• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

McNei1y

I realised a few weeks ago that titles have no value in the WWE. There was a RAW where everyone who appeared on screen, bar maybe 2 wrestlers, had held either the WWE title or the World title.

You didn't realize the titles lack value when the IC and US champ are jobbing week after week to Cenas and Sheamuses a year ago? Cena title is the only one that matters and if you're somehow in a match with Cena, you've made it in this business!

But yeah, their crazy amount of titles is the only thing they use to create feuds. It's like they don't have the creativity for story driven feuds anymore! lol

You didn't realize the titles lack value when the IC and US champ are jobbing week after week to Cenas and Sheamuses a year ago? Cena title is the only one that matters and if you're somehow in a match with Cena, you've made it in this business!

But yeah, their crazy amount of titles is the only thing they use to create feuds. It's like they don't have the creativity for story driven feuds anymore! lol

In all honesty I forgot the IC title was even still around till last night.

McNei1y

In all honesty I forgot the IC title was even still around till last night.

Exactly. The writing is terrible. Barrett was all over the place for the last month and a half.

"Let's put him in a feud with Bo! Wait, let's switch Bo with Kofi! Nah, that's old news... let's just let him lose to Del Rio and Sheamus. Wow, that Sheamus match was good! Let's have Sheamus make fun of the IC title holder and potentially create a feud! Nevermind, Sheamus has to bury the Shield at WM. We'll just place our favorite jobber Miz in a match against Barrett."

idwECCjPk40Qo.gif

Good lord, what an armdrag!

Exactly. The writing is terrible. Barrett was all over the place for the last month and a half.

"Let's put him in a feud with Bo! Wait, let's switch Bo with Kofi! Nah, that's old news... let's just let him lose to Del Rio and Sheamus. Wow, that Sheamus match was good! Let's have Sheamus make fun of the IC title holder and potentially create a feud! Nevermind, Sheamus has to bury the Shield at WM. We'll just place our favorite jobber Miz in a match against Barrett."

The only barrage Barrett has been involved with is the bevy of poor booking he's had to eat in order to stay with the company.

If the WWE started using the titles as titles instead of fashion accessories and used them sparingly by next week, they might be able to restore prestige to the championships by 2018 or something.

SousedLouse said:
If the WWE started using the titles as titles instead of fashion accessories and used them sparingly by next week, they might be able to restore prestige to the championships by 2018 or something.

This is the biggest problem in WWE, to my mind. There's just no credibility to any of the titles, so what's the point in having them? They're only there to cover for creative's inability to write a proper feud for more than a handful of wrestlers at once. Getting a mid-card title nowadays seems to mean you'll be jobbing to lukewarm main-eventers when creative don't have a decent feud for you, with the promise that you too could be a lukewarm main eventer the fans barely give a crap about in a year or two. Perhaps if they did a better job of building their mid-card guys up to be something special before they're in the main event scene, then there wouldn't be so many lukewarm main-eventers.

Good lord, what an armdrag!

I know, right? Goddamn picture perfect.

Aiii

So not worth it
I like what they're doing with Bo.

He's now the guy that hangs out with Alex Riley and calls for help when he's attacked backstage (which happens alot, lets face it)... He's like Yoshi Tatsu, but with longer hair and better pronounciation.

McNei1y

It was funny when Jericho compared his nine IC title reigns to Barrett's two. The IC meant something back then. Now, it just means you've jobbed for an extensive period of time - twice. Barrett really could be a threat but they need to stop writing him in this manner. I think he's great on the mic. I like his ring work too.

Remember when we had feuds like Rikishi vs Val Venis in a freaking cage match? There was nothing on the line except pride in their feud. It was awesome.

jred2k

Somebody call the amBOlance!

It was funny when Jericho compared his nine IC title reigns to Barrett's two. The IC meant something back then. Now, it just means you've jobbed for an extensive period of time - twice. Barrett really could be a threat but they need to stop writing him in this manner. I think he's great on the mic. I like his ring work too.

Remember when we had feuds like Rikishi vs Val Venis in a freaking cage match? There was nothing on the line except pride in their feud. It was awesome.

Its crazy they used to be able to get people excited for matches and characters like that with less time every week. Its really starting to feel like they just have to fill way too much time each week and thats why we end up getting these shitty Barrett/Shaemus two week feuds that go no where.

Its crazy they used to be able to get people excited for matches and characters like that with less time every week. Its really starting to feel like they just have to fill way too much time each week and thats why we end up getting these shitty Barrett/Shaemus two week feuds that go no where.

And yet seemingly their best shows are the 1 hour shows that very few people get to watch! :(

Oddduck

I'm wondering if at Wrestlemania, all of D-Generation will come in and beat the shit out of Brock Lesnar.

The reason I bring this up is because you had Brock Lesnar beat the crap out of Shawn Michaels. Then you had him beat the crap out of the New Age Outlaws.

And 5 days ago, X-Pac signed a WWE legends contract: http://www.examiner.com/article/sean-waltman-signs-wwe-legends-contract

Which seems like interesting timing if you ask me.

I feel like they're setting something up here with DX and Triple H/Brock Lesnar's storyline for Wrestlemania.

Not neccessarily a "real" DX reunion, but possibly have DX play a bigger role in this storyline.

Alucard

Banned
Would it be possible to get a list of how many guys were on the roster in the 90s versus how many guys are on the roster now? Could it be that there are just too many guys to fit into a 3-hour show?

Penguin

I'm wondering if at Wrestlemania, all of D-Generation will come in and beat the shit out of Brock Lesnar.

The reason I bring this up is because you had Brock Lesnar beat the crap out of Shawn Michaels. Then you had him beat the crap out of the New Age Outlaws.

And 5 days ago, X-Pac signed a WWE legends contract: http://www.examiner.com/article/sean-waltman-signs-wwe-legends-contract

I feel like they're setting something up here with DX and Triple H/Brock Lesnar's storyline for Wrestlemania.

Not neccessarily a "real" DX reunion, but possibly have DX play a bigger role in this storyline.

They should have him visit Scott Hall in rehab with a 6-pack

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got a new set of the best All Japan matches of the 80's, first match on there is Jumbo Tsuruta vs Dick Murdoch and holy crap, this match is awesome. They start off trading arm takedowns before Jumbo gains the upper hand. He does this cool spot where he just picks Murdoch up by his arm and flings him across the ring, before hitting some nice armdrags. Murdoch scores with one of his own before leaping in the air with a flying head-scissors takedown! Wow. Murdoch keeps Jumbo's head trapped and they do the headstand escape spot, except Murdoch lifts Jumbo and piledrives him back down! Jumbo tries to roll through for a pin, but Murdoch keeps hold of his head until Jumbo manages to force Murdoch's knees apart and free himself. He gets a wrist lock, but Murdoch sucker-punches him and shoots him off the ropes, only for Jumbo to hit a beautiful armdrag, going straight back to the armbar. Murdoch gets to his feet and Jumbo transitions to a headlock, Murdoch shoots him into the ropes, leapfrogs twice and eats a BIG jumping knee from Jumbo! He locks in the armbar, but Murdoch forces his way out before going for a powerbomb, but he can't get Jumbo off his feet, so releases him and shakes the man's hand. Murdoch gets a quick takedown into a headlock, Jumbo escapes and runs the ropes and then they do a nice sequence, trading abdominal stretches. Murdoch turns it into a Boston Crab and wrenches back, but Jumbo manages to roll out. Murdoch follows up with a bodyslam and elbow drop for a near-fall, a backbreaker and big shoulder breaker for another, before hitting a proper old-school brainbuster for the 3-count at just over 17 minutes! Great match, some nice mat wrestling and it told a good story as the veteran Murdoch has to twice change his strategy to adapt to Jumbo's skill.

Murdoch is so good, such a sound actual WRESTLER (let's face it, you had to be back then anyhow) - he was really great. I spent a lot of time watching him and The American Dweem, Duddy Road wrestle together. Lots of very old school but very effective wrestling psychology in it. Really great stuff.

McNei1y

When Sun was airing the Royal Rumbles over the years back on Christmas Eve, the opening match of the PPV was NAO and X-Pac vs Jeff Jarrett and two other dudes. It was a pretty awesome match. There was nothing on the line but I'm sure the two teams had some serious beef leading up to the match in the weeks prior. At least most of them did.

And the crowd was FIRE back then. I knew it was good but I really forgot after seeing the crowds nowadays.

Would it be possible to get a list of how many guys were on the roster in the 90s versus how many guys are on the roster now? Could it be that there are just too many guys to fit into a 3-hour show?

The late 90s-early 00's roster was much, MUCH larger than the current roster. That's one of the reasons why they eventually split the roster into two brands via the "draft" and what not.

Alucard

Banned
When Sun was airing the Royal Rumbles over the years back on Christmas Eve, the opening match of the PPV was NAO and X-Pac vs Jeff Jarrett and two other dudes. It was a pretty awesome match. There was nothing on the line but I'm sure the two teams had some serious beef leading up to the match in the weeks prior. At least most of them did.

And the crowd was FIRE back then. I knew it was good but I really forgot after seeing the crowds nowadays.

The late 90s-early 00's roster was much, MUCH larger than the current roster. That's one of the reasons why they eventually split the roster into two brands via the "draft" and what not.

If that's the case then there really is no excuse for Raw to overrun by 15 minutes despite having a 3-hour time slot.

Dthomp

I think the WWE product could be much better if they let their performers speak once and a while. I get some aren't very good, but how is Kofi supposed to get better when he is never allowed to talk? The old days had many more opportunities for wrestlers to speak, whether interviews backstage or coming out with a microphone. That is the one thing I'd give TNA and edge in, as far as letting their guys improve by doing and not burying.

Guzim

Is X-Pac even allowed to wrestle due to him having Hep C?

They should have him visit Scott Hall in rehab with a 6-pack
Hahaha, that's messed up Penguin!

Alucard

Banned
I missed Raw last night.....and I'm ok with that.

It's freeing, isn't it? I've been missing Raw on a consistent basis for about 3 months now. I tune in every 2-3 weeks for an hour, sometimes two, just to see if anything has changed. Most of the time, I regret coming back and watching. It's almost better to just read about it or listen to youtube reviews of the show. That way, you can just track down the good stuff another time.

Cagey

Banned

It takes so little effort to have feuds each week. I spent 30 seconds a couple weeks ago writing two sentences about the inevitable Brodus v. Tensai breakup. 30 seconds. That's it.

RAW is three hours long. 5-7 minutes each week is more than enough to start telling multiple undercard stories. All it takes is dedication to doing it each week.

So frustrating.

McNei1y

If that's the case then there really is no excuse for Raw to overrun by 15 minutes despite having a 3-hour time slot.

WWE's expanded time slot is stupid because now they just fill in 30 minutes of it with advertisements and Triple H promos. But hell, I'd take this because it's better than it was about 8 months ago when matches were 2-3 minutes long and were all squash matches. Now we only get about 2 of those a week! It really is a shame though. That's why I've been DVR'ing the show and watching at 9:30 rather than 8.

Kaladin

It's freeing, isn't it? I've been missing Raw on a consistent basis for about 3 months now. I tune in every 2-3 weeks for an hour, sometimes two, just to see if anything has changed. Most of the time, I regret coming back and watching. It's almost better to just read about it or listen to youtube reviews of the show. That way, you can just track down the good stuff another time.

I'm leaning toward NXT being the only thing I watch regularly. I don't know, we'll see.

jred2k

I think the WWE product could be much better if they let their performers speak once and a while. I get some aren't very good, but how is Kofi supposed to get better when he is never allowed to talk? The old days had many more opportunities for wrestlers to speak, whether interviews backstage or coming out with a microphone. That is the one thing I'd give TNA and edge in, as far as letting their guys improve by doing and not burying.

I'm hoping that they are kind of moving towards this with the pop-up promos they've been bring back a bit with Cesaro last week and Del Rio last night. It could be a good way to build some characters and giving the performer a little breathing room to do a re-take or change some lines, etc. Its gotta be fucking daunting for anyone to go out in front of 10,000+ people and try to practice something. When the crowds are so dead its impossible to gain any confidence either. They've got the live events to work some off this stuff out, but they can never truly recreate the pressure of live TV without just going for it.

Aiii

So not worth it
I wish Zeb and Swagger were more racist. They're way too toned down now, they're never going to get heat unless they start to hunt Mexicans at the Texan Border.

Alucard

Banned
I'd love more pre-recorded promos like the ones we had in the 80s and early 90s. Just a few examples:

Big Boss Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEoecnzK6Qs

Rick Rude and Demolition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q77WVAdvkNg

They just take one or two minutes, they sell the character, and they sell the feud. It's so simple.

And how come nobody does the "intense yelling" promo? See: The Legion of Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWPhKGYrFm4

-----

Bonus: Ultimate Warrior blocking the camera and making weird faces while listening to LOD and Texas Tornado: https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=6Ex7AVXznjo&feature=endscreen

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Possible, there is always something to bring me back, but I dunno about this time. I kinda just wanna FF through the next five years of WWE.

It's nice not watching WWE shows. I'll pop in for a PPV every once in a while but missing the main show and catching highlights frees up more time for me to watch classic international wrestling as well as new NJPW.

How much would it hurt Cena or Sheamus to lose to Barret or Cody or Cesaro sometimes... Even Punk and Orton are ok with losing and putting people over.

Them again when Punk loses, the Internet Wrestling Fanbase (aka WrassleGAF) goes on 'BURIED' mode. :p Maybe that's why.

Still, Cena is already at a point where a loss wouldn't hurt him, maybe right now he shouldn't lose because he IS going to Wrestlemania against Rock, but any-other time, why does he ALWAYS have to 'OVERCOME THE ODDS OMG CENA NEVER DOES THAT GUYS!'

I'd love more pre-recorded promos like the ones we had in the 80s and early 90s. Just a few examples:

Big Boss Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEoecnzK6Qs

Rick Rude and Demolition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q77WVAdvkNg

They just take one or two minutes, they sell the character, and they sell the feud. It's so simple.

They're so unrealistic though. I know it's wrestling and all but the audience isn't the same as it was back then. It's hard to do backstage things like that and not have it seem cheesy and dated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Having a really tough time at work fighting a donut craving. Someone's birthday is today and there's shitloads of these HUGE donuts with bavarian cream. Basically my favorite thing ever. I almost took one. They're just sitting there in the break room all day. Lonely.

FUCK!

I dunno how I'll get through today. Willpower. I gotta keep my self-control.

Having a really tough time at work fighting a donut craving. Someone's birthday is today and there's shitloads of these HUGE donuts with bavarian cream. Basically my favorite thing ever. I almost took one. They're just sitting there in the break room all day. Lonely.

FUCK!

Drink coffee and focus on work and wrestling.

How much would it hurt Cena or Sheamus to lose to Barret or Cody or Cesaro sometimes... Even Punk and Orton are ok with losing and putting people over.

Them again when Punk loses, the Internet Wrestling Fanbase (aka WrassleGAF) goes on 'BURIED' mode. :p Maybe that's why.

Still, Cena is already at a point where a loss wouldn't hurt him, maybe right now he shouldn't lose because he IS going to Wrestlemania against Rock, but any-other time, why does he ALWAYS have to 'OVERCOME THE ODDS OMG CENA NEVER DOES THAT GUYS!'

look at Lesnar. first thing after he comes back? loses to Cena. still over as fuck.

the kayfabe around Cena is crazy. he's the pure, stand-up guy who can only lose when a clusterfuck happens. at this point he's worse than Hogan.

but behind that, he comes across as a mark for himself, which is the worst thing a worker can be.

Alucard

Banned

FUCK!

Just think about running outdoors and how good you'll eventually feel by resisting.

Aiii

So not worth it

FUCK!

Just eat a donut man, or two. Have two, I bet they taste amazing!

Alucard

Banned
They're so unrealistic though. I know it's wrestling and all but the audience isn't the same as it was back then. It's hard to do backstage things like that and not have it seem cheesy and dated.

I don't think they have to feel that way at all, though. If you don't want to do the whole cheesy backdrop, you can have the guys hanging out on a set of stairs somewhere, or outdoors. It's wrestling. It's hyperbolic theatre.

Plus, keep in mind that the key to maintaining wrestling's success is to constantly appeal to younger generations. I loved watching colourful characters get all pumped and psyched before a match while they told me how they were going to squash the other guy.

I'd rather have pre-taped backstage promos that get over what needs to be gotten over in the space of a couple of minutes, than rambling, time wasting in-ring promos that go on FOR AN AGE.

Also, is anyone else sick of main events matches being booked in the opening segment of the show? Shit is ridiculous. Vicky & Booker basically turn up to work with no idea what their main events are going to be and then just hope a face and a heel will start arguing in front of the crowd so they can go out there and make a match. I know, I know, looking for logic in wrestling is a foolish endeavour, but it just seems so silly to me.

Top Bottom