• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can so easily pry the two apart. If you compare just 20s and late 50s era suit shapes, cuts, and lengths; the differences are pretty dramatic. Neither is more correct than the other. But this convo just reinforces understanding the underlying logic and aesthetic purpose of the rule, rather than strict adherence the rule itself.

I disagree on length changes with the exception of the introduction of french cuffs but I do think it is a worth while thing to discuss the reasoning behind the rules, though I am young yet and my knowledge of menswear only spans so far back. Personally I think the length rules are in place to keep things tidy, and while suits may get slimmer or cut in different ways that underlying principle gives it a professional look no matter what.

I disagree on length changes with the exception of the introduction of french cuffs but I do think it is a worth while thing to discuss the reasoning behind the rules, though I am young yet and my knowledge of menswear only spans so far back. Personally I think the length rules are in place to keep things tidy, and while suits may get slimmer or cut in different ways that underlying principle gives it a professional look no matter what.
I think the 'rules' are a good starting point, and when you understand the whys, you can mush them around a bit to personal taste, within some semblance of reason. I mean it's not like I am wearing thom brown belt-length jackets or highwater pants ;)

fruitful discussion tho, these usually get nasty superquick haha

Seriously scowly models on their website ;b
would you smile if you paid $1500 for a black curtain?

Alucrid

Banned
Fuck me. 15% off coupon on that jacket I posted earlier ................. and I caved. Now I guess I should start trying to pawn off the Canada Goose I own.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hoodies are some of my favorite things, I like how relaxed and versatile they can be while also being functional. Putting a black wool coat over them really adds a nice splash of color to an average day at school. I gotta pick up some different colors though, I've been thinking about picking up some from Target - how's the old navy feel? Good stuff? I've got H&M and AA hoodies, but I don't like the types of colors they have left that I don't have.

Old Navy ones are nice. They are a bit on the thinner side, so won't keep you too warm, but the quality is decent. I think they may still be on sale too.

I'm still looking for casual shoes for hoodie/jeans, and a coat that can work with jeans or work clothes. Hmm.

overcast

What are some decent shoes that are $60 or below. Something that would go well with jeans. I dress pretty casually, been wearing Chucks for 3 straight years.

What are some decent shoes that are $60 or below. Something that would go well with jeans. I dress pretty casually, been wearing Chucks for 3 straight years.
Hmm, maybe clae or generic surplus? I cant think of much else. What kind of shoe are you looking for?

Ive been looking for nice simple tees for years. Back in the day there was helmutlang and so on but now everyone seems to want to poke holes in them or have them drape past my tits. I've given up and am sticking with hanes ATM.

Yeah, finding the simple stuff is sometimes the hardest. I've tried a ton of places myself. Recently picked up a few shirts from Target actually, there's these Mossimo shirts that are actually pretty nice. They're like 10$ each, which might be a bit much depending on what you're looking for. I also like the v-neck version as well, as the neck line isn't too deep. Worth checking out.

Yeah, finding the simple stuff is sometimes the hardest. I've tried a ton of places myself. Recently picked up a few shirts from Target actually, there's these Mossimo shirts that are actually pretty nice. They're like 10$ each, which might be a bit much depending on what you're looking for. I also like the v-neck version as well, as the neck line isn't too deep. Worth checking out.
Target shirts aren't bad, a bit loose in the waist. The local store doesn't carry any v necks tho fuuuu. Everyone is obsessed with deep v's or scoop necks and I don't play with that shit. I just want white and grey is this so hard. Hanes fit nicely but they are pretty abysmal in the quality dept.

Snakeyes

These might be good, a bit on the pricey side though:

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/ultrafine-merino-tee.html

104OUTLIERBlueWalk4.jpg

102OUTLIERBlueRust1.jpg

402OUTLIERBackWalk.jpg

Nice fit on the pants too.

duk

Banned
I said I would update everyone mine came through the post-

The quality is good and I don't mean good for a cheap knock off. I have hoodies that cost 5 times the price and in terms of feel and thickness, this is not sub par.

Regarding the fit, it's slim fitting as you would expect however with a slightly longer body than the rest of my hoodies. Usually I wear a small and I ordered this in a medium which might be why.

In summary, a decent purchase.

Thanks for the write-up, how can you go wrong with $23 purchase/shipped? Ordered! lol

Midas

bob page

Cheap but meh quality h and m

Expensive but incredibly well made epauletshop.com

in the middle mabitex or incotex

Zara is another good in-the-middle choice since they have online shopping now.

In addition, the stuff on Gilt is usually tailored for slimmer men, but you'll need an invite to get an account. I'm a fan of stuff by Just a Cheap Shirt- they run $30 on Gilt during shirt sales and are some of the better slim-fit shirts for the money.

Alucrid

Banned
Zara is another good in-the-middle choice since they have online shopping now.

I bought some clothea from them and wasnt too pleased. The shirts and pants werent slim at all and had to be completely changed at a tailor. Considering how much their clothea are normally o felt like it wasnt worth it.

bob page

I bought some clothea from them and wasnt too pleased. The shirts and pants werent slim at all and had to be completely changed at a tailor. Considering how much their clothea are normally o felt like it wasnt worth it.

You have to specifically pick the stuff that has a slim label, otherwise it's pretty standard sizes (I'm not sure if they distinguish this online but in-store you can tell by the label). Their blazers fit pretty slim, which is definitely a plus.

I haven't tried their slacks, though, since their smallest size is 34 length.

Yeah if you're williing to do the online thing and a return/exchange or two, yoox is a good site for unknown or lesser known labels who make well made, slim fitting pants:

Brian Dales
Mauro Grifoni
Patrizia Pepe
Daniele Allesandrini
Master Coat

And a bunch of others I'm forgetting, and thats just pants. Mauro Grifoni and Brian Dales are the best of the bunch IME

TheExodu5

Banned
So I bought some leather boots, and while the length is fine, they are a snug fit and my foot is a bit wider than the sole. Since the boots are leather, should I expect them to break in comfortably? I figured snug was better than loose, but I'm not completely sure.

bob page

So I bought some leather boots, and while the length is fine, they are a snug fit and my foot is a bit wider than the sole. Since the boots are leather, should I expect them to break in comfortably? I figured snug was better than loose, but I'm not completely sure.

You don't really want your heel moving while you're walking in boots, so snug is usually better. It usually takes a few weeks to break in leather boots (and sometimes it can be painful).

After an entire life of boycotting sweatpants I finally found a pair that I won't be ashamed of wearing:

6687104831_44d545f88c.jpg

Gotta make up for lost time. This weekend shall be entirely devoted to watching Justified blu-rays and eating junk food in those comfy ass pants.

(for the record, my go-to pants for chilling at home were previously adidas track pants, for like the last ten years)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After an entire life of boycotting sweatpants I finally found a pair that I won't be ashamed of wearing:

6687104831_44d545f88c.jpg

Gotta make up for lost time. This weekend shall be entirely devoted to watching Justified blu-rays and eating junk food in those comfy ass pants.

(for the record, my go-to pants for chilling at home were previously adidas track pants, for like the last ten years)

You wear pants at home?

I saw a really nice canvas messenger bag online but decided it was too expensive so went shopping today to find something else instead and to prevent me buying it. Saw it in the shop and decided I really liked it so I ended up getting it. Felt a bit guilty but convinced myself it was ok as I can afford it. Get it home, turns out the strap is way too big so it has to go back. So gutted. But that's what I get for buying a bloke's bag :( So the hunt continues for a woman version of this.

bob page

I saw a really nice canvas messenger bag online but decided it was too expensive so went shopping today to find something else instead and to prevent me buying it. Saw it in the shop and decided I really liked it so I ended up getting it. Felt a bit guilty but convinced myself it was ok as I can afford it. Get it home, turns out the strap is way too big so it has to go back. So gutted. But that's what I get for buying a bloke's bag :( So the hunt continues for a woman version of this.

Looks pretty similar to bags from Fossil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom