• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

I saw a really nice canvas messenger bag online but decided it was too expensive so went shopping today to find something else instead and to prevent me buying it. Saw it in the shop and decided I really liked it so I ended up getting it. Felt a bit guilty but convinced myself it was ok as I can afford it. Get it home, turns out the strap is way too big so it has to go back. So gutted. But that's what I get for buying a bloke's bag :( So the hunt continues for a woman version of this.
If you're from the US I would recommend Far Hot ions Traders. They have some high quality leather bags and are reasonable.

Got one for Christmas an it has worked really well.

What do you guys think of these? I like the overall look but I'm not sold on the brown on black so much. I can get the shoes for 14 bucks on sale though so they are mighty tempting

t3eWd.jpg

Anyone own any shoes from feitdirect? I love their designs but they're so expensive, was hoping someone could comment on their quality.
http://www.feitdirect.com/shop/categories/IN-STOCK/

STITCHDOWN-OLIVE-01_v1__35752_thumb.jpg

Feit is very well made, but those particular shoes are kind of a weird design/color. Dior homme is doing one similar for this s/s but they're a quite a bit more. On the flip side they'll probably be 50% off in a couple of months so itll be a wash.

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.a...orColor=SDU2MA==&season=actual&seasProdID=55I

After an entire life of boycotting sweatpants I finally found a pair that I won't be ashamed of wearing:

6687104831_44d545f88c.jpg

Gotta make up for lost time. This weekend shall be entirely devoted to watching Justified blu-rays and eating junk food in those comfy ass pants.

(for the record, my go-to pants for chilling at home were previously adidas track pants, for like the last ten years)
I also hate sweatpants. These look neat, where are they from?

Where can I get some decent quality plain colored t-shirts? I bought some Stafford t-shirts from JCPennys about a month ago and I like the way they fit, although they run a bit big. I haven't been able to find some decent shirts that don't cost way to much for a t-shirt.

What are some brands I should look at?

Well I guess I'll wait for Paris in a couple of days for something interesting... Overall some meh-to-good stuff mixed with dreadful shapes, materials, and shlock. Trussardi without Milan might as well just give up, and Jil was just not so good overall. and CK Collection had some nice outerwear, but was a lot of retreat on current stuff. I kind of dug Pringle and Moncler GB's outerwear but other than that I didn't really feel any of it. Costume National keeps making oddly shaped jackets, but maybe this is just a runway thing because everything I've run into IRL is quite nice and flattering.

Re: Raf, hopefully his own line does something interesting and not just a slightly more extreme variation on the same American Psycho-juxtaposition shit.

Well I guess I'll wait for Paris in a couple of days for something interesting... Overall some interesting-to-OK stuff mixed with dreadful shapes, materials, and shlock. Trussardi without Milan might as well just give up, and Jil was just not so good overall? Hopefull his own line does something interesting and not just a slightly more extreme variation on the same American Psycho-juxtaposition shit.

Pardon my extremely limited knowledge of men's fashion stores in Paris, but Massimo Dutti had some really good styles going on. I went to the store on the Champs Elysees. I ended up just getting really nice cologne for like 30 euro.

Anyone got suggesstions for "smart" black shoes? like styles and such?

Ive got these ones from River Island that ive had for like two years and really they need ditching. Unfortunatly most of the shoe shops in my area suck ass.
Online (uk) perhaps?

Stryder

Anyone own any shoes from feitdirect? I love their designs but they're so expensive, was hoping someone could comment on their quality.
http://www.feitdirect.com/shop/categories/IN-STOCK/

STITCHDOWN-OLIVE-01_v1__35752_thumb.jpg
I own a pair of the stitchdown's in midnight blue. Great shoe, very robust and look great. You can't fault the build quality, and their presentation is excellent as well (great box/bag).

I can heartily recommend them, I also own some of the Oxblood Hiker X's which are also fantastic.

coldvein

Banned
man..fashion...people..

i could use some advice. i'm a fashion noob and occasional hater, so if you don't want to help me i'd understand. but!

i've been wearing levi's 501's for pretty much my entire adult life. i'd like to mix up my jeans arsenal a bit. i don't want tightass jeans. no skinnyjeans. just comfy jeans that maybe look a little bit nicer. just something different? i dunno. $250+ is out of my price range. ideas?

man..fashion...people..

i could use some advice. i'm a fashion noob and occasional hater, so if you don't want to help me i'd understand. but!

i've been wearing levi's 501's for pretty much my entire adult life. i'd like to mix up my jeans arsenal a bit. i don't want tightass jeans. no skinnyjeans. just comfy jeans that maybe look a little bit nicer. just something different? i dunno. $250+ is out of my price range. ideas?

try seeing if Diesel has any sales going on, they make an arrangement of styles so you can find ones that are non-skinny or tight. Just remember though, clothing is meant to be 'fit' so if you want to look nicer makes sure it fits.

Bought some Brown boat shoes from Burton for £8, what's a good outfit for them.

I was thinking slim jeans or Chinos rolled up above the ankle and an open shirt with a t-shirt underneath?

Pretty sure sockless is the way to go too, sweaty feet though :/

I really do need some invisible socks.

man..fashion...people..

There's no reason to change off Levi's - i would just consider changing cuts. I've had all kinds of different 'expensive' jeans and Levi's 513 are my favorite cut and aren't too skinny. IMO they compete w/ muuuuch more pricey jeans. 501's are just a totally non-flattering cut for 90% of men.

coldvein

Banned
There's no reason to change off Levi's - i would just consider changing cuts. I've had all kinds of different 'expensive' jeans and Levi's 513 are my favorite cut and aren't too skinny. IMO they compete w/ muuuuch more pricey jeans. 501's are just a totally non-flattering cut for 90% of men.

hmmmm. 513 eh? will look into it. thx.

(for the record, i am a pretty skinny dude)

hmmmm. 513 eh? will look into it. thx.

(for the record, i am a pretty skinny dude)

513's should be "fitted, a little tight but not crazy tight". They fit me better/look nice than all my other jeans except maybe a pair of APC's i really loved but wore so much i destroyed.

I also have levi's 521's that I like, but they are tight due to the taper. Still really like them though, esp. for tucking into boots in the winter. Not too tight in the thigh/ass though. Good cut but i like the 513 better.

h3ro

Never mind, found the answer to my question.

Personally, I like the fit of 514s, a little bit more room than 513s.

soultron

Banned
511s are rad.

Slimmer than the 513s but not like you'd imagine. They still have a fairly wide leg opening so you're not going to have carrot legs like you would in a pair of actual skinny jeans.

man..fashion...people..

by nicer do you mean something you can wear 'dressed up' or just nicer quality? blackbird in ballard will have some stuff that is a little (or a lot) off the beaten path, like greys, blacks, etc. Some of it is definitely on the skinny side but I usually size up when confronted with the skinnyleg shit and get a nice sorta slouchy-slim fit out of the deal.

bob page

Be sure to check out UO if you're looking for jeans. They had a pretty good sale last week on Levi's and many other brands. I picked up some Cohesive raw denim for $15 .

RS4-

W2GpJ.jpg

Found those posted a few pages back, anyone have thoughts on quality and such? I'm not too familiar with J Shoes.

bob page

W2GpJ.jpg

Found those posted a few pages back, anyone have thoughts on quality and such? I'm not too familiar with J Shoes.

That'd be me. The quality is great for the price- I was really impressed when I got them. The fit is a bit slim through the foot, but it's definitely gotten a bit looser after breaking for a few weeks.

I've gotten many compliments on them, though.

RS4-

That'd be me. The quality is great for the price- I was really impressed when I got them. The fit is a bit slim through the foot, but it's definitely gotten a bit looser after breaking for a few weeks.

I've gotten many compliments on them, though.

Alright thanks, found one store that happens to carry them, I guess I'll check them out. I hear the sizes run a bit big though? Something about wearing them a size smaller than usual.

I wear 12s and the store happens to have an 11.5.

bob page

Alright thanks, found one store that happens to carry them, I guess I'll check them out. I hear the sizes run a bit big though? Something about wearing them a size smaller than usual.

I wear 12s and the store happens to have an 11.5.
I usually size boots down one full size (I usually wear 10.5 sneakers, 10 dress shoes, 9.5 boots). In this case, I probably would have been good ordering a 10 but the 9.5 fits fine- just a tad snug. No heel slippage, though, which is always good.

I got the dark brown ones, not the oxblood:
http://images.jackthreads.com/data/products/ChainsawShoeDarkBrownB.jpg

RS4-

I usually size boots down one full size (I usually wear 10.5 sneakers, 10 dress shoes, 9.5 boots). In this case, I probably would have been good ordering a 10 but the 9.5 fits fine.

I got the dark brown ones, not the oxblood.

Much appreciated. I'll go buy them now!

W2GpJ.jpg

are these the chainsaw boots? if you wear a 12 i'd suggest a size 10.5 at least... they're really oversized for some reason

i usually wear a size 13 and i have a black pair of j shoes chainsaw boots that fit me and they're a 10.5 lol but they're a little tight on my right foot (my bigger foot)

something to consider

After an entire life of boycotting sweatpants I finally found a pair that I won't be ashamed of wearing:

6687104831_44d545f88c.jpg

Gotta make up for lost time. This weekend shall be entirely devoted to watching Justified blu-rays and eating junk food in those comfy ass pants.

(for the record, my go-to pants for chilling at home were previously adidas track pants, for like the last ten years)
where did you get them?

kaskade

How much does it usually cost for a tailor to bring up the sleeves on a coat? I boat a nice jacket from Uniqlo today but the sleeves are just a bit long. They're basically where the shirt should end.

How much does it usually cost for a tailor to bring up the sleeves on a coat? I boat a nice jacket from Uniqlo today but the sleeves are just a bit long. They're basically where the shirt should end.

If its just a plain sleeve with lining, around $15 usually. Buttons and things can sometimes complicate the issue/cost.

kaskade

If its just a plain sleeve with lining, around $15 usually. Buttons and things can sometimes complicate the issue/cost.
That's not bad. The jacket fits basically perfect minus the sleeve length. They will probably have to do something with the buttons though. I'm guessing that they would just take the bottom button off and move it up top. Otherwise it would probably look a bit weird being so close.

Is this a blazer? Do the buttons work or are they just sewn on decoration? The former can cause difficulties.

And yeah, if they are just decoration, they just move them the appropriate distance from the sleeve head.

kaskade

Is this a blazer? Do the buttons work or are they just sewn on decoration? The former can cause difficulties.

And yeah, if they are just decoration, they just move them the appropriate distance from the sleeve head.

It's a blazer, should have clarified that. They're just decoration. Thanks for the help though. I'll probably go to the local tailor tomorrow. Supposedly she's pretty good.

Can wool coats be tailored? I picked up a duffle coat from Topman and it's a tiny bit too big. If not, I'll deal with it.
Almost anything can be altered, its just a question of cost vs benefit.. If the coat is substantially too big, however, it can end up looking bad post alteration. Shoulder width, generally, is kind of stuck, so if its just a bit long in the sleeve or wide in the chest you should be ok.

bob page

Almost anything can be altered, its just a question of cost vs benefit.. If the coat is substantially too big, however, it can end up looking bad post alteration. Shoulder width, generally, is kind of stuck, so if its just a bit long in the sleeve or wide in the chest you should be ok.

Yep, just a bit long in the sleeve & wide in the chest- thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom