• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Razorskin

----- ------
522673_10151334085571443_1336097519_n.png

:Cringe

trunbuns

So apparently Vinny Mac has joined twitter. Found this in the comments on the reddit post:

Vince web chat from 1998

Makes CrankyVince more plausible if you ask me.

edit: Holy crap at Vince's response to being asked if he was going to expand the Light Heavyweight division:

Yokozuna is on a diet! Perhaps an influx of Ethiopian talent would be appropriate

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm addicted to watching all these WWE documentaries at night before bed.

Just about finished watching "The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling"... which is just a huge pile of sadness because of the Von Erich family.

Edit: Holy shit, I had no idea that Kerry von Erich wreslted with a prosthetic foot.

Edit 2: These last like 20 minutes are fucking depressing. Jesus :(

It is depressing, but also REALLY good. If you don't become a fan of Gary Hart and/or Jimmy Garvin after it, you have no soul.

Penguin

Watching the Undertaker's 20-0 on Netflix

In terms of starpower/build, is Sid/Undertaker considered the worst main event in Mania history? If not, which would you pick?

Hogan vs Yokozuna, I just hated the way it happened. Yoko destroys Bret and takes his title, setting up a feud culminating in a rematch a year later, and then he gets demolished by Hogan in 22 seconds for no good reason other than to have a babyface winning at the end of the show? Fuck off.

Miz Cena.

Negative, Miz has no star power.

That match was the drizzling shits, though, and it was mostly Cena's fault. I don't care if he felt hard done by because of The Rock's involvement, he can have no excuses for the most lacklustre, disinterested performance I have ever seen in a WrestleMania main event. Cena probably did more to damage Miz's career with this match than Miz ever could.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

That match was the drizzling shits, though, and it was mostly Cena's fault. I don't care if he felt hard done by because of The Rock's involvement, he can have no excuses for the most lacklustre, disinterested performance I have ever seen in a WrestleMania main event. Cena probably did more to damage Miz's career with this match than Miz ever could.

Miz carried Alex Riley into an actual WWE career!

Miz has more WM main events than CM Punk. He even won too!

I think its about time he gets some respect.

RBH

Miz vs. Cena at Wrestlemania 27 was such a chore to sit through live.

The whole crowd was just burned out at that point and basically had one eye looking toward the entrance way, waiting for The Rock to show up.

ZeroRay

People forget how over Sid was back then.

Survivor Series 96 was awesome with the NY crowd turning on Shawn and cheering for Sid fucking shit up.

Here's another question for you guys...since reaching the top of this industry just under 8 years ago, who would you say that Cena has most helped to elevate?

I'm drawing a blank, other than Big Dave, and he's not around any more.

Miz has more WM main events than CM Punk

Yeah, and fat chance of him ever getting another.

Here's another question for you guys...since reaching the top of this industry just under 8 years ago, who would you say that Cena has most helped to elevate?

I'm drawing a blank, other than Big Dave, and he's not around any more.

Even Big Dave I'd credit to HHH and the Evolution storyline.

As for Cena... Edge?

Striker

Hogan vs Yokozuna, I just hated the way it happened. Yoko destroys Bret and takes his title, setting up a feud culminating in a rematch a year later, and then he gets demolished by Hogan in 22 seconds for no good reason other than to have a babyface winning at the end of the show? Fuck off.
Yeah, really bonehead decision by Vince.

That opening match between Owen and Bret was fantastic, even having Owen going over. But even with Yoko's size, he still put up good matches. I liked his stuff with Bret a lot. The ending putting the title on Hogan, who was leaving months later, made no sense still.

Also there was a time they had an opportunity to put the title on Owen but obviously never happened. SummerSlam would've been that chance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure Cena elevated Dave as much as Evolution did - pairing him with Flair and Trips did wonders for his career. It definitely peaked with Cena, though, and full-on Brotista.

He did help elevate Edge was was part of his Ultimate Opportunist label. Also RVD. Maybe not :p

Looking back on this, he laid down for Edge a LOT.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Its Punk. Not Cena's fault the Summer of Punk ended up failing in the most WWE way possible.

Feel like I've booked myself into a corner.

Scott Steiner & Booker T ended their program.
Goldberg started one with Scott Steiner.
WCW Champion Booker T has no one to naturally feud with. :\

somedevil

I would say he helped Edge and Punk the most. Both guys though were already very over anyway without his help though. Edge caught fire for sleeping with Lita and Punk was for the promo. Cena helped them out though.

I had pretty much forgotten how much Cena worked with Edge, due to not regularly watching at that time - his wins over Cena were definitely a big part of his stardom, but I always felt the matches with Undertaker were what cemented him as a top star, at least in my eyes.

Similarly, Cena was the catalyst for Punk's recent stardom and the object of 'that promo', but I feel that Punk's star was already made by the feud with Jeff, it's just that WWE didn't have anything good for him to follow up with - of course, the lacklustre usage of Punk was what led to his dissatisfaction and the promo that sparked his popularity, so perhaps it wasn't much of a bad thing.

Feel like I've booked myself into a corner.

Scott Steiner & Booker T ended their program.
Goldberg started one with Scott Steiner.
WCW Champion Booker T has no one to naturally feud with. :\

Sounds like you need a no.1 contender's tournament to find a new opponent for Booker.

Striker

The Mick Foley angle helped Orton a ton too.

EDIT which tied in with Evolution.

So pair him with Flair and Hunter, face the likes of Hogan and Foley during and after the splits

Aiii

So not worth it
Paige (from NXT) beat A.J. Lee with special guest referee Hornswoggle. Paige won with a roll-up, then A.J. threw a fit and walked out very angry.

Next was intermission. There was a text vote on whether A.J. should be allowed ringside for Dolph Ziggler’s match later in the show.

After this was Big E. Langston tagging with Dolph Ziggler against Kane and Daniel Bryan for the Tag Titles. WWE announced that the crowd voted “yes” for A.J. to remain ringside, so she stayed. And, the crowd chanted “A.J.’s crazy” over and over again! She replied by yelling at fans or doing her crazy stares; the last time they did it, she shouted, “EARMUFFS!” and put her hands over her ears. She later interfered in the match and was ejected for her trouble.

(7) WWE tag champions Kane & Daniel Bryan beat Dolph Ziggler & Big E. Langston to retain the Tag Titles. They went back and forth tagging, then toward the end, A.J. came running back out to fight with the ref, so he was distracted. The heels tried to use Ziggler’s MITB briefcase as an advantage, but missed. A.J. finally got down and went back off-stage, then Kane chokeslammed Dolph for the win.

Paige vs AJ. HHHHHNNNGGGGG.

Kyoufu

I hate to be a debbie downer but WM29 is not exciting me at all.

Even if Punk was in the main event with Rock and Cena I'd still say meh. :(

Help me get excited, GAF.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jaekwon will never abandon the GWF

However perhaps there should be a Loser Leaves Town match between Jaekwon15 and Carnby

Can't be done

Kaladin

Wrestlemania ain't the same without Mr. Wrestlemania. And it will die a little more when Undertaker finally retires.

Admit it, he still brings the hype even now.

Carnby

Jaekwon will never abandon the GWF

However perhaps there should be a Loser Leaves Town match between Jaekwon15 and Carnby

Can't be done

If Carnby does enter GWF, make sure he is modeled after the Carnby from Alone In the Dark 2. The best version of Carnby ever! And make sure his music sounds like something from part 2.

If you haven't played Alone 2, play it! It is the Troll 2 of video games. Name another game where you beat up a drunk man in his underwear, who may or may not be flirting with you, so that you can steal his Santa suit, so that you can wear it to sneak into a mansion of immortal pirates. The pirates don't mind if they see Santa walking around their mansion.

Edit: Actually THIS should be his theme song!

Wrestlemania ain't the same without Mr. Wrestlemania. And it will die a little more when Undertaker finally retires.

Admit it, he still brings the hype even now.

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and this is the truth. The day HBK retired, Wrestlemania died a bit for me.

Kaladin

HBK was a guy that wrestled every night and turned it up past eleven for Mania. It was always something special with him, ever since Wrestlemania X. Nobody can do that on the current roster with the same amount of hype HBK brought to the event.

It's incredible how obvious it was that Cena just gave no shits, contrasted with Miz actually trying to the best of his limited ability, I felt pretty bad for Miz and he was the supposed winner of the match but instead came out a greater loser in the grand scheme of things.

Well the possible undercard has the potential to be okay if the matches don't get shortchanged in favour of concerts, advertising, skits and long main eventer entrances....okay so they're already doomed.

We should just start building up hype to Extreme Rules, the event where WM rematches tend to be superior and have gimmicks.

Kaladin

After giving it some consideration, I think I have my long term avatar now. The Rock was always a part timer anyway.

Thanks bootaaay.

Top Bottom