• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Well, v-necks are disgusting, so that's understandable.

lol, no

If you want to wear something underneath your button or polo shirt, v-necks are the way to go. But not the long-v necks though

But why would that look bad if a white shirt underneath was seen..........

well considering thats a women's shirt....

and wearing a white shirt underneath a black one makes it look tacky

_Isaac

I like being able to see the undershirt, unless you have manly hairy chest then go for it and go without an undershirt.

R2Jval.jpg

Undershirt - YES
Chest Hair - NO
Visible Undershirt - NO

It's not that hard

eosos

Banned
lol, no

If you want to wear something underneath your button or polo shirt, v-necks are the way to go. But not the long-v necks though

well considering thats a women's shirt....

and wearing a white shirt underneath a black one makes it look tacky

Yeah, I just looked up black dress shirt on google real quick. You really think it looks tacky? Hmm I'll try it out the other way next time.

Cause v-necks are more formal than the very informal crewnecks. Adding a crewneck to an unbuttoned dress shirt, which is supposed to make you look swanky, just does not belong.

Also, men aren't supposed to show their undergarments
-your fucking grandpa speaking

soultron

Banned
I have awkward hairs that grow between my collar bones, extending up from my regular chest hair. That shit is awkward. I have to shave it all the time and usually end up nicking myself.

That's why I wear undershirts underneath a button-up.

As a Brit, I've always found the American obsession with wearing undershirts very confusing. Nothing looks worse than someone wearing a beautiful, crisp dress shirt and having some crew-neck white undershirt visible when they have a couple of buttons undone. Ew.

Additionally, I really don't see the problem with visible chest hair. I get that this is far more subjective than the undershirt issue, as some people don't like the look, but if I'm wearing a casual shirt, I'm unbuttoning both the top button and the next one down, and that's going to result in some visible chest hair. I think it looks fine, and better than just undoing the top button in a casual setting, but it looks like opinion is against me on this one.

soultron

Banned
As a Brit, I've always found the American obsession with wearing undershirts very confusing. Nothing looks worse than someone wearing a beautiful, crisp dress shirt and having some crew-neck white undershirt visible when they have a couple of buttons undone. Ew.

Additionally, I really don't see the problem with visible chest hair. I get that this is far more subjective than the undershirt issue, as some people don't like the look, but if I'm wearing a casual shirt, I'm unbuttoning both the top button and the next one down, and that's going to result in some visible chest hair. I think it looks fine, and better than just undoing the top button in a casual setting, but it looks like opinion is against me on this one.

For me it's a comfort thing too though. I tend to buy cheaper dress shirts. The craftsmanship tends to be of lower quality and causes some slight chafing if I don't wear an undershirt.

I'm a ninny.

You're not wrong in your thinking. I wish I could do the same, but I've just grown into this habit of mine.

Desi

Yeah, I just looked up black dress shirt on google real quick. You really think it looks tacky? Hmm I'll try it out the other way next time.
Johannes Itten says "A man with a black shirt has a black soul". Trust him, he invented the modern color wheel!!

Black shirts in casual settings are awesome. There is literally no disputing this - on a night out, I get more compliments from men and women alike about a simply dark jean / black shirt combo than when I put in loads of effort with something more complex.

Glad someone else said it! I would never wear a t shirt underneath and polo or dress shirt. The only time I do is when its is absolutely bollock freezing cold and under a flannel style shirt.

The pic a few above me is pretty much how I wear anyshirt, trying to get used to having all the buttons up all of the time but my chest/shoulders are on the limit of medium and ill be damned if im wearing a massively baggy/long large!

Alucrid

Banned

Sweat stains.

Black shirts in casual settings are awesome. There is literally no disputing this - on a night out, I get more compliments from men and women alike about a simply dark jean / black shirt combo than when I put in loads of effort with something more complex.
Can you give an example of this? A random google image pic or something

Alucrid

Banned
shave your pits and use arm & hammer deodorant. i used to get yellowing with tom's and such. haven't had it in years.

maybe i have shared too much.

Yep. I use arm and hammer since it has no aluminum, which is apparently the thin that causes sweat stains. I also don't get very hairy pits.

Einbroch

Banned
Unless you're fit, undershirts are a must. I'm sorry, they are. They smooth out your unsightly curves and make you look way better.

I'm overweight but fairly good looking, and undershirts make me look much thinner.

Even on a skinny guy, a slim undershirt under a button-up shirt will add a little bulk in the shoulders. I've also found it helps keep the button-up's tuck in place; my shirts bunch up at the waist a lot less when I have an undershirt on.

kaskade

Unless you're fit, undershirts are a must. I'm sorry, they are. They smooth out your unsightly curves and make you look way better.

I'm overweight but fairly good looking, and undershirts make me look much thinner.

I used to be chubbier before I started working out and used to wear undershirts. They definitely did help. It's kind of nice to not have to wear one now during the summer though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

To me it's simple:

1- Undershirt is acceptable if we don't see it, like a tanktop would be.
2- If your chest is visible after unbuttoning the top, there should be no visible chest air.
3- If you have an undershirt under your shirt and are going to unbutton the top of the shirt anyway, make it a V undershirt so we don't see the shirt.

For black shirts, same. At night, short-sleeved fitted polo of a thin fabric can be really nice (even with the shoulder straps it still looks good). Has to be fitted though.

Loose polos look horrible on me. I'm slim/V-shaped so fitted clothes look much better.

I think a black button-up and jeans can be a great look(works less well with the really dark jeans). Black shirts and khaki dress pants is usually a bad idea and please don't wear a black button-up and black dress pants. Seriously, please reconsider if you do this. I think people in our...scene, so to speak, tend to be more likely to think that looks cool. It is dreadful.

I always wear v-necks with my button ups, and I recommend the same to others. But, I think a quality, colored crew neck t-shirt(not an undershirt) can work in some contexts/color combos.

_Isaac

To me it's simple:

1- Undershirt is acceptable if we don't see it, like a tanktop would be.
2- If your chest is visible after unbuttoning the top, there should be no visible chest air.
3- If you have an undershirt under your shirt and are going to unbutton the top of the shirt anyway, make it a V undershirt so we don't see the shirt.

So I'm always going to have to keep the top button buttoned up because I'll have chest hair showing.

Pardon the "shine", flash caught the reflective material. Anyways, couldn't resist the Friday J.Crew sale (30% off purchase) and wanted the 1400s in the navy. They originally weren't going to honor the sale price, but since I had told them that the website allowed the discount, they did it in store.

60396369.jpg

Probably my favorite new casual sneaker right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I'm always going to have to keep the top button buttoned up because I'll have chest hair showing.

Nah I use my body groomer on that, don't even have to remove everything, just what is too high, and around the nipples lol. So just some trimming.

There's nothing wrong with chest hair and I think it's quite disturbing than men are being conditioned into thinking there is.

See my comment. There is a difference between removing all chest hair and just trimming.

Nah I use my body groomer on that, don't even have to remove everything, just what is too high, and around the nipples lol. So just some trimming.

See my comment. There is a difference between removing all chest hair and just trimming.

I trim too. I'm talking about men thinking that it is not okay to sport chest hair because many women prefer that they don't have it. I'm sorry, but if a woman tells me to shave off my chest hair she's going to be told to fuck off.

There's nothing wrong with chest hair and I think it's quite disturbing than men are being conditioned into thinking there is.
There might be a certain degree to which you have it, but honestly when I see people with chest hair (often the people who show it also have a lot of it), I just think that the person is covered with it because they don't have good body upkeep and are probably dirty. Of course, I don't mean actually dirty (well, sometimes), but I personally don't think it's a good look.

Honestly, nothing disturbing about it. If chest hair is the epitome of manliness or masculinity, I don't think it's a good representation. It's something from the past, IMO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I trim too. I'm talking about men thinking that it is not okay to sport chest hair because many women prefer that they don't have it. I'm sorry, but if a woman tells me to shave off my chest hair she's going to be told to fuck off.

Most real women I know just want a guy who is healthy and takes care of himself. A lot of them actually prefer some hair, as long as the guy is groomed.

snoopen

I think undershirts are awful, when i was slightly overweight they gave me confidence going out / at work.. now i have a solid chest from gymming i regret not working out earlier. Undershirts aren't for confident people, sorry guys.

I think undershirts are awful, when i was slightly overweight they gave me confidence going out / at work.. now i have a solid chest from gymming i regret not working out earlier. Undershirts aren't for confident people, sorry guys.
But that's because you wore them purely for the ability to be a bit more confident, not for comfort. There's nothing wrong with wearing an undershirt because that's more comfortable to you, and if you do, it barely detracts from how you look anyways. Everyone will see the side differently, no need to throw in the fact that you wore undershirts to hide a poor figure therefore that's the only reason to.

Leave it to GAF to make the biggest deal out of the most nonsense shit.

Doytch

I have a feeling undershirts are gonna be this thread's tipping debates.

To reverse this: overshirts! Been fucking around with these lately since I'm still getting used to 18C/70F Decembers. My favourite has been a bowtie + dress shirt with casual overshirt on top. Had a party yesterday where I rocked a grey wool bowtie on a white dress shirt, with a mostly buttoned-up purple/black/navy/white plaid flannel over shirt. Rolling both sleeves gets you a nice white cuff at your elbows. Compliments aplenty and I left with a new ladyfriend, so it can't just be me that loves this look. Could just be the extreme confidence a bowtie gives me, though, lol.

Oh, and yeah, I totally cribbed this idea from The Style Blogger.

I'd like to get some thoughts on these shoes. I've been looking for a new pair of casual shoes and I'd had my eye on these but I just want some opinions.

oGKuh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom