• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
While i haven't owned the top-echelon of jeans like $450 Pure Blue's, i've owned many a pair of "high end" jeans (7/citizen/ernest sewn/apc/made & crafted/etc). All of them were between $2-300, and none of them were ***that much*** better than the levi's i wear now. Plus I can own 3 different colors/washes/fits for the same price, which drastically expands my wardrobe.

I have this discussion w/ the owners of a couple of my fav Toronto shops (for example, Lost & Found, which IMO is the best new store in the city) and they stop stocking expensive jeans since Levi's transitioned the Capital E cuts to their normal Levi's line. It's the same thing w/ Chino's... why pay more when Unis makes amazing ones at a much better price.

Anywho, I've had this argument before. It's all personal preference, and my preference is to not spend $300 on jeans when I can spend $100 and get very similar fit/cut/quality.
You're inflating the prices are bit. Many top brand cuts are sub 400. Apcs are sub 200, I don't think 7 or citizen jeans are a good benchmark and I have no personal experience with the last brand. Also, I looked up unis chinos and the mrsp is $200?

While i haven't owned the top-echelon of jeans like $450 Pure Blue's, i've owned many a pair of "high end" jeans (7/citizen/ernest sewn/apc/made & crafted/etc). All of them were between $2-300, and none of them were ***that much*** better than the levi's i wear now. Plus I can own 3 different colors/washes/fits for the same price, which drastically expands my wardrobe.

I have this discussion w/ the owners of a couple of my fav Toronto shops (for example, Lost & Found, which IMO is the best new store in the city) and they stop stocking expensive jeans since Levi's transitioned the Capital E cuts to their normal Levi's line. It's the same thing w/ Chino's... why pay more when Unis makes amazing ones at a much better price.

Anywho, I've had this argument before. It's all personal preference, and my preference is to not spend $300 on jeans when I can spend $100 and get very similar fit/cut/quality.
well, you're comparing niche MIJ shuttle loomed jeans (which are going to be more expensive due the mechanical process/labor itself, all other factors aside) to designer denim that focuses on washes etc like 7, citizen, and ernest sewn.

I will say the hype for hardcore MIJ selvage denim is dropping a bit but that's like most things, goes in cycles. Most people want the look of nice jeans but aren't willing to drop X amount of dollars. Though there will always be people who are willing to drop $800 or whatever on hand dipped (by an old man in the mountains!) natural indigo denim with hand burnished rivets etc

Zeppu

Are there any cool shopping sites which ship to/based in EU? It's heartbreaking watching you get all these cool deals and no one willing to ship anything to me :(

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any cool shopping sites which ship to/based in EU? It's heartbreaking watching you get all these cool deals and no one willing to ship anything to me :(

I too would like to know this. Started ordering stuff from Ebay but that always takes a very long time to get here and is often subject to all sorts of extra taxes.

How do these shoes compare to say, Allen Edmonds? With this sale, they're much cheaper than the average AE (>$200).
I don't know if they have quite the same finishing level as AE, but it's close enough that $112 makes it a null issue... That's barely more than shitty mall Alfani/etc shoes. Granted I've only seen 1 pair of the FxDB shoes in the wild, and this was a year or so ago.

How do these shoes compare to say, Allen Edmonds? With this sale, they're much cheaper than the average AE (>$200).

One of the marks of higher quality shoes like Allen Edmonds or Aldens will be a Goodyear welt. The soles on these seem to be attached with an adhesive instead of a sewn welt. I'm also slightly concerned about leather that is slightly distressed before you buy it. Well-designed leathers that are meant to age well do not have to by pre-distressed by the manufacturer. They are also described as imported, but it doesn't say where from so they probably came from a sweatshop in asia.

Having said all that, they have a nice shape, the toe detail looks decent and are probably worth $112.

The lone pair I've seen were definitely goodyear welted, but that's about all I know of them. Apparently, from googling, some or all of them are made in India but that's not a terrible thing by any stretch considering the going price. Grenson makes decent shoes in India, probably from the same manufacturer.

zero_suit

One of the marks of higher quality shoes like Allen Edmonds or Aldens will be a Goodyear welt. The soles on these seem to be attached with an adhesive instead of a sewn welt. I'm also slightly concerned about leather that is slightly distressed before you buy it. Well-designed leathers that are meant to age well do not have to by pre-distressed by the manufacturer. They are also described as imported, but it doesn't say where from so they probably came from a sweatshop in asia.

Having said all that, they have a nice shape, the toe detail looks decent and are probably worth $112.

Alright, I can wait until I save enough to get some AEs. Those will be my first pair of high-quality dress shoes.

Guevara

I don't know if they have quite the same finishing level as AE, but it's close enough that $112 makes it a null issue... That's barely more than shitty mall Alfani/etc shoes. Granted I've only seen 1 pair of the FxDB shoes in the wild, and this was a year or so ago.

DSW by me had the navy version of the F x Duckie Brown in stock for considerably more money. They are some serious shoes, very solid and very heavy. I couldn't pull the trigger on that color but would have bought brown or cognac.

Doytch

Yeah...this was pretty much my rationale. I've wanted some 'different' cognac shoes for a while, and these fit the bill. And in terms of build quality, I don't really need them to be tank-like; it's not like I'll be wearing shoes in this colour all the friggin time.

Yeah...this was pretty much my rationale. I've wanted some 'different' cognac shoes for a while, and these fit the bill. And in terms of build quality, I don't really need them to be tank-like; it's not like I'll be wearing shoes in this colour all the friggin time.
Yeah, and the duckie brown line has a lot of quirky colors like navy, red, and white; which are hard to find at a lower MSRP. Tricker's is the only company that comes to mind who makes stuff like that, and they're $150-$200 more, and way harder to find on discount.

They're no Watanabe Levi Printed sweat-jeans, which hurt my head to look at:

kJWkQ.jpg

http://blog.stylesight.com/denim/junya-watanabe-comme-des-garcons-man-x-levi’s

Enron

Banned

Those FxDB are an absolute no-brainer at that price.

I have a pair of Florsheim Limited longwings that I think are pretty great for 150 bucks, and the FxDBs blow them away.

Florsheim's doing some pretty nice things these days. Sure it ain't allen edmonds, but it's not really all that far off and its less than half the price.

6523334007_d519f88267_z.jpg

pardon the crappy photo, but you get the idea.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Does Gaf like denim jackets, provided they are a dark Blue color-preferably slim/modern fit?

I am sick of hoodies, and am pretty sure Blazers look a little preppy if you were the everywhere...

Does Gaf like denim jackets, provided they are a dark Blue color-preferably slim/modern fit?

I am sick of hoodies, and am pretty sure Blazers look a little preppy if you were the everywhere...
I think they look fine, just beware the canadian tuxedo effect. So dark blue jacket + lighter blue or grey denim, or vice versa, etc.

Alucrid

Banned

They can look good...but there are more alternatives to hoodies than just blazers and denim jackets.

Desi

yeah the CDG are without any argument the coolest ones. CP ones are nice and straightforward but I heard bad things about the MMM wallets over at sufu.

Lol I just realized that the mmm was supposed to hmmm I just missed the H. Damn you margiela and your sneaky abbreviations.

And yeah, just get comme. They're basically man-clutches, which makes sense, since zip wallets aren't the most discrete objects out there.

aFIGurANT

No luck on contextclothing? that one canadian online front I forget the name of? I feel like one of those two has the shipping option at least..and offer most everything to boot. I think CP also is based in europe or something, they definitely have a euro-friendly site out there. Also you have the best Fred Perry and those one-shoes-I forget-but-that-are-cool-and-slip-on. I'm sure there's more but it's been a minute since buying stuff retail.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need a new wallet. I need something that will put 10+ cards (with at least 3 cards easily accessible) and a wad of cash. Brown leather.

Alucrid

Banned
No luck on contextclothing? that one canadian online front I forget the name of? I feel like one of those two has the shipping option at least..and offer most everything to boot. I think CP also is based in europe or something, they definitely have a euro-friendly site out there. Also you have the best Fred Perry and those one-shoes-I forget-but-that-are-cool-and-slip-on. I'm sure there's more but it's been a minute since buying stuff retail.

ssense?

This weather is the worst. It's below 31 in the morning but reaches 50 something in the afternoon.

soultron

Banned
ssense?

This weather is the worst. It's below 31 in the morning but reaches 50 something in the afternoon.

I feel like the poorest bastard in the world whenever I hop onto SSENSE.

And I thought JackThreads got expensive from time to time. Hahahahahahahahaha.

I have beef with Crooks & Castles.

A) Why the fuck are they charging $150+ for wool-poly blends? It's like paying good money to wear craft felt.

MensWovenBaseballJacketHiLuxeScarletF.jpg

B) Why are they cribbing directly from Gucci? Shameless:

BanditoFlagCardiganSweaterCreamA.jpg

Gucci, for comparison:

gucci.jpg

soultron

Banned
Probably because half of the stuff is garbage...the good stuf sells out pretty quickly.

This. So much of the stuff is ugly trash. You can find the occasional great deal on there. I find their selection is of poor quality (material- and build-wise) during the winter because the outerwear goes for ~$100-200. You can't get decent clothing for that much money, in my opinion. You need to spend more.

However, in the spring and summer, that range works for stuff like jeans and dress shirts.

Would this be the right place to talk about hairstyles?

I always wear my hair short, but I have a cowlick in the front right of my hair which makes getting a good haircut kind of difficult. It looks weird when I buzz my hair, and with slightly longer hair I've tried pushing it over to the other side but I'm not a big fan of that look either.

Anyone in here have to deal with a cowlick? Shits annoying

I always wear my hair short, but I have a cowlick in the front right of my hair which makes getting a good haircut kind of difficult. It looks weird when I buzz my hair, and with slightly longer hair I've tried pushing it over to the other side but I'm not a big fan of that look either.

I have a mild one, and I've found American Crew clay keeps it in order. Not sure if it would work with really short hair, but it might be worth a shot.

I have a mild one, and I've found American Crew clay keeps it in order. Not sure if it would work with really short hair, but it might be worth a shot.

The problem isn't just with it sticking up though...It makes my hairline a little further back then the rest of my hair in that one area, so whenever I get a haircut it looks weird and kind of crooked. Almost like I have a receding hairline but only on one side

bob page

I have 2 cowlicks. I usually get a 5 or 6 buzz on the sides and keep it pretty long with a scissor cut on top. I make sure they don't cut off too much in the front (just texture it) so I have enough to style it over the cowlick.

I have 2 cowlicks. I usually get a 5 or 6 buzz on the sides and keep it pretty long with a scissor cut on top. I make sure they don't cut off too much in the front (just texture it) so I have enough to style it over the cowlick.

Guess I should probably try out a new barber and give this a shot...Do you just ask them to scissor cut it on the top and texture the front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom