• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Is anyone's familiar with Macy's INC brand? I'm curious about their sizing and Macy's website is garbage. I'm 6'2" and a L sometimes and some other times XL...quite annoying.

What's the consensus on vests for casual/semi-casual occasions?

Or the consensus on vests in general?

My girlfriend LOVES them but I'm still a little apprehensive, but if I can pull it off and it's deemed "okay" by you gentlemen I'm all for it.

h3ro

A well fitted vest with a good shirt and dark jeans looks fantastic IMO. It's a great alternative to pulling out a suit jacket. Gives the appearance of being more formal while giving you more freedom and options with different patterns with the shirt/vest combo.

I'm a fan. Two thumbs up.

You value what we think over what your girlfriend does? Gosh, I'm honored.
Haha, something about a knowledgeable male perspective on male clothing is more comforting to me.

A well fitted vest with a good shirt and dark jeans looks fantastic IMO. It's a great alternative to pulling out a suit jacket. Gives the appearance of being more formal while giving you more freedom and options with different patterns with the shirt/vest combo.

I'm a fan. Two thumbs up.
I think I'll head to Nordstrom this weekend to try it out. Thanks for the reply.

nick nacc

Banned
Lol I was using a buddies of mine to try to figure out the jacket thing before ordering it.my account FINALLY got activated. It took like 2 months!

Doytch

Yeah, I really like busting out a waistcoat every now and again, for the exact reason Boken said. Looks damn good. Just stay away from the ones with ugly super-shiny backs.

Aegus

What do you guys think of this jacket for going out in.

5232436441548_Navy_l5.jpg

Need something light instead of my usual smothering duffle coat

soultron

Banned
Goddamn the soles of those boots are obnoxious. It pulls my eye away from the rest of the ensemble and is overpowering. Like when a girl wears a gorgeous black dress but pairs it with a pair of neon pink pumps. I just don't get or appreciate obnoxious footwear choices like that. It's a shame too because the boots look nice otherwise.

The coat looks pretty nice, however. What's the price range on an item like that? $150-200?

Lamel

Banned
I am looking for some good dress shirts, I'm a pretty slim yet muscular guy and was wondering would the regular slim fit dress shirts you find at macy's be fine?

My dimensions: 5'10" ~150 lbs.

Furthermore I may need to wear one of these as clubbing attire in NYC, would they work fine with jeans?

Here are some examples of what I am talking about

http://www.calvinklein.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3142666

Edit: also, opinion on skinny ties?

I'm an inch shorter and about 8 pounds heavier (still slim I swurr), and CK Collection in small/15 fits me pretty nicely. I would assume one of the lower Macy's CK lines would have a similarly slim fit. For clubbing and such, a darker shirt would probably be best, depending on the place, of course. Don't know how these would go with jeans, I only do dress shirts + trousers.

Re ties; unless your lapels are super tiny don't go smaller than 2.75- 3" wide. If you drop one of those 1" wide ties under a normal blazer jacket it will look dumb.

Lamel

Banned
going clubbing? ed hardy t-shirt and rosary beads, yeaaa buddy.

situation-omg.gif

I'm an inch shorter and about 8 pounds heavier (still slim I swurr), and CK Collection in small/15 fits me pretty nicely. I would assume one of the lower Macy's CK lines would have a similarly slim fit. For clubbing and such, a darker shirt would probably be best, depending on the place, of course. Don't know how these would go with jeans, I only do dress shirts + trousers.

Re ties; unless your lapels are super tiny don't go smaller than 2.75- 3" wide. If you drop one of those 1" wide ties under a normal blazer jacket it will look dumb.

Yeah I checked some at macy's. DKNY and CK fit me best, 16/32-33. And they look pretty damn good I would say, even with jeans.

Aroo

Neo Member
What do you guys think of Tumi bags? Been eyeing one for my notebook and work papers and taking it to school on Thursdays (grad school.) Figure it's a good way to treat myself to an early birthday gift.

pTUMI1-9961510v400.jpg
pTUMI1-9961511v400.jpg

Looking at the black one. I fantasized about having both the Earl Grey and the Black one depending on what I'm wearing for work that day. Damn, power ball didn't draw my numbers. I saw these bags in person and they're quite gorgeous inside and out.

Here's the link.
http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11449484&prodFindSrc=paramNav

Aegus

Goddamn the soles of those boots are obnoxious. It pulls my eye away from the rest of the ensemble and is overpowering. Like when a girl wears a gorgeous black dress but pairs it with a pair of neon pink pumps. I just don't get or appreciate obnoxious footwear choices like that. It's a shame too because the boots look nice otherwise.

The coat looks pretty nice, however. What's the price range on an item like that? $150-200?

£110 so $173.

And yeah the shoes are hideous. Which reminds me that I need new shoes.

Just discovered Volta shoes. Very awesome. I bought these the other day from freudiankicks.com:

madras_black-copia.jpg

They're part of their seasonal collection, so they were 70 EU off. Sweet dealz.

They have a bunch of them at The Corner at pretty steep discounts.

Thanks, dude. Do they ship internationally? I'm in Australia, so shoes like Volta are practically non-existent in the retail realm.

Ahhhhh, these guys are owned by Yoox, it would seem. I've bought some shoes from there before; awesome service.

EDIT: Gah. If you select shipping to Australia, the prices jumps from 60USD to 80EU. Sneakysneaky. Still not bad, though.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Could you guys recommend any nice looking shorts? Not swimming shorts, but just summertime relaxing shorts. I'm 6'1 and so far have never been able to find a pair of shorts that look decent on me. They're always too long, too short, or too poofy. All my old pairs of shorts have been ruined at work, so I'm starting fresh here, and need something to wear for our super hot summer.

Great find. Love the minimalist look. Might look into a pair. c:

Doitbro. Freudiankicks have a couple, including some hi-tops (also very cool) at ridiculous prices. 65EU shipped from Oslo. Yoox also have some.

Staying on shoes:

Folk . Delicious.

img_7382.jpg

I have a disease and I fucking love it.

Shoes > everything else in your closet in terms of importance.

No doubt. Though, for me, I think it's more:

1. Buying shoes is a lot more enjoyable.
2. I appreciate the aesthetics of a nice shoe.

Sure, a well-fitted pair of jeans or a well-cut t-shirt are as important, but they're just jeans and t-shirts. There's no panache; no statement.

Alucrid

Banned
Could you guys recommend any nice looking shorts? Not swimming shorts, but just summertime relaxing shorts. I'm 6'1 and so far have never been able to find a pair of shorts that look decent on me. They're always too long, too short, or too poofy. All my old pairs of shorts have been ruined at work, so I'm starting fresh here, and need something to wear for our super hot summer.

i liek these.

but i'd never not wear jeans lol

jean heathens up in herr

guidop

re: wallet talk that happened a few pages back. Bought an acne pouch wallet today and couldn't be happier super small and a nice low profile. link

Doytch

Speaking of shoes, got those FxDB unlaced cognac brogues from Clad last week. Way more versatile than I thought, at least with my wardrobe. Any blue, any grey, they slay. I'm gonna partially credit them with getting me out of the GF's doghouse, even.

KodoLion

Neo Member
i.am.in.denial. i just want someone to say:

"yeah i bought it here is a pic of me with it on! Get the medium i am the same size as you bro"

ignore me.

.....but if there is something better and similar definitely enlighten me.

I've purchased a number of Korean shirts. I've found that you have to order 2 sizes up, but they fit fine. As for jackets, I've purchased 2, and one was absolute garbage. The other, was alright, but didn't really fit as well as I had hoped.

Mangotron

Does anyone have any favorites for button-down shirts? I'm looking for cheap, slim, and able to be worn untucked. Probably in more spring-y colors too if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom