• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aroo

Neo Member
LOL I'm actually really happy to hear you say that. At least it confirms what my newly developed style sense was telling me. I bought them for $90 on sale at Macy's. I figure I'd be able to get $30 for them on Craigslist if I was lucky. Then I remembered that AE had a $35 discount if you donated shoes, so I thought this was the best time to get rid of shoes I didn't like, and get a pair I really liked.

I don't think they're awful to be quite frank. I own a pair and they're very confortable. Then again, what was the inside of them like? Ones I bought had the lamb leather inside with the holes to breath. I think they're great for an every day work shoe (they're part of my work shoe rotation.) They're not spectacular, but to claim they're awful when every other black shoe looks similar (save for minute details up close) is just absurd. (Unless you hate all black loafers.) They've hold up very well to every day use and practically go with everything.

EDIT:

Still having trouble finding which bag I want to invest in.
Salvatore-Ferragamo-Double-Gusset-Leather-Briefcase.jpg

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/salvato...iefcase/3006533?origin=category&resultback=66
Guy at Nordstrom brought this one into consideration. It's 1800 USD but he claims it's backed by Nordstroms warranty. Anything happens to it, bring it back to exchange it or trade it towards a modern one. I'm wondering if that's a good reason to blow 1,800 bucks on a bag. It's very nice, just wish I had more guidance.

pTUMI1-11787892_alternate4_v400.jpg

www.tumi.com
Then there is this one for 600. Love the color (got to play with it at the Tumi boutique in the same mall, it's gorgeous. Just need new shoes to match it.

scaled.php

Then there is this one from www.saddlebackleather.com.

Liking it as well, it's on sale for 411 USD (was 495 before.)

I'm wonder if purchasing Salvatore Ferragamo @ Nordstrom is a good investment considering the way they back their products. Other places will do this for you if you're the type to drop 10 grand like it's nothing.

I need a bag bad (for work + notebook + grad school) and I can't be using this cheap back pack anymore. I bought it cheap and quick because my briefcase broke and I was also taking a trip to New York. It's been months now and I can't use that excuse anymore. I'm a professional >.<

bob page

I don't think they're awful to be quite frank. I own a pair and they're very confortable. Then again, what was the inside of them like? Ones I bought had the lamb leather inside with the holes to breath. I think they're great for an every day work shoe (they're part of my work shoe rotation.) They're not spectacular, but to claim they're awful when every other black shoe looks similar (save for minute details up close) is just absurd. (Unless you hate all black loafers.) They've hold up very well to every day use and practically go with everything.

EDIT:

Still having trouble finding which bag I want
Guy at Nordstrom brought this one into consideration. It's 1800 USD but he claims it's backed by Nordstroms warranty. Anything happens to it, bring it back to exchange it or trade it towards a modern one. I'm wondering if that's a good reason to blow 1,800 bucks on a bag. It's very nice, just wish I had more guidance.

Then there is this one for 600. Love the color (got to play with it at the Tumi boutique in the same mall, it's gorgeous. Just need new shoes to match it.

Then there is this one from www.saddlebackleather.com.

Liking it as well, it's on sale for 411 USD (was 495 before.)

I'm wonder if purchasing Salvatore Ferragamo @ Nordstrom is a good investment considering the way they back their products. Other places will do this for you if you're the type to drop 10 grand like it's nothing.

I need a bag bad (for work + notebook + grad school) and I can't be using this cheap back pack anymore. I bought it cheap and quick because my briefcase broke and I was also taking a trip to New York. It's been months now and I can't use that excuse anymore. I'm a professional >.<

The black saddleback is the best, the rest are overpriced.

thinking this for my summer look.

59086725_l.jpg

43016804_l.jpg
hey brah wanna go bong some beers at the frathouse?

Alucrid

Banned
You'd be surprised, haha. The majority of frat boys I knew were sweatpant/wife beater wearing tools.

Nah. You need to go out and buy some ripped jeans and two polos of different colors. Put on one polo, then put on the other. Pop both da collars then roll up the sleeves so that the color of the first polo shows and then you're good to go brah.

careful

Been needing to seriously upgrade my footwear, so went on a bit of a splurge..

Clarks desert boots for casual wear.
The only thing with these is I find it looks a bit funny wearing them with normal "straight" legged pants/jeans because they'll swallow the boots. I gotta rock them with tapered/slim pants for them to look their best.

IMG_1707b.jpg

Wingtips for casual/dressy occasions.
These are from Aldo's "premium" brand of men's dress shoes: Mr. B. Aldo has been pretty hit and miss for me. Their sneakers have been pretty good, but their dress shoes and boots feel a bit cheap. These Mr. B seem like they're much better made than the regular Aldo dress shoes. You can feel the quality difference, but remains to be seen how they'll hold up..
I just love the look though. These are stunners. The details of the broguing.. The contrast between the dark details and the lighter cognac brown.. They really pop.

IMG_1704.jpg

Classic Allen Edmonds oxford captoe. Got these from Ebay for a decent price. Have some weddings coming up this summer and needed to upgrade from my ugly beat up Aldo dress shoes.

IMG_1700.jpg

bjscott05

Is there any place to get Ray Bans discounted/cheaper than retail. I've seen a few posted but I never know if the sites are legit or not.

Any tips for finding legit ones?

Yeah, the first thing you can do is familiarize yourself with the specific model. Go to the Ray Ban official website and look at them and compare that with product shots of the store you're looking at. Pay particular attention to the "Made in Italy" and the G-15 sticker (if there is one) as it should be gold and not yellow, and the logo is centered. Also, look for any Luxottica signs because they do own the company. If you have a good idea, take a look at the details like the facings, the colours of the wire, the bridge on the nose.

Here's an example of one: Comparison between fake and real. The bottom is from the official Ray Ban website and the top is from seller on eBay.

When all else fails, look at the customer reviews.

ACE 1991

Hey guys, any recommendations on the type of flat brimmed baseball hat to get for someone with large ears? I also have fairly poofy hair, so it probably makes sense to wear it a little higher on my head anyways.

fisheyes

I don't really comment on the majority of the fashion in this thread. I consider myself reasonably well dressed, but I'm sure you'd all tear me a new one and tell me I need something ridiculous as part of my outfit, like some rolled-up 'Everything's coming up Milhouse!' flood pants or some horrible italian leather satchel-manbag-thing. But more power to you all if you like it, I'm not going to comment on not liking it.

But something in that last big set of clothes stood out to me as being so offensively awful that I can't help commenting on it:
Please tell me the middle guy's shoes are not considered men's fashion now. I'm reasonably certain my girlfriend has those exact shoes. That can't be considered fashionable for men now, can it? I'm only 22, I can't be that out of touch, can I?

pappe

I am sick and tired of checked shirts, but there is nothing else in the stores apart from them and plain shirts.

I am from India btw.

i took a dive and outsourced a MTM suit from asia. Will have pictures for you when it comes in 4 weeks. Will be suit a tad bit more expensive than my OTR H&M linen suit that fits pretty well.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't really comment on the majority of the fashion in this thread. I consider myself reasonably well dressed, but I'm sure you'd all tear me a new one and tell me I need something ridiculous as part of my outfit, like some rolled-up 'Everything's coming up Milhouse!' flood pants or some horrible italian leather satchel-manbag-thing. But more power to you all if you like it, I'm not going to comment on not liking it.

But something in that last big set of clothes stood out to me as being so offensively awful that I can't help commenting on it:

Please tell me the middle guy's shoes are not considered men's fashion now. I'm reasonably certain my girlfriend has those exact shoes. That can't be considered fashionable for men now, can it? I'm only 22, I can't be that out of touch, can I?

yo brah jesus was the originator of steez

Nice backhand insult though.

Aside from their bizarre shape, they also look very poorly made. And minute up close details? Whu? Do you only look at shoes from a distance of 20 feet or more? I can't imagine not being able to spot the obvious difference between the Clarks posted and, say, these Allen Edmonds in a business meeting:

412D6s9lLcL._SS424_.jpg

Does this look like the same shoe?
jcHiX.jpg
C58JQ.jpg

To answer your other q, Ferragamo is nice stuff, but eh, $1800 if you aren't sure is something I don't think you should do. Maybe check Glaser Design? They have very, extremely nice stuff at about half that. Unfortunately they are in SanFran but they do offer web orders.

leather satchels are something you consider ridiculous? Are you stuck in 1999?

And if you think we are all about rolled up pants and gladiator sandals I don't think you've been reading this thread much.

Alucrid

Banned
Aside from their bizarre shape, they also look very poorly made. And minute up close details? Whu? Do you only look at shoes from a distance of 20 feet or more? I can't imagine not being able to spot the obvious difference between the Clarks posted and, say, these Allen Edmonds in a business meeting:

412D6s9lLcL._SS424_.jpg

Does this look like the same shoe?
jcHiX.jpg
C58JQ.jpg

To answer your other q, Ferragamo is nice stuff, but eh, $1800 if you aren't sure is something I don't think you should do. Maybe check Glaser Design? They have very, extremely nice stuff at about half that. Unfortunately they are in SanFran but they do offer web orders.

leather satchels are something you consider ridiculous? Are you stuck in 1999?

And if you think we are all about rolled up pants and gladiator sandals I don't think you've been reading this thread much.
Real Men don't need bags we carry all we need in our cargo shorts

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I'm not a sandals guy, and those don't work AT ALL in the context of that guy's outfit, but they can be pulled off. Pair shoes like that with a Damir Doma aesthetic and it looks cool.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Dear ManFasion GAF,

Any recommendations for a backpack for university use? Something simplistic, durable, and not too mainstream such as "North Face", and etc.

Thanks!

Lirlond

Dear ManFasion GAF,

Any recommendations for a backpack for university use? Something simplistic, durable, and not too mainstream such as "North Face", and etc.

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with Jansport, simple, durable, they don't look the best, but they aren't horrid either.

moop1167

Nah. You need to go out and buy some ripped jeans and two polos of different colors. Put on one polo, then put on the other. Pop both da collars then roll up the sleeves so that the color of the first polo shows and then you're good to go brah.

I was in a frat and not a single person dressed like this.

Dear ManFasion GAF,

Thanks!
If you want something a little off the path try svpply.com, search for 'backpack', and dial down the price points you're comfortable with.

Silver_key

Neo Member
Been needing to seriously upgrade my footwear, so went on a bit of a splurge..

Speaking of footwear, does anyone have any suggestions for finding shoes in US 13.5 ? I'm almost afraid to look again. Last time I tried it was all basketball shoes, Birkenstocks, and aqua socks.

Fritz

6786182580_03e676934b_z.jpg

This is my spring look. Ignore the dwarfish face.

Anything you think I should change?

The coat is cool, albeit you can't really see much. I think you should ditch the hat though. Growing really tired of that look, especially after this miserable winter. A good haircut is ten times better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom