• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moussi

Does anyone know what courier ASOS uses to ship stuff to Canada? I ask because if its anything but USPS I get smashed by brokerage fees which are a waste...

Also anyone know a website with a shirt similar to this in quality I really like it but due to duty and tariffs/brokerage fees the cost of this shirt becomes 200 $....
http://www.ledbury.com/products/the-navy-parker-gingham

Like I said really like it but they ship through Fedex.
Also, I'm running out of websites to shop from, it seems like some of the people here have endless supplies of crazy websites to get clothes from. Is there a blog or something? I wish I wasn't so reliant on online shopping to look good, but I live in a small shitty town in Canada with malls that feature shitty stores like American Eagle and Guess. I think HM is the only place worthwhile to shop around here.

bob page

I have a few pairs of denim that no longer fit, so off to GAF they go.

-Zara Distressed (black, 30 waist, about 32 length, slim straight) - $18
-Uniqlo (denim, 29x32, slim straight, has slight imperfection on left leg) - $12
-Express Zach (denim, 30x30, slim straight, low sitting) - $18

Here are some pics:
http://imgur.com/a/smj9w
Uniqlo imperfection close-up, Uniqlo, Zara, Express

Prices include shipping!

I live in a small shitty town in Canada with malls that feature shitty stores like American Eagle and Guess. I think HM is the only place worthwhile to shop around here.
I know that feel bro. I don't even have H&M.

Don't know about asos/canada, or canadian sites in general, but I stalk the following places on the regular for my threads:

Yoox (lots of high end name brand shit, but also a TON of unknown high quality labels that can be readily gotten for 80% off)

Zappos

Park and Bond

Forward Forward

Ssense (this is canadian fwiw)

TheCorner

Project No. 8

Opening Ceremony

and some others I am forgetting.

Moussi

Thanks a bunch mac! I'll check those sites out for sure. I just ordered a pair of black 510 levis jeans for 88 $ from ASOS. Didn't even pay taxes something is fishy here...

I hope I don't have to pay brokerage fees...

Snakeyes

Boris Bidjan Saberi sneaker

boris-bIdjan-saberi-sneaker-0.jpg

iirc, he had some old school helmut lang sneakers up on a wall of references for his last collection, so it's cool to see how he worked from that:
yl804.jpg

I like them a lot more than those gross CCP dipped sneakers or Agustas. Not something I would wear, but still nice.

Doytch

do they still make baseball caps without the stupid straight bigass bills on em?
The bills haven't changed for a long time, but the composition has. Prior to the New-Era-fication of caps, they were made of wool instead of the poly they use these days. Harder to break in, though they will eventually.

Look into the Cooperstown collection from MLB [some of them are 100% wool, not sure if they all are], and continue straight past the legions of pre-distressed hats.

coldvein

Banned
The bills haven't changed for a long time, but the composition has. Prior to the New-Era-fication of caps, they were made of wool instead of the poly they use these days. Harder to break in, though they will eventually.

Look into the Cooperstown collection from MLB [some of them are 100% wool, not sure if they all are], and continue straight past the legions of pre-distressed hats.

so i could theoretically buy any hat nowadays and get the bill into a nice curvy shape with a little effort, and without it looking silly? for some reason i thought hats were being designed differently these days or something. (yes, i'm a noob to manshion)

Alucrid

Banned
so i could theoretically buy any hat nowadays and get the bill into a nice curvy shape with a little effort, and without it looking silly? for some reason i thought hats were being designed differently these days or something. (yes, i'm a noob to manshion)

I mean, I used to like...put a baseball in there and rubber band it and put it under my bed to get it to curve or something as a kid.

coldvein

Banned
i just don't like the look of the big flat bills at all. i could've sworn they're actually making the bills bigger these days.

TheExodu5

Banned

I just looked at the Boris Bidjan line...wtf? Why would anyone pay such exuberant prices?

These pants cost 530 euros:

P909354716-240x319.jpg

You can buy a jacket that makes you look like a homeless man for 1568 Euros (not Boris, but another line at the same distributor). :|

PB200518.JPG

Zekes!

Nah, I used to work at a hat store. What I usually told people was "they come flat because they're new". You'd be surprised at how many people dismissed the New Era Authentic hats because they were flat. You curve 'em yourself, but yeah, you can easily buy pre-curved ball caps.

I just looked at the Boris Bidjan line...wtf? Why would anyone pay such exuberant prices?

These pants cost 530 euros:

P909354716-240x319.jpg

You can buy a jacket that makes you look like a homeless man for 1568 Euros (not Boris, but another line at the same distributor). :|

PB200518.JPG

1. small production runs, a lot of fabric work is done in-house (extremely rare)

2. because.

harSon

Banned
Anyone know where I can buy a suit vest that won't break the bank? Something not plain would be preferred (Boardwalk Empire for example). I'm holding "Classy" costume party in about a month :p

Alucrid

Banned
My Japan Blue JB0701 jeans still have minimal fading after four months. Anyone have them?

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=2305

Well..."The fabric has a nice irregularity which will lend an amazing fade quality with years of wear." So I imagine it's the indigo doesn't wear off as fast as some other brands. That or you're just not riding that shit hard enough.

just wait for it to appear on ebay in the form of a regretted purchase.

Yep. I imagine the hype around pieces like that are only going to last another couple of years.

Zekes!

Anyone know where I can buy a suit vest that won't break the bank? Something not plain would be preferred (Boardwalk Empire for example). I'm holding "Classy" costume party in about a month :p

I think I said this before (in a different thread) but,

I work in a local used contemporary/vintage store, and we sell them for dirt cheap. "Go thrifting" is almost always my suggestion for stuff like that.

I think I said this before (in a different thread) but,

I work in a local used contemporary/vintage store, and we sell them for dirt cheap. "Go thrifting" is almost always my suggestion for stuff like that.
yeah this. or stalk ebay for some vintage shit. anything cheap at retail will look like hot garbage, and not the 1500 euros kind.

Snakeyes

Yep. I imagine the hype around pieces like that are only going to last another couple of years.

Pretty much. The goth ninja style has been on a steady decline for a while in Japan and most people have moved on to Americana.

americana_street_02.jpg

Now here's a trend I'll avoid completely.

Alucrid

Banned
Pretty much. The goth ninja style has been on a steady decline for a while in Japan and most people have moved on to Americana.

http://mistercrew.com/files/2010/01/americana_street_02.jpg[img]

Now here's a trend I'll avoid completely.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but we'll probably see that crop up in America in a year or two. Although from what I hear the quality, er, perhaps durability is a better word, is pretty good on the Americana shit.

Oh. I love going into Chinatown, always some old asian person with so much swag there

Same here, but we'll probably see that crop up in America in a year or two. Although from what I hear the quality, er, perhaps durability is a better word, is pretty good on the Americana shit.
we already have it here; they're wearing shit like mark mcnairy and WWM, while we are wearing japanese denim and junya watanabe. it's a weird feedback loop heh. both those dudes look fairly dorky but i kind of hate americana/fuck yeah workwear so w/e.

I don't think goth ninja was particularly huge in japan anyway, it mostly stayed put in europe and NY.

90s minimalism > *

Alucrid

Banned
we already have it here; they're wearing shit like mark mcnairy and WWM, while we are wearing japanese denim and junya watanabe. it's a weird feedback loop heh. both those dudes look fairly dorky but i kind of hate americana/fuck yeah workwear so w/e.

I don't think goth ninja was particularly huge in japan anyway, it mostly stayed put in europe and NY.

90s minimalism > *

90s minimalism. Isn't that when Marc Jacobs hit it big? Is there a connection? :lol

but I would have to agree after the overdressed eras of the 70s and 80s and the fact that I was actually alive during that time.

Helmut Lang
Jil Sander
Early Hedi Slimane
Good-doer Prada
Calvin Klein Collection
Tom Ford @ Gucci (kind of)
Marc Jacobs (hipster minimalism? lol)
etc
shits be cool yo.

It's also when the belgians did their thing best, like Raf, Ann, Dries and Margiela.

Alucrid

Banned
Helmut Lang
Jil Sander
Early Hedi Slimane
Good-doer Prada
Calvin Klein Collection
Tom Ford @ Gucci (kind of)
Marc Jacobs (hipster minimalism? lol)
etc
shits be cool yo.

It's also when the belgians did their thing best, like Raf, Ann, Dries and Margiela.

The only beef I tend to have is how monochromatic it all is. :(

Edit: I should find some Japanese fashion mags to subscribe to.

Some of it tends to be, but mid 90s Helmut and early Slimane @ YSL had some eye melting colors. I regret not getting more YSL Slimane back in the early days of yoox/ebay, since it was easy to get for a non-insane price. the sizing was completely fucked up though. Shit labeled L or XL was tighter than size Small hanes shirts.

This just makes me want to cop more CK Collection. Probably the only label still waving the banner properly, though this is the definition of monochrome (with a few bizarre exceptions).

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So, where did the roll-up-your-pants-like-you-are-going-to-go-sailing start and who thought it was a good idea?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Living in NYC I see it constantly. But only a very small portion of guys can pull it off without looking like tools.

no idea really, but it is definitely a part of the americana/workwear trend. nobody else seems to do it.

i personally am gonna bring white reeboks and pinrolling back. :D D:

coldvein

Banned
my best guess is that pants rolling began in a time/place where people were poor as fuck and would just put on any pants they could find. find a pair of pants 20 inches too long in a dumpster? roll em, tie em on with a bit of rope, blam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom