• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
The longer you can keep the shoes looking brand new, the more the ladies get impressed!

RE: expensive jeans. I think you can certainly tell the difference. Although Levi's are pretty darn good for their price, the quality of the fabric feels nicer on more expensive jeans and the inking is better too. I am really not a fan of Diesel though.

yeah, just to be totally clear, i have one pair of diesel jeans and they have lasted over four years, and look practically the same--if not better--than the day i bought them. my other jeans have been systematically ripped asunder. i do not mind paying $200ish (though it does hurt) so long as i can view it as an investment, i.e., the jeans look good and will last a long time.

Yami

For £15 thats the average price for something from Topman so if its good quality they are a bargain!

I haven't bought anything from ELA, but I am a big fan of HonourOverGlory.com who print on Gildan Ultra cotton and I can vouch for their decent quality. Speaking of, they have a 50% birthday sale tomorrow if you fancy supporting a British independent brand. Nice hoodies and t-shirt designs, if you like the kind of indie/scene/hipster/rock look, I guess.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
yeah, just to be totally clear, i have one pair of diesel jeans and they have lasted over four years, and look practically the same--if not better--than the day i bought them. my other jeans have been systematically ripped asunder. i do not mind paying $200ish (though it does hurt) so long as i can view it as an investment, i.e., the jeans look good and will last a long time.

I wouldn't spend $200+ on Diesel. Eww.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Most reliable jeans are Armani Jeans and Prada imo. I have many jeans and they're the ones that last trough the years.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I wouldn't spend $200+ on Diesel. Eww.

what brand WOULD you, if any?

listen, i just want some nice 100% cotton jeans that aren't cut like they're made for a 50 year old man or a 20 year old kid. you know what i mean? something that isn't painted on, but something that isn't baggy, something that is versatile and can be dressed up or down.

that's a lot to ask of a pair of pants, but hell, we're talking jeans here, and if any pants can do it, good jeans can. hell, the pair of diesels that i do own--i think i paid $150?--they're certainly capable of all of the above. and they're durable and have held their color like total bosses, on top of that.

i'm sure there are better and cheaper brands that fit the qualifications, but i don't know them. thus, my fashion thread entreaty for advice!

Alucrid

Banned
what brand WOULD you, if any?

listen, i just want some nice 100% cotton jeans that aren't cut like they're made for a 50 year old man or a 20 year old kid. you know what i mean? something that isn't painted on, but something that isn't baggy, something that is versatile and can be dressed up or down.

that's a lot to ask of a pair of pants, but hell, we're talking jeans here, and if any pants can do it, good jeans can. hell, the pair of diesels that i do own--i think i paid $150?--they're certainly capable of all of the above. and they're durable and have held their color like total bosses, on top of that.

i'm sure there are better and cheaper brands that fit the qualifications, but i don't know them. thus, my fashion thread entreaty for advice!

So you don't want fading?

Nice look and IKEA TV stand.

I wish I could up my interior design swag, but I don't really feel like doing it until I move into an apartment I can see myself staying in for a while. :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
So you don't want fading?

light fading is okay, but nothing too extreme.
elaborate, borderline comedic stitching on the butt is unacceptable.
i'd like something of a medium shade, but lighter is more useful in my wardrobe (hence the diesels i posted, or the levi's, which were bluish).

anyway, i think i'm being a bit too much trouble. i didn't mean to start an argument about jean pricing or anything. i understand the negative reaction to the pricing, for sure. it's a lot of money. but it's also a pretty versatile piece of clothing, so i don't mind as much.

Yeah, if you're not into fading etc acne is a good bet. nice cuts & washes. apc has some non selvage jeans that are nice too. maybe kitsune also but hard to find.

I need a bag for work that I can use in quasi-formal settings but that isn't a brief case. Also, I need to be able to dress it down when my work takes me to rougher urban neighborhoods and incredibly rural areas. I've been using a messenger that fits the above requirements quite nicely, but it's waxed canvas and doesn't hold a shape on its own.

I really like this satchel J Crew has, but I'm in the process of buying a condo and the wife will be pissed if I blow 4 bills on a murse.

server

Any ideas?

I haven't bought anything from ELA, but I am a big fan of HonourOverGlory.com who print on Gildan Ultra cotton and I can vouch for their decent quality. Speaking of, they have a 50% birthday sale tomorrow if you fancy supporting a British independent brand. Nice hoodies and t-shirt designs, if you like the kind of indie/scene/hipster/rock look, I guess.

Hmm unless its over Im not seeing 50% off! I did want some Honour stuff but it was allways sold out when I checked!

Ah flash sale at 6, doesn't mention tshirts though but I only really would buy the tattoo style one.

Also been meaning to ask this for awhile but fashion folk, this is kind of related but do you guys change your hair styles atall? Im really bored of mine but I need some ideas and my google skills fail me at finding websites that dont look they are from the 90's.

bob page

I need a bag for work that I can use in quasi-formal settings but that isn't a brief case. Also, I need to be able to dress it down when my work takes me to rougher urban neighborhoods and incredibly rural areas. I've been using a messenger that fits the above requirements quite nicely, but it's waxed canvas and doesn't hold a shape on its own.

I really like this satchel J Crew has, but I'm in the process of buying a condo and the wife will be pissed if I blow 4 bills on a murse.

server

Any ideas?

Keep an eye on Gilt- they usually have sales on bags every week or so. I saw a few nice ones from JV and Jack Spade a few days ago.

bob page

server

Any ideas?

Ruelala has this one from Marc New York for $89 right now:
1211774440_RLLZ_1.jpg

http://www.ruelala.com/invite/uncleguito
http://www.ruelala.com/event/product/45745/1211774440/0/DEFAULT#top

Keep an eye on Gilt- they usually have sales on bags every week or so. I saw a few nice ones from JV and Jack Spade a few days ago.

speaking of which, got this jack spade bag for the new year to take with me to work and i just want to wear it around just because:

_6466796.jpg

simple, does the job, and was on sale.

Yami

Hmm unless its over Im not seeing 50% off! I did want some Honour stuff but it was allways sold out when I checked!

Ah flash sale at 6, doesn't mention tshirts though but I only really would buy the tattoo style one.

Also been meaning to ask this for awhile but fashion folk, this is kind of related but do you guys change your hair styles atall? Im really bored of mine but I need some ideas and my google skills fail me at finding websites that dont look they are from the 90's.

Hah, I got a hoodie earlier, server was crashing though cuz of demand! I already own that t-shirt anyway, so didn't matter much that t-shirts weren't on sale.

My hair style has always been rather the same throughout the years, but has kinda evolved and looks a lot different to when I first started styling. Had some various hairdressers through the past, and they've always done something a bit different so I've had to adapt, but I haven't felt like changing much anyway. I do wake up some days, being pretty fucking bored of my hair, but I really can't do much else with it haha. What style have you got at the moment? Maybe check out some Asian hairstyles, as they're always quite funky and unique and you can get some ideas.

Opinions on this jacket? Am I crazy for thinking of spending this much?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/jcrewingoodcompany/PRDOVR~40302/40302.jsp

Damn son, that comes up as like £500 - half a grand!? If you have money to burn, do it, but I'm sure you can find something of a similar style and quality elsewhere for cheaper. I'm not too fond of the hood, but I do like the style. Get it if your wallet agrees.

GorillaJu

light fading is okay, but nothing too extreme.
elaborate, borderline comedic stitching on the butt is unacceptable.
i'd like something of a medium shade, but lighter is more useful in my wardrobe (hence the diesels i posted, or the levi's, which were bluish).

anyway, i think i'm being a bit too much trouble. i didn't mean to start an argument about jean pricing or anything. i understand the negative reaction to the pricing, for sure. it's a lot of money. but it's also a pretty versatile piece of clothing, so i don't mind as much.

I'll paraphrase a discussion that's been going on since like 2002 - the problem with Diesel has never been the price. It's just that most everything they make is tacky.

In the last 6 or so years, I've bought no less than 10 pairs of jeans that cost me between $200 and $300 - occasionally more.

If you want something that's a higher quality standard than Diesel but has a trendier fit (as opposed to Japan-made reproductions of classic Levi's cuts), I recommend Nudie or Acne (Sweden), or Rag and Bone (USA). The undisputed best fit for me has never been beaten since their inception in the early millennium, and that is Dior Homme.

There are others worth mentioning, like Naked and Famous, or Crate. But in my experience, only Nudie and Rag and Bone have stood the test of time in terms of design and quality. Nudie's "Dry Selvedge" (13.25 oz, the perfect weight) is awesome denim. My very favorites, 5EP, are unfortunately no longer in production after some unfortunate circumstances overtook the pair behind their production.

GorillaJu

Opinions on this jacket? Am I crazy for thinking of spending this much?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/jcrewingoodcompany/PRDOVR~40302/40302.jsp

Like most J Crew it's not bad, just not worth the price to me. J Crew does fill a nice niche however, in that it's easily accessible and not absurdly expensive, yet is not over-designed garbage.

I'd sooner look for something from a Japanese brand like Lad Musician, Cosmic Wonder or Attachment. You could find a better fit and higher quality garment for nearly the same price. Acquiring it is the difficult part.

5amshift

Banned
I just picked up the Levis 511 commuter jeans and they're unbelievable. I bike ALOT, so I'm quite interested in what these jeans put up with. Now I just need a nice pair of black sneakers to go with them.

Desi

I'll paraphrase a discussion that's been going on since like 2002 - the problem with Diesel has never been the price. It's just that most everything they make is tacky.
i did like a pair of Diesel Thanaz's I picked up a few years back. great wash but a size big, not including the stretch.

but now I wear mostly levis. Only wore a pair of Dior homme during a world tour and my APC is too big (superswap gift).
Anyone know where I can find these?

kscjJ.jpg
pay 2x-3x the price and get a pair of Pierre Hardy's? otherwise I do not know.

Why the hell did they put a sneaker sole on a dress shoe?

cole haan is owned by nike, so it makes sense.

a lot of cole haan dress shoes are ridiculously comfortable to wear to work if you have an office job, because they use that nike tech in their insoles/soles.

but i wouldnt rock those.

bob page

cole haan is owned by nike, so it makes sense.

a lot of cole haan dress shoes are ridiculously comfortable to wear to work if you have an office job, because they use that nike tech in their insoles/soles.

but i wouldnt rock those.

I'm pretty sure they're more casual shoes meant to be worn with jeans- not at an office.

Try on a pair of nice expensive jeans and you'll see how wrong you are.

While i haven't owned the top-echelon of jeans like $450 Pure Blue's, i've owned many a pair of "high end" jeans (7/citizen/ernest sewn/apc/made & crafted/etc). All of them were between $2-300, and none of them were ***that much*** better than the levi's i wear now. Plus I can own 3 different colors/washes/fits for the same price, which drastically expands my wardrobe.

I have this discussion w/ the owners of a couple of my fav Toronto shops (for example, Lost & Found, which IMO is the best new store in the city) and they stop stocking expensive jeans since Levi's transitioned the Capital E cuts to their normal Levi's line. It's the same thing w/ Chino's... why pay more when Unis makes amazing ones at a much better price.

Anywho, I've had this argument before. It's all personal preference, and my preference is to not spend $300 on jeans when I can spend $100 and get very similar fit/cut/quality.

see5harp

The one reason I love Levis is that their cuts are always consistent. If I get a pair of raw 514's or 501's I pretty much don't even need to try them on and in many cases I look at the wash and just bounce.

Doytch

Yeah, just copped some goodass shit from that Clad sale.
yE0ZE.jpg

Can't fuckin wait for those brogues. Florsheim x Duckie Brown at $112 from $350? Fuuuuck,.

bob page

I posted it above. There's a ton of great deals and it just started this morning- looks like stuff is selling out pretty quickly (I wanted to get some JV dress shirts for $30 but they're all gone).

Replace that Boconi with a leather strap and hnnnghh, what a steal.
Yeah, if it would have had briefcase handles, I would have insta-bought. Still though, beautiful messenger bag. I ended up getting this one just because I needed a more casual bag in addition to my work one:
http://www.cladmen.com/on-sale/consulate-brief-case.html

Also got some pocket squares and shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom