• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

About those Comey's posted up a bit. They only work with stacked denim and cuffed pants. The way they are cut makes them look very awkward with a proper suit cut, had to pull out the real dress shoes to go with my suit that day.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
How do you guys feel about zip-up sweaters? Tacky or OK? My dad bought me a really nice wool sweater from Brooks Brothers that kind of looks like this, but it zips all the way up the front instead of being a pullover v-neck

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...AVY-MULTI&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

edit: and by zip-up I don't mean the quarter-zips that go down a few inches. This one goes down all the way to the bottom of the sweater, and has double zippers.

Zekes!

Copped these pants from a local shop here in town on Xmas Eve...they're fucking dope and comfy as all hell:

jYamSDdIcoxUG.jpg

jbkhjjqnQ3h0qm.jpg

Question about pea coats:

I am looking to buy one as it's freaking cold and they look great. Looking to buy this one from Express. I like the short versions, but I will most likely be wearing it with a suit somewhat often. Would the short version be too short for wear with a suit jacket?

Also, suggestions on color would be great.

woodchuck

Question about pea coats:

I am looking to buy one as it's freaking cold and they look great. Looking to buy this one from Express. I like the short versions, but I will most likely be wearing it with a suit somewhat often. Would the short version be too short for wear with a suit jacket?

Also, suggestions on color would be great.

I think that would look weird with a suit jacket. I'd suggest buying a top coat if you're going to wear it with a suit jacket.

maybe something like this: http://www.express.com/wool-blend-topcoat-41054-831/control/page/24/show/3/index.pro

Moussi

I know I posted about this earlier, but I really need a website to buy clothes from. I got linked to some last time, but as a Canadian I get raped on shipping and duties and tariffs. any websites where I could get some quality clothing at a reasonable price (I'm a student just so you know) without getting ripped off on shipping?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Picked up a pair of black leather Frank Wright combat-ish boots recently and am liking how comfortable and versatile they are. Depending on what I've got on, I can wear them over my pants laced all the way up, laced halfway and partially unzipped so the top part of the boot splays out a bit, or cuff my jeans a bit and pull them down over the boot when I'm not wearing anything too skinny (not very often).

Would like a brown pair of boots eventually, too, but I'm waiting for something reasonably priced that also catches my eye visually. Not really into the usual Aldens, chukkas, or whatever. These red and gold Doc Martins are pretty rad, but probably too chunky for what I'm after right now.

Copped these pants from a local shop here in town on Xmas Eve...they're fucking dope and comfy as all hell:

http://i.minus.com/jYamSDdIcoxUG.jpg

I'm digging these, although the chunky back pockets combined with that fabric looks pretty unforgiving to a person's form. You'd better have a real pancake ass to pull these off, heh!

Stuck

If anyone is interested, I got a 30% off everything code from Très Bien Shop to give out to a friend. I already used mine to pick up a pair of MIJ black APC Petit Standards for under $130 shipped, so I'll post this if anyone wants it:
pre-1cfff8
. Even though I'm in the US, shipping usually only takes a few days and I haven't been hit with customs.

Having trouble deciding on a parka. I'm not sure whether I want something lightweight or not. And also whether to play it safe with a dark blue or go a little more adventurous/traditional with a green. The last two aren't parkas but I like them anyway.
aJZhdl.jpg

What brand is that? I tried to tineye it but came up with nothing.

LazyLoki

Hey guys, question: I got a new dark gray shirt today (it's twill... whatever that means), with the tiny buttons that pin down the collar. Think the dark gray with a navy suit will look alright? Since the shirt's buttons are brown, I was gonna throw on a dark brown tie, but I have no idea if that would look okay. Otherwise I'd go with burgundy or something else.

God, I know nothing about clothing.
Technically, button-down shirts (aka shirts with little buttons holding down the collar) aren't worn under suits or with ties.

But I guess nobody would kill you for that....

Pics would indeed be helpful, but I guess burgundy would work while being a bit boring. I'm not too sure about plain brown, though... Assuming the suit and shirt are plain I'd probably throw in a patterned tie (where brown could be one if the colors).

Oh, and twill is a kind of weave pattern, but that's all I know.

Anyone know about these outerwear coats? Found it on a wholesaler but some of them especially the grey appeals to me..

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale-coa...mw2WlNCMGVYQmw%3D-OjpXRmhN/c014001003001.html

A3AGJ.jpg

I ordered the very same jacket like 6 months ago. In short: make yourself a favor and don't buy it. The quality is plain and simple bad. The fabric feels extremely cheap, thin and hence... its warm factor is pretty much equal to zero.

Also, with those koreans clothes, a lot of times the zipper is sharp as hell, like a knife (I'm not kidding).

This one, as the one posted by DMPrince can be found at a site called YesStyle.

In total, through a span of a year I ordered like 10 items from Yesstyle, from casual shirts and hoodies to a couple of jackets, from different brands, expecting to find one of them decent. I totally fail at that.

It's a shame that the quality is so crappy, cause I think a lot of what you see there is very stylish.

On a side note, it's mindblowing how small asian guys are. Usually I'm medium size for everything. In Asia, it seems I'm XL, LOL.

The good: items are so cheap that I'm not even mad at wasting my money.

Draft

How do you guys feel about zip-up sweaters? Tacky or OK? My dad bought me a really nice wool sweater from Brooks Brothers that kind of looks like this, but it zips all the way up the front instead of being a pullover v-neck

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...AVY-MULTI&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

edit: and by zip-up I don't mean the quarter-zips that go down a few inches. This one goes down all the way to the bottom of the sweater, and has double zippers.
Good enough for Wilbon, good enough for me.

Draft

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Wilbon? I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not : /
Michael Wilbon on PTI. He wears those things all the time. I think they're fine. A collar that buttons up is probably a little bit classier, but the zip collar has a youthful feel that is also cool.

zip sweaters aren't my thing (i am boring and essentially wear only v necks or crews) but if they fit well it should be OK. Like draft said it skews young and more casual.

Technically, button-down shirts (aka shirts with little buttons holding down the collar) aren't worn under suits or with ties.

But I guess nobody would kill you for that....

Pics would indeed be helpful, but I guess burgundy would work while being a bit boring. I'm not too sure about plain brown, though... Assuming the suit and shirt are plain I'd probably throw in a patterned tie (where brown could be one if the colors).

Oh, and twill is a kind of weave pattern, but that's all I know.

Ok, I took some pictures. I apologize for the quality, I have no idea how to use my sister's camera so pics came out... strange. To me, anyways.

Here's the grey shirt, navy suit, and a bunch of ties I threw there to see what matches. Only reason I'm hesitant to wear the red striped tie is because it's narrower than the other ties, so I'm worried it'd look weird. I'll put the images in quotes cause I don't want to fill the page with giant images of crap. Ignore the game of Risk on my bed.

I apologize for the bump, but I'd like to figure what would look best, since I need to suit up tomorrow. Will my tiny collar buttons shirt look terrible? Should I just go with a standard white shirt? Only reason I don't wanna wear the regular white shirt is cause that's my standard go-to and I'd like to try something new.

Zekes!

I apologize for the bump, but I'd like to figure what would look best, since I need to suit up tomorrow. Will my tiny collar buttons shirt look terrible? Should I just go with a standard white shirt? Only reason I don't wanna wear the regular white shirt is cause that's my standard go-to and I'd like to try something new.

I rock ties with button down collars all the time; it looks fine. Though, I never have with a suit; then again I don't ever wear suits.

I think the burgundy tie might look the best considering what you have to work with...the colours in the photos don't really help, and it's always easier to see the combination in person.

LazyLoki

I kinda like the checkered tie in the last pic. At the first glance not exceptional color-wise, but I love clear contrasts.
The striped tie could work, depending on your body size/build, but the colors are a bit strange in the pic.
The only one that totally sucks is the pale checkered one. Not a bad tie per se, but the colors don't combine with the suit and shirt.
The burgundy one would be your safest bet I guess.
IMHO there has to be at least one splash of color or pattern to make an outfit interesting, even something as formal as suit and tie.

Take all that with a grain of salt, but I hope this helps a bit :)

Swag

So I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe, I was very hip hop influenced ( Somewhat baggy Jeans etc ), in my early college years and my wardrobe still reflects that, I wear lots of T Shirts and sweaters that don't really look all that great together, kind of un-cordinated. I wanna have a somewhat cleaner look ( Do clothes from H&M count as clean?), but I want to avoid shopping at online retailers because I usually pick the wrong sizes.

Can anyone recommend shops other then H&M?

I have these stores in my local mall, but honestly don't even know where to start. I'm 22 and don't have any professional obligations in the near future so please no suits, etc! Just casual stuff.

A|X Armani Exchange
Abercrombie & Fitch
Aeropostale
Against All Odds
American Apparel
American Eagle Outfitters
Ann Taylor
Banana Republic
BOSS HUGO BOSS
Brooks Brothers
Burberry
DKNY
Eddie Bauer
Eileen Fisher
Express
FOSSIL
Gap
Gucci
Guess
Hermes
Hollister Co.
J.Crew
Jos. A. Bank
Journeys
Journeys Kidz
Kenneth Cole
LACOSTE
Lids
Lucky Brand Jeans
Lululemon Athletica
Neiman Marcus
Old Navy
PacSun
Ralph Lauren

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my first pair of big boy boots:

26_limburg_22_6.jpg

Cheap Aldo boots. They're pre-broken in, which I don't really care for, but they look quite nice in person despite feeling a little cheapish (stitching isn't all that nice, mostly). But hey, they weren't pricey ($80), so I can't complain too much. As for the price, keep in mind I'm in Canada and the local selection is limited. :(

Big step up from my ugly ass Skechers.

So I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe, I was very hip hop influenced ( Somewhat baggy Jeans etc ), in my early college years and my wardrobe still reflects that, I wear lots of T Shirts and sweaters that don't really look all that great together, kind of un-cordinated. I wanna have a somewhat cleaner look ( Do clothes from H&M count as clean?), but I want to avoid shopping at online retailers because I usually pick the wrong sizes.

Can anyone recommend shops other then H&M?

I have these stores in my local mall, but honestly don't even know where to start. I'm 22 and don't have any professional obligations in the near future so please no suits, etc! Just casual stuff.

A|X Armani Exchange
Abercrombie & Fitch
Aeropostale
Against All Odds
American Apparel
American Eagle Outfitters
Ann Taylor
Banana Republic
BOSS HUGO BOSS
Brooks Brothers
Burberry
DKNY
Eddie Bauer
Eileen Fisher
Express
FOSSIL
Gap
Gucci
Guess
Hermes
Hollister Co.
J.Crew
Jos. A. Bank
Journeys
Journeys Kidz
Kenneth Cole
LACOSTE
Lids
Lucky Brand Jeans
Lululemon Athletica
Neiman Marcus
Old Navy
PacSun
Ralph Lauren
So many stores whose fashion I disapprove of. :\

I'd steer you to KC, BB, RL, and Lacoste, but I may be too preppy for you... what's the style you're looking for? "Casual" is far too broad, partner.

Swag

So many stores whose fashion I disapprove of. :\

I'd steer you to KC, BB, RL, and Lacoste, but I may be too preppy for you... what's the style you're looking for? "Casual" is far too broad, partner.

I'm not exactly sure what to call it, Looks like these

Hip Hop Hipsterish?

Button Ups

More Button Ups

Jacket combo

Layers

Those are probably the best examples I could find, for what I'm trying to go for.

I'd love to shop from that JackThreads store but without getting myself measured would be hard to get exact fits.

I just moved to Shanghai, and the holy grail of affordable fashionable clothes is here: the fabric market. There are 4 floors of custom tailors and you can haggle to your heart's content. You can bring in any magazine tear-out and they can replicate that exact coat for a good price. You pick the fabric, colors, buttons, cuts, etc.

People go here mainly for coats, but you can get fitted shirts and pants.

I've already made a light-gray peacoat that I love... but I am asking for INSPIRATION!

Manshion gaf, share your favorite fashion blogs!

cdyhybrid

Dunno if this is the thread for it, but I'm looking to finally take the leap into boxer-briefs. Any recommendations on brands, etc.?

So apparently you're supposed to tuck your trousers into your socks when you're wearing hiking boots. Obviously it's for practical reasons when you're actually hiking, but it doesn't look too bad either. Need some thick knitted socks though. Opinions?

hikingsocks29knu.jpg

Also, does anyone own a fishing bag?

dudeworld

So apparently you're supposed to tuck your trousers into your socks when you're wearing hiking boots. Obviously it's for practical reasons when you're actually hiking, but it doesn't look too bad either. Need some thick knitted socks though. Opinions?

hikingsocks29knu.jpg

Also, does anyone own a fishing bag?

not bad. you'd also need to wear skinny jeans like that guy has on, otherwise it wouldn't look good at all imo

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
New Years Eve's outfits! What are you guys rocking?

I'm doing a black suit (fuck the rules), pale blue shirt, no tie, minimal striped pocket square, and some black cap toes.

Imma try to post a pic tomorrow. What are you guys gonna be rolling in?

tirminyl

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Great-M...cket-Coat-2color-3size-Hot-Sale-/260916387420

I ordered mine a couple of days ago. Will give my thoughts when it comes through.

Be sure to. I almost choked on the price. I just bought a black peacoat and it now makes the rest of my wardrobe....meh. I was also wanting something else to replace another coat of mine and this looks like it will do the job.

New Years Eve's outfits! What are you guys rocking?

I'm doing a black suit (fuck the rules), pale blue shirt, no tie, minimal striped pocket square, and some black cap toes.

Imma try to post a pic tomorrow. What are you guys gonna be rolling in?

Some jeans, dark grey polo w/ slim black zip jacket and sneakers :-(

Be sure to. I almost choked on the price. I just bought a black peacoat and it now makes the rest of my wardrobe....meh. I was also wanting something else to replace another coat of mine and this looks like it will do the job.
(

Where'd you get your pea coat, if you don't mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom