• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just got a pair of these ridiculously comfortable shoes that look great with everything:

And they were a great price, too. Love the seams on the outside look right now.

Could you guys recommend any nice looking shorts? Not swimming shorts, but just summertime relaxing shorts. I'm 6'1 and so far have never been able to find a pair of shorts that look decent on me. They're always too long, too short, or too poofy. All my old pairs of shorts have been ruined at work, so I'm starting fresh here, and need something to wear for our super hot summer.

I have been wondering this too. I pretty much just have cargo shorts which probably make most of the regulars in this thread cringe.

Enron

Banned
Just got a pair of these ridiculously comfortable shoes that look great with everything:

And they were a great price, too. Love the seams on the outside look right now.

words cannot express my hate for driving moccassins. You know how hard it is to find/get an actual PROPER pair of mocs now because of the popularity of these goddamned things? Very tough.

exarkun

Can Gaf recommend me a place to get a suit?

I get compliments in slim fit/ modern fits usually. I just need something affordable

I went to off fifth (saks fifths outlet store) for mine. Athletic cut, Hugo Boss, great color, only thing is I had to tailor it myself. Came out to 450, with tailoring almost 510.

I also had a grrrreat time at nordstrom rack, but their selection isn't as nice to be quite honest but tailoring is included.

If you want an athletic/custom cut, why not try Macy's Alfani line? I know it may not appeal to suit snobs, but for under 400 you get a great looking suit of pretty good quality. Kenneth Cole also makes some nice slimmer suits at Macy's.

You can alllways try brooks brothers when they have a sale, and then just tailor it. Or Jos A Banks when they have the crazy buy a suit and get half off. My boss (who is a well dressed guy) has been buying suits from these last two for a loooong time.

My personal rec is to do Macy's, if you don't like it, try off fifth and then Jos/Brooks Bros sale rack. Its all about tailoring man, you can buy a 200 dollar suit and make it look like 750 with a good tailor.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I have a light tan Kenneth Cole slim fitting suit, and it makes me feel like a million bucks when I have it on. Sometimes I wear the trousers for no reason.

words cannot express my hate for driving moccassins. You know how hard it is to find/get an actual PROPER pair of mocs now because of the popularity of these goddamned things? Very tough.

I wish I could say I feel your pain, but wearing them is like walking around the office with bunny slippers on. So fucking comfortable, and just a hint of "up yours, fucker" to my boss that always comments on my 1-day stubble.

Enron

Banned
I would not buy a suit from BR, or any other clothing store that does not specialize in them. For 450 bucks I'd rather go the dept. store or Jos A Bank route.

careful

Yeah, I'd probably wait for a 40% off sale, but the fit, style and fabric all seem nice enough..
@bob: yeah, their slim/tailored fit blazers fit me pretty good.

Goddamn, the Air Jordan I banned edition shoes are going for 700-900 online. Was thinking about going for it next paycheck, but I thought, fuck, if Im in that price range, I might as well buy Louis Vuittons. I checked out their online catalogue and some of what they got in their selection, in terms of sneakers, looks hooot. so expensive though, one super hot pair is going for 1200 dollars.
edit: their Nazi connection is a bit unsettling too, but fuck, the shoes look well designed and stylish, but with a dash of class. also, the name brand in itself is a statement.
i see that Burberry also offers sneakers, for a bit less too.

Alucrid

Banned
Goddamn, the Air Jordan I banned edition shoes are going for 700-900 online. Was thinking about going for it next paycheck, but I thought, fuck, if Im in that price range, I might as well buy Louis Vuittons. I checked out their online catalogue and some of what they got in their selection, in terms of sneakers, looks hooot. so expensive though, one super hot pair is going for 1200 dollars.
edit: their Nazi connection is a bit unsettling too, but fuck, the shoes look well designed and stylish, but with a dash of class. also, the name brand in itself is a statement.
Are they hot because you want to douse them with gasoline and light them on fire?

careful

That's some serious dough to drop on shoes.. Is it a collector's thing? Like you wouldn't wear it and then resell it in a few years?
Cause you'd have to be ballin outta control to walk around with thousand dollar shoes. lol

Alucrid

Banned
Which can be tailored to not be. Then you've got a decent suit that isn't made carelessly of shoddy materials, unlike a BR suit.
Well there's a difference between getting it tailored to fit any getting it tailored of fit like a slim suit. The latter is an undertaking I don't think jobanks will care for. The last time I was in there they didn't have 'slim' suits either. That said I don't think banana republic is the answer either.

i see that Burberry also offers sneakers, for a bit less too.
Eh, LV isn't much of a draw for sneakers IMO. $800- $1200 is Louboutin or high end Lanvin/pierre hardy level, which are a bit more ballin in aesthetic to me.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So, what do you guys think about tie clips for narrow ties that look like this:

I only found them at THIS site, and it looks like these kind of clips are just not available in Germany :/

Doytch

Yeah, I have small tie clips like that [from the Tie Bar, also]. I don't do regular size ties because I think they look weird on me [37/29] and I don't want a clip dwarfing my tie.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah, I have small tie clips like that [from the Tie Bar, also]. I don't do regular size ties because I think they look weird on me [37/29] and I don't want a clip dwarfing my tie.
I was thinking about ordering some from there - how is the build quality? Do they stay in place?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I got a stack of hand-made hankies for Christmas, and they're wonderful. All sorts of colors. Problem is, I'm not a hankie guy. Or a thing-in-my-pocket guy.

Until today. I have a sinus infection and had to go to class, but was short on kleenex. BAM, in the front shirt pocket, just the teeniest sliver showing. Worked and felt classy while doing it.

careful

He does not fill that suit well at all. It blows my mind that, when shooting advertisements, outlets often seem to use suits that aren't correctly tailored to the models sizing.

For my own educational purposes, could you point out specifically how the suit doesn't fit the model?

What's the consensus on vests for casual/semi-casual occasions?

Or the consensus on vests in general?

My girlfriend LOVES them but I'm still a little apprehensive, but if I can pull it off and it's deemed "okay" by you gentlemen I'm all for it.

Buddy unless your girlfriend has zero fashion sense then her approval alone will be fine (goes for any reasonably fashionable girl)

I have been wondering this too. I pretty much just have cargo shorts which probably make most of the regulars in this thread cringe.

Cargos are fine

TheExodu5

Banned
So yeah...those leather Aldo boots I bought? One of them is fading a lot. Is it possibly because I applied te leather protector incorrectly? Or more likely because the quality of these boots is shit?

bob page

So yeah...those leather Aldo boots I bought? One of them is fading a lot. Is it possibly because I applied te leather protector incorrectly? Or more likely because the quality of these boots is shit?

The quality is shit and 90% of their "leather" stuff is like that. You're probably better off tossing them than investing in more sprays or polishes.

RS4-

The J Shoes Chainsaws I got in 10.5 are a tight fit for a 12, I wish they were an 11/11.5 but they're fine.

Any thoughts on any particular leather protectors, sprays, etc I should use?

Buy some leather conditioner and have at it. It'll restore the luster of the leather but you'll have to do it a lot more than you might think, because:
The quality is shit and 90% of their "leather" stuff is like that. You're probably better off tossing them than investing in more sprays or polishes.

Yeah this is kinda true, unfortunately, since I have a fantastic looking pair of shoes from them that just aren't going to last.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but is there any way on JackThreads to just browse their selection of Tall clothes?

Also, do you guys know of any shops that cater to lanky gentlemen like myself? Preferably reasonably priced.

bob page

The J Shoes Chainsaws I got in 10.5 are a tight fit for a 12, I wish they were an 11/11.5 but they're fine.

Any thoughts on any particular leather protectors, sprays, etc I should use?

I've been wearing mine for a few months with nothing else applied- still look great. If anything, I'll probably only spray some waterproofing on them. If they get really scuffed, you could probably try mink oil to fix it since they're dark brown.

TheExodu5

Banned
Buy some leather conditioner and have at it. It'll restore the luster of the leather but you'll have to do it a lot more than you might think, because:

Yeah this is kinda true, unfortunately, since I have a fantastic looking pair of shoes from them that just aren't going to last.

Any recommended products? Honestly, I'm not overly worried about these shoes, I'm simply worried that a similar fate might befall the eventual Alden 403's I'll be getting. It's really weird though...I applied the leather protector equally to both shoes. One of them looks fine, and the other one is all crackly and the die is wearing off.

Doytch

I was thinking about ordering some from there - how is the build quality? Do they stay in place?
They're great functionality-wise and I've never had an issue with them; but though I don't really care about this, they're obviously not sterling/gold/bling for $20 or however much they are. I recommend them.

Louis Vuitton has some incredible looking mens clothing, but they refuse to sell it online and only select LV outlets even sell ready-to-wear. (I know you can risk buying LV on ebay, but it's simply not worth it, IMO) Versace and Hermes, you gotta go straight to the apple orchard for their items, and even then, their prices are out of control. (which makes sense, since they're ranked as THE most valuable luxury brand)
I really, really like what I'm seeing from Gucci's online catalog. expensive, not as ballin as LV, Prada , Versace, etc but its virtue is that's it's easily obtained, unlike clothes from the absolute top dogs in luxury fashion.

7580364.jpg

7580359.jpg

Almost certain to order this^^

Alucrid

Banned
Louis Vuitton has some incredible looking mens clothing, but they refuse to sell it online and only select LV outlets even sell ready-to-wear. (I know you can risk buying LV on ebay, but it's simply not worth it, IMO) Versace and Hermes, you gotta go straight to the apple orchard for their items, and even then, their prices are out of control. (which makes sense, since they're ranked as THE most valuable luxury brand)
I really, really like what I'm seeing from Gucci's online catalog. expensive, not as ballin as LV, Prada , Versace, etc but its virtue is that's it's easily obtained, unlike clothes from the absolute top dogs in luxury fashion.

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7580364/640/7580364.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7580359/640/7580359.jpg[IMG]

Almost certain to order this^^[/QUOTE]Well yeah, of course you have to go to their store to get it. That way when people see you walking around with a hermes shopping bag they know that you mean business. We can't have filthy Internet peasants having easy access to our clothing.

disco

Zoomg just bought some awesome navy Margiela trainers. 50% and the last pair - in my size!

426989_10151288443965858_591385857_23156074_500396372_n.jpg

So pleased. They're so Italian-tourist-puffa-jacket-meets-astronaut-spaceman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom