• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Aiii

So not worth it
iKZFYPPHq0wOg.jpg

John Cena's and Darren Young are the future.

somedevil

Raw Viewers for 3/11/13:

8pm: 4.98
9pm: 4.89
10pm: 4.57

Avg: 4.81 down 200,000 viewers from last week.

Great rating for a show with no Rock or Cena on it.

strobogo

Banned
So, I guess it's lucky they have Adam Cole, then. Because he's the future.

They still had Danielson up until 2009

I meant new guys that they established since 2005. Everyone that WWE picked up was well established before 2005 or really made their names in other promotions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yessss, night 1 on the New Japan Cup is incoming shortly!

yesyesyes!Can't wait, I kind of DONT want to know any results ahead of time but they'll be impossible to ignore. SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

I meant new guys that they established since 2005. Everyone that WWE picked up was well established before 2005 or really made their names in other promotions.

Tyler Black? IWA-MS got him noticed on an indy level, but ROH had a huge part in making him the wrestler he is today.

Sunflower said:
yesyesyes!Can't wait, I kind of DONT want to know any results ahead of time but they'll be impossible to ignore. SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

I'm watching it now, shit is awesome - Kojima/Ishii and Tenzan/Anderson have both been great so far. Should be up in half hour or so, I'll post the playlist link in here :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching it now, shit is awesome - Kojima/Ishii and Tenzan/Anderson have both been great so far. Should be up in half hour or so, I'll post the playlist link in here :)

My night is SET then! I'm guessing Ishii over Kojima and Anderson over Tenzan. Wait, maybe Tenzan will...no. No, gotta be Anderson.

PWG has probably done more for Adam Cole than ROH.

There's no probably about it, PWG have shown a lot of faith in him and he's done some of his best work, both in-ring and on the mic, for PWG - that being said, ROH obviously put a lot of stock in him and this feud with Matt Hardy should be the catalyst to take him to the next level with the company. If he sticks around long enough in ROH, I've no doubt he'll be World Champ at some point.

Kaladin

There's no probably about it, PWG have shown a lot of faith in him and he's done some of his best work, both in-ring and on the mic, for PWG - that being said, ROH obviously put a lot of stock in him and this feud with Matt Hardy should be the catalyst to take him to the next level with the company. If he sticks around long enough in ROH, I've no doubt he'll be World Champ at some point.

That's why I said probably. His feud with Matt Hardy is the first I have heard of him in a major feud vs a former WWE name, so that should say something to WWE or TNA recruiters.

Aiii

So not worth it
Worst: The Announce Team, All Night Long

I’ve got this thing I do where I multitask during Raw and randomly yell things at my television. I’ll be doing dishes or whatever and Jerry Lawler will say something like “AJ Lee had a boyfriend before Dolph Ziggler, right? What a whore!” and I’ll yell F**K OFF JERRY LAWLER “at” the television while staring into the bowels of my dishwasher.

Last night I did that WAY TOO MUCH. The announce team was spectacularly bad, reaching Heel Michael Cole levels for maybe the first time since Cole cut it the hell out. Almost everything they said was counterproductive and stupid. Lawler’s baiting of AJ for absolutely no reason continues to be infuriating, but it didn’t stop there. Listen to him and Cole cackle to themselves about how bad the Highlight Reel segment was. Yeah guys, we know it’s bad, your job is to run damage control on ugly segments. Jim Ross would’ve just called it “bowling shoe ugly” in passing 10 minutes later and let it live or die on its own.

Better yet, listen to Lawler and Cole say that CM Punk interrupting the tribute to Paul Bearer is the most disrespectful thing he’s ever done. Hey Jerry Lawler, remember when Punk was straight-up making fun of your dead mother? Get some sincerity and context, you chuckling f**ks.

Read more: http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/03/the-best-and-worst-of-wwe-raw-31113/2#ixzz2NMazPPjp

I do this all the time. Spot on Stroud.

What is the last star ROH has "made"? Doesn't even have to be a homegrown one, just someone who became popular because of ROH. Elgin maybe?

Bootaaay, etc. - Can you identify this match and provide a video?

Bas Rutten was recently on Joe Rogan's podcast (at 47:30) talking about his first match for Inoki in the Tokyo Dome (NJPW?). Bas thought the guy took liberties with elbows in the corner so he knocked him out and made the ref slow count? lol I've gotta see this.

I can't find the match unfortunately, it used to be on youtube I'm sure and it was against Manabu Nakanishi (who is known for his stiff elbow strikes). Here's the listings for the show;

http://www.cagematch.de/?id=1&nr=42030

I did find his first two matches in Japan though, for shoot-style promotion BattlArts;

Bas Rutten vs Carl Malenko - (BattlArts 10/14/01)

Bas Rutten & Amir vs Alexander Otsuka & Carl Malenko - (BattlArts 10/26/01)

FallingEdge said:
What is the last star ROH has "made"? Doesn't even have to be a homegrown one, just someone who became popular because of ROH. Elgin maybe?

Yeah, Elgin is the most recent and notable, for sure. Before that, I'd say Kenny King gained a lot of notice thanks to ROH.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bootaaay, etc. - Can you identify this match and provide a video?

Bas Rutten was recently on Joe Rogan's podcast (at 47:30) talking about his first match for Inoki in the Tokyo Dome (NJPW?). Bas thought the guy took liberties with elbows in the corner so he knocked him out and made the ref slow count? lol I've gotta see this.

Also, here's something cool: MMA fan Daniel Bryan cornering Bas in Japan in 2002.

Don't fuck with Dutch Martial Artists.

Seriously, just ask Badr Hari when he's not in prison for trying to kill people.

Alucard

Banned
"Made in ROH":
Kenny King, Austin Aries, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Cassius Ohno/Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli/Antonio Cesaro, El Generico/next WWE jobber champ, Tyler Black/Seth Rollins.

Yes?

Heel

I can't find the match unfortunately, it used to be on youtube I'm sure and it was against Manabu Nakanishi (who is known for his stiff elbow strikes). Here's the listings for the show;

http://www.cagematch.de/?id=1&nr=42030

I did find his first two matches in Japan though, for shoot-style promotion BattlArts;

Bas Rutten vs Carl Malenko - (BattlArts 10/14/01)

Bas Rutten & Amir vs Alexander Otsuka & Carl Malenko - (BattlArts 10/26/01)

You're a star. Thanks friend.

Don't fuck with Dutch Martial Artists.

Seriously, just ask Badr Hari when he's not in prison for trying to kill people.

lol yeah really. Ever heard Bas do commentary on his old Pancrase fights? It's hilarious. What a badass.

Kaladin

I'd say ROH made Kevin Steen a big name, both with Steen/Generico and his current world title run. We have yet to see if Steen rises above the indies though, doubt he will.

"Made in ROH":
Kenny King, Austin Aries, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Cassius Ohno/Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli/Antonio Cesaro, El Generico/next WWE jobber champ, Tyler Black/Seth Rollins.

Yes?

I'm talking recently.

Aries, Bryan, Punk, and Joe were all during the glory years.

Hero/Castagnoli can be argued for or against.

Tyler Black is an ROH product but again, years ago. Same with King.

And there is no way in hell that Generico was made in ROH. PWG all the way.

Penguin

Oh man, Triple H told Paul Heyman on Twitter that he'll respond to him on Monday

Instead of responding to him with his answer now.

I found the WWE Champion!
tumblr_mjk9au2sQJ1rqjziuo1_500.png

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh man, Triple H told Paul Heyman on Twitter that he'll respond to him on Monday

Instead of responding to him with his answer now.

I found the WWE Champion!
tumblr_mjk9au2sQJ1rqjziuo1_500.png

Okay, I'm sold. The belt looks fucking amazing in this picture, it looks like a championship title now, not a toy. Well done WWE Design Team.

Castagnoli definitely got his break in ROH, but Hero I'd say was made more in IWA-MS & CZW. McGuinness was also made a star by his time in ROH.

Recently, Eddie Edwards is a good example - in the past five years he's gone from being in Davey's shadow to holding the ROH World Title, taking multiple tours of Japan and becoming one of the most stalwart guys on the indy scene in 2013.

Anyways, here we go;

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP 2013 - ROUND 1", 03/11/13
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j2o0

1. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Satoshi Kojima vs Tomohiro Ishii
2. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs Tama Tonga
3. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Toru Yano
4. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson
5. Special Six-Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley) vs Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi) & Captain New Japan
6. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
7. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki
8. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Kazuchika Okada vs Lance Archer
9. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

About to watch Nagata vs Suzuki, I expect it'll be all kinds of awesome.

Double C and Chris Hero were made in before ROH, when they were the Kings of Wrestling I would argue.

True, but I don't think Claudio was seen as much of a singles wrestler until his ROH run after the CZW invasion (although around the same time he was in a big feud with Hero in CHIKARA) - Hero, however, had those awesome feuds with Punk & Kingston earlier on in his career that kinda put him on the map.

strobogo said:
Eddie Edwards is boring as fuck, though.

No way, DojoBros are awesome! But yeah, Eddie has little in the way of personality - his matches are great though. Dude's always on point in PWG and I personally enjoyed his unexpected run with the ROH title, plus he's always gotten over well in NOAH.

Kaladin

Damn, my El Generico unmasked video was on the verge of going viral by the time WWE took it down. I finally got a look at the Youtube Analytics from it.

It was up for mere hours and was viewed 1,786 times....and around the world.

My only other video with high views is a live Street Sweeper Social Club video that has 4500+ views.

Aiii

So not worth it
Damn, my El Generico unmasked video was on the verge of going viral by the time WWE took it down. I finally got a look at the Youtube Analytics from it.

It was up for mere hours and was viewed 1,786 times....and around the world.

My only other video with high views is a live Street Sweeper Social Club video that has 4500+ views.

If it's views you want, upload Daniel Bryan or AJ YES-loops!

Aiii

So not worth it
The three camera-ready teen girls hail from all around the country. Kolby Koloff, the product of not one, but two preachers, is the most camera-friendly. The daughter of former professional wrestler Nikita Koloff (The Russian Nightmare!), Kolby has an angelic exterior—asking her older sister if blow jobs actually involving literal blowing—broken only by her perfect 16-year-old eyeroll. She employs that eyeroll while bristling against the insane rules of her mother Victoria, who makes her living giving teen-sex workshops, telling her students not to engage in “oral sex, finger sex, or backdoor sex” before marriage. All Kolby wants to do is date. That’s it. She’s not drinking, she’s not doing drugs, she’s not partying all night. She’s adorable, but she’s hardly noteworthy. Victoria, on the other hand, is a genuine piece of work, who gives Kolby’s potential paramour an application to fill out before he is allowed to even ask her daughter out on a date. Victoria is certainly the show’s most compelling character at the outset, if only because I want to see her say “penetration” as much as she can.

Preachers' Daughters debuts tonight on Lifetime at 10 p.m. Eastern.

Alucard

Banned
The belt looks very modern. I like it a lot. Can't wait until Daniel Bryan holds it for a while.

As for Kevin Steen, I've heard interviews where he says his biggest regret is never getting into shape. He could probably be further along in his career right now, but it sounds like he just might not have the physical discipline to really take that next step. Even Davey Richards has gone on record as saying that Steen gases easy.

I remember one of my bold predictions in 2007 was that Jimmy Rave hold the ROH World Title.

I was way off.

I kinda thought there were big things in store for Rave when he was feuding with McGuinness, but then he broke his jaw and missed a few months and they just forgot about him.

One of my predictions was that BJ Whitmer would win the title after the CZW feud, but that never panned out.

strobogo

Banned
No way, DojoBros are awesome! But yeah, Eddie has little in the way of personality - his matches are great though. Dude's always on point in PWG and I personally enjoyed his unexpected run with the ROH title, plus he's always gotten over well in NOAH.

No. Eddie sucks as a personality and as a wrestler. He's just as annoying as Davey. I also really disliked Future Shock in the few times I've seen them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Castagnoli definitely got his break in ROH, but Hero I'd say was made more in IWA-MS & CZW. McGuinness was also made a star by his time in ROH.

Recently, Eddie Edwards is a good example - in the past five years he's gone from being in Davey's shadow to holding the ROH World Title, taking multiple tours of Japan and becoming one of the most stalwart guys on the indy scene in 2013.

Anyways, here we go;

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP 2013 - ROUND 1", 03/11/13
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j2o0

1. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Satoshi Kojima vs Tomohiro Ishii
2. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs Tama Tonga
3. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Toru Yano
4. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson
5. Special Six-Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley) vs Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi) & Captain New Japan
6. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
7. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki
8. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Kazuchika Okada vs Lance Archer
9. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

About to watch Nagata vs Suzuki, I expect it'll be all kinds of awesome.

Thank you!! Watching now!

No. Eddie sucks as a personality and as a wrestler. He's just as annoying as Davey. I also really disliked Future Shock in the few times I've seen them.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. He got dragged down into the mess surrounding Davey's title run, but he's nowhere near as bad as Davey (who has actually been showing a lot more restraint in recent months). Also, I very much enjoyed his GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title shot against Kotaro Suzuki (even though I'm no big fan of Suzuki's);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySk7nVE9SUU

"sucks as a wrestler" is just ridiculous though.

Heel

Wow Bootaaay, this cagematch.de site is quite the time sink lol. Watching Terry Funk and Abdullah The Butcher fight for NJPW in 2010. Good lord.

Wow Bootaaay, this cagematch.de site is quite the time sink lol. Watching Terry Funk and Abdullah The Butcher fight for NJPW in 2010. Good lord.

Lol, I remember that. Not their finest hour, Butcher could barely do anything.

I found that show with the Bas Rutten match in my collection, btw. I'll rip it and upload the match in a few hours :)

Top Bottom