• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
H&M can get you a suit for ~100 bucks, shirt and tie can be easily had with the rest.
ah I see...

Try some discount shoe place (assuming you live in the city or whatever) like DSW or Nordstrom Rack. Avoid busy stuff, less stitching the better. They won't be the best shoes, most likely, but they will be much better than chucks.

Enron

Banned
I'm not sure if dress shoes would go with the outfit?

So let me get this straight...you are wearing dress pants, a blazer, a dress shirt, and you aren't sure if dress shoes will go with the outfit?

lol.

But yeah, do NOT wear chucks. You will look like an idiot.

You don't even have to get real "dress" shoes - a variety of more casual footwear will probably work with that outfit.

Any suggestions for a spring/summer jacket? like a windbreaker or something? My pleather jacket is abit much these days..

The blue trousers were quite controversial! more positive comments than negative though so all good!

Minamu

I dun goofed! >_< I accidentally my whole white pants just now.

In other words, I mixed a cheap pair of cream white pants with a pair of bright red jeans in the washing machine, expecting no complications, as none have happened before (some minor accidents when they were new, but that's more than 15 washes ago). Now the cream white pair is ever so slightly pinkish (haven't had a good look yet). Is there anything I can do? Chlorine?

Nvm, some stain remover and an extra wash seem to have sorted it out in an acceptable way.

rock it, I guess? Pale pink ain't so bad, IMO.

Spring/summer jacket = harrington or baseball jacket. Brand will depend on $$$

LIqHW.jpg

Nothing too exciting, but eh it's still cold and snow-covered outside.

Maybe it's just the model they've used, but that tshirt has a horrible fitting.

The cut looks exactly like one designed for a woman. Look at the shoulders, how it's pulled in above the hips...

Now, maybe you're going for that early-20s female look. But guys need shirts that make them look like an upside down triangle, not an hourglass.

I think it's just gathered at the back, but yes, if it's actually cut like that, it's a totally wrong look for a guy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
got a pretty amazing greyish silver suit from EXPRESS this weekend for ~250. i put it on and couldn't believe it actually fit off the rack. i'm so typically averse to express's regular clothing with all its needless straps or hyper sleek city red dress shirts that it heightened the find even more.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
no pics with it on as yet. but if you're curious what it looks like on someone who is actually way dashing, here you go.

swHan.jpg

i have a tough time finding stuff off the rack that actually fits, but this slipped on and seemed made for me (got a 36R and 29x30 slacks). it's got little pinstripes through it--subtle--and i like the light color, since it can be a nice spring suit for my graduation and for any dressier summer stuff, weddings and the like, too.

Getting married on the beach in a few months, what should I wear. It's just us and our daughter so definitely no suit. Well, maybe but I really have no idea. I just want to look class and be comfortable.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cotton/polyester. it feels pretty light and airy when i put it on--seems to breathe pretty well. i was just surprised that their 36R actually seemed like an honest-to-god 36R and not like some bastardization of a 36R designed for a bigger dude.

bob page

Any suggestions for a spring/summer jacket? like a windbreaker or something? My pleather jacket is abit much these days..

The blue trousers were quite controversial! more positive comments than negative though so all good!

I picked up this one at Uniqlo this weekend for $80 (in black):

071193_sub1.jpg

Cobano

Neo Member
Soon time for some clothes for spring/summer. I'm thinking the 2 most expensive investments will be a nice blazer and some jeans. I like the look of this

ImageServerMexx

Somewhere in between casual and dressed up. What do you guys think?

bob page

Soon time for some clothes for spring/summer. I'm thinking the 2 most expensive investments will be a nice blazer and some jeans. I like the look of this

Somewhere in between casual and dressed up. What do you guys think?

Not a fan of the wash on those jeans.

Cobano

Neo Member
Not a fan of the wash on those jeans.

I agree with you on that one, was more thinking of the whole look. Not sure if I should go for a blazer for the spring, I'm thinking of either that or a trenchcoat. The difference being that the blazer would probably work all year.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
You're right, wearing it longer would be the correct way to do it. But I'm a short thin guy - 5'5" 135 pounds - so I try to add details that add length to my body. I've seen guys in street fashion blogs that have pulled it off. Maybe an extra inch wouldn't hurt.

yes sir! i do live here and it's quite an amazing city! I've been here for 4 months, mostly learning Chinese and trying to start a company on the side. Shanghai is kind of a fashion paradise - you have the fabric market where you pretty much get anything made for a decent price. and you have the street fashion - full-on pink pajamas out on the street, fur vested cruella devilles, and just plain funky weirdness everywhere.

That's pretty awsome. Yeah I know, shiliupu on the Puxi side of Shanghai. I'm assuming you're living in Pudong? You should head to the French Concessions, and TianXiFang for more stylish things :D

bob page

I agree with you on that one, was more thinking of the whole look. Not sure if I should go for a blazer for the spring, I'm thinking of either that or a trenchcoat. The difference being that the blazer would probably work all year.

Probably blazer + chinos would look best.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Why are so many of you picking out spring jackets in fall colors? Even if you have a light skin tone, there are great ways to rock appropriate spring wear. Forrest green, brown corduroy or leather, and deep tans are great -- but not in spring.

Stick with something light and airy. Whites, creams, pastels if you can pull it off. If you have a darker skin tone, try yellows or pinks. But save the autumn spectrum ... for autumn.

Why are so many of you picking out spring jackets in fall colors? Even if you have a light skin tone, there are great ways to rock appropriate spring wear. Forrest green, brown corduroy, and deep tans are great -- but not in spring.

Stick with something light and airy. Whites, creams, pastels if you can pull it off. If you have a darker skin tone, try yellows or pinks. But save the autumn spectrum ... for autumn.
it represents my inner darkness and philosophy.

plus dark colors makes it easier to hide in the shadows when following people at night.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
it represents my inner darkness and philosophy.

plus dark colors makes it easier to hide in the shadows when following people at night.

Well spruce it up with an absolutely SUPER pastel v-neck!

j/k. You look great. Maybe some lighter pants and a little less murder/rapist/mass-murder hoodie/sunglasses look might really bring home the "i'm ready for sunshine and flowers" look of spring.

Doytch

On this topic, how do you guys feel about rocking light colours at night? Like, I love love love my white jeans and pale green chinos, but I'm reluctant to wear them after the sun goes down. I'd like to get a lightweight white jacket, but at night...?

I don't really follow the "don't wear white after/before ___" rules, especially since I'm living in NC now and it's been 25C+ already, but at night it seems different. Opinions!

Well spruce it up with an absolutely SUPER pastel v-neck!

j/k. You look great. Maybe some lighter pants and a little less murder/rapist/mass-murder hoodie/sunglasses look might really bring home the "i'm ready for sunshine and flowers" look of spring.
hah, I aim for a stylish rape look, so that's good to hear it's coming across visually :p... but it's still winter here, basically, so i'm not gonna wear my light greys and such as they will get all muddy and gross as soon as I step outside.

On this topic, how do you guys feel about rocking light colours at night? Like, I love love love my white jeans and pale green chinos, but I'm reluctant to wear them after the sun goes down. I'd like to get a lightweight white jacket, but at night...?

I don't really follow the "don't wear white after/before ___" rules, especially since I'm living in NC now and it's been 25C+ already, but at night it seems different. Opinions!

I don't think anyone cares about these rules, but they are kind of practical in a sense, as fall usually brings rain and mud so your nice white spectator shoes will be beaten up after a night on the town. I base my decisions on the weather/climate, not the calendar day.

White looks fine at night, IMO.

Alucrid

Banned

The only white things I wear are v neck t shirts

/ sleeves on varsity jacket

/ shoes

What's GAF's opinion on skinny ties? When they started getting popular (again?) a few years back, I thought they were great because it's not too formal and they look ''modern''. Now after watching Suits, there really is no contest, skinny ties are for little boys, completely over them.

Edit: Looked up briefcases and one of the first results was how to use briefcase in Windows XP. I didn't even know there was a briefcase so I made one and this popped up:

0kCSI.jpg

This has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

Jay Sosa

Question Time!

Is there any T-Shirt/Clothing brand for slim tall guys?

Shirts are either way too short or too big. So I either end up looking like a hipster with my navel out or like some dope boy.

Same with hoodies or almost any other piece of clothing..

I'm not even that big and slim, bout 6'4 and 190 pounds..

Any advice?

What's GAF's opinion on skinny ties? When they started getting popular (again?) a few years back, I thought they were great because it's not too formal and they look ''modern''. Now after watching Suits, there really is no contest, skinny ties are for little boys, completely over them.
Skinny, as in less than 2", are kind of a trend or only for people who's suit cut and lapel works with that (ie, dropping a noodle-thick tie with a standard dept store suit just looks bad). What I consider slim, around 2.75-3", will look fine.

FWIW, I don't really dig the noodle ties. I've seen it looks good, but only in ads or on people who might blow away in a strong wind.

Doytch

I do 2" knit ties and 2-1/2" regulars. My lapels are all on the skinny side also, since giant lapels and ties would swallow me (6', ~153 lbs)

@Jay Sosa: American Apparel? Their tees tend to run longer than most, IMO.

bob page

Edit: Looked up briefcases and one of the first results was how to use briefcase in Windows XP. I didn't even know there was a briefcase so I made one and this popped up:

This has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

At my office, the only people wearing regular "old school" ties (that get wider as the tie goes down) are the guys that are 40+ years old. Everyone else wears slim ties. Personally, I believe slims ties are the proper way of doing it, seeing as style went down the shitter between the 70's-90's and slim was predominant before then. As people got fatter, so did the ties.

I'm good for anything between 2-3". Not a fan of anything skinnier than that.

Menelaus

Banned
This thread makes me hate my womanly hips. Buying a suit off the rack? A tale I've only been told, and will never experience.

Boken

Banned
I have an above average drop so off the rack suits dont fit me either! What's worse is shirts. Regular fit shirts that fit my shoulders are extremely baggy around the torso

I can't wear skinny ties. I'm a big guy, I always feel like they look tiny on me. My ties are between 2.75" and 3.5". I'm pretty okay with a 3-3.25" width, that I like that size.

I have an above average drop so off the rack suits dont fit me either! What's worse is shirts. Regular fit shirts that fit my shoulders are extremely baggy around the torso

Ck collection is around a 8 or 9 drop, depending on your build. I'm a 39-40 chest and a 30 waist and they fit excellently. Same with shirts.

Rookje

Just ordered this messenger bag as my replacement for my "PoS" backpack:

london_citizenhero_enlarge_1_1.jpg

london_citizenv2_enlarge.jpg

What do you guys think?
I have this same bag, in black/red. The problem with Chrome bags is they dont really have any compartments in them, which can be awkward. There's no padding or anything.

bob page

Can I get this online? Really liking it, perfect for summer nights. I hope it would look nice with some dark jeans.

I think it's listed on their site as $90- you could probably call them and order it over the phone. Be sure to size down- I'm 6 foot and I needed a XS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom