• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
A lot of people on this forum choose to spend lots of their money on games (obviously). I choose to spend on clothes, since they are one of the few things I actually have the time to enjoy. It's all about what's important to you.

Get some Common Projects

common_projects_sneakers.jpg

Those are nice but way out of my price range, haha.

That's still way more than I want to spend. I actually want to get a pair of running shoes and a pair of casual, everyday shoes. I've always had one pair to cover both areas and am wanting to change that. I'm not a very fashionable person unless I have to be. I'm a t-shirt and jeans/cargo shorts guy.

I was actually hesitant on even posting in this thread because my sense of fashion seems to be the opposite of everyone else's.

That's still way more than I want to spend. I actually want to get a pair of running shoes and a pair of casual, everyday shoes. I've always had one pair to cover both areas and am wanting to change that. I'm not a very fashionable person unless I have to be. I'm a t-shirt and jeans/cargo shorts guy.

I was actually hesitant on even posting in this thread because my sense of fashion seems to be the opposite of everyone else's.

We're here to help you, friend.

Visceir

Hmm, I guess I'm one of those poor bastards who can't afford designer stuff and I doubt I ever would. It's just too much...like some of the sweaters that were posted here for like 300$.

That again forces me to just put more effort or time into finding and getting what I want. Being it with heavy discounts or just something similar but much cheaper. Good examples being the "leather" jacket I got for 60$, that now fits me perfectly.

Last weekend I roamed around the stores, looking for some sweaters. Saw a nice, basic grey v-neck sweater in one store, discounted from 28€ to 20€ and then got an extra 3€ off for just being charming with the sales woman.

Meanwhile in the other store I saw a high neck zip up sweater with neat nordic designs that was 100€. I would have bought it if I had REALLY liked it but the nordic design of it was a bit off and I passed up on it, even though I could have gotten a heavy discount on it (I know the girl who works there). I would have probably bought it if I had REALLY liked it.

More power to you if you can afford it but in most cases there is a much cheaper alternative if you bother to look.

Hmm, I guess I'm one of those poor bastards who can't afford designer stuff and I doubt I ever would. It's just too much...like some of the sweaters that were posted here for like 300$.

That again forces me to just put more effort or time into finding and getting what I want. Being it with heavy discounts or just something similar but much cheaper. Good examples being the "leather" jacket I got for 60$, that now fits me perfectly.

Last weekend I roamed around the stores, looking for some sweaters. Saw a nice, basic grey v-neck sweater in one store, discounted from 28€ to 20€ and then got an extra 3€ off for just being charming with the sales woman.

Meanwhile in the other store I saw a high neck zip up sweater with neat nordic designs that was 100€. I would have bought it if I had REALLY liked it but the nordic design of it was a bit off and I passed up on it, even though I could have gotten a heavy discount on it (I know the girl who works there). I would have probably bought it if I had REALLY liked it.

More power to you if you can afford it but in most cases there is a much cheaper alternative if you bother to look.

There is a very fine line between alternatives and knock-offs/wannabes. Tread carefully.

You're assuming superficial looks or aesthetics are the only reason things are expensive. A $300 wool, long-staple and well-knit sweater will last much longer than a cheap $20 one, even if they are similar in apprearance on the rack or in photos.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
A job. And budgeting away from other things.

I mean, I guess I have enough money to buy these things. But I don't have enough money to actually feel comfortable with the purchase. :lol

Like, I just can't fathom budgeting so much for clothing. I go through spurts of updating my wardrobe, but I doubt I spend more than $500 a year on clothing.

This Christmas and for my birthday though, I'm really pushing to get some decent stuff from my parents so I can evolve into a more mature look. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to do this (I'm 24), but as long as they're willing I'll take advantage. :lol

bob page

I mean, I guess I have enough money to buy these things. But I don't have enough money to actually feel comfortable with the purchase. :lol

Like, I just can't fathom budgeting so much for clothing. I go through spurts of updating my wardrobe, but I doubt I spend more than $500 a year on clothing.

This Christmas and for my birthday though, I'm really pushing to get some decent stuff from my parents so I can evolve into a more mature look. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to do this (I'm 24), but as long as they're willing I'll take advantage. :lol

Think of it as an investment in yourself, just as you would going to the dentist.

Most people definitely notice if you dress well (especially women and employers). It's worth it to look your best.

Visceir

You're assuming superficial looks or aesthetics are the only reason things are expensive. A $300 wool, long-staple and well-knit sweater will last much longer than a cheap $20 one, even if they are similar in apprearance on the rack or in photos.

You have to work with what you got. But it's not like I meant "go find some cheap knockoff on ebay" by what I said, it was more along the lines of "go browse some more and see what's out there, you might find something way more awesome."

I usually stick to local european brands and I can't complain over the quality.

You a 12.5 or 13? If the former the 12 will work fine. Otherwise, damn, only a few companies out there make a true 13. Common projects or Marc Jacobs are the only ones that come to mind.

Alcoori

So I'm wearing a button-up without an undershirt today. I feel so naked. Everything rubs on my nipples all funny.

I have seriously never understood the undershirt thing. To me the only reason to wear one would be because the shirt is sorta see-through, which in itself is a no-no for me.
It might be a cultural thing too, I don't think I've seen a lot of men do that in France compared to here in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwjcpEEkPs

man, did Ryan Gosling look boss in that movie.

Ironically, I do own a pair of NB 992s that are quite beat up too. ^_^

If they're good enough for Steve Jobs, they're good enough for me.

Wait someone actually posted about buying New Balance sneakers? Lol.

And sure? I mean, I didn't think there was anything wrong with them. Thought they were cool in a retro way, due to the style not being available here in the US (they were Japan exclusive NBs until they partnered with J.Crew). But carry on, I'll enjoy my NBs with my selvedge jeans and plain t-shirts. :)

Alucrid

Banned
Ironically, I do own a pair of NB 992s that are quite beat up too. ^_^

If they're good enough for Steve Jobs, they're good enough for me.

And sure? I mean, I didn't think there was anything wrong with them. Thought they were cool in a retro way, due to the style not being available here in the US (they were Japan exclusive NBs until they partnered with J.Crew). But carry on, I'll enjoy my NBs with my selvedge jeans and plain t-shirts. :)

You are now confined to dad jeans, black turtlenecks and those beat up new balances for life.

Just call them jeans, what doesn't have selvage these days.

dubc35

hola manshion, what are your recommendations for black dress shoes? i prefer the slip on ones and a matte or satin finish ar opposed to the shiny finish. I'm also looking for a round toe, instead of square. <$120 preferred

Doytch

hola manshion, what are your recommendations for black dress shoes? i prefer the slip on ones and a matte or satin finish ar opposed to the shiny finish. I'm also looking for a round toe, instead of square. <$120 preferred

Loafers aren't dress shoes. Oxford or bust. And for the love of Christ, I don't drop 200+ on shoes regularly, but do it for your dress ones. Please.

dubc35

Loafers aren't dress shoes. Oxford or bust. And for the love of Christ, I don't drop 200+ on shoes regularly, but do it for your dress ones. Please.

Ha, I knew I was walking into that. I was posting from my phone and in my haste I left out some key details. I live in Seattle. It's the most casual city on earth. Hoodies are acceptable for men in their mid 30's, heck probably 40's too. I work for a manufacturing company but I work on the engineering/business side. I'm one of the very, very few non-management employees that doesn't wear jeans. I'm in the office most of the time but I do need to be on the manufacturing floor some. I'll look into Oxfords. I'm not so hung up on price. I want something comfortable and good looking for button down/khakis and not something for a suit. Sorry, my original request for recommendations probably wasn't very accurate.

GAF, whats the consensus on chinos? They are fairly popular around my university these days and I like how they look, I'm worried that they won't suit my body type tho, my legs arent exactly skinny, I'm a fairly broad guy and it mostly seems to be smaller, skinnier guys I see wearing them.

Alucrid

Banned
GAF, whats the consensus on chinos? They are fairly popular around my university these days and I like how they look, I'm worried that they won't suit my body type tho, my legs arent exactly skinny, I'm a fairly broad guy and it mostly seems to be smaller, skinnier guys I see wearing them.

I like chinos.

Doytch

Ha, I knew I was walking into that. I was posting from my phone and in my haste I left out some key details. I live in Seattle. It's the most casual city on earth. Hoodies are acceptable for men in their mid 30's, heck probably 40's too. I work for a manufacturing company but I work on the engineering/business side. I'm one of the very, very few non-management employees that doesn't wear jeans. I'm in the office most of the time but I do need to be on the manufacturing floor some. I'll look into Oxfords. I'm not so hung up on price. I want something comfortable and good looking for button down/khakis and not something for a suit. Sorry, my original request for recommendations probably wasn't very accurate.
I know that feel. I moved to Raleigh, NC for a software job, and yeah, it's pretty much jeans + t-shirt here. Honestly, I take it more as an invitation to fuck around with my style a bit more. It opens up more avenues for expression than if I had to wear a suit every day.

I love my Paul Smith dip-dyed black brogues, and I think something like that (black, brown, whatever) would work better for your situation, given that you don't want to wear them with a suit. You'll be able to dress up a pair of dark jeans with some nice brogues, yet still wear them with pants. And if you get a nice pair that won't fall apart, you'll find yourself looking for every chance to wear them. I fuckin love wingtips, tho, so I might be biased.

Re loafers, I've always thought of loafers as a no-sock, sunny weather shoe, and Seattle doesn't strike me as the fit for that... Though I'm going off reputation really, never even been there.

I'd browse through dappered.com for some ideas, and maybe keep an eye on it for some sales. If you just want to dump some money now, Allen Edmonds' Strands in the cognac brown are sexy as shit...

Draft

They are favored by all fashion friends.

Just get normal cut ones, not skinny leg ones.

Chinos are just khakis

bob page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom