• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

So J. Crew or H&M over a place like Banana Republic or Express for suits?

I probably wouldn't go to H&M for a suit if you want it to last (they tend to get dirty and wrinkled very easily).

I'm a fan of the slim suits from BR (although they have all sorts of fits) and the quality is pretty good. I definitely prefer it to Express.

omgkitty

rB001.jpg

What is this and where can I find something like it?

I didn't online order, and the tailoring was free

It will be ready on Saturday. They aren't doing a lot of work, just bringing it in a little

Wasnt a jab at you or anything just a general comment really. Looking forward to getting some new stuff in the Jan sales!

So J. Crew or H&M over a place like Banana Republic or Express for suits?

Might be worth checking out River Island if they have that where you are? The suit tailor that altered mine was impressed with the quality and fit for the price (£170ish with shirt and tie) shame I dont get much of chance to wear it though :(

Draft

Saw the "dad-look" and was wondering if Converse with jeans and an untucked button down collared shirt is a yay or nay?
I finally feel like a fashion master since I can now give the oldest, truest piece of fashion advice: it's all in the fit.

Some straight leg or even slim fitting jeans, sitting on the hip with a tailored shirt? You'll be cock of the walk. Some baggy jeans sitting at your waist with a billowy JC Penney dress shirt? You'll be Obama throwing out the first pitch.

omgkitty

I finally feel like a fashion master since I can now give the oldest, truest piece of fashion advice: it's all in the fit.

Some straight leg or even slim fitting jeans, sitting on the hip with a tailored shirt? You'll be cock of the walk. Some baggy jeans sitting at your waist with a billowy JC Penney dress shirt? You'll be Obama throwing out the first pitch.

Hmm well the jeans are more relaxed in the legs, but the shirts are tighter, not tailored, but they fit very well...not sure where that puts me haha

Draft

Hmm well the jeans are more relaxed in the legs, but the shirts are tighter, not tailored, but they fit very well...not sure where that puts me haha
I don't mean you had a tailor alter them. Tailored is a just a way of saying fitted, or slim, or whatever. Shirts that actually fit, instead of the billowing robes that most people wear.

Anyway, nothing is etched in stone. One second a mother fucker says you can't look good with jeans on your waist, and them bam:

rV3aJ.jpg

Rowdy Roddy Piper says otherwise.

MLH

So when it comes to prices:
At what point does the cost no longer affect the quality of the clothing?

For instance, A £20 Italian leather belt versus £85+ belts.
I can't imagine a huge quality difference between these belts so why the cost difference?

And I'm having the same problem with shoes at the moment. £70 Brogue, £275 and (well this one is hand tailored, and does look incredible) £550 Radcliffe Dark Leaf

I've worn sub £100 shoes my entire life, so it's hard to justify the expense. But I'm not unfamiliar to spending extravagant amounts on clothing, I recently bought a £240 overcoat/ raincoat reduced to £135, but comparing to the coats in M&S, I would have never paid full price.
So what are some good price ranges for clothing when you want lasting quality but don't want to break the bank?

Regular price?

Shoes: 125-275
Jeans: 80-250
Shirts: 50-100
Outerwear: 150-320

That's what I would limit my range to. Very few exceptions for me.

Draft

I can't imagine a huge quality difference between these belts so why the cost difference?

And I'm having the same problem with shoes at the moment. £70 Brogue, £275 and (well this one is hand tailored, and does look incredible) £550 Radcliffe Dark Leaf

I've worn sub £100 shoes my entire life, so it's hard to justify the expense. But I'm not unfamiliar to spending extravagant amounts on clothing, I recently bought a £240 overcoat/ raincoat reduced to £135, but comparing to the coats in M&S, I would have never paid full price.
So what are some good price ranges for clothing when you want lasting quality but don't want to break the bank?
A good leather shoe is sewn together with high grade leather. A poor leather shoe is glued together with shitty leather. It's hard to gauge the quality of the $70 shoe to the $275 shoe going by just the web pages, but I'd guess the criteria above apply.

All leather shoes will get beat up with wear. Good shoes will look continue looking good as they're beat up. Bad shoes will look like shit. A good pair of shoes will develop folds that add character. A bad pair of shoes will develop harsh creases, and if they're especially cheap, straight up gashes in the leather that reveal whatever cheap stuffing is underneath. Good shoes will last 20 years. Bad shoes will last a year or two, and when they fall apart, they're garbage.

$300 is pricey, but think of it like buying a house, or a car. Those shoes will last a decade, maybe two decades.

The same goes with belts, or any leather clothing. Good quality leather costs a bit more, but it lasts much longer and looks much better.

MLH

A good leather shoe is sewn together with high grade leather. A poor leather shoe is glued together with shitty leather. It's hard to gauge the quality of the $70 shoe to the $275 shoe going by just the web pages, but I'd guess the criteria above apply.

All leather shoes will get beat up with wear. Good shoes will look continue looking good as they're beat up. Bad shoes will look like shit. A good pair of shoes will develop folds that add character. A bad pair of shoes will develop harsh creases, and if they're especially cheap, straight up gashes in the leather that reveal whatever cheap stuffing is underneath. Good shoes will last 20 years. Bad shoes will last a year or two, and when they fall apart, they're garbage.

$300 is pricey, but think of it like buying a house, or a car. Those shoes will last a decade, maybe two decades.

The same goes with belts, or any leather clothing. Good quality leather costs a bit more, but it lasts much longer and looks much better.

Thanks, I've never really thought about a pair of shoes lasting me many years, but you are right. It is indeed an expensive investment, but will probably save me money in the long run. Incidentally, that store Lutwyche led me to the Gentleman's Corner . They seem very passionate about shoemaking, it's making me more interested in finding a 'shoe for life'.

Alucrid

Banned

Definitely don't skimp when buying shoes and outwear. imo they're far more important than other clothing pieces that you can probably get away with going thrifty on.

Generally it's 150-300 for jeans/pants, 100 for shirts, up to 600 for shoes and 800 for outerwear and 1200-1300 for underwear.

I also just spent a goddamn hour ironing shirts. :|

Definitely don't skimp when buying shoes and outwear. imo they're far more important than other clothing pieces that you can probably get away with going thrifty on.

Generally it's 150-300 for jeans/pants, 100 for shirts, up to 600 for shoes and 800 for outerwear and 1200-1300 for underwear.

I also just spent a goddamn hour ironing shirts. :|

Bolded is a joke right?

For the rest, I guess you just have a lot to spent of nice clothes.

careful

Before shelling out 300 bucks for your first pair of Allen Edmonds, I would probably buy some cheapo shoe just so you can get a feel for what style and colour you'd prefer. If you're still figuring out your style, it means your taste might still evolve, so try out some cheaper stuff first then once you know exactly what you want, you can get a nice quality pair of it. Just my 2 cents.

Doytch

I just flew back home and found $400 in cash that my buddy owed me and I completely forgot about. Found money is free money so...Allen Edmonds Daltons? Gonna hit downtown TO next week and see if something else catches my eye.

Speaking of holiday finds, went through some boxes today and discovered a pair of Russel moccasin safari PHs I forgot about. Will probably sell them since uh I haven't worn them heh.

Doytch: tis the season for boots. $400 should get you something good on sale.

Speaking of holiday finds, went through some boxes today and discovered a pair of Russel moccasin safari PHs I forgot about. Will probably sell them since uh I haven't worn them heh.

Doytch: tis the season for boots. $400 should get you something good on sale.

Do you have pics of them?

Alucrid

Banned
I just flew back home and found $400 in cash that my buddy owed me and I completely forgot about. Found money is free money so...Allen Edmonds Daltons? Gonna hit downtown TO next week and see if something else catches my eye.

Yo dawg, Alden Indys are just ~30 more. Not sure how readily available they are in toronto though.

...aaaand i just turned a pair of pants into shorts. fml damn you winter.

jorts are all season wear.

Oh. Figured I might as well post this here, I have a Baracuta G9 in khaki that doesn't fit me.

cVAd5l.jpg

Will sell for sixty bucks shipped, it's a size small but fits more like a medium.

Chest - 21.5"
Front Length (from collar base) - 23"
Back Length (ditto) - 26.5"
Sleeve Length (from pit down) - 21.5"

Yo dawg, Alden Indys are just ~30 more. Not sure how readily available they are in toronto though.

jorts are all season wear.

Oh. Figured I might as well post this here, I have a Baracuta G9 in khaki that doesn't fit me.

cVAd5l.jpg

Will sell for sixty bucks shipped, it's a size small but fits more like a medium.

Chest - 21.5"
Front Length (from collar base) - 23"
Back Length (ditto) - 26.5"
Sleeve Length (from pit down) - 21.5"

Is there a gold scorpion on the back of that?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Helo me out Fashion-Gaf. Is this shirt too short? I got it tailored and it kinda feels like it is. Falls about mid fly.

ignore my mom's bathroom, I'm home for christmas

qerGcl.jpg

2YS3Jl.jpg

Ermac

Also got my Lands Ends Boots in the mail. They're my first pair of boots but for $60 I dig them a lot

h3Wqrl.jpg

dudeworld

Ermac's boots are nice, but his photo reminded me of a question.

How many of you roll your jeans/pants up like he does in the pic? What do you think of it? I don't do it, and I personally think it looks somewhat juvenile. (no offense ermac, bro) My mother used to do it for me when I was like 5.

zero_suit

How many of you roll your jeans/pants up like he does in the pic? What do you think of it? I don't do it, and I personally think it looks somewhat juvenile. (no offense ermac, bro) My mother used to do it for me when I was like 5.

I never do it.

Ermac

I've never cuffed my jeans before but I like how it looks with my boots.

Both ways can look good, but IMO the cuff should be about 4 cm long.

utxcx.jpg

Um0dM.jpg

Zekes!

I usually only cuff jeans when they're new and I don't want them to bleed on my kicks. I often roll my pants up to expose my ankles, though. Depends on the outfit and the shoes I'm currently wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom