• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

McNei1y

Can someone just recap what was so bad about the Maddox segment last night? Heard stuff about it being awkward and horrible but can't find a decent recap of it.

The segment was terrible to begin with. Miz and Barrett kept going on about their movies and Jericho kept trying to interview them. Then everyone made constant references to a nonexistent set. Brad Maddox at least gave reason to the segment when he came out. He was creating a match between Miz and Jericho for a #1 contender shot. Maybe the match was supposed to be Miz and Barrett?

I think the awkward thing about it was the way he was talking when he should've just created the match. He also made a couple random jokes in there. I thought it all worked fine, TBH. I thought the real awkward thing was Cole and King talking over him.

jmdajr

Plus, if you're going to go all stereotypical with women, why not do jealousy storylines? Why not do relationships and cheating? Why not have a couple of "bullies" who are angry and jealous of the good-looking ones? Why not go down that route and then have one of the bullies turn face when they break down and talk about their insecurities, and are then taught about their inner strength and beauty by one of the other faces?

There's a lot of potential if creative would stop slobbering at the tight asses in the dressing room.

I feel that women in all sports are sexualized, not just sports entertainment. The Anna Kornokovas of the world are all famous because of it. I'm not saying they can't do a better job. Sure, there are a million things you can do, but in the end you can't get rid of the sex appeal. maybe it will be different when Vince is dead and Stephani has more say.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel that women in all sports are sexualized, not just sports entertainment. The Anna Kornokovas of the world are all famous because of it. I'm not saying they can't do a better job. Sure, there are a million things you can do, but in the end you can't get rid of the sex appeal.

Sometimes it just happens. Who was that incredible short-haired weightlifter at the Olympics? Man, she was something ELSE. And I don't think she was trying to be.

bangai-o

Banned
I feel that women in all sports are sexualized, not just sports entertainment. The Anna Kornokovas of the world are all famous because of it. I'm not saying they can't do a better job. Sure, there are a million things you can do, but in the end you can't get rid of the sex appeal. maybe it will be different when Vince is dead and Stephani has more say.

maybe sports are not actively pursuing sex appeal, instead everything is just normal in womens sports. When AJ wrestles, all those camera angles and arches are the same when Randy Orton wrestles.

jmdajr

Sometimes it just happens. Who was that incredible short-haired weightlifter at the Olympics? Man, she was something ELSE. And I don't think she was trying to be.

The Olympics were incredibly sexualized

michelle-jenneke_zps9dc1e6ea.gif

Alucard

Banned
As someone said, it's 2013. Sometimes, it seems like the WWE is stuck in 1950s domestic America with the women's division. Just be pretty, and only be faithful to one man ever.

Fuck off. Use our knowledge against us. You know there are angry men who can't wait to shout "slut" from the sidelines, so why not have a character who embraces that role and SAYS that it's not 1950 anymore, and CALLS OUT the hypocritical bullshit of the men either in the arena, or even the ones backstage who may be involved in the storylines. Have someone come out with a list saying, "X male wrestler dated X woman wrestler in 2009, X woman wrestler in 2010, cheated on his wife in 2012, etc." Attack it. Turn the mirror on the assholes in the audience.

I know I'm just talking to a wall here, though. I wonder if part of the issue just may be that the women themselves aren't very creative and don't know how to think of pitching a storyline to creative.

jmdajr

As someone said, it's 2013. Sometimes, it seems like the WWE is stuck in 1950s domestic America with the women's division. Just be pretty, and only be faithful to one man ever.

Fuck off. Use our knowledge against us. You know there are angry men who can't wait to shout "slut" from the sidelines, so why not have a character who embraces that role and SAYS that it's not 1950 anymore, and CALLS OUT the hypocritical bullshit of the men either in the arena, or even the ones backstage who may be involved in the storylines. Have someone come out with a list saying, "X male wrestler dated X woman wrestler in 2009, X woman wrestler in 2010, cheated on his wife in 2012, etc." Attack it. Turn the mirror on the assholes in the audience.

I know I'm just talking to a wall here, though. I wonder if part of the issue just may be that the women themselves aren't very creative and don't know how to think of pitching a storyline to creative.

Like I said. Vince is fucking old and set in his ways. Perhaps it will change with HHH/Steph.

Aiii

So not worth it
The women are now allowed any creativity. In fact they're told to tone it down if they try something special or impressive so the men don't get upstaged.

They aren't allowed to wrestle anymore either. Kaitlyn isn't even shown with her women's title anymore in the backstage segments.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

The only adjustment I'd make to that is it's only okay to be promiscuous if you're a face (and moving up the card.)

Alucard

Banned

Agreed, and that's probably a societal problem. Mostly men are behind the cameras. Heh.

There was actually a brilliant role reversal done on a couple of websites during the Olympics. Here's one called "What if Every Olympic Sport was Photographed like (women's) Beach Volleyball": http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/05...sport-was-photographed-like-beach-volleyball/

beachvolleyball3_mini.jpg
beachvolleyball4_mini.jpg

Something like this automatically makes you realize that some of this shit is just ridiculous.

strobogo

Banned
I think women are sexualized in any profession, but athletics where their bodies and physical attributes are the main qualities, it's kind of hard to get away from it. Even 80s women wrasslers wearing singlets and looking like 50 year old grandmas were sexualized. It's just impossible for women not to get sexualized. Even by other women.

Jitters

I think women are sexualized in any profession, but athletics where their bodies and physical attributes are the main qualities, it's kind of hard to get away from it. Even 80s women wrasslers wearing singlets and looking like 50 year old grandmas were sexualized. It's just impossible for women not to get sexualized. Even by other women.

Pretty much.

Alucard

Banned

Why aren't men looked at the same way? Why is it okay for a woman to say that another woman is good-looking, but not for a man to say the same about another man? It's stupid.

I teach teenagers, and they all giggle if we're talking about somebody famous who's male and attractive and I say "he's a good-looking guy." Of course, reading youtube comments on most videos, you'll find the words "gay" and "fag" being tossed around carelessly to describe anything not stereotypically macho, so it unfortunately makes sense.

jmdajr

I can understand the frustration some have pointed out. It's not like they are being sexualized like say Lara Croft where you have this super sexy character, but at the same time is intelligent, cultured and can kick ass and what not. Most of the DIVAS just don't have any kind of depth.

jred2k

This discussion kind of reminds of something funny in that Cena promo vid last night. After he talks about how tough his loss to the Rock was it shows headlines about his divorce. As if to imply that hes so dedicated to wrestling and not just an asshole that cheats on his wife.

Alucard

Banned
I can understand the frustration some have pointed out. It's not like they are being sexualized like say Lara Croft where you have this super sexy character, but at the same time is intelligent, cultured and can kick ass and what not. Most of the DIVAS just don't have any kind of depth.

Yeah, I think that may be part of the problem: the people they have on board don't have the type of strong personality or creativity to make some of this stuff work.

Aiii

So not worth it
I won't deny I don't like looking at the women in their wrestling ear and that's okay. I have no doubt gay guys don't mind seeing the fit men in trunks either. But we really don't need that to be their main role. There are several women in WWE that can compete on atleast the midcard level and they should be allowed to have normal storylines that don't involve the men, kissing two of them within a minute or being called a hoeski for instance. They can have ten to fifteen minute matches and feud over a title like it means something and what not.

Doesn't mean they can't be attractive or wear tight revealing gear. As said, the men do as well (insert Ziggler's penis shot here, you know the one.), but it should not be their main purpose.

jmdajr

This discussion kind of reminds of something funny in that Cena promo vid last night. After he talks about how tough his loss to the Rock was it shows headlines about his divorce. As if to imply that hes so dedicated to wrestling and not just an asshole that cheats on his wife.

Gotta protect the brand man. Can't let everyone know those he's out rimming the Bella's and playing butt games.

Alucard

Banned
How has no one mentioned Ultimate Surrender yet?

It's not for some folks.

Google at your own risk.

I'm...not going to do it based on your warning.

Anyway, I just think women's wrestling could actually be something that gets fans invested in a storyline instead of being an excuse for a bathroom break or an excuse for low camera angles.

Yessss, night 1 on the New Japan Cup is incoming shortly!

Do you happen to know what match that's from. Been watching a ton of Hokuto 93 stuff, such a ridiculous year for her. I feel I should try to watch everything else she did next.

I'm struggling to find the exact match, tbh - can't identify who that is in the background. Looks like it's around '94 or '95, though, judging from Hokuto's ring gear.

*edit, I think I found it;

Akira Hokuto & Shinobu Kandori vs Aja Kong & Bull Nakano - (AJW 03/27/94)

Yessss, night 1 on the New Japan Cup is incoming shortly!

I'm struggling to find the exact match, tbh - can't identify who that is in the background. Looks like it's around '94 or '95, though, judging from Hokuto's ring gear.

*edit, I think I found it;

Akira Hokuto & Shinobu Kandori vs Aja Kong & Bull Nakano - (AJW 03/27/94)

Awesome, looks to be an epic. A Hokuto/Kandori team up should be.. something, got to be up there with the best ''team mates who happen to hate each other.''

strobogo

Banned
I think an interesting thing to the heyday of the KO division is that they were separate from men almost entirely. Like, none of their storylines involved men, no one was feuding over men. It was about the women wrestling and being better than the other, even when they were highly sexualized.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think an interesting thing to the heyday of the KO division is that they were separate from men almost entirely. Like, none of their storylines involved men, no one was feuding over men. It was about the women wrestling and being better than the other, even when they were highly sexualized.

The only time I ever turned into TNA. It was basically its own separate promotion.

Penguin

If they are bringing back Divas, I hope WWE has plans to bring back Maria.

I'm curious as to what some Divas want.. like it doesn't seem like the WWE has changed their booking of the Divas division.

They just realized how paper thin it is.

The odd thing is.. they don't seem to know what to do with them in the PG-era since can't have random bikini contest, and mud or jello or whatever wrestling to get them into matches/skimpy outfits

Didn't her other half recently try out for WWE though?

Yeah, apparently, along with a bunch of other indy guys like Adam Cole & Sami Callihan.

Bennett's pretty much the typical WWE wrestler in everything except height, I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there one day and Maria would probably follow.

However, I've said it before and I'll say it again; Adam Cole is the future.

Top Bottom