• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of everyday boots and something more formal for work for around 100-200ish? I'm looking to pick up a pair while I'm in the states next week. I'm dying to wear something other than sneakers. (I can't get over a size 10.5 in anything but sneakers in Japan.)

Just a heads up to anyone who used the SANTA 1212 code I posted the other day for Lands End Canvas.

There is now a new code, DONNER. Pin: 1585. This is for 40% off + free shipping. I spoke to them over chat and they did a price adjustment. Saved a few more dollars.

thanks for the heads up. i ended up buying teh boots last night, gonna hop on chat right now for a price adjustment

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just a heads up to anyone who used the SANTA 1212 code I posted the other day for Lands End Canvas.

There is now a new code, DONNER. Pin: 1585. This is for 40% off + free shipping. I spoke to them over chat and they did a price adjustment. Saved a few more dollars.

Fantastic. I just contacted them, and they price adjusted for me too. Thanks for the heads up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So this is one of the outfits I bought for work last weekend. Disregard the MySpace-style picture and dirty mirror. Does it look ok?

IMG_20111212_063942.jpg

EDIT: Here's the actual haul.

IMG_20111210_143046.jpg

That polo fits you very well and looks pretty good for the office. Personally I don't like mixing polos with a more "formal" black pant.

Well personally I hate wearing polos, period, but that looks good on you. No undershirt, though.

Fuck a polo shirt. If you have to tuck, then wear a button up.
Nah, the right polos (aka, Ralph Lauren) look clean when tucked in. They just gotta be a good fit--his is too loose to tuck it in, it needs to be snugger and more form-fitting.

Definitely only wear tanktops/A-shirts under polos, though. The only time I broke that rule was when I worked retail and wore an undershirt that matched my lime green chinos, haha.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Nah, the right polos (aka, Ralph Lauren) look clean when tucked in. They just gotta be a good fit--his is too loose to tuck it in, it needs to be snugger and more form-fitting.

Definitely only wear tanktops/A-shirts under polos, though. The only time I broke that rule was when I worked retail and wore an undershirt that matched my lime green chinos, haha.

You've gotta be thin to tuck a polo too. I can't pull it off anymore. I've got some slight, unsightly muffin topping going in my current form.

Doytch

I think it always looks better to have one that just passes your belt and to leave it untucked. A well-fitted (read: euro-fitted, not bro-fitted) polo is nails as shit if you've got the body to rock it.

You've gotta be thin to tuck a polo too. I can't pull it off anymore. I've got some slight, unsightly muffin topping going in my current form.
Yeah, a fat guy with a tucked in polo is disastrous. I don't think you need to be that thin, though--I've seen some huskier guys still look respectable, but you are right in general.

Desi

don't wear an undershirt with the polo. When I wore a polo I would button it all the way up but then again I do that with all my shirts the majority of the time.

BobsRevenge

I think it always looks better to have one that just passes your belt and to leave it untucked. A well-fitted (read: euro-fitted, not bro-fitted) polo is nails as shit if you've got the body to rock it.

What's bro-fitted, out of curiosity?

BobsRevenge

about level with the scrotum, rather than the belt

D: D: D:

Yeah, that's disgusting. I hate it when I see it. I wear Express polos most of the time. They're relatively cheap and are cut decently. They aren't cut as perfectly as a Ralph Lauren, but for the price I don't mind so much. I do tend to wear them a little tight, which I know is kinda douchey, but fuck it, I look good.

I generally like to wear a clean look, so Express suits me. Ralph Lauren is ideal, but I can't afford it most of the time.

Doytch

What's bro-fitted, out of curiosity?
I meant it as completely skin-tight. I probably wear mine same as you, so that it's fitted to be on my stomach rather than just drape or hang off. But it is possible to take things to the extreme.
I do tend to wear them a little tight, which I know is kinda douchey, but fuck it, I look good.
Hi5.

don't wear an undershirt with the polo. When I wore a polo I would button it all the way up but then again I do that with all my shirts the majority of the time.
Uh...I honestly don't know any time where I'd advise you button up a polo. Generally if you're in a scenario which requires that level of formality, you might as well just get a short sleeve button-down.
D: D: D:

Yeah, that's disgusting. I hate it when I see it. I wear Express polos most of the time. They're relatively cheap and are cut decently. They aren't cut as perfectly as a Ralph Lauren, but for the price I don't mind so much. I do tend to wear them a little tight, which I know is kinda douchey, but fuck it, I look good.

I generally like to wear a clean look, so Express suits me. Ralph Lauren is ideal, but I can't afford it most of the time.
US Polo Assc. has some pretty nice ones too, as does Nautica. Navy is a must (goes gloriously with khakis), but a hot pink one is clutch too.

BobsRevenge

I meant it as completely skin-tight. I probably wear mine same as you, so that it's fitted to be on my stomach rather than just drape or hang off. But it is possible to take things to the extreme.

Hi5.

The draping down the back is the main thing I worry about. It has to follow the arch a little bit, or else you lose the slim look. I have a large upper-body due to a deep chest, so I feel like if I don't wear a fitted look I look like I might be overweight. I'm also short, so fit is absolutely key.

Which reminds me, I can't stand all the extra fabric that people seem to be okay with on dress shirts. It blows my mind that so many people think it looks okay, as it seems to be dominant.

Alucrid

Banned
The draping down the back is the main thing I worry about. It has to follow the arch a little bit, or else you lose the slim look. I have a large upper-body due to a deep chest, so I feel like if I don't wear a fitted look I look like I might be overweight. I'm also short, so fit is absolutely key.

Which reminds me, I can't stand all the extra fabric that people seem to be okay with on dress shirts. It blows my mind that so many people think it looks okay, as it seems to be dominant.

Good slim fit dress shirts are rare and I doubt many people will tailor theirs. I know I pay a fair amount for shirts with fit fabrics and colors I like

dralla

as a Bday gift to myself I did a bunch of shopping today. I come home and see a package at my door, its my Polo Zales

1492569-p-2x.jpg

i loooooove them. so sexy

LordCanti

The hunt for cheap shoes continues I guess. Clark's can be had for the same price as any other shoes worth buying from LE that I can find, even with the discount code (and I've spent way too much to consider buying myself a pair at this point, lol)

Thanks guys.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
yay or nay on this pants/shoes combo?

ilF2zrRS0ldbG.JPG

gunna wear with my peacoat and a darkish w/ a stripe of red scarf to a small music venue tonight.
If this shit seriously doesn't work I'll just wear my Nike SB's. nothing flashy just nice looking sneakers.

So this is one of the outfits I bought for work last weekend. Disregard the MySpace-style picture and dirty mirror. Does it look ok?

IMG_20111212_063942.jpg

Here's a tip besides the fit. Why don't you switch up the colour? Here you're using way too many dark colours when it looks like you have a pretty cool skin tone (no offense or anything; it may just be the lighting). In effect, they overwhelm you man (like we see the clothes before we see you). Maybe try choosing lighter colours? Khaki would work well. Black is especially hard to pull off and actually makes a bunch of people look pale and sickly. I've always preferred navy or gray as a sober colour because of that

Having an undershirt show through a shirt with buttons generally looks bad, or at least having no shirt in the open looks exponentially better.
Even a white undershirt showing through with a white shirt on top? like a white undershirt + white button up shirt with the first button unbuttoned because it chokes. I wear them so I don't have to wash the button up every time

Alucrid

Banned
Even a white undershirt showing through with a white shirt on top? like a white undershirt + white button up shirt with the first button unbuttoned because it chokes. I wear them so I don't have to wash the button up every time

And thus v necks were invented.

eosos

Banned
Wait, wait. Hold on. No undershirt under like dress shirt? What?! So like I would not wear a white undershirt under this?

womens-poplin-stretch-dress-shirts-black-jack.jpg

News to me gotta try this out next time. Also what are some nice cheapish jeans I could buy online?

Wait, wait. Hold on. No undershirt under like dress shirt? What?! So like I would not wear a white undershirt under this?

News to me gotta try this out next time. Also what are some nice cheapish jeans I could buy online?

Yeah I don't really get it either. What would look so bad about a white shirt underneath that black dress shirt...

I think the idea is you wear something like a v-neck so that the undershirt cannot be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom