• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
downtown toronto'ers, cole haan has their end of year sale + an extra 20% off. Got these for a pretty good price. love'em.

img-thing

Fanks. Will check this out.

Aroo

Neo Member
Got this on sale. I was looking at it long and hard. The store clerk saw I wanted it so much and gave me a better deal. Retails for 155 and online it's on sale for 125. I got it for 108 tax included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9JqkrPhzlc

Bought it to wear over my work clothes since there is a very strong wind chill.

Banana Republic pants, one of my favorite ties (BR, you can see it around the shirt) , nice fitted non iron classic shirt (also from BR), and that nice Boss Fossa 02.

Finally got a new pair of sunnies after losing my Tom Fords overseas last year.

Persol 714 in Havana brown with brown polarized lenses =)

6666231993_4e48810493.jpg

edit -- better pics

Persol%20PO0714SM%20%2096%20_S3.jpg

Really like the light havana frame/blue lenses combination

The-Flipable-Steve-McQueen-x-Persol-714-Sunglasses-Design.jpg

Yep they fold!

Why are people against the quilted blazer? I personally love that kind of stuff, only in the Fall though. The problem is the one linked on the last page was kind of insane. Here is one that I'd wear.

Anyway, enough with the Winter talk. I'm on vacation for a week more

Alucrid

Banned
Why are people against the quilted blazer? I personally love that kind of stuff, only in the Fall though. The problem is the one linked on the last page was kind of insane. Here is one that I'd wear.

Anyway, enough with the Winter talk. I'm on vacation for a week more

I generally like quilted/puffy coats to have an outer shell.

Swag

Any suggestions for shopping online? I took some measurements, and I fit into the small category, but my gut feeling is pointing me towards getting mediums ( for tops ), always felt like a small wouldn't really fit my lengths, as I'm a tall dude.

entremet

What type of job do you have, macuser?

I work for a tech company, so wearing a suit will be overkill. unless it's a company event or. I do love suit and tieing it, though.

lol just soulless drone shit. we have a ceo coming so you are supposed to dress nice otherwise you bring dishonor to the department. i usually wear sweaters/shirts/pants/etc. it's a bit fancier that i would like but my other suits don't really fit anymore ;___;

Zekes!

I don't even own a suit. I know it's usually said "every guy needs to own at least one suit", but fuck it.

edit: I'd buy an animal print suit though

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have been changing my style as of late, bought some darker jeans and some more collared shirts to wear when i go out as chronicled here, but I still like hoodies for going to a friends place or running errands so I did a compromise.

I like how plain colored hoodies look with dark jeans and white sneakers so (as much as I dislike Old Navy) got 3 of the hoodies below. They look great with dark jeans, now for some white sneakers. Should I go with classic Nike's or do you all have suggestions?

I know fashion Gaf may laugh at wearing hoodies to run errands and random things but I love them. :)

cn4278356.jpg

yeah they rode up on the pic, they aren't quite that long, but still definitely on the longer end. probably 3/4 of an inch shows normally. as you said, i dig it that way :)

edit: i like grey nike vintage blazers.
xcya1.jpg

all white nikes just don't do it for me.

Guevara

^I think that's fine, actually. Which probably means I have bad taste. A nice thin hoodie that fits well looks great most of the time.

suit day today. i was planning on slumming too

http://i.imgur.com/4CRir.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Basically when getting a suit, follow the "rule of thumb".

The jacket itself looks a little small, the jacket should come down to the end of your thumb with your arms relaxed at your side and your sleeves should break just above where your on your wristbone when you bend your arm at 90 degrees. When fitted right your suit jacket should let 1/4 inch of cuff show, unless you're wearing french cuffs then it is 1/2 inch.

However if the suit is a little big that's fine, as long as the shoulders of the jacket are right on a little big isn't a problem a good tailor can't handle.

Also make sure your tie stops just above your pants, and no further. Otherwise good choice on colors.

I don't really follow set rules for fit, as they change generationally anyway and so are pretty much a matter of personal taste.

the shirt is new though, and i need to pull the sleeves up 1/4 inch or so. too long as is. i should wash it first heh.

Alucrid

Banned
Nice suit bro. After i get my navy i think ima go grey and thats it unless my job after college demands it. I just ordered two pairs of chinos though in navy and gunmetal. Am excite

I don't really follow set rules for fit, as they change generationally anyway and so are pretty much a matter of personal taste.

the shirt is new though, and i need to pull the sleeves up 1/4 inch or so. too long as is. i should wash it first heh.

The shirt length is fine

Those rules haven't changed for many generations now, the only thing that changes are temporary fashions between cuts, button layouts, colors, materials, and so forth, but classic suit fit is eternal.

Sure no one is really ballsy enough to rock a double breasted jacket anymore and there are slim editions of suits but even those still follow the standard lengths, which are there to make sure it doesn't look like you went to the jcpenny kids section or shopped in the big and tall section just because there was a sale.

That just looks awkward and shows a careless sense of character, not to say you are. You're entitled to wear what you please, I merely just wish to provide information in a subject that I'm familiar with.

There is a satire blog I think some of you may enjoy: www.nicetrybro.tumblr.com

Ash_69

Y212%20Dark%20Grey.jpg

picked this up on ebay. i piece random things together lol. i think i'll try to look presentable next year.

I said I would update everyone mine came through the post-

The quality is good and I don't mean good for a cheap knock off. I have hoodies that cost 5 times the price and in terms of feel and thickness, this is not sub par.

Regarding the fit, it's slim fitting as you would expect however with a slightly longer body than the rest of my hoodies. Usually I wear a small and I ordered this in a medium which might be why.

In summary, a decent purchase.

The shirt length is fine

Those rules haven't changed for many generations now, the only thing that changes are temporary fashions between cuts, button layouts, colors, materials, and so forth, but classic suit fit is eternal.

Sure no one is really ballsy enough to rock a double breasted jacket anymore and there are slim editions of suits but even those still follow the standard lengths, which are there to make sure it doesn't look like you went to the jcpenny kids section or shopped in the big and tall section just because there was a sale.

That just looks awkward and shows a careless sense of character, not to say you are. You're entitled to wear what you please, I merely just wish to provide information in a subject that I'm familiar with.

There is a satire blog I think some of you may enjoy: www.nicetrybro.tumblr.com
Unless you think everyone should look like boardwalk empire characters I don't see how you can say suiting silhouettes have not changed over the course of the last few or several decades.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Still in NY for a bit longer, any stores I should check out at Woodbury Common before I leave? The prices are pretty amazing, but I usually just stick to the sort of places I'm accustomed to at malls and so forth, and WC has a whole lot of options. When I was there the other day I checked out Jcrew, BR, Gap, Sax Fifth Ave, CK, and Armani Exchange iirc.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=7

shas'la

I said I would update everyone mine came through the post-

The quality is good and I don't mean good for a cheap knock off. I have hoodies that cost 5 times the price and in terms of feel and thickness, this is not sub par.

Regarding the fit, it's slim fitting as you would expect however with a slightly longer body than the rest of my hoodies. Usually I wear a small and I ordered this in a medium which might be why.

In summary, a decent purchase.

really wanted to get one of these, but they dont deliver to the UK :(

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Have been changing my style as of late, bought some darker jeans and some more collared shirts to wear when i go out as chronicled here, but I still like hoodies for going to a friends place or running errands so I did a compromise.

I like how plain colored hoodies look with dark jeans and white sneakers so (as much as I dislike Old Navy) got 3 of the hoodies below. They look great with dark jeans, now for some white sneakers. Should I go with classic Nike's or do you all have suggestions?

I know fashion Gaf may laugh at wearing hoodies to run errands and random things but I love them. :)

cn4278356.jpg

Hoodies are some of my favorite things, I like how relaxed and versatile they can be while also being functional. Putting a black wool coat over them really adds a nice splash of color to an average day at school. I gotta pick up some different colors though, I've been thinking about picking up some from Target - how's the old navy feel? Good stuff? I've got H&M and AA hoodies, but I don't like the types of colors they have left that I don't have.

Unless you think everyone should look like boardwalk empire characters I don't see how you can say suiting silhouettes have not changed over the course of the last few or several decades.

Not at all what I'm saying. Simply put fits(silhouettes) have changed, length rules have not.

Not at all what I'm saying. Simply put fits(silhouettes) have changed, length rules have not.
I don't think you can so easily pry the two apart. If you compare just 20s and late 50s era suit shapes, cuts, and lengths; the differences are pretty dramatic. Neither is more correct than the other. But this convo just reinforces understanding the underlying logic and aesthetic purpose of the rule, rather than strict adherence the rule itself.

Alucrid

Banned
Hawt. Where from?

Ordered mine from Epaulet, love their cut.

Still in NY for a bit longer, any stores I should check out at Woodbury Common before I leave? The prices are pretty amazing, but I usually just stick to the sort of places I'm accustomed to at malls and so forth, and WC has a whole lot of options. When I was there the other day I checked out Jcrew, BR, Gap, Sax Fifth Ave, CK, and Armani Exchange iirc.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=7

I'd say Epaulet which has nice trousers/chinos/pants, boots, shirts, and jackets or Self Edge / Blueingreen (in soho) for some nice denim. Even if you don't plan to buy any it's nice just to look around and browse.

Hoodies are some of my favorite things, I like how relaxed and versatile they can be while also being functional. Putting a black wool coat over them really adds a nice splash of color to an average day at school. I gotta pick up some different colors though, I've been thinking about picking up some from Target - how's the old navy feel? Good stuff? I've got H&M and AA hoodies, but I don't like the types of colors they have left that I don't have.

Generally not a fan of the layering hoodies under coats. Unless they lay really flat on the back, otherwise it looks stupid scrunched up against the collar of a jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom