• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like this jacket in red. Too bad I already have it in beige. Then again I think it would only suit me if I was tanned... which I'm really due for.

dbsjzm.jpg

edit: hey wtf, bullshit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And why is it banned? Pics uploaded to tinypic stay there forever, never had a problem.

anyway here it is:

jgSnJ.jpg

Rookje

Any of you guys having office holiday parties? I always enjoy them because it allows me to step it up a bit fashion wise since my workplace is casual.

Still thinking about what to wear honestly. Probably just go with a gray suit, brown oxfords with matching belt, green tie, white linen pocket square, and white fitted spread collar shirt.

I am, I'm wearing this Blazer but with probably black N&F denim, dress shoes, and a tuxedo-esque shirt.

http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category/us/en/zara-us-W2011/156001/#{"lookDetail":5}

OG Kush

Pretty much all t shirts or button downs will shrink after your first wash or two. It depends on how you wash and dry it though. Hot water and drying it in the dryer lead to more shrinkage, cold water and hang drying to minimal shrinkage.

Non piss tinted pictures

cool, thanks.
Also what jeans are these?

I think it's fine to dress nicely, but I had to tone it down a bit. When I was in college I was routinely accused of being gay by girls because they said I dressed way too nicely. For a lot of girls, caring too much about appearance and fashion is a complete turn off. I actually became much more successful with meeting women when I mixed up my wardrobe a bit.

Alucrid

Banned
cool, thanks.
Also what jeans are these?

Pure Blue Japan xx007

I think it's fine to dress nicely, but I had to tone it down a bit. When I was in college I was routinely accused of being gay by girls because they said I dressed way too nicely. For a lot of girls, caring too much about appearance and fashion is a complete turn off. I actually became much more successful with meeting women when I mixed up my wardrobe a bit.

I mean, what were you wearing that classified as nicely? Shirt and tie?

Yeah that's college.

"What the... is he tucking his shirt into his pants? El oh el what a homo."

Yeah that's college.

"What the... is he tucking his shirt into his pants? El oh el what a homo."

haha in college i was like "man, tucking in your shirt is for old people."

im only 25, but i pretty much tuck in my button down shirts all the time; it just looks better, esp if the fit of the shirt and pants creates a nice slim silhouette.

I get a lot of looks like dayyuuuuuummm whenever I dress nicely in my college (University of Toronto). That's before they see my face tho.

Alucrid

Banned

Post #2. If that shit does happen to me, which isn't often, the girl in question is usually wearing yoga pants, uggs and a northface fleece. I just laugh.

I recently got some cords from a crazy online Levi's store sale a few weeks back in the 514 fit. They feel really tough and durable, which I quite like. In comparison, I bought a pair of Levi's cords a year ago at Macy's and they're a lot softer but flimsier than the newer ones I got. They were made with 90% cotton and 10 % spandex, and they've been retired after a winter's wear. These newer ones though are 100% cotton and they feel like they'll last for quite a few years. I'm pumped to wear the shit out of them. There are a lot more wales on the newer ones too so definitely more casual, which is better for my wardrobe.

Anyway GAF, I was wondering if you wear cords and, if so, what brands do you like to wear?

I recently got some cords from a crazy online Levi's store sale a few weeks back in the 514 fit. They feel really tough and durable, which I quite like. In comparison, I bought a pair of Levi's cords a year ago at Macy's and they're a lot softer but flimsier than the newer ones I got. They were made with 90% cotton and 10 % spandex, and they've been retired after a winter's wear. These newer ones though are 100% cotton and they feel like they'll last for quite a few years. I'm pumped to wear the shit out of them. There are a lot more wales on the newer ones too so definitely more casual, which is better for my wardrobe.

Anyway GAF, I was wondering if you wear cords and, if so, what brands do you like to wear?

levi's 511 and jcrew vintage slim fit

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, I think it's finally time to post in here and get help overhauling my wardrobe. I am 25 and work a full time job. My typical attire out and about usually consists of jeans and a t shirt or hoodie and a baseball cap. I know this is not helping my overall situation with women, which is poor and has been for a few years and I feel it's time to step it up a bit.

The main issue is that I still need to stick with jeans outside of work, as none of my friends, nor anyone out and about wears khakis as I live in a college town still. I had recently gone with jeans and a polo, and that looks decent, but I need more, and more that will not break the bank hopefully. What do you guys wear with jeans, and what kind of fairly inexpensive jeans would you suggest? We've got a mall here, but the typical is all that's there (American Eagle. Aeropostale, JC Penny, etc.).

I can post a pic of myself in the morning if needed but I have an average build, am about 6' and have "hipster" style black rimmed glasses, I guess that's the best way to describe them (Armani frames). I actually got the glasses to break me out of my comfort zone and to kick start a change.

To this day I only have 3 pairs of work khakis and 5 polos. I can never find button ups that fit quite right (slim fit, for my body type) and it frustrates me to no end tucking my work shirt in and doing that little pull out thing to have a bit of shirt hang over my belt. Never seems to look quite right.

Sorry for the length, I just don't have any idea where to begin. Basic tips? Everyday clothing that is still relaxed?

Edit: we have a Gap, and I found these jeans that I actually really like...
http://mensfashion.about.com/od/dressingonabudget/ss/CheapJeans_5.htm

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Alucrid

Banned

Negative. Dress pants for dress, business casual means chinos, otherwise dem jeans.

Hey fashion thread, I need a messenger bag style briefcase replacement. Any suggestions, under 100 budget in the US?
I think latinlikeaviolin got some kind of canvas messenger bag that looked nice. otherwise this really isn't my dept sorry :(

I have a dark royal blue thin-wale velvet-corduroy suit that I never wear, and I'm not sure if it fits me anymore. Looked nice in the winter tho. It's MJ Collection fwiw. Very nice, but I've found that velvets and fine cords wear easy at areas with lots of friction, so I haven't really pursued the fabric more.

TxdoHawk

New pair of sneakers.
0aa492d1.jpg

Are these the New Balances that J.Crew is selling? I was sorely tempted to buy a pair early on in the last 30% off sale (the coupon code was working on them, even though it wasn't supposed to be). They looked really nice in-store, but I'd love to hear how they hold up after some wear.

TxdoHawk

I finally gave up and ordered a pair of the Hawkings McGill wingtip boots Dappered loves so much. I'm not expecting much at $90 and UO quality...but I also figure at that price I won't be terrified to wear them out of the house (unlike the $500+ pair of Aldens I really want...)

Hey fashion thread, I need a messenger bag style briefcase replacement. Any suggestions, under 100 budget in the US?

If it can be a casual-styled bag, I like Timbuk2. Full retail might be over your budget depending on how big a bag you want...but they are often on sale at lots of places around the 'net. The one I bought looks about as good as it did the day I bought it, which I can't say about any other messenger I've actually put some use into.

If you need/want something more formal, I've got nothin', sorry.

bedlamite

I have an Unit Portables bag and I'm liking it quite a bit. Not sure where they're available in the US, but their website ships internationally. The bag's front pockets are removable and there are also straps on the inside of the bag so you can attach the pockets into the bag if you like. The bags have a few color options (I went with the olive), and there are 13" and 15" models. The bag is slightly over your budget but I think it's worth it.

Negative. Dress pants for dress, business casual means chinos, otherwise dem jeans.

But how do you stay warm?

I think latinlikeaviolin got some kind of canvas messenger bag that looked nice. otherwise this really isn't my dept sorry :(

You mean this one? They're a bit more costly than his price range, but they're worth every dollar. I actually find them quite a bargain compared to some of the prices big brands charge for their uglier and not-as-well constructed offerings, though there are some bigger brands that can justify the cost (ex. Filson). That being said, maybe this will work well for you?

Are we talking major overhaul? So allow me to warn you that a major overhaul takes time and effort, and you don't immediately start dressing well. The first thing you should think about then is fit, because that's seriously the most important part of dressing well. If you're willing, you should read The Esquire Handbook of Style, which will tell you all about the different kinds of clothes there are, how they should approximately fit, when you should wear them, how to take care of them among other things. If you still want to learn more after reading that book, then look at this intro. Otherwise, I can point you in the direction of cheaper shirts that fit slim: Land's End Canvas. Hope this helps :)

Alucrid

Banned
But how do you stay warm?

You mean this one? They're a bit more costly than his price range, but they're worth every dollar. I actually find them quite a bargain compared to some of the prices big brands charge for their uglier and not-as-well constructed offerings, though there are some bigger brands that can justify the cost (ex. Filson). That being said, maybe this will work well for you?

Are we talking major overhaul? So allow me to warn you that a major overhaul takes time and effort, and you don't immediately start dressing well. The first thing you should think about then is fit, because that's seriously the most important part of dressing well. If you're willing, you should read The Esquire Handbook of Style, which will tell you all about the different kinds of clothes there are, how they should approximately fit, when you should wear them, how to take care of them among other things. If you still want to learn more after reading that book, then look at this intro. Otherwise, I can point you in the direction of cheaper shirts that fit slim: Land's End Canvas. Hope this helps :)

Wool dress pants, heavy weight chinos, heavy oz denim. If im still cold or wearing thinner pants then I add long jawns

^^ Nah im saying when not at work I only wear jeans

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Thanks, I'll take a look. Like I said the main issue is getting casual wear that involves jeans, as no one really wears chinos/khakis out and about, and also getting some new work-wear.

EDIT:

See, this is what I can't seem to do. In the pic below at the link the dude has his dress shirt tucked in, but he doesn't do the "pull out" thing so that the shirt overhangs the belt. I can never get that to look right, I always have to pull out some of my shirt for an overhang...

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/StripedOxford~211460_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BJU&CM_MERCH=IDX_Men-_-Sale&origin=index

Alucrid

Banned
I dunno where you work, but business casual at my office in NYC means slacks or pressed khakis (NEVER jeans, even khakis are pushing it).

Just got these boots off Gilt, thoughts?
http://www.stayhard.eu/Product.aspx?productID=58485&attribute1Value=6536

Thanks, I'll take a look. Like I said the main issue is getting casual wear that involves jeans, as no one really wears chinos/khakis out and about, and also getting some new work-wear.

EDIT:

See, this is what I can't seem to do. In the pic below at the link the dude has his dress shirt tucked in, but he doesn't do the "pull out" thing so that the shirt overhangs the belt. I can never get that to look right, I always have to pull out some of my shirt for an overhang...

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/StripedOxford~211460_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BJU&CM_MERCH=IDX_Men-_-Sale&origin=index

Could try slimmer shirts. Also that's a modeling picture so of course it'll look perfect
Could have it pinned back for all we know.

Are these the New Balances that J.Crew is selling? I was sorely tempted to buy a pair early on in the last 30% off sale (the coupon code was working on them, even though it wasn't supposed to be). They looked really nice in-store, but I'd love to hear how they hold up after some wear.

Indeed they are the J.Crew 1400 and yes, their Cyber Monday sale (25% off any item w/free shipping) drove me to get them. As for how they'll hold up, probably as good as any of the NBs made in the USA. My 992s are probably close to four years old and look the same on the outside while the inside is all worn out - still comfy though.

I'll let you all know how these hold up after wearing them. They'll be broken-in during New Year's at Disneyland.

Besides a slimmer fit, longer shirts stay tucked

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Besides a slimmer fit, longer shirts stay tucked

Doesn't the back pull out as soon as you sit down? I always have some shirt pulled out covering my belt all the way around most of the time. True it is a model shot.

Thoughts on these shoes? Yeah North Face, but my last pair of NF shoes were amazing.

AWNE_RP2_hero

Rocksteady33

Alright, I think it's finally time to post in here and get help overhauling my wardrobe. I am 25 and work a full time job. My typical attire out and about usually consists of jeans and a t shirt or hoodie and a baseball cap. I know this is not helping my overall situation with women, which is poor and has been for a few years and I feel it's time to step it up a bit.

The main issue is that I still need to stick with jeans outside of work, as none of my friends, nor anyone out and about wears khakis as I live in a college town still. I had recently gone with jeans and a polo, and that looks decent, but I need more, and more that will not break the bank hopefully. What do you guys wear with jeans, and what kind of fairly inexpensive jeans would you suggest? We've got a mall here, but the typical is all that's there (American Eagle. Aeropostale, JC Penny, etc.).

Dude. Please do not buy clothes in Ames, Iowa. Seriously going to school there I've realized that not only Ames, but almost the entire state of Iowa (aside from MAYBE Iowa City/West Des Moines) is about 8 years behind in fashion. And frankly most people don't get it. When I went to college there I could not believe how many people post high school still wear American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostale, Holister, etc. Avoid these brands, and go with nearly anything else that can't be found in the state of Iowa and you will look better than 95% of the people walking around. Hell even J.Crew which is a pretty common brand is almost non existent in Iowa (pretty sure there's only one store in the entire state) and will be a nice easy wardrobe upgrade (~25-50% more expensive than those high school brands though).

Do not be ashamed to wear khakis, dress shirts, etc., into the bars around Ames. You're probably right that you'll get some weird looks from the guys, might even get some degrading comments. But honestly I've talked to so many girls in those bars that laugh at the farm boy wardrobe that so many guys flaunt around Ames. All of the Minneapolis/Chicago girls will immediately notice you because they are used to seeing those guys back home. With a little effort you can dress better than most guys running around Ames. I wish I had known this earlier, as I didn't start really trying until my junior year or so.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dude. Please do not buy clothes in Ames, Iowa. Seriously going to school there I've realized that not only Ames, but almost the entire state of Iowa (aside from MAYBE Iowa City/West Des Moines) is about 8 years behind in fashion. And frankly most people don't get it. When I went to college there I could not believe how many people post high school still wear American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostale, Holister, etc. Avoid these brands, and go with nearly anything else that can't be found in the state of Iowa and you will look better than 95% of the people walking around. Hell even J.Crew which is a pretty common brand is almost non existent in Iowa (pretty sure there's only one store in the entire state) and will be a nice easy wardrobe upgrade (~25-50% more expensive than those high school brands though).

Do not be ashamed to wear khakis, dress shirts, etc., into the bars around Ames. You're probably right that you'll get some weird looks from the guys, might even get some degrading comments. But honestly I've talked to so many girls in those bars that laugh at the farm boy wardrobe that so many guys flaunt around Ames. All of the Minneapolis/Chicago girls will immediately notice you because they are used to seeing those guys back home. With a little effort you can dress better than most guys running around Ames. I wish I had known this earlier, as I didn't start really trying until my junior year or so.

Good to see another Cyclone in here. :p

I agree quite a bit with your outlook on what people wear here, heck, I own a few AE button-ups myself as that is what I see people wearing around here.

The chino/khaki thing will just be a bit hard for me to digest as I don't ever wear that stuff outside of work, nor do any of my friends, so it would be an odd thing just to start wearing that on a daily basis, but I can try to work some in. I thought about just getting some nicer style jeans, with some brown "dressy" shoes and some nice shirts to start with. That alone would be an upgrade over my normal jeans/t-shirt/hat wardrobe. I just need to figure out where to buy such things that doesn't kill my bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom