• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

strobogo

Banned
One of my favorite things about 2001 Austin was when he'll pull out the MDD and Stun Gun as desperation moves in big matches. JR or Heyman really never called attention to the actual past gimmicks, but I'm always a fan when guys reference past gimmicks in matches or promos. Not in a shooty, snarky WCW way, though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Both men on commentary are currently employed by WWE, why are they not the default PPV announce team? Just listen how excited they are!

strobogo

Banned
JR and Heyman was the best WWE announce team that didn't involve Jesse, Brain, or Monsoon. I know Gorilla and JR did some shows together I think on USO Radio or something. JR and Jesse was good in WCW. Can you imagine Bobby, Heyman, and Gorilla? WOULD YOU STOP!

Man if we can get Super Rock from that match vs. Super Cena at Wrestlemania I would actually be hyped. Watching them try to out super each other could actually be fun.

Oh god Saliva haha

strobogo

Banned
Rock/Hogan 2 was stupid. Nowhere near as enjoyable, with another shitty Montreal Screwjob. Even Hollywood Rock couldn't make it better.

mrboo001

Banned
they should do this same thing with Cena.

Hmmmm

Earlier in the night, Heyman screws over CM Punk in his match with the Undertaker, appearing to turn face....

but during the Cena Rock match, sneak attacks the Rock so that Cena wins. Paul didn't turn heel, Cena turned face.

Never going to happen.

WM X8 was like a cruel glimpse into the future, like the WM events of the modern day.
Thrown together undercard matches, an underwhelming main title match, the hopes of the event propped on the back of one mega match and concerts used outside of entrances.
It's amazing that the mediocre X8 is book ended by 17 and 19 which are two of the best.

strobogo

Banned
Man, I forgot how fucking cheesy the announcing was in the early-mid 90s. Everything is so rehearsed and written out. I completely forgot all about Vince's love of topical reference puns. They're all TERRIBLE. All of them. Razor vs Goldust being built around Razor being a homophobe and him being the face and in the right for it. Which is weird, since Goldy turned face when King called him a queer. I guess it is okay when you're a face.

I'm watching The Ringmaster vs Matt Hardy. Matt looked like such a fucking goof. V .005. I also forgot how stupidly hard and unforgiving the rings were before 99ish.

Forgot how much I enjoy Chris Hero vs Bryan Danielson from PWG's Guerre Sans Frontieres - both guys kick the absolute shit out of each other over the space of 40 minutes, just a brutal match with a great story that both guys sold perfectly. Danielson was/is SO fucking good, I really miss him on the indies.

BEST IN THE WORLD!!

iblKV4By5pesdA.jpg

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
WM X8 was like a cruel glimpse into the future, like the WM events of the modern day.
Thrown together undercard matches, an underwhelming main title match, the hopes of the event propped on the back of one mega match and concerts used outside of entrances.
It's amazing that the mediocre X8 is book ended by 17 and 19 which are two of the best.
19 had Nathan Jones, therefore it is the peak of not only pro wrasslin, but of the human experience.

somedevil

Why is there a dolphin with Bryan? lol. Also, rumors was that WWE wanted Angle to fight Sting, but he said no so he got Kane instead.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Pretty much. A bunch of lazy undercard matches just kills the big time feel.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
But the Colossus of Boggo Road was denied his original position as Taker's tag team partner, presumably because he was too great and would overshadow Taker's streak.
Huh...totally forgot about Takers streak for a second there. That tends to happen when I think about Police Story 4: First Strike actor Nathan Jones.

Man, I forgot how fucking cheesy the announcing was in the early-mid 90s. Everything is so rehearsed and written out. I completely forgot all about Vince's love of topical reference puns. They're all TERRIBLE. All of them. Razor vs Goldust being built around Razor being a homophobe and him being the face and in the right for it. Which is weird, since Goldy turned face when King called him a queer. I guess it is okay when you're a face.

I'm watching The Ringmaster vs Matt Hardy. Matt looked like such a fucking goof. V .005. I also forgot how stupidly hard and unforgiving the rings were before 99ish.

Let us never forget that promo on Raw where Lawler called Goldust a "flaming fag". Good god, that was insane even for how relatively closed-minded people still were in 1997.

Aiii

So not worth it
Let us never forget that promo on Raw where Lawler called Goldust a "flaming fag". Good god, that was insane even for how relatively closed-minded people still were in 1997.

Yeah, I reckon there would be alot more backlash if he had said that today.

Top Bottom