• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

Guess I should probably try out a new barber and give this a shot...Do you just ask them to scissor cut it on the top and texture the front?

Yeah, and I tell them multiple times not to make it too short on the top / front. Back when I lived in Michigan, I couldn't find one barber who could cut my hair right. Now that I'm in NYC, I finally found a good place that actually listens to me (granted, it costs almost 3x as much).

Opening a can of worms here...

ELEVATOR SHOES

I just ordered a pair of these height-increasing shoes from Don's Footwear, a discreet 3-inch increase apparently.

ibyrG3XShvl27R.jpg

I've never worn elevator shoes before, but I'll be teaching soon and think the extra stature (I'm 5'5'') will make me seem more authoritative to my students.

These set me back about $150 and take a couple weeks for delivery, so I'm feverish with anticipation.

Anyone else brave enough to admit owning a pair of height-increasing shoes? Do they work as well as they seem?

BumRush

Gaf, I live in America...quick suit question. I'm relatively slim (5'9" 165 lbs) and I'm looking for a $500 (or less) suit that has that "barney stinson" slim fitting look...any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

shira

I've never worn elevator shoes before, but I'll be teaching soon and think the extra stature (I'm 5'5'') will make me seem more authoritative to my students.
Confidence comes from inner-will and your comportment in the class room. Also the health risks of wearing ridiculous heels is not good.

I hope you gain an inner zen and just go with what you got. This is like stuffing your crotch with a sausage.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

I hope you did not yet. The facts section of the website which sells the wallet I recommended elaborates on the process by which their products are made.

The price for any one of those leather products pays for itself eventually, provided you are looking to buy a life long lasting product, rather then a temporary fashion piece.

TheExodu5

Banned
I hope you did not yet. The facts section of the website which sells the wallet I recommended elaborates on the process by which their products are made.

The price for any one of those leather products pays for itself eventually, provided you are looking to buy a life long lasting product, rather then a temporary fashion piece.

Yeah I edited my first post and took your advice. They seem like really cool guys and the product seems great. The initial picture just wasn't very flattering, but the video and FAQ sold me.

I couldn't decide in between Chestnut and Dark Coffee Brown. I kind of wanted to go Chestnut so it would match better with my eventual Indy 403 purchase, but got the Dark Coffee since it should better match my existing leather apparel.

Does anyone have experience with Common Projects sneakers. Specifically how do they fit,are they long lasting. Plus are they worth the prices charged for them in your opinion?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Looking for a pea coat

BEN SHERMAN FUNNEL NECK MELTON COAT

w3TzPl.jpg

DC UNRESTRICTED PEACOAT
ggz3Jl.jpg

I'm leaning towards the DC one and the model isn't that bad looking either.

Does anyone have experience with Common Projects sneakers. Specifically how do they fit,are they long lasting. Plus are they worth the prices charged for them in your opinion?

They are quite nice, Ive owned the tournament mids (strap and no strap) and silver bball highs. Pretty damn durable, the tournament mids have survived a trip into the lake with my dog and various other indignities. Might depend on the model. If these are you first expensive sneaker you will defeinitely feel the difference vs say converse or Adidas.

Are they worth it? Eh, hard to say, retail has been creeping up there the last few years. If you aren't jonesing hard for a pair just wait for a seasonal sale to hit.

They all fit true to size for me so far.

Dariee

Hope that zipper is not attached to the jacket, cause it's ugly.

Plus, DC one has bigger buttons, so that's a 'go' in the first place. Looking good.

Laughlin

So, just got some diamond (cubic zirconia) stud earrings.

Thoughts on earrings on men? I dig 'em. Kinda wanna go bigger when I can.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hope that zipper is not attached to the jacket, cause it's ugly.

Plus, DC one has bigger buttons, so that's a 'go' in the first place. Looking good.

just noticed that. i don't think it is. I am liking the DC one better.

edit: yes the zipper is part of the coat and it is on both pockets.

They are quite nice, Ive owned the tournament mids (strap and no strap) and silver bball highs. Pretty damn durable, the tournament mids have survived a trip into the lake with my dog and various other indignities. Might depend on the model. If these are you first expensive sneaker you will defeinitely feel the difference vs say converse or Adidas.

Are they worth it? Eh, hard to say, retail has been creeping up there the last few years. If you aren't jonesing hard for a pair just wait for a seasonal sale to hit.

They all fit true to size for me so far.

Thanks for the info. Plus whats a good retailer and when do seasonal sales usually happen. I'm pretty new to caring about fashion so I need help.

Laughlin

Just curious, but how old are you / what does your wardrobe consist of?

I'm 20. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my style. I'm sort of in the PacSun crowd (which I'm guessing probably doesn't jive with a lot of the people here). Nothing too hipster or punk though. My main wardrobe consists of high top shoes, slim jeans, either v-neck or t-shirt, maybe some type of jacket, sweatshirt, stocking cap, etc.

So the earrings kind of fit. They definitely depend on your style of clothing though.

bob page

I'm 20. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my style. I'm sort of in the PacSun crowd (which I'm guessing probably doesn't jive with a lot of the people here). Nothing too hipster or punk though. My main wardrobe consists of high top shoes, slim jeans, either v-neck or t-shirt, maybe some type of jacket, sweatshirt, stocking cap, etc.

So the earrings kind of fit. They definitely depend on your style of clothing though.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like you'd be going overboard with your current style, then. When some of my old friends got studs, it was laughable because you could tell how hard they were trying.

Thanks for the info. Plus whats a good retailer and when do seasonal sales usually happen. I'm pretty new to caring about fashion so I need help.
Probably one of the more aggressive sites with sales is thecorner.com. They have a good selection of shit on their sale section right now (no Common projects), depending your size/what you want.

Laughlin

Yeah, it doesn't seem like you'd be going overboard with your current style, then. When some of my old friends got studs, it was laughable because you could tell how hard they were trying.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe it's just because I've gotten them, but I've seen a lot more people with them lately, and some just can't really pull them off. My friend who I got them done with might be one of these people, but I don't have the heart to tell him lol.

Not sure what you mean by affordable, but online is the best bet IME, just get a $400ish fund set aside so you can return/purchase until you get the right shit. Gilt, yoox, etc often have some nicely slim items for good prices.

Retail... H&M isn't bad at all for the price, and they are put together decently. Stuff at the Macy's around that price tend to be cut like shit.

bob page

Not sure what you mean by affordable, but online is the best bet IME, just get a $400ish fund set aside so you can return/purchase until you get the right shit. Gilt, yoox, etc often have some nicely slim items for good prices.

Retail... H&M isn't bad at all for the price, and they are put together decently. Stuff at the Macy's around that price tend to be cut like shit.

Look out for the slacks at H&M- they're pretty bad. They attract lint like crazy and fade pretty easily.

Yeah, I've heard bad things about H&M chinos and such, but suits seem to be fairly well received. Odd trousers/pants are easy to find in slim fittings, blazers a bit less so, but full-on suits are pretty hard to source in trim cuts at a low price.

Opening a can of worms here...

ELEVATOR SHOES

I just ordered a pair of these height-increasing shoes from Don's Footwear, a discreet 3-inch increase apparently.

ibyrG3XShvl27R.jpg

These set me back about $150 and take a couple weeks for delivery, so I'm feverish with anticipation.

Anyone else brave enough to admit owning a pair of height-increasing shoes? Do they work as well as they seem?
I think students will just make fun of you for wearing elevator shoes

BumRush

Can Gaf recommend me a place to get a suit?

I get compliments in slim fit/ modern fits usually. I just need something affordable
From talking to a few friends over the last day yoox.com seems to be a great site, and cheap. I guess you have to be okay with not needing the suit immediately though.

kaskade

I'm thinking about going to a salon to get my hair did. I've been going to a barber but I feel like it never comes out right. It's not really bad, I just feel like it takes a week before it looks proper. I'm kind of going for the ryan gosling style cut. I'll probably let it grow for a week or two more then make an appointment before my vacation.

From talking to a few friends over the last day yoox.com seems to be a great site, and cheap. I guess you have to be okay with not needing the suit immediately though.
yeah, they have some very under the radar and high quality shit: raffaele caruso, boglioli, too many to list. Plus you have a return window of 20 days, and can refund back into a store credit and not pay for return shipping.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'm kind of going for the ryan gosling style cut. \

Good choice.

The suit is temporary for now so I might go with the H M option. I only need it for 2 occasions this year but eventually I will look into a higher quality alternative.

Also, what does GAF think of these?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91a0G4GETCL._SL1500_.jpg

They are right in my price range for shoes, and I like the simple look.

Since this post I have yet to find a store with the beeswax in my size (9).

This is not my week.

Screw those other shoes, they're uncomfortable as hell and aren't meant to be worn without socks. I'll save them for my camping/dirty shoes.

Instead, I found these bad boys on sale and rock them on dressy-casual occasions:

0764027_1_700x700.jpg

Fit like a freakin' glove. There's a reason why Sperries cost so much... simply the best.

I'm thinking about going to a salon to get my hair did. I've been going to a barber but I feel like it never comes out right. It's not really bad, I just feel like it takes a week before it looks proper. I'm kind of going for the ryan gosling style cut. I'll probably let it grow for a week or two more then make an appointment before my vacation.

Yeah if it takes a few weeks to look right thats a waste of time, a good hair style/cut will only last 6-8 weeks before its grown out.

Ive taken my female friends approach in that Hair is the one place she pays good money
(£50+) because its pretty damn important to how you look. I dont pay that much as a guy but £20 a cut is my kind of ball park.
If they dont wash your hair before they cut it thats allways a bad sign to me aswell.
Good idea to have them sit down with you before hand and run through what you are looking for and what can be achived with the hair type you have (think/thin hair etc)

If you are having a drastic change I would really suggest looking up a well reviewed place and paying good money just to se ehw omuch of a diffrence it can make!

Nephix

So, I'm looking to buy a leather jacket and I've pretty much found 2 different jackets to choose from; both of which fit me perfectly.

Only problem is that the first jacket ( Jofama ) is really thick, weighs a lot and would probably hold up for a good couple of years qualitywise; while the other jacket ( Antony Morato ) is thin and I don't really know what to make of it since it's an unknown brand to me. I don't have any pictures, but I'd say the Jofama-jacket is very traditional, while the AM-jacket is a little more fashionable.

It would be really helpful if anyone could share what their experiences are with the Antony Morato brand; especially their jackets.

kaskade

Yeah if it takes a few weeks to look right thats a waste of time, a good hair style/cut will only last 6-8 weeks before its grown out.

Ive taken my female friends approach in that Hair is the one place she pays good money
(£50+) because its pretty damn important to how you look. I dont pay that much as a guy but £20 a cut is my kind of ball park.
If they dont wash your hair before they cut it thats allways a bad sign to me aswell.
Good idea to have them sit down with you before hand and run through what you are looking for and what can be achived with the hair type you have (think/thin hair etc)

If you are having a drastic change I would really suggest looking up a well reviewed place and paying good money just to se ehw omuch of a diffrence it can make!

It seems like the average salon male cut in America is around 30 bucks which is inline with your prices. My hair right now isn't such a different cut from the Ryan Gosling style. Getting your hair washed is almost worth it by itself.

Digging this double-lapel blazer kind of hard, but I hate buying blazers without trying them on.
JV collection fits pretty true to size; no monkey arm lengths like Dior/Rick or emaciated body cuts. Mainline stuff (Italy made, anyway) is pretty well made overall. Just watch out for the lower lines being mixed up with mainline; which is pretty easy to do, as they all look pretty similar and in the JV store they all chill on the racks together.

nick nacc

Banned
i know people have been bashing the korean cheap clothing from ebay...........

BUT I CAN'T STOP THINKING BOUT THIS JACKET

3512-G.jpg

i know some people got it, how was it? i am 5'6 135 (i know) i am assuming i should get the medium (uk8 eu36 us6) but i keep hearing weird things about their sizing. Is there a site to get this with faster shipping?

last but not least what does it look like irl?

nick nacc

Banned
you can search a few pages back, but someone posted a picture of different people and their "korean jackets" and they all fit like absolute shit.

i saw it. most those guys had zero muscle. im not convinced this jacket will be a bad purchase... there seemed to be a few gafers who bought it, i just need a little confirmation, even though its only 20 bones I am suppperrrrr poor lol

CFMOORE!

i saw it. most those guys had zero muscle. im not convinced this jacket will be a bad purchase... there seemed to be a few gafers who bought it, i just need a little confirmation, even though its only 20 bones I am suppperrrrr poor lol

keep in mind that shit like this is cinched in the back to create that slimming/toned look. that is the larger problem with anything being shown where they clip the shit out of excess material to make it conform to a model or mannequin.

You think a tiny Korean sized jacket will look good on someone with a lot of muscle?

Really, price aside its the definition of ugly and over designed.

nick nacc

Banned
i.am.in.denial. i just want someone to say:

"yeah i bought it here is a pic of me with it on! Get the medium i am the same size as you bro"

ignore me.

.....but if there is something better and similar definitely enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom