• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was Tatanka ever effective beyond his undefeated streak?

As a face, yeah, I mean, Kofi-level face-ness. Nothing people particularly cheered for except he was a cheery non-white. It doesn't take much.

Was Tatanka ever an effective heel? He's kind of the Kofi Kingston of the early 90s.

I don't think Tatanka was that effective at all - I was a fan of him as a kid, but looking back his whole undefeated streak didn't really go anywhere. This is probably the best match from his whole WWF run, iirc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Tatanka was that effective at all - I was a fan of him as a kid, but looking back his whole undefeated streak didn't really go anywhere. This is probably the best match from his whole WWF run, iirc.

It wasn't until I was older that I found out he even had an undefeated streak, I just cheered him mildly. I always had an affinity for people who looked tough, moreso than Tatanka (i.e. LoD)

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
It wasn't until I was older that I found out he even had an undefeated streak, I just cheered him mildly. I always had an affinity for people who looked tough, moreso than Tatanka (i.e. LoD)

Barry Horowitz had the only streak that mattered. They should have kept it going until WMXXX and have him defeat Taker.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question - does anyone remember any WWF/WWE spots where a man threatened to hit a woman and DIDN'T get cheered, but booed? Surely something with Elizabeth...right?

Man, that Steiner promo had very little in the way of craziness, bad maths or made up words.

Early Days Steiner was the better wrestler, but Latter Day Steiner was infinitely more entertaining.

Lol, Stone Cold never wrestled in CZW ;)

That would have been awesome though, Stone Cold vs Zandig! JEEZUS!

Classic Match of the Day;

Koji Kanemoto (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - (NJPW 01/04/96)

The best match of Kanemoto's career up to this point, as he defends his IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title against Jushin 'Thunder' Liger. This one builds up expertly well and is one of the best Jr's matches from all of New Japan's Tokyo Dome shows, the finishing stretch in particular is fantastic, with both guys really taking it to each other with some perfectly executed, explosive offence.

Also, here's the play-list of classic matches I've put up so far;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j4f3

• Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta - (AJPW 02/23/84)
  • Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen - (AJPW 04/14/83)
  • Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs El Samurai - Top of the Super Jr's III FINAL - (NJPW 04/30/92)
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (WAR 11/27/97)

My brother and I played Wrestlemania 2000 on N64 last night. We did a Royal Rumble for a belt that I created back in 2000 when I was 10. The last 4 people of the 30 man rumble was Mankind, Matt Hardy (me), Stone Cold (my brother), and Chaz. I managed to eliminate Mankind first but then my brother threw me out immediately after. For revenge, I was able to pull out Stone Cold right before he was going to eliminate Chaz. What a champion he will be.
FUCK YEAH, CHAZ. YOU SEE THIS, WRECKER?

Slowly becoming a Liger mark. I need to see a 16 disk box set of his career.

If you can find this set out there, I'd definitely recommend it;

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/topic/50986-best-of-jushin-liger-1989-1996-dvd-set/

24 discs (!!!) of pure Liger awesomeness from 1989-1996.

Failing that, just check out any of his matches from his feud against Naoki Sano (which was as important to Jr's wrestling in the late 80's as Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid was in the early 80's), or his mid-90's stuff against the likes of El Samurai, Ultimo Dragon, Black Tiger, Wild Pegasus, etc.

If you can find this set out there, I'd definitely recommend it;

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/topic/50986-best-of-jushin-liger-1989-1996-dvd-set/

24 discs (!!!) of pure Liger awesomeness from 1989-1996.

Failing that, just check out any of his matches from his feud against Naoki Sano (which was as important to Jr's wrestling in the late 80's as Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid was in the early 80's), or his mid-90's stuff against the likes of El Samurai, Ultimo Dragon, Black Tiger, Wild Pegasus, etc.

Must. Own. This. Shame it doesn't have his work from his time in the UK too. Some of those matches on youtube are amazing.

Aiii

So not worth it
Liger is the reason I got into wrestling, I used to pretend to be him and wrestled my stuffed bears on my bed.

He was my superhero I guess.

Penguin

Weird question - does anyone remember any WWF/WWE spots where a man threatened to hit a woman and DIDN'T get cheered, but booed? Surely something with Elizabeth...right?

I have to imagine the whole Jake/Savage/Elizabeth feud.

Especially when Jake was lying in wait to bash her with a chair

I also want to say pervert Kurt Angle and Sharmal

Kaladin

Liger is the reason I got into wrestling, I used to pretend to be him and wrestled my stuffed bears on my bed.

He was my superhero I guess.

I think if it was any one wrestler that got me into wrestling it was Sting....and back then he was surfer Sting but I marked the fuck out for crow Sting.

also The Undertaker, but more Sting than Taker.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have to imagine the whole Jake/Savage/Elizabeth feud.

Especially when Jake was lying in wait to bash her with a chair

I also want to say pervert Kurt Angle and Sharmal

Hmm. I remember there being a moment where the announcers encouraged Savage to slap Liz. Really weird stuff.

Kaladin

While I watched it before, I think the feud that really got me into WWF was Mankind vs Undertaker. Before that I was more heavily into WCW than WWF.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have to say the dude who got me into wrestling was probably the team of the Road Warriors, I remember clear as day when they put out Dusty Rhodes' eye and since then I was hooked. After wrestling had been in my life awhile, I really enjoyed Kona Crush, and have been a Bryan Adams mark ever since.

I'd have to say the dude who got me into wrestling was probably the team of the Road Warriors, I remember clear as day when they put out Dusty Rhodes' eye and since then I was hooked. After wrestling had been in my life awhile, I really enjoyed Kona Crush, and have been a Bryan Adams mark ever since.

Little Sunflower with his Road Warrior face paint on!

For me it was 1985 and catching Ric Flair on TBS on a Saturday afternoon................
I was hooked and followed Hogan's career from 85 on. Flair was a god to me though.

I was in it all the way till the Mcmahon Helmsley era, my love died during that time.

Love that you guys are talking about Luger. I thought the Torture Rack was a pretty sweet finisher.

There was an awesome Nitro where this guy in the front row picked up his friend and started giving him the torture rack while Lex was doing it in the ring.

That always stuck out to me, I thought it was so funny.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Little Sunflower with his Road Warrior face paint on!

Pretty much - had WWF magazine and I'd look at their posted in their Shopzone section and wanted to be as cool as Animal when I grew up. Hawk was the smaller one compared, and I always liked Animal more.

For me it was 1985 and catching Ric Flair on TBS on a Saturday afternoon................
I was hooked and followed Hogan's career from 85 on. Flair was a god to me though.

I was in it all the way till the Mcmahon Helmsley era, my love died during that time.

I remember the first time my love for it died - it was in the mid 2000. I had to watch Raw, Nitro, Thunder, and more - then I missed a Thunder, and then it was SO easy to just stop watching, so I stopped. Missed pretty much everything with Kurt Angle, and never did warm to him after the fact.

Pretty much - had WWF magazine and I'd look at their posted in their Shopzone section and wanted to be as cool as Animal when I grew up. Hawk was the smaller one compared, and I always liked Animal more.

I remember the first time my love for it died - it was in the mid 2000. I had to watch Raw, Nitro, Thunder, and more - then I missed a Thunder, and then it was SO easy to just stop watching, so I stopped. Missed pretty much everything with Kurt Angle, and never did warm to him after the fact.

Well I was real bitter when Mcmahon bought WCW, I mean real bitter. Then the way he handled the invasion really hurt me a lot.

I invested so much into that company, and although the last 3 years were tough, I still had love.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gonzalez vs Taker is on. I'm tuning out for 15 to spare myself.

Top Bottom