• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
i'm kinda just hoping people stop wearing cardigans so i don't have to ever buy any... but i want to so badly

They're a good excuse to buy more dress shirts to pair them with so you don't end up doing the awkward t-shirt + cardigan look. I'm not hating on it, but I just think it looks funny. Plus, having more dress shirts is always a good thing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
POhCt.jpg

Any suggestion for a pair of shoes/boots to wear with a casual dress outfit. Was thinking of chukka boots or oxfords.
you pretty much said it. if you want to make a clear distinction in your shoe choice between 'formal' vs 'casual dressy' get something in a brown with broging (those decorative holes etc).

Like this, for instance:

rwc6v.jpg

GorillaJu

I hung out with Drew (TOJ) and discussed some trousers he's working on this weekend. Fit really nice. Good details, edgy cut. Some things will be changed but they should be a hit.

bob page

I have a pair of Bass Barret dark brown suede wingtips (size 10.5) that I got a few months back that don't fit me right. I wore them once and decided my they were too small (fit closer to a 10).

Same as this one here:
http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/EC1221727-5128142/Bass/Dark+Brown/Men's+Barret.aspx

Looking for $40 shipped, PM me

I also have a 3.4oz bottle of Burberry Brit cologne that I got as a gift. I sprayed it once and decided it wasn't for me (don't usually wear cologne). Still have the box and everything, as new with the exception of the one spray.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7STWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looking for $24 shipped.

Alucrid

Banned
I hung out with Drew (TOJ) and discussed some trousers he's working on this weekend. Fit really nice. Good details, edgy cut. Some things will be changed but they should be a hit.

Trousers, jeans, some form of footwear, sunglasses, bags, t-shirts (though he might havebeen joking about those), new s/s jackets, it's crazy how much he has planned.

So I bought these last week on eBay,

BEAMS-x-Oakley-Frogskin_16_D.jpg

They were limited to Japan only and found a seller who would do it off eBay for $250 flat so I thought what the hell. Now I get that these are obviously Asian in style, but man I guess I didn't realize what it's like to actually wear sunglasses where people can see your eyes. See I like the blue frame, yellow-ish lens but I'm not confident in the "see through my lens" look.

Am I looking to into it? Do people even notice this kind of stuff? I mean if all else I can always buy new reflective lens and replace them, but kind of ruins it considering these are limited design and I'm changing the design.

your avatar says it all. Loved the monster mash football themed show. Really could live in the School of thom clothing all year.
the padded stuff was absurd/odd looking (well the silhouette anyway, I doubt they would be produced in that manner) but the studded shit?

00140m.jpg

00110m.jpg

00430m.jpg

fuuuuuuu

soultron

Banned
That one jacket is hilarious. It's like wearing an Iron Maiden. Want to sit on a chair or lean against a wall? YOU'RE SHIT OUT OF LUCK, YOU SNAPPY-DRESSING FUCK!

The shoulder pad made of studs is bad-ass though. Imagine how much better your elbow drops would be.

I'm not hating macuser. I'm just having a laugh.

LordCanti

That one jacket is hilarious. It's like wearing an Iron Maiden. Want to sit on a chair or lean against a wall? YOU'RE SHIT OUT OF LUCK, YOU SNAPPY-DRESSING FUCK!

The shoulder pad made of studs is bad-ass though. Imagine how much better your elbow drops would be.

If there's one thing I've always said, it's that a good jacket should come with a matching gimp mask.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Does anyone have any information about good places to shop in Tokyo? I am looking for some good quality (hopefully not too expensive) suits. I also need a good quality messenger bag or briefcase. I just got an internship at a top Tokyo law firm, so I want to look awesome.

While I am here, I have two or three other Tokyo fashion questions. As a goofy white guy, is there any male Japanese fashion that would transfer okay to US fashion? I like Japanese culture, but I know there are limits. What are some good places for good quality, fashionable stuff. I know about Uniqlo (I love that place), but is there anywhere else I am missing?

I think I am a 44L and my waist is a 32US, which I think is like an 82/83 in Japan. So far I have fit XL stuff pretty well, but I just thought I would throw out my size in case I needed to go somewhere special, but I think I will be okay.

lol, well if I'm buying what is probably a 10k jacket, the chair is gonna have to toughen the fuck up and deal with it.

Does anyone here have any experience with Danner Boots?

I owned a pair of Danner Rain Forests in black a couple of winters ago. Very well built and I quite liked them, especially that they had a wide EE option.

(Though I made the mistake of getting the insulated ones and they were complete overkill for my desk job. So sold them.)

RS4-

Ugh, my order for the J Shoes boots from jackthreads are still "in packaging" and have been for the past week when delivery date is listed for tomorrow lol.

wtf :|

Lkr

i'm not a fashionable guy, and i don't try to be or pretend to be one to be honest. just wondering if there is really anything wrong with wearing carpenter jeans when going to class or just chilling with my friends. some people seem really against them, but they're the only thing I can get to fit around my big ass. i'm not a real self-conscious person, but i don't want to look as stupid as the random guys i see with jorts or sandals with socks...

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Does anyone have any information about good places to shop in Tokyo? I am looking for some good quality (hopefully not too expensive) suits. I also need a good quality messenger bag or briefcase. I just got an internship at a top Tokyo law firm, so I want to look awesome.

While I am here, I have two or three other Tokyo fashion questions. As a goofy white guy, is there any male Japanese fashion that would transfer okay to US fashion? I like Japanese culture, but I know there are limits. What are some good places for good quality, fashionable stuff. I know about Uniqlo (I love that place), but is there anywhere else I am missing?

I think I am a 44L and my waist is a 32US, which I think is like an 82/83 in Japan. So far I have fit XL stuff pretty well, but I just thought I would throw out my size in case I needed to go somewhere special, but I think I will be okay.

One of my favorite brands is Beams, which does everything from high quality tees to classic casual wear to formal attire. It's not Uniqlo cheap, but I really like a lot of the stuff they carry, whether it's the in-house label or from other established brands. They have a cluster of stores (Beams T, Beams F, etc) in Harajuku and elsewhere.

bob page

Ugh, my order for the J Shoes boots from jackthreads are still "in packaging" and have been for the past week when delivery date is listed for tomorrow lol.

wtf :|

Yeah, JT is pretty garbage compared to Gilt and Ruelala. Mine took over 2 weeks to arrive.

Alucrid

Banned

Raw

Denim

i'm not a fashionable guy, and i don't try to be or pretend to be one to be honest. just wondering if there is really anything wrong with wearing carpenter jeans when going to class or just chilling with my friends. some people seem really against them, but they're the only thing I can get to fit around my big ass. i'm not a real self-conscious person, but i don't want to look as stupid as the random guys i see with jorts or sandals with socks...
I think that the most rational thing to say is that if you're going to wear plain carpenter jeans around, you'll probably not end up looking stylish/fashionable. If that's what you're going for that, then as long as your jeans fit (and I mean fit well - this is the first and perhaps most important step to buying any clothing) then I'm sure you're fine. The thing is, if you don't want to look like any run-of-the-mill, generally unfashionable person who just buys whatever to wear, even a small bit of thought towards picking your wardrobe will go a long way. The reward is multitudes greater than the effort you put into it.

It's also important to note that while you may recognize other trends to be dumb looking or whatever, you may not even notice that you look goofy yourself. It's a good idea to take a step back and truly reevaluate how you look, and even get advice from others if you're looking to step up the way you look.

Draft

Since you're looking for a 12 drop suit (wtf), it's lucky that Japan is relatively close to Hong Kong and hundreds of bespoke tailors that work for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom