• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
You don't wear a normal blazer at -35C. And it's not a puffy coat, it's not even an inch thick. You are thinking of the coats from the early 2000s. It's not like that at all.

That's why you have a coat that goes over your sports jacket/blazer/suit jacket/whatever. An...overcoat. Also, at -35c that's not going to keep you warm at all. All the heat gets let out since it doesn't cover half your chest and seems pretty loose letting all the warmth out the bottom.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
haha_oh_wow.jpg

I might ask the same thing about your jacket.

The answer is no to both. That's why you have a nice suit jacket or blazer. Made of wool/tweed/etc. Not ripstop.

LOL, you're not keeping it on indoors. It's just for outside, it's a coat not a blazer. Silly.

soultron

Banned
You don't wear a normal blazer at -35C. And it's not a puffy coat, it's not even an inch thick. You are thinking of the coats from the early 2000s. It's not like that at all.

If you're going to walk into a fancy restaurant wearing a blazer, it might as well be a proper one.

Get a long coat to throw over top.

If you were to, say, wear a blazer underneath the jacket you just bought, you're pretty much this guy:
popped-collars1.jpg

You're cool with your jacket, and that's fine. You're the one who has to wear it, in the end.

i don't think it looks bad (rafaello network takes terrible images, and i have a soft spot for prada & nylon yeah i said it), but I see that and think super casual. shrug.

moncler gamma bleu is doing stuff like this that looks pretty good in a stealth-formal way but it makes prada look cheap and is hard to find period.

Kraftwerk

Eh, I personally don't like the style of JeFfRey' purchase, but no need to shit on him. Different tastes. No need for "lol omfg that is hideous".

LordCanti

Do you live at the North Pole?

Personally, I don't like either of the coats posted on this the last page.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
If you're going to walk into a fancy restaurant wearing a blazer, it might as well be a proper one.

Get a long coat to throw over top.

If you were to, say, wear a blazer underneath the jacket you just bought, you're pretty much this guy:

You're cool with your jacket, and that's fine. You're the one who has to wear it, in the end.

The coat has buttons up to the collar, it's a winter coat. I don't understand why I would wear a winter coat indoors?

Eh, I personally don't like the style of JeFfRey' purchase, but no need to shit on him. Different tastes. No need for "lol omfg that is hideous".
i can't hate on random purchases, I have plenty of clothing that looks hideous without any wardrobe context (or shit internets pics) or my irl swag :D

oh and people need to keep in mind this is prada & nylon (one of the things they did and still do well) and rafaello network. site could make anything look cheap and junky.

If you post it in this thread, I'm assuming it's to show it off or get opinions. If you get clowned for dressing like a fool, it's your own damn fault.

Kraftwerk

If you post it in this thread, I'm assuming it's to show it off or get opinions. If you get clowned for dressing like a fool, it's your own damn fault.

That is exactly it. There is no universal rule on "how to dress", besides being tidy and clean. I'm sorry, but you are not the end all on fashion opinions. He bought a coat he liked, and posted it here. If you want to give him opinions, you can do much better than calling him a clown. Tell him maturely and he might actually listen.

RJNavarrete said:
lolwtf? That thing is hideous.

^^

soultron

Banned
That's it's a damn winter coat and I won't go anywhere fancy with a sky suit?

No, that you'd go into a fancy restaurant wearing the jacket you or Alucrid posted.

It also looks like a shoddy winter coat. I'm from Canada though, so take that with a grain of, "holy shit, winter's cold here." Unless you intent to pop the collar (ugh) all the time, that's not going to keep you warm. Please tell me it's down or something.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

No worries, I'm used to comments like that here. I wouldn't be caught wearing 90% of the things people post here anyways. We don't have the same bodies and "pulling off" an item is different for everyone. Though I don't find your critics to be substantiated at all. I got shit for saying a purple sweater didn't suit a guy well, that it made him look older.

That's it's a damn winter coat and I won't go anywhere fancy with a sky suit?

I guess I'm not sure why that coat is acceptable in a fancy place when other, more traditional winter coats, aren't.

To me, that coat just seems like trying to force an aesthetic that doesn't blend with the actual function of the coat which makes it look a little goofy.

soultron

Banned
do you guys ever feel guilty?

Do you ever feel guilty for going into threads and causing shit?

Maybe you'll follow suit like your self-concerned spat in the Real Pic January thread and buy into what we're posting about and end up better dressed than you are now.

Alucrid

Banned
Do you ever feel guilty for going into threads and causing shit?

Maybe you'll follow suit like your self-concerned spat in the Real Pic January thread and buy into what we're posting about and end up better dressed than you are now.

Daaaaaaayum.

soultron

Banned
JeFfRey, this should make you feel better, at the very least: I'm guessing I could never afford the coat you just bought. c:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
No, that you'd go into a fancy restaurant wearing the jacket you or Alucrid posted.

It also looks like a shoddy winter coat. I'm from Canada though, so take that with a grain of, "holy shit, winter's cold here." Unless you intent to pop the collar (ugh) all the time, that's not going to keep you warm. Please tell me it's down or something.

It all depends on the context, I have other jackets too. The places I go are usually "Hotel W" (if that's an explanation) style restaurants. So it's youngish formal. I live in Canada too.

soultron

Banned
It all depends on the context, I have other jackets too. The places I go are usually "Hotel W" (if that's an explanation) style restaurants. So it's youngish formal. I live in Canada too.

I think we've established that we're clearly into different types of fashion. You're of a much more highbrow (not saying that's bad) brand than I. Context is key and now I find your jacket much more of an acceptable choice.

Lirlond

I don't really mind the aesthetic, but it looks like a really shoddy winter coat. Waaaay too loose at the bottom, its just gonna funnel all that cold air into the jacket.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I don't really mind the aesthetic, but it looks like a really shoddy winter coat. Waaaay too loose at the bottom, its just gonna funnel all that cold air into the jacket.

Like I explained before, I have more than one coat. This one is for particular activities that I have. It's not meant to go play in the snow.

That is exactly it. There is no universal rule on "how to dress", besides being tidy and clean. I'm sorry, but you are not the end all on fashion opinions. He bought a coat he liked, and posted it here. If you want to give him opinions, you can do much better than calling him a clown. Tell him maturely and he might actually listen.

^^
I'm not claiming to be the end all on fashion I'm opinions. I'm merely stating that this is a Fashion thread on a DISCUSSION FORUM, where opinions of all kinds will be represented. I happen to think the jacket looks like crap and wouldn't wear it even if it were given to me as a gift. I think it's hideous and tacky. If I was 13 years old I might think it's cool, but I'm not and it isn't.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
since we are obsessing over this coat, what do you plan on wearing with it? just building an image in my head.

Probably a suit with a t-shirt underneath instead of a shirt and tie, and a scarf so not to show the layering as it would be tacky IMO.

Desi

On that Prada puffer blazer. the Moncler Gamme Bleu version is so much more serious. Return the prada and join the school of Thom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom