• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Heel

Lol, I remember that. Not their finest hour, Butcher could barely do anything.

I found that show with the Bas Rutten match in my collection, btw. I'll rip it and upload the match in a few hours :)

Yeah, watching Butcher wince in pain while being helped between the ropes was hard to watch.

Thanks on the Bas Rutten fight. Curious to see if he was embellishing on his story or not lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tenzan vs Anderson was excellent. Okada vs Archer is wonderful, especially the near falls. This is so good. However the finish...huh.hrm...

Tenzan vs Anderson was excellent. Okada vs Archer is wonderful, especially the near falls. This is so good. However the finish...huh.hrm...

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Okada's new finisher - it was ok on TAKA, but on a bigger guy like Lance it looked off.

Suzuki vs Nagata was fun, like all Suzuki/Nagata matches, but it didn't do anything special.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Flabbergasted @ Nakamura vs Davey Boy Jr

just flabbergasted. I can't believe it

Flabbergasted @ Nakamura vs Davey Boy Jr

just flabbergasted. I can't believe it

I was kinda expecting it,
as it would set up Davey's intercontinental title shot
, but I thought Nakamura helped Davey look great here. I seriously loved the spot where
Nak tried to counter the sit-out powerbomb with a huricanrana, but Davey held on, stepped through and locked in the Sharpshooter

Kaladin

Team 3D is already scheduled to work house shows together against Sting and Jeff Hardy. That is honestly the best thing to come out of this Aces & Eights angle.

Heel

9. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

At the risk of appearing racist...is that...Taka Michinoku?

iuGvrXI1KFNmG.gif

Castagnoli definitely got his break in ROH, but Hero I'd say was made more in IWA-MS & CZW. McGuinness was also made a star by his time in ROH.

Recently, Eddie Edwards is a good example - in the past five years he's gone from being in Davey's shadow to holding the ROH World Title, taking multiple tours of Japan and becoming one of the most stalwart guys on the indy scene in 2013.

Anyways, here we go;

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP 2013 - ROUND 1", 03/11/13
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j2o0

1. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Satoshi Kojima vs Tomohiro Ishii
2. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs Tama Tonga
3. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Toru Yano
4. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson
5. Special Six-Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley) vs Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi) & Captain New Japan
6. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
7. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki
8. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Kazuchika Okada vs Lance Archer
9. New Japan Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

About to watch Nagata vs Suzuki, I expect it'll be all kinds of awesome.

Thanks a bunch. Watching this now. A couple of questions because I am now just really getting back into Puro. 1) Who is that dude that follows Okada to the ring before his matches? 2) What is that group that Lance Archer and TAKA! is a part of?

Thanks a bunch. Watching this now. A couple of questions because I am now just really getting back into Puro. 1) Who is that dude that follows Okada to the ring before his matches? 2) What is that group that Lance Archer and TAKA! is a part of?

1) That'd be Gedo, Okada's hype man. 2) They're part of Minoru Suzuki's stable 'Suzuki-gun' - Suzuki, TAKA, Archer, Davey Boy Jr, Taichi, Kengo Mashimo & Yoshihiro Takayama.

somedevil

Everytime I think of taka michinoku I think of the Royal Rumble of 2000 where he lands face first on floor and them showing the replay over and over again while Jerry Lawler laughs and calls him chinese.

tm24

Another big week for lucha. Here we go!

-The big news thats making splashes on news site is that AAA has partnered up with FactoryMade Ventures to make inroads into the US. This would be really excited if they didn't announce something similar in 09 or if Konnan has been openly talking about for months and we already knew about it. Still, i hope the deal does wonders for AAA

-Big weekend coming up for both CMLL and AAA. Both have big cards. First up is CMLL's Homenaje a Dos Legendas (Tribute to Two Legends/H2L) on 3/15

1) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Tritón vs Felino, Puma, Tiger

2) La Máscara, Máscara Dorada, Valiente vs Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto

3) Estrellita vs Amapola [hair]
4) Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Rush, Shocker vs Mr. Niebla, Terrible, Universo 2000

5) La Sombra & Volador Jr. vs Atlantis & Último Guerrero [natl pi, final]

6) Rey Cometa & Stuka Jr. vs Namajague & Shigeo Okumura [mask, hair]

Stuka & Namajague put up their masks, Cometa & Okumura put up their hair

Wikipedia of all places has a nice storyline background for the card here

Both the semi-main and the main should be great.

-AAA has Rey De Reyes on 3/17

1) Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Devil Rocker, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker

2) ? vs el Hijo del Perro Aguayo, Cibernético, Electroshock, Silver King, Toscano [Rey de Reyes, semifinal]

3) El Mesías vs Heavy Metal, La Parka, Parka Negra, Octagón, Pentagón Jr. [Rey de Reyes, semifinal]

4) LA Park vs Jack Evans, ?, Psicosis, Drago, Chessman [Rey de Reyes, semifinal]

5) Juventud Guerrera vs Daga, Fénix, Crazy Boy [AAA FUSION, final]
vacant title

6) Fabi Apache vs Mari Apache, Taya Valkyrie, LuFisto [Reina De Reinas, final]

7) Texano Jr. vs Blue Demon Jr. [AAA HEAVY]

8) Group 1 Winner vs Group 2 Winner, Group 3 Winner [Rey de Reyes, final]

Not much storyline here compared to the CMLL card. Expect the finals to include LA PARK, Mesias and hopefully Jeff Jarret so he can continue his feud with PARK. But really, I just want Karen back in Mexico. She's basically Vickie x20, except no one calls it cheap heat. Its amazing how much the crowd hates her. I mean, it's drink-chucking levels of hate.

-In luchadors appearing on my national tv news, Mark Jindrak/Marco Corleone has a reocurring role on a new spanish soap opera called Porque El Amor Manda (Because Love demands it). He played a mafia type and there was no wrestling involved, but he ends up in jail so i imagine his character will fight a lot once he reappears

-AAA also announced that TripleMania will take place on June 16th this year, instead of September like last year. This will mean they won't aimlessly book random shit for 2 months to kill time

Heel

Here's the match, fucking LOL at Nakanishi - not sure what the hell he thought he was doing;

Bas Rutten vs Manabu Nakanishi - (NJPW 02/05/02)

lol that strong style.

I'm not sure what I make of it. One of those elbows looked laid in pretty good. I'll believe Nakanishi didn't know that it was coming, but:

A) Was his bell actually rung hard enough to be down for 10? Seemed like a bit of theatrics mixed with shock.

B) Did Bas really want to headkick him at full steam? This made it seem like a bit of a work.

Who knows though, dude is a born fighter and could've actually been pissed. I want to believe! lol

The next New Japan tour after the NJ Cup is called 'Invasion Attack' - we know that the NWA (LOL) will be invading, but with the announcement of the New Japan trading card game expansion for Invasion Attack it looks like we may have some hints as to other outside participants, namely;

. Yoshihiro Takayama, Pro-Wrestling NOAH and long-term Suzuki-gun member
. Masakatsu Funaki, All Japan Pro-Wrestling Triple Crown Champion
. Suwama, All Japan Pro-Wrestling
. Akebono, All Japan Pro-Wrestling
. Keiji Mutoh, All Japan Pro-Wrestling

Plus, Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata were pictured with Suzuki & Takyama - future opponents? Or could Laughter7 join Suzuki-gun?

I would LOVE Sakuraba vs Suzuki in a UWFi rules match.

Who knows though, dude is a born fighter and could've actually been pissed. I want to believe! lol

Haha, same here - I will say that for a guy just involved in a supposed shoot, Rutten was pretty cooperative for the rest of the match. Also, if Nakanishi really wasn't expecting the hit, he may have decided to stay down rather than do anything to make things worse.

KissVibes

Banned
Are pedigrees and sledgehammers legal in MMA?

I hope this doesn't signal WWE adopting more MMA-style shit.

Edit: And Shaul Guerrero is kinda busted looking.

KissVibes

Banned
I hope this does huge numbers and inspires Vince to start an MMA promotion with guys who actually know how to work a mic. Right, Scooter?

Let me ask you this:

Would an MMA promotion that had the characters and storylines expected from pro-wrestling with real fights with real winners and losers have a market?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Let me ask you this:

Would an MMA promotion that had the characters and storylines expected from pro-wrestling with real fights with real winners and losers have a market?

Lets start an mma league! NWMMAF
Also, I was watching WMXXII and forgot they edited out the Mickie James hand lick. weak
1016852_o.gif

Never forget

Entropia

No One Remembers
- It was reported earlier today that WWE officials are considering a MMA-style fight for the Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H match at WrestleMania 29 in just a few weeks.

F4Wonline.com reports that the match will not be held under MMA rules.

WWE officials are considering 3 or 4 different stipulations but they had not decided on anything as of last night's RAW. It's possible we won't find out the stipulation until the March 25th or April 1st RAW.

lol

Let me ask you this:

I think so. The problem is that most MMA fighters have what.. 1-2 matches a year? WWE relies on the constant, weekly appearances for storylines to truly work.

Heel

Let me ask you this:

I wouldn't want to watch a fighter's wife give birth to a hand and have their car ran over by a monster truck, but it would be refreshing to watch a roster of MMA fighters who can actually sell themselves and go beyond "I'll fight whoever they put in front of me. Praise God!".

Not asking for forced gimmicks, either. It's just that there are very few guys in MMA who can sell themselves forcefully (Chael Sonnen) or naturally through their captivating personality (Nick Diaz).

go the bellator route of tourments every month or so. could work if marketed right.

Chael has proved that haveing a mouth can get you somewhat far.

Guys! WWE is coming really close to me. It's a house show. $15 (probably foe bad seats)

The radio ad listed Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger, Ryback, and other bad people I don't care for.

But! Shield and Team Hell No! What are the chances of going and meeting Daniel Bryan? Never been to a WWE event before, considering it just to watch Shield and Daniel live.

Kaladin

Guys! WWE is coming really close to me. It's a house show. $15 (probably foe bad seats)

The radio ad listed Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger, Ryback, and other bad people I don't care for.

But! Shield and Team Hell No! What are the chances of going and meeting Daniel Bryan? Never been to a WWE event before, considering it just to watch Shield and Daniel live.

WWE live events are just for a chance to see wrestlers live, expect nothing more. Also, expect a ton of kids in the audience.

Top Bottom