• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
huh? why, it is like the most common length. fits most average people.
It seems to me that 32 is the most common, at least here in Australia anyway (we're giants aye?)

Of course not.

Boken, I like your taste in shoes. I'm considering the Savoy myself.

I've heard the Allen Edmonds are pretty comfortable! And I like that the Strand is less dressy. People sing their praise for Loake 1880 range (of which Savoy belongs) too though.

y2dvd

Soon time for some clothes for spring/summer. I'm thinking the 2 most expensive investments will be a nice blazer and some jeans. I like the look of this

ImageServerMexx

Somewhere in between casual and dressed up. What do you guys think?

I love this look. I will try this look out.

Alucrid

Banned
Fit pic of the coat I took earlier. Seemed to have been well received elsewhere. (sleeves are off because I was taking my hand out of the pocket.)

45HuAl.jpg

bob page

I have some shoes for sale, PM me! Prices include shipping.

Photos (Clark's -> AE -> TH):
http://imgur.com/a/KN2r3

-Allen Edmonds Hindsdale wingtip (8.5 D, NEW, fits like 9.5): brand new and look awesome, but they were too small for me. Oxblood-type color. Just got these two days ago for $200. ($180)
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7718_1_40000000001_-1

-Tommy Hilfiger Samson wingtip oxfords (size 10 M): They're a dark brown leather and have a nice looking wooden sole. They have a more narrow fit (M width). There is some very minor wear on the bottom of the shoe from wearing it 2 times, but they were too big for me, so they're still in great condition. ($50)

-Clark's Desert Boots (beeswax, 9.5): these are in great condition and I just polished them with mink oil, so there aren't any scuffs. The bottom crepe sole is in great condition and doesn't have any uneven wear or anything. ($50)

I have the boxes for the Clark's & Tommy's- add $3 if you want it since I won't be able to ship flat rate with them.

Can somebody explain how this
jHn6vl.jpg

OR
cGMNwl.jpg

would be appealing without using the word silhouette. I mean I kinda like it and I appreciate it, but I don't understand it and would never wear it. Somehow the 'silhouette' comments they give over at the Sartorialist comments smell like half-baked bullshit to me (like most fashion blogging). I mean they keep saying silhouette but in the VAGUEST way possible (bold and exciting, I wish men were brave enough, futuristic, blah blah). Someone even said "blade runner lol" which confused me because Blade Runner's fashion had nothing to do with this. It was very traditional, in an early 80s way.

I keep thinking it's because the fashion world find traditional menswear boring now, but still we turn to this look?

bob page

would be appealing without using the word silhouette. I mean I kinda like it and I appreciate it, but I don't understand it and would never wear it. Somehow the 'silhouette' comments they give over at the Sartorialist comments smell like half-baked bullshit to me (like most fashion blogging). I mean they keep saying silhouette but in the VAGUEST way possible (bold and exciting, I wish men were brave enough, futuristic, blah blah). Someone even said "blade runner lol" which confused me because Blade Runner's fashion had nothing to do with this. It was very traditional, in an early 80s way.

I keep thinking it's because the fashion world find traditional menswear boring now, but still we turn to this look?

I haven't seen anyone turn to that look, so I don't know. Maybe people who work in the fashion industry or something but I've never seen anyone dress like that (and I live in Brooklyn).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
http://i.imgur.com/jHn6vl.jpg OR http://i.imgur.com/cGMNwl.jpg
would be appealing without using the word silhouette.

The first picture - designer labels and material qualities notwithstanding - looks patently ridiculous because it is what a cardboard box-dwelling homeless person would wear. It's cobbled together with nonsensical layers repeatedly piled upon each other in what appears to be some avant garde Friends cosplay.

NBY4E.jpg

On the other hand, the second one is pretty interesting (although the photo itself is lacking much detail thanks to the atrocious contrast and crushed blacks). Brings back the brief conversation about men wearing shorts with tights from several pages ago, and this fellow is rocking it hard. There's some visual appeal in the textural combinations - the dramatic cowl, quilting under crinkling leading down onto the sleeker solids... The deep, naturalistic colors are very complimentary together, as well.

Traditional menswear and all the dumb RULES that come along with it is boring and has been for ages; we cycle through various cuts, from baggy to slim to billowy to flattering to short to long but we're always wearing more or less the same things. I mean, we're sitting here with the most daring "everyman" fashion trend being dudes' pants revealing their brightly adorned - or, shock! bare ankles. Outfits like the above are never going to be commonplace (thank Christ) but luckily some guys are confident and creative enough to pull it off so the rest of us can maybe have the balls to try something beyond the status quo once in a while and stop caring so much if what we put on follows the big important checklist in the sky.

Traditional menswear and all the dumb RULES that come along with it is boring and has been for ages; we cycle through various cuts, from baggy to slim to billowy to flattering to short to long but we're always wearing more or less the same things. I mean, we're sitting here with the most daring "everyman" fashion trend being dudes' pants revealing their brightly adorned - or, shock! bare ankles. Outfits like the above are never going to be commonplace (thank Christ) but luckily some guys are confident and creative enough to pull it off so the rest of us can maybe have the balls to try something beyond the status quo once in a while and stop caring so much if what we put on follows the big important checklist in the sky.

Thanks for explaining the appeal of these fashunz. This certain style has always intrigued me but at the same time I abhor it. I feel like it's just blatant consumerism. They just layer more and more high fashion things on them in an effort to include the best pieces and thereby the highest price. It's just basically stacks on stacks on stacks of clothes. I do like that they're so avant-garde to do it, but still the look sucks.

I feel like we'll never move out of traditional menswear and its cycle unless the guys in our society would just dress better. Then everyone wouldn't be so amazed if they see a guy wearing a suit or sports coat. Normal people would finally stop putting men who dress in suits at such a high standard and we can move on.

Ash_69

You bastard i bought these yesterday on a whim in the Oakley store in Covent Garden, AND the sales person upsold me to polarised lenses!!

Be happy, you obviously have style my friend.

I have yet to take the plunge as I went shopping with my hot girl mate (I know...) and she tells me that I should go for something different as they are too obvious and everyone has either oakley's or ray bans. I see her point on the bans. She's recommending Tom Ford although I'm not convincing.

Also, on the Oakley's, after trying on the silver and the black, I definately preferred the black. The silver's were too shiny.

Enron

Banned
Be happy, you obviously have style my friend.

I have yet to take the plunge as I went shopping with my hot girl mate (I know...) and she tells me that I should go for something different as they are too obvious and everyone has either oakley's or ray bans. I see her point on the bans. She's recommending Tom Ford although I'm not convincing.

Also, on the Oakley's, after trying on the silver and the black, I definately preferred the black. The silver's were too shiny.

Classics look good no matter if everyone has them or not. Aviators, Wayfarers, Clubmasters, etc all looked good 40 years ago and they still look good today and will look good 40 years from now. Sport with confidence, my friends.

Boken

Banned
Classics look good no matter if everyone has them or not. Aviators, Wayfarers, Clubmasters, etc all looked good 40 years ago and they still look good today and will look good 40 years from now. Sport with confidence, my friends.
+1. Classics may be popular, but they're timeless. Some Tom Ford glasses might look nice, and there's the brand recognition of "I'm a really rich dude and yes, I bought these glasses" thing going on - but it's up to you if you value that. Raybans are cheaper, they look awesome, will always be cool and they're honest.

Also, I wish we had Banana Republic in Australia. : (

Help me Manshion GAF!

Trying to find specific shoes that I've seen a million people wear but I can't find the exact pair. I can't even find them online..

They look like Leather John Varvatos Vintage Converse shoes but they had red in them and they were normally laceless or had black laces.

Something like this but with a dark red exterior with a polished/dirtied up front tip like the image below or it was darker.. like a charcoal or black.. can't recall.

*Image obviously doesnt have the red*
2HZkA.png

Anyone have any idea what shoe I'm talking about... It may not even be Converse but I've been dying for these since I've seen them all over.

What are spring/summer essentials I should add to my wardrobe? I was thinking of getting some dark red chinos and a turquoise oxford. Who sells better oxfords? J Crew or Banana Republic? As far as shoes go I was thinking either these chukkas. It's like a union jack limited edition or I could just go for basic navy suede.

http://www.zappos.com/product/105990/color/82210

Or these new Jack Purcells. Only problem with converse is I'm a size 12 and when they get that big they start looking like clown shoes.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/convers...men/3227513?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

Of course I'm getting a tanktop or two to round things out.

As I have a posh gala soon, I just bought a new leather belt for my costume, a chromed tie clip and two ties (a stripped gray one with some gradient in the colours and a kind of salmon pink coloured one (think of something between pink and orange) - I think that's the one I'm going to wear).

I was asked 75€ for all of this, but feelsgoodman.jpg.

It's a shame there's no more Marks And Spencer in my town, they used to have quite nice ties...

zchen

Help me Manshion GAF!

Trying to find specific shoes that I've seen a million people wear but I can't find the exact pair. I can't even find them online..

They look like Leather John Varvatos Vintage Converse shoes but they had red in them and they were normally laceless or had black laces.

Something like this but with a dark red exterior with a polished/dirtied up front tip like the image below or it was darker.. like a charcoal or black.. can't recall.

*Image obviously doesnt have the red*

Anyone have any idea what shoe I'm talking about... It may not even be Converse but I've been dying for these since I've seen them all over.

These?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/convers...kingCode=E4ACA255-C455-E111-9E12-001517B1882A

Hey guys, a little help.

Always have a hard time finding Jeans for my size cause i'm skinny. Specifically straight jeans, not skinny fit or baggy. Any website recommendations?

Also, want to get more "Adult" clothes, so looking for cheap but good suits and blazers. Any recommendations appreciated. Many thanks.

Hey guys, a little help.

Always have a hard time finding Jeans for my size cause i'm skinny. Specifically straight jeans, not skinny fit or baggy. Any website recommendations?

Also, want to get more "Adult" clothes, so looking for cheap but good suits and blazers. Any recommendations appreciated. Many thanks.

APC, ACNE and Nudie have a pretty diverse range of fits. One of them should have something for you.

bjscott05

Anyone have any suggestions for a decently priced sports jacket? I'm partial toward navy, but I'd consider some other colors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom