• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
@dem orange shadez: Would get the light blue ones, but don't want to drop $150 on sunglasses that'd probably end up being my 3rd [mayyybe second] most-worn pair =\
Sunglasses are one of those items where I find the (questionable even) superior quality and durability of name brands really doesn't give me anything different, especially with the way I treat my sunglasses (on/off constantly, jammed in pockets, etc.).

I spend enough on clothing, so I've become 100% anti name brand on sunglasses, and I love it. I get to treat them like crap, and I constantly have 4-5 pairs to choose from. So many companies have knocked off the Wayfarer look now, you can find a cheapo to get the style without the markup.

Hell, H&M has a pair right now for a ridiculous $6. Are they as good? Of course not, no one would argue that. But is the legit pair ~25 pairs worth of those knockoffs? Not IMO.

Like this but dark brown:

http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/1/8/1187246-p-2x.jpg

And here's a better pic of the ones in question:

http://www.ruggedsole.com/upload/_MG_6939.jpg
ah, yeah, the heel looks much better... they certainly are dressier in shape than the varvatos, though canvas brings them back to casual a few notches...so go with what you think you'd use them for? shit like sweaters and chinos, i think would look nice. the varvatos ones are eh to me tbh, though I don't really like that kind of rubber sole on laced shoes/boots.

bob page

ah, yeah, the heel looks much better... they certainly are dressier in shape than the varvatos, though canvas brings them back to casual a few notches...so go with what you think you'd use them for? shit like sweaters and chinos, i think would look nice. the varvatos ones are eh to me tbh, though I don't really like that kind of rubber sole on laced shoes/boots.

There's no orange trim on the dark brown ones, but the rubber sole makes them incredibly comfortable compared to other DB's I've worn.

I placed an order for the Fisk's ($69 on myhabit), so hopefully I got the right size since DB's are usually either too large or too small. I was planning to wear them with jeans and button down shirt, or even more casually than that.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Link, please. I like this.

Here you go.

And regarding the quality of Korean fashion and how it fits: a lot of people seem to shit on it and sure, some of the stuff won't look as good on you as it's looking in the photos - but it shouldn't be that hard to spot the ones that aren't completely sculped/clamped at the back. I see a lot of people complaining about sizes - do your homework! Usually these sellers provide a truckload of sizes (shoulder, total length, length of sleeves, etc. I usually compare these with a piece of clothing I already have that fits well to see if it corresponds. Never had anything that didn't fit well or didn't look good by checking and comparing the measurements.

Finally, quality.. Hit and miss. If something is super cheap, yeah, you're not getting the highest quality, duh. What do you expect fro $10-$20... But if you take care of it, it might last you a couple of years anyway. It's the same as with H&M/Uniqlo/etc - some people scream bloody murder about the shoddy quality, others have zero problems. I've had Uniqlo pants last 5 years before they fell apart.

All in all, I've bought three sweaters and a jacket from different Korean stores on eBay and haven't had anything disappointing yet. Then again I problem have about the same build as the average Korean dude so that may help.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I must be the only man alive that thinks non-sneakers with tails looks ridiculous. Reminds me of Peter Pan for some reason. I think that's the point for a few of you, but that's another topic.

I must be the only man alive that thinks non-sneakers with tails looks ridiculous. Reminds me of Peter Pan for some reason. I think that's the point for a few of you, but that's another topic.

You mean like uh, doc martens? Yah those are pretty Peter Pan.

I would like to delve onto the last sentence. Its been awhile since we've had one of these conversations.

Lamel

Banned
Ok so here is the deal. I need dress shoes for an interview this friday. My friend has these stacy adams, he has only wore them ~4 times. There is slight bending at the top. But he is offering to sell them to me for $15-20.

Pics. Should I buy them or not?

jboIFO35gnsM3F.jpg

jBOboV6ZwSZna.jpg

They look decent (pics make them look a bit worse.) and feel pretty alright. And really cheap too. What say you?

Edit: I looked up prices on the Stacy adams sight. Similar styles are at ~$80 right now.

bob page

Ok so here is the deal. I need dress shoes for an interview this friday. My friend has these stacy adams, he has only wore them ~4 times. There is slight bending at the top. But he is offering to sell them to me for $15-20.

They look decent (pics make them look a bit worse.) and feel pretty alright. And really cheap too. What say you?

If you're in a bind, then go for it. Stacy Adams isn't a good brand, though, so don't expect them to last long- usually you can find new ones for ~$50.

Tokubetsu

Those are spring/summer standbys pretty much.

For you, television, I can find your slim fit, flat-front, concealed fly, 7-9" rise (and inseam) or less (the more important part for you I'm assuming?), chinos at ASOS, Nordstroms, Urban Outfitters, Bonobos, Banana Republic, etc. for around $40-$70. Are you looking for something a bit cheaper? (Macy's is having a sell on these Classic Solid Oxford Shorts by Izod going for $23.99. You'd probably have to get them hemmed to suit your taste, but that's not too big of a hassle.)

And for you, Tokubetsu, what you described is a sport shirt (I've also seen it be called a casual shirt). Every online store that sells men's clothing sells them, so it'd be helpful if you could be just a bit more specific about fit, price, and look. And that 3 day sell Macy's has on those shorts is online store wide, so be sure to check that out.

Tuck your t-shirt in, bby.

Totally just saw this, terrible I know! I'm looking for something definitely below $50, preferably in the 25-30 range?

Lamel

Banned
If you're in a bind, then go for it. Stacy Adams isn't a good brand, though, so don't expect them to last long- usually you can find new ones for ~$50.

Ah well that's a bummer. I mean I can probably drive the price down to $10. I just need them for the interview...then later I can invest in some nicer dress shoes.

whitehawk

Banned

jboIFO35gnsM3F.jpg

jBOboV6ZwSZna.jpg

Edit: I looked up prices on the Stacy adams sight. Similar styles are at ~$80 right now.
Looks fine to me. Those bends would have come naturally as soon as you started walking in them anyway.

lunchtoast

Sup manshees. I'm looking for some casual shoes, mostly worn with jeans and lightly colored t-shirts. I've been a chucks guy for years because I like the style and easier to find my size (14), but I'm getting tired of wearing them all the time. No athletic shoes or high tops. I don't care about the price just looking for good looking colors/patterns and work from there.

careful

Copped these suede boots on sale for $39. Haven't got them yet, but I'm feeling the style. I'm wondering if the dark green/olive will match with my mostly brown belts though..
262946_0_49

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65126?feat=505906-GN3
(almost out of sizes)

Had a similar problem with bordeaux/reddish shoes that I couldn't seem to match with anything.. It always looked a little off with a brown belt. Help me manshion gaf, how do you pull off non-brown non-black shoes?

Lamel

Banned
Friend = he would let you borrow them for the day IMO.

That was the original plan. However his feet outgrew the shoe (yeah, in college...). So I said I can take them off his hands. I will be interviewing a lot these days so I can get some use out of them. Either way, they seem decent enough.

Lamel

Banned
My current dress watch. I need to buy more watches so I can become the next onkel!

QyFDV.jpg
kj1Dr.jpg

It looks nice.

I've been thinking of getting a watch for a long time, and always wondered. What's the etiquette on these watches.

Would a leather strap watch be considered casual? dress? both? I need learn this fashion thing.

That was the original plan. However his feet outgrew the shoe (yeah, in college...). So I said I can take them off his hands. I will be interviewing a lot these days so I can get some use out of them. Either way, they seem decent enough.

So your friend is charging you for his used shoes that don't even fit him anymore?

Enron

Banned
It looks nice.

I've been thinking of getting a watch for a long time, and always wondered. What's the etiquette on these watches.

Would a leather strap watch be considered casual? dress? both? I need learn this fashion thing.

metal bracelets are more casual. Straps are dressier. doesn't really matter, though. you can get away with wearing metal bracelets though with dressier attire.

Actually, putting a pocket square in a leather rider might be what is necessary to get #menswear to finally jump the shark.

How did you figure out the size? Just measure against something you own or? It fits very well as I am sure you know.

Alucrid

Banned
Actually, putting a pocket square in a leather rider might be what is necessary to get #menswear to finally jump the shark.

How did you figure out the size? Just measure against something you own or? It fits very well as I am sure you know.

I owned ToJ jacket in a size 46 that I bought second hand so I just tweaked those measurements when I placed the order for this jacket.

Lamel

Banned
So your friend is charging you for his used shoes that don't even fit him anymore?
He can make due with them, just uncomfortably. I've only known him for like 3 months, he's a nice guy, he's done me a few favors, he needs the money, $10 won't kill me. This discussion is going nowhere.

Can't beat $10 for some like-new dress shoes that aren't horrendously ugly. Buy them but as soon as you get your first paycheck you better go buy some nice shoes.

spicy cho

I owned ToJ jacket in a size 46 that I bought second hand so I just tweaked those measurements when I placed the order for this jacket.
Nice. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2010 DR. Going to a tailor to make sure I don't screw up measurements of my body/jacket.

Nice. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2010 DR. Going to a tailor to make sure I don't screw up measurements of my body/jacket.

I don't know man, the last time I had a tailor take my measurements, many years ago, I was supposedly a 38R, when I was a 36 at best... It might be helpful but I wouldn't take it as gospel. Honestly, finding any old shit dept store jacket that fits well in the dressing room and nabbing those numbers is probably a better resource, dicky as that might be.

spicy cho

I don't know man, the last time I had a tailor take my measurements, many years ago, I was supposedly a 38R, when I was a 36 at best... It might be helpful but I wouldn't take it as gospel. Honestly, finding any old shit dept store jacket that fits well in the dressing room and nabbing those numbers is probably a better resource, dicky as that might be.
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm gonna grab the measurements from a denim jacket I have which fits pretty and I'll get my body measured too just to be safe. I'm kind of in between small and medium, so I'm paranoid I guess.

Alucrid I'm going with standard black lamb w/ gunmetal. I was debating blacked out but it's not as nice I don't think.

I was thinking about saving up for a whiskey cwu but I saw the baseball jacket is coming back and there's supposed to be a new varsity which I think fits the look I'm going for better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom