• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not enough no's lol. Seriously though, thanks for your advice, will think more carefully about my choices next time.
I skimmed through that house of fraser site, and I found it?
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Denham+Blazer+jacket/160550862,default,pd.html

The color does look nicer, but eh, I think something from Engineered Garments, Universal Works, Woolrich Woolen Mills, etc would probably be a better executed type of garment you're going for. Not sure where you can exactly find that stuff in the UK (assuming based on the house of fraser store) but most sites carrying one of those labels will likely have something up your alley.

f0rk

Any good websites for browsing haircuts? I have thick curly hair and getting it cut at a new place, not sure what to ask for.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Any good websites for browsing haircuts? I have thick curly hair and getting it cut at a new place, not sure what to ask for.

Picking a new haircut is hard, at least for me. I can never determine what my face shape is or what would look good on me. As a result, my hair has always looked like shit.

Honestly Im surprised at how much shit you have to sift through to get some ideas, its unreal. Try recent catwalks show pictures albums, GQ and stuff like that.

Rookje

Where do I find these kind of shorts without costing an arm and a leg?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S46VHY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They don't have to be plaid.
1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif

Alucrid

Banned
No cargo pockets, (I'm not a fan of plaid designs and what not), have them end above the knee.

Still, Rookje's gif is accurate.

Tomodachi

haha what would you guys suggest? I need some shorts :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TGY5LU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I need wardrobe advice for the summer.

5'8" 145 pounds.

Looks like you're pretty fit, how old are you?

I like those by the way, they're H&M, pretty cheap but nice looking, perfect for the sea and you can match that color with pretty much anything.

2012_G10_Men_Shorts.jpg

You just need to find chinos-style shorts. Avoid cargos and anything baggy and/or with big pockets if you're over 14 and you don't skate.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Looks like you're pretty fit, how old are you?

I like those by the way, they're H&M, pretty cheap but nice looking, perfect for the sea and you can match that color with pretty much anything.

2012_G10_Men_Shorts.jpg

You just need to find chinos-style shorts. Avoid cargos and anything baggy and/or with big pockets if you're over 14 and you don't skate.

I'm 28 but I look 21 or so I'm told... I'm definitely fit and workout often. I have always dressed with dark colors often.. I need to spice things up a bit lol

I'm 28 but I look 21 or so I'm told... I'm definitely fit and workout often.
That guy has it about right.

Length at the knee or slightly above. Don't do the short-shorts, and don't do the super long middle of the shin 'might as well be capris' thing. Excessive amounts of pockets and bulkier shorts are unnecessary. If you don't have any other shorts that you really like, buy simpler designs first to get started. Solid colors, like the one that guy posted, will go a long way. Good colors to start your wardrobe would be blue, tan, maybe white if you think it's good on you, and other neutral-type colors. They'll be easy to mix and match with any shirts you already own. Black is a maybe. Try different shades of colors as well. If you want to go further, go for crazy colors, as they're getting in right now.

But if you're building your wardrobe, just keep it simple for now and then you can branch out later.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For some reason I don't think I could pull off those shorts.

Any good suggestions for hats? I'm a baseball cap and plain colors dude but need some better hat options for dark jeans and decent shirts or polos. Or should I just not be wearing them?

I'm pretty much a ball cap person exclusively, probably because I played the game when I was younger. I feel too costumey in anything else. I plan on getting a dark cashmere one for the winter hah.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm pretty much a ball cap person exclusively, probably because I played the game when I was younger. I feel too costumey in anything else. I plan on getting a dark cashmere one for the winter hah.

I feel I look better in a hat most of the time, also my hair is wavy and medium length so any wind at all makes it stick up everywhere. Sometimes I feel like a woman with as much as I worry about my hair sticking up everywhere (no offense to women). :p

Never been able to get gel to look good either. I guess I'm not going bald at least!

Tomodachi

For some reason I don't think I could pull off those shorts.

Any good suggestions for hats? I'm a baseball cap and plain colors dude but need some better hat options for dark jeans and decent shirts or polos. Or should I just not be wearing them?
It's really difficult to nail hats, not only matching them with proper clothes, but I've always felt you kinda need the attitude and self-confidence to wear it naturally. Also, the way you let your hair out of them is somewhat important and most of all, not all heads are made for hats imho. Baseball caps are the easiest ones cause they're sporty and they are just a... "hemisferic cover" that fits the head, but I must say I'm not a big fan, probably because they're not exactly a typical European accessory (I'm Italian) and I'm really not used to them.

I really like this model (I tend to use H&M as a reference for a few reasons: I think you have those in the States, they're cheap so if you're really not sure about something you won't have lost a lot of money and finally they look pretty good for the ridiculous price).
14sy.jpg

+ white shirt/polo + dark jeans, but I would wear something like that only in summer.

Or something less fancy:

3920420819_1_1_3.jpg

This is from Zara and I'm not sure you have those there, it's Spanish. Looks elegant but it really should be worn casually imho, with a white t-shirt or a funny one.

I feel I look better in a hat most of the time, also my hair is wavy and medium length so any wind at all makes it stick up everywhere. Sometimes I feel like a woman with as much as I worry about my hair sticking up everywhere (no offense to women). :p

Never been able to get gel to look good either. I guess I'm not going bald at least!
Have you tried clay stuff? I have Mexican poofy porcupine hair and its the only stuff that keeps it in check.

I skimmed through that house of fraser site, and I found it?
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Denham+Blazer+jacket/160550862,default,pd.html

The color does look nicer, but eh, I think something from Engineered Garments, Universal Works, Woolrich Woolen Mills, etc would probably be a better executed type of garment you're going for. Not sure where you can exactly find that stuff in the UK (assuming based on the house of fraser store) but most sites carrying one of those labels will likely have something up your alley.

Yeah that's the one. I haven't owned a blazer before, I was just looking for something I could wear during the summer if the temperature drops a little. I will check those designers you mentioned, thanks again.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have you tried clay stuff? I have Mexican poofy porcupine hair and its the only stuff that keeps it in check.

I've debated trying that stuff but, I guess, I'm not sure what I'd do with my hair with that (or gel) in it. Just mess it up?

Also thanks for the hat suggestions. I've never been able to rock a hat like that though, partially because I have a big head. :p

Alucrid

Banned
I've debated trying that stuff but, I guess, I'm not sure what I'd do with my hair with that (or gel) in it. Just mess it up?

Also thanks for the hat suggestions. I've never been able to rock a hat like that though, partially because I have a big head. :p

I slick my hair back with American Crew fiber. Works well enough.

bob page

I slick my hair back with American Crew fiber. Works well enough.

Fiber is great if you have short/medium hair. I would be using it still but for some reason, it always made my scalp break out. I usually alternate between Axe Hold & Touch and Bed Head Powerplay- both equally as effective.

Also worth trying is Gatsby Moving Rubber from Japan. The hold is crazy and extremely effective but it's pretty hard to wash out, which is why I stopped using it. Definitely the best hold of any product without getting flakes, though.

Alucrid

Banned
Fiber is great if you have short/medium hair. I would be using it still but for some reason, it always made my scalp break out. I usually alternate between Axe Hold & Touch and Bed Head Powerplay- both equally as effective.

It even worked decently for long hair when I needed to keep my bangs in place.

bob page

It even worked decently for long hair when I needed to keep my bangs in place.

Do you have straight hair? My hair is pretty unruly/light and even the slightest wind will mess it up. Fiber usually didn't work too well for me a month after getting my hair done.

Ties

Banned
What's a typical ensemble a 15 year old guy should be wearing during summer? Looking into those chinos, I've always wanted shorts like that. Yay or nay for maroon chinos?

I've been seeing a bunch of sweater over dress shirt layering on campus but holy crap it's too goddamn hot to do that shit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Maroon chinos are rad. I feel like it's a color easier to pull off in shorts (most brighter/bold colors are), so that's a bonus for a lot of dudes.

Alucrid

Banned
Do you have straight hair? My hair is pretty unruly/light and even the slightest wind will mess it up. Fiber usually didn't work too well for me a month after getting my hair done.

Yeah, but I'm not doing any Onii-kei shit, I'm just slicking it behind back / behind my ears and what not.

RE H&M, Apparently it's a CG body.

And yeah, when my hair was longer I used American Crew fiber. Now I use the clay stuff they make. The pomade stuff is good too.

Basically, you can't go wrong with something that company makes.

Alucrid that's disappointing to hear, I was counting on you bringing visual kei back

Louis Vuitton has some amazing belts on their online store, but of course, in the Americas, they ship to the US only. Between Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, they are throwing away customers and money. I dont get that.

fisheyes

At the risk of having my fashion sense shot down, are there any good sites for cheap, but not horrible, wool / flannel / etc (or similar looking ones of other material) shirts to wear over a t-shirt and the like? They need to ship to Australia, though.

And speaking of, since its coming out of Winter in the US but coming into it here, any good sites for good, cheap winter stuff that'll ship here to Aus?

How do the black guys of Manshion have their hair? Currently I'm rocking the fro but not sure if I'll keep it with this SC summer coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom