• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

McNei1y

I know everyone harps on the "Once in a Lifetime" tagline from Rock/Cena feud last year

But what about the "End of an Era" Triple H and Undertaker are both wrestling this year anyhow.. so what was the end of the era.. HBK's ref stint?

The end of taglines meaning something era.

zychi

Banned
Only because it's Australia and they show NXT there.

I don't see why they don't do more to promote NXT in the US, put some recaps on Raw, Smackdown or even Main Event ffs. Have Big E wear his NXT Title while he stands around waiting for AJ to tell him to hit someone.

At least then you can generate some interest for the program while you try to sell it to a network and even get Hulu some customers as well.

I have a friend who only watches Raw, he's not from the US, but he lives here now, he had no idea what NXT, Main Event or Saturday Morning Slam is. He skips Smackdown because "none of the big names ever show up."

He doesn't care about dirtsheets, he was honestly surprised Cena won the Rumble and Punk lost to the Rock. He's a great gauge of the actual WWE audience and not wrestling fans who watch WWE.

Penguin

I have a friend who only watches Raw, he's not from the US, but he lives here now, he had no idea what NXT, Main Event or Saturday Morning Slam is. He skips Smackdown because "none of the big names ever show up."

He doesn't care about dirtsheets, he was honestly surprised Cena won the Rumble and Punk lost to the Rock. He's a great gauge of the actual WWE audience and not wrestling fans who watch WWE.

SmackDown has been put in a weird place since the Supershow Raws since all of Smackdown's talent shows up on Raw, but none of Raw's talent shows up on Smackdown.

So I just finished watching the HoF with Drew Carey haha, wow he did not get a very good reception.

I almost felt sorry for him. Yikes. O_O

Did they all just agree before hand "F**K THIS GUY, RIGHT?" :lol

Why he was there I'll never know, but Vince is gonna Vince, I don't agree with it I think if they have to have them there are other celebs way more deserving but maaan, hostile as environment lol, like I said I started feeling sorry for him even though I agreed with the ones doing the hostilities.

Alucard

Banned

The more ignorant you are of something, the less critical you are of it, and the more you honestly enjoy life. The more you're aware of something and can take it apart, the less enjoyment you get out of it. The Internet has had a detrimental effect on wrestling due to this.

F4W are reporting that WWE wants to beef up the Divas Division but backed off the idea of bringing any of the NXT girls up to the main roster. They've reportedly spoke to Divas who left in the past couple of years and offered them more money than they were on previously to return, which is why the Bellas returned on RAW last night.

I'm OK with this - Paige has talent, but it's worthless bringing her up without someone good to work with (like Natayla, if only she were more than a valet for Khali nowadays). Hopefully they can convince Kharma to come back.

Alucard

Banned
F4W are reporting that WWE wants to beef up the Divas Division but backed off the idea of bringing any of the NXT girls up to the main roster. They've reportedly spoke to Divas who left in the past couple of years and offered them more money than they were on previously to return, which is why the Bellas returned on RAW last night.

I'm OK with this - Paige has talent, but it's worthless bringing her up without someone good to work with (like Natayla, if only she were more than a valet for Khali nowadays). Hopefully they can convince Kharma to come back.

It's funny that you believe WWE will actually take the women's division seriously.

McNei1y

The more ignorant you are of something, the less critical you are of it, and the more you honestly enjoy life. The more you're aware of something and can take it apart, the less enjoyment you get out of it. The Internet has had a detrimental effect on wrestling due to this.

True.

I just wish they had better writing and direction. Mostly everyone enjoyed the turn of the century wrestling. They should aim to please everyone!

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
1. Stop calling them Divas
2. Get rid of the butterfly belt
3. Get rid of most of the division
4. Give them 45 seconds instead of the 30 they usually get.

Natalya/AJ vs kaitlyn could be an awesome mania match. But we will get stuck with a battle royal.

Also I was under the impression that pair was too young to be on tv.

It's funny that you believe WWE will actually take the women's division seriously.

The fact that they're looking to boost the numbers in the Divas division at least shows they're doing something. I'd just be happy with matches that went at least 5 minutes, but not with some of the dead weight on the roster (and to be fair, the Bellas aren't going to help much there).

jred2k

Cena can't be trusted lol, N Bella is back to keep an eye on him.

Needs D-Bry to be a good influence on him.

Whoo Bellas are back! :D

She came back to market those WrestleMania chairs. Now you too can experience the positive effects of siting on John Cena's face!

jmdajr

Bella's looked amazing yesterday.

I feel bad that the Divas division is suffering, and the wrestling is not good...

Yet I feel good in other... er.. places.

Um.. where is Maryse

Aiii

So not worth it
AJ vs. Natalya on SMS once again showed that you could easily have a decent women's division in WWE, but they don't care and never will care.

Women's wrestling is a waste of time unless you can make money from sexualising then.

Nope.

ibnWXPVADapWDP.gif

Women's wrestling can be just as good as men's wrestling, given the right performers and a willingness to promote them as more than just pretty faces.

jmdajr

Nope.

ibnWXPVADapWDP.gif

Women's wrestling can be just as good as men's wrestling, given the right performers and a willingness to promote them as more than just pretty faces.

But what draws more money?

Yeah I realize that Trish/Lita was awesome...but those women were smoking hot.

What about Karma? Well it probbaly only worked because she was destroying Barbie dolls.

Not to be mean, but I don't see how much money you can draw from fugly women wrestling, no matter how talented they are. There has to be sex appeal to a degree.

I mean look at mma women fighters. What's the main attraction?

meh_zps4ef60bb6.jpg
Rousey-1_zps9d7bda56.jpg

Dthomp

I'm hoping that they are kind of moving towards this with the pop-up promos they've been bring back a bit with Cesaro last week and Del Rio last night. It could be a good way to build some characters and giving the performer a little breathing room to do a re-take or change some lines, etc. Its gotta be fucking daunting for anyone to go out in front of 10,000+ people and try to practice something. When the crowds are so dead its impossible to gain any confidence either. They've got the live events to work some off this stuff out, but they can never truly recreate the pressure of live TV without just going for it.

Yeah, here's hoping on that one. I think it would go wonders to getting us involved in other wrestlers and wouldn't have to hope for all these Indy signings to get people we know. I mean look at the Attitude Era with the sheer amount of midcarders who would get TV time to talk or have a segment to help build loyalty to the superstar. Guys that were pretty over like Val Venis, Godfather, Rikishi them types would have an almost impossible time getting over in todays WWE without the chance to be themselves out there.

Some of these guys we currently have could be much better off with just the chance to develop a personality. I want a reason to give a crap about Kofi but they don't give me any reason as is. Let guys that clearly have personality like Barrett and Cesaro do more then just job to lesser talent, and for the love of god stop with pushing guys like Ryberg who can't talk continue to do so. They had a chance to do something with him after the rumble and just kind of went "meh" and threw Mark Henry at him, instead of giving him a mouthpiece like Swagger got. All those Bobby Heenan interviews that got posted make me really in the mood for some managers/valets

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hell by the late 90's most of the ugly male wrestlers were gone from the big promotions.

Most of the wrestlers today are at least TV hot if not movie hot.

bangai-o

Banned

haha. Maryse was like "nope."

strobogo

Banned
I'd like to let you guys know that ADR actually did get a good reaction when he came out and when he won. Dolph for real might have had the smallest reaction of anyone. Fandango got more of a reaction. El Hijo de Perfecto and JTG got bigger reactions.

jmdajr

I'd like to let you guys know that ADR actually did get a good reaction when he came out and when he won. Dolph for real might have had the smallest reaction of anyone. Fandango got more of a reaction. El Hijo de Perfecto and JTG got bigger reactions.

lol

Not to be mean, but I don't see how much money you can draw from fugly women wrestling, no matter how talented they are. There has to be sex appeal to a degree.

Sure, there has to be a mixture of talent and looks, just like with men's wrestling, but just like with men's wrestling there is definitely a place for the tough & ugly bruiser-type in women's wrestling.

AJW is the most successful women's wrestling promotion of all time and they did it with a formula of tough, nasty heavyweights beating the crap out of the cute and innocent young starlets, but the difference was that they had talent across the board and those same girls who were making a killing for AJW selling sexy photoshoots and videos could kick ass in the ring and were given the opportunity to do so.

jmdajr said:

Do the Divas actually draw money in their current state? They're there to check a box, because at some level WWE recognise that having women wrestling, having them as role models for a younger audience (as well as eye candy for an older audience), is beneficial to the product. But I wouldn't say they're an actual draw, so what's the harm in at least trying to present women's wrestling as a credible part of the show, rather than an afterthought?

Nope.

ibnWXPVADapWDP.gif

Do you happen to know what match that's from. Been watching a ton of Hokuto 93 stuff, such a ridiculous year for her. I feel I should try to watch everything else she did next.

Alucard

Banned

Yeah I realize that Trish/Lita was awesome...but those women were smoking hot.

What about Karma? Well it probbaly only worked because she was destroying Barbie dolls.

I mean look at mma women fighters. What's the main attraction?

meh_zps4ef60bb6.jpg
Rousey-1_zps9d7bda56.jpg

Given their money and visibility, WWE could be a leader in empowering women, but they choose to do nothing but slut shame, sexualize, and demean females. I love a good-looking woman, but when the collateral damage left behind this approach is male fans chanting "slut," "whore," and "bitch" from ring side due to the fact they're angry at women for rejecting them in their lives, there's a problem.

Alucard

Banned
Plus, if you're going to go all stereotypical with women, why not do jealousy storylines? Why not do relationships and cheating? Why not have a couple of "bullies" who are angry and jealous of the good-looking ones? Why not go down that route and then have one of the bullies turn face when they break down and talk about their insecurities, and are then taught about their inner strength and beauty by one of the other faces?

There's a lot of potential if creative would stop slobbering at the tight asses in the dressing room.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Plus, if you're going to go all stereotypical with women, why not do jealousy storylines? Why not do relationships and cheating? Why not have a couple of "bullies" who are angry and jealous of the good-looking ones? Why not go down that route and then have one of the bullies turn face when they break down and talk about their insecurities, and are then taught about their inner strength and beauty by one of the other faces?

There's a lot of potential if creative would stop slobbering at the tight asses in the dressing room.

But then you have bad statements like

I'm sure they're sexualised on the road if you know what I mean.

Can someone just recap what was so bad about the Maddox segment last night? Heard stuff about it being awkward and horrible but can't find a decent recap of it.

jred2k

B A STAR.

That reminds me of how much more Layla was on TV when they were doing fundraising for breast cancer. Feels kind of gross, really.

Top Bottom