• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

How does the fit on this Uniqlo linen blazer look? Wasn't sure if the shoulders were too broad for me (colors look effed up because of the lighting).

uc7pJ.jpg

bob page

Yeah, $60 this week, too. Tons of great sales at Uniqlo lately- just picked up some chino shorts for $20 and a light cardigan for $15.

kaskade

Yeah, $60 this week, too. Tons of great sales at Uniqlo lately- just picked up some chino shorts for $20 and a light cardigan for $15.

I'm pissed I'm missing the sale this week. Basically everything on sale is what I want to buy. I basically need shorts and shirts.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Does anyone here like Henleys? Its really hot where I live, but I also don't want to be the t shirt and jeans guy all the time.

I bought a couple Henleys from Kohls but not too happy with them. They are incredibly heavy.

Also, how do you all usually deal with minor damage to shoes?

My brand new Clarks have a few visible scuffs here and there, as well as a couple major ones. I don't know whether to be pissed because my new shoes have wear, or to see it as "character".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does anyone here like Henleys? Its really hot where I live, but I also don't want to be the t shirt and jeans guy all the time.

I bought a couple Henleys from Kohls but not too happy with them. They are incredibly heavy.

My brand new Clarks have a few visible scuffs here and there, as well as a couple major ones. I don't know whether to be pissed because my new shoes have wear, or to see it as "character".

how about a henley shirt like this.

http://us.asos.com/Superdry-Heritag...yZHJ5LUhlcml0YWdlLUhlbmxleS1ULVNoaXJ0L1Byb2Qv

http://www.buckle.com/mod-washed-henley/prd-55055SP12TS506/sku-8461700100

bob page

It's desirable to have wear on Clark's DBs. If it bothers you, you can always buy mink oil and slather some on there- all the scuffs will get buffed out and the color will end up a touch darker.

bob page

so i tumblred this jacket whining about how much I wanted it but Uniqlo isnt in LA yet, nor do they sell online to the US yet, when my cousin tweeted me back reminding me he is there visiting till tuesday

He says hes gonna go get it for me!!!! AHHHH

They still have it there- $80. Saw it in both the SoHo and 34th stores this past week. Just make sure you size down (I'm 6'0, 150lbs and had to get a XS).

Alternatively, you can call them up and see if they can do a phone order for you: 1-877-486-4756

OR

Try using Suddenlee. Someone will go out to Uniqlo and buy the item, ship it to you:
http://putthison.com/post/20065508253/how-does-suddenlee-work-after-my-post-on-monday

bob page

:lol, do they have XXS then?

Nope, XS is the smallest they go (and it's usually always sold out). Uniqlo has funky sizing on their outerwear like that. It looks like they're already starting to phase it out spring jackets, so B-Ri's cousin might want to go ASAP.

TxdoHawk

I was looking for a linen blazer as well, H&M has what seems like a nice one this season for $70, in actual sizes too (34 to 44). The gray-beige wasn't crazy appealing to my eyes, but might be up the alley of someone who wants something besides regular beige or navy. Navy, however, looked good (and looks a little nicer in-store compared to the site, IMO.)

They have matching pants if you want to make it a suit, I didn't think it looked great like that...but just the blazer came off as a nice, trim, casual piece for spring/summer. Anyone who has my blazer problem (broad shoulders, skinny-ish body, any blazer not cut slim that fits in the shoulders looks like a tarp) may wanna check it out.

I skipped on it last week but I'm going to grab one today probably, will take a picture if anybody's curious. Sleeves were a tad long and I'll need them shortened, but the rest of the body seemed to fit nice and trim.

I also grabbed these Aldo "Mr. B's" Blake boots in dark brown. Styleforum seems to like them for the price. Aldo isn't well-regarded but this is some kind of "diffusion" line and the general impressions are positive. Took a look at some of this line in-store and the leather looks really good for the price, supposedly they aren't using corrected-grain. Ordered online because they didn't have my size (13D, 13E or 14D depending on sizing, Bigfoot jokes go here).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any suggestions for good work polos that aren't going to cost me a ton? Looking to order some online and want a better fit. I have a few Tommy ones that actually fit decently, but all my others are department store polos and fit in length, but are very baggy under the arms.

TxdoHawk

Any suggestions for good work polos that aren't going to cost me a ton? Looking to order some online and want a better fit. I have a few Tommy ones that actually fit decently, but all my others are department store polos and fit in length, but are very baggy under the arms.

Sizing is wacky (runs a bit large, most will probably want to size down 1 for a decent trim fit) so you will want to try on in-store, but have you tried Target? The Merona polos aren't the most amazing polos on Earth but nice for the price, in my opinion, and seem to have held up well after a few washes.

Am I the only one who thinks that polos should never have been allowed under "business casual"? To my eye they look out of place when worn tucked into casual dress pants (the flat front and low beltline looks pretty unflattering).

For officewear, yeah, it's a bit too casual. In certain environments it can work, though, I wear a ton of them during the summer (field service, IT), I think they look ten times better than short-sleeve button-downs. I don't tuck them in though, that just seems ridiculous.

Am I the only one who thinks that polos should never have been allowed under "business casual"? To my eye they look out of place when worn tucked into casual dress pants (the flat front and low beltline looks pretty unflattering).

Enron

Banned
You will take my polo from my cold, dead hands, sir.

Wearing a long sleeve shirt to the office in a Georgia summer? NO.

You will take my polo from my cold, dead hands, sir.

Wearing a long sleeve shirt to the office in a Georgia summer? NO.

I lived in Alabama and never wore polos to the office.

It's an air conditioned office, your walk to and from the car isn't so bad that you need to go without sleeves. Besides, a lightweight dress shirt with buttons down and sleeves up is a lot cooler than a polo.

Enron

Banned

It's an air conditioned office, your walk to and from the car isn't so bad that you need to go without sleeves. Besides, a lightweight dress shirt with buttons down and sleeves up is a lot cooler than a polo.

Go to lunch, go outside for a few, stop by somewhere on your way home, you don't just spend all your time in an air-conditioned office and a car, you know. Why endure uncomfort if you don't have to? It's not like wearing a polo is like wearing a tshirt.

TxdoHawk

To those of you who have a Sears with a built-in Lands' End Canvas near you, all the B&M stores apparently have racks of clothes at $6.99 fire sale prices. Mine had a few belts, corduroy pants, and an assortment of chinos, with a few random shirts thrown in. Nothing in my size, but my sizes are weird and there was a lot of selection, so you are likely to be luckier than I am. Apparently some stores have shoes at this price point too. Definitely worth a look.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I am not a fan of dressing up for work coming from a start up tech company where we could wear jeans/t-shirts, so a polo and khakis is the lesser evil to me as I now work for a "traditional" company. Heck, we barely got the "jeans on Friday" bonus in place.

Besides, I can never get button downs to look good on me. They all seem to have too much fabric after you tuck them in and pull the bottom out a bit. Drives me insane.

Hence the fabled sport shirt of Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren. Classy, dressy, but still comfortable.
Besides, I can never get button downs to look good on me. They all seem to have too much fabric after you tuck them in and pull the bottom out a bit. Drives me insane.
Try the slim-cut shirts. Way better. Sport shirts are also great, too.

Long time thread lurker. I've been trying to rebuild my wardrobe since the winter but man, this shit can get pretty expensive. I guess it's a good thing that I'm such a workaholic (as a line cook), that I don't get to go out and show off too much. Anyway, some recent cops:

Grey Oxford Plimsolls $15 off ASOS
Op1mzl.jpg

Black Chinos $20 off JackThreads
ac6q2.jpg

Komono Watch (my first decent watch) $75 off TwistedTime
HAzDT.jpg

Comments and critiques? Be gentle I'm new to this.

Anybody know of good methods of translating Japanese online? I'm trying to browse some Japanese websites and can't really understand anything.

dont know if these are regular deals today, codes are on the websites:

banana republic - 30% off your entire order (online only)
GAP - 25% off your entire order (online only)
both are free shipping if your order is >$50 USD.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Pretty sure Banana Republic is having a 30% off sale every Tuesday and 40% off in store only sale every Wednesday this month.

I'm 24 years old, and since about middle-school I've worn nothing but black. Button-up shirts and dress pants are my every day attire. I'm not gothic---I think I just grew to enjoy the plain look and it was easy to match. Anywho...summer is rolling around and I'm wanting to bust out of my shell a little and try some new clothes. I'm a pale ginger, kinda lanky, so I'm always a little paranoid of showing off my arms...but screw it. Time to get comfy in my body. I'm digging JackThreads so far, but everything I've liked is only available in Large or greater.

lenovox1

I'm 24 years old, and since about middle-school I've worn nothing but black. Button-up shirts and dress pants are my every day attire. I'm not gothic---I think I just grew to enjoy the plain look and it was easy to match. Anywho...summer is rolling around and I'm wanting to bust out of my shell a little and try some new clothes. I'm a pale ginger, kinda lanky, so I'm always a little paranoid of showing off my arms...but screw it. Time to get comfy in my body. I'm digging JackThreads so far, but everything I've liked is only available in Large or greater.

You'd probably look best in jewel tones, earth tones, slate, navy, and saturated reds. Grassy or emerald green is always a safe choice for red heads.

Avoid some purples, pastelly pinks, black (washes you out, but you already know that), or white (makes you blend in to the scenery). Happy shopping! :)

B-Ri

They still have it there- $80. Saw it in both the SoHo and 34th stores this past week. Just make sure you size down (I'm 6'0, 150lbs and had to get a XS).

Alternatively, you can call them up and see if they can do a phone order for you: 1-877-486-4756

OR

Try using Suddenlee. Someone will go out to Uniqlo and buy the item, ship it to you:
http://putthison.com/post/20065508253/how-does-suddenlee-work-after-my-post-on-monday

UPDATE:

My cousin didnt find it at one Uniqlo store,

BUT HE FOUND IT IN THE OTHER ON SALE!!!!!

But he said the green one wasnt as nice in person, so he got me the beige instead!

bob page

UPDATE:

My cousin didnt find it at one Uniqlo store,

BUT HE FOUND IT IN THE OTHER ON SALE!!!!!

But he said the green one wasnt as nice in person, so he got me the beige instead!
How much was it on sale for? Maybe I can still get mine price matched.

GAF stylists, I need your help. By which I mean, I need new pants. I don't know much about fashion but I've pretty much always worn cargo pants because they're loose and comfortable and I don't like jeans. But I need new ones and I'm having trouble finding good fitting ones (all I find are skinny fit). I'm open to trying other kinds of pants, my main problem is that in general, clothes just aren't very comfortable on me so I've always gravitated toward somewhat loose clothing. What kinds of pants should I be looking for that look somewhat presentable and aren't hipster-skinny? This is mainly for daily, workplace use but my workplace is casual (jeans and T-shirt are common).

CFMOORE!

GAF stylists, I need your help. By which I mean, I need new pants. I don't know much about fashion but I've pretty much always worn cargo pants because they're loose and comfortable and I don't like jeans. But I need new ones and I'm having trouble finding good fitting ones (all I find are skinny fit). I'm open to trying other kinds of pants, my main problem is that in general, clothes just aren't very comfortable on me so I've always gravitated toward somewhat loose clothing. What kinds of pants should I be looking for that look somewhat presentable and aren't hipster-skinny? This is mainly for daily, workplace use but my workplace is casual (jeans and T-shirt are common).

what are you considering hipster skinny? mostly jeans can be found in pure painted on skinny. and if you hate jeans i assume you're looking at non-jeans, which usually aren't found in absurdly skinny cuts. can you show an online store example?

no matter what you want something fitted. if you want to look presentable, you're gonna have to ditch your love of loose fitting.

try to find simple cotton casual or dress pants (ie, no embellishments or cargo pockets) with about 5% stretch. They feel like pajamas, even if they are hipster slim. Go to a nicer dept store (nordstrom, macy's, bloomingdales, um, stuff like that) and ask for a sales dude's help.

Yami

UK fashion GAF - where do you guys shop?

Standard stroll through Oxford Street will get me through Topman, River Island, American Apparel, Bershka, Uniqlo, H&M, Zara, Vans and a bunch of independent shops like DropDead, Johnny Cupcakes and so on. ASOS and other independent labels online as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom