• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

strobogo

Banned
sy48.gif

sy4q.gif

sy4y.gif

sy5i.gif

It's Zeb's mustache, by gawd!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently my computer is going to reset in <5 minutes. I'm trying to keep it from doing that, but it might happen. A shame, I have the biggest viewer count in personal history :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mine did that this morning, resistance is futile. Are you on Windows 8?

Yep...Tried a few things, but we'll see within a couple minutes if it worked.

if it does go down I might just resume the Manias tomorrow after my weekly Sunday Morning Stream I run.

WM 24 feels like the last one that was good all around, great atmosphere as well.
Bar a few good matches sprinkled throughout the following years it's all downhill from 24.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh? You mean Sunny Sunday Morning with Sunflower (and games)!

Yep! Should be fun. I'll tweet about it but if people are curious I'll throw a link in here. It's nothing special.

Random wrasslin' stream;

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#5142d2606ca91

Got a great Michinoku Pro show from 2000, a whole bunch of 90's New Japan and some NOAH.

I highly encourage everyone to watch Bootaaay's stream - Mania's been overshadowing it, and he has a ton of great stuff.

I really like Veetle's scheduler so you know when to come back if you're not into, say, PWG (but who wouldnt be?!) and you know when to come get some NJPW, etc. Highly recommended.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is that Tokyo Magnum? I just tuned in, and I'm pretty sure it is!

EDIT: HELL YEAH IT IS

strobogo

Banned
"What is is, and whatever it is you're into, I don't give a SHIT!"

Ultimate Warrior to Goldust, Raw 1996.

"FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK"

Yokozuna, in response to Vader smashing his already broken leg, Raw 1996.

A bit LTTP as I'm just watching the last Raw now. First thing's first... what the fuck is with Big E's suit? Are the fucking serious? his entire massive ass is just bulging out of that thing and it's like only covering 2/3 of it. They dont even cut away, he got up on the apron to stop D-bry from jumping out the ring to hit Ziggler and they didn't cut away, this planetary sized male ass right in the middle of the screen.

Jesus christ... this is why teens don't watch wrestling anymore, because of how "gay" it is. It's no longer "cool" like it was when we were in hs, it's gained this "gay" stigma. You turn the channel onto Raw and what do you see? an enormous male ass right in front of you. I have nothing against homosexuality but straight male teens were a huge segment of Raw back in the day and the loss of that demographic has killed ratings. It's unbelievable... how are Vince/HHH watching the show and not realizing a huge mountain of an ass staring right back at them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ah that crowd spot is great, love it when people get out of the way :D

strobogo

Banned
I don't think that's a valid complaint when teenage and young adult males are super into MMA, which is almost always far more homoerotic than pro wrestling. Any fight that goes to the ground is "gayer" than anything non Goldust/Rico/Billy and Chuck related you're going to see in pro wrestling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that's a valid complaint when teenage and young adult males are super into MMA, which is almost always far more homoerotic than pro wrestling. Any fight that goes to the ground is "gayer" than anything non Goldust/Rico/Billy and Chuck related you're going to see in pro wrestling.

Agreed with this point. It's one thing to see male asses around, it's another for them to be in what amounts to the missionary position for quite some time.

People need to get in touch with their inner queer.

Are you serious? They're legitimately trying to beat the shit out of each other in MMA, that fact alone makes it less "gay" and more "cool" to the younger crowd. Not comparable.

Also, they don't wear underwear that shows off half of their ass. (correct me if I'm wrong)

strobogo

Banned
Young males and teens aren't watching wrestling because it's been fucking lame for years. Not because dudes are scared of some man ass.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I always love about all japanese wrestling is the abundance of strikes or kicks to the head. Some of the best.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you serious? They're legitimately trying to beat the shit out of each other in MMA, that fact alone makes it less "gay" and more "cool" to the younger crowd. Not comparable.

Also, they don't wear underwear that shows off half of their ass. (correct me if I'm wrong)

A lot of MMA competitors wear pretty much the same as wrestling tights. If anything it's even more form fitting.

That finish was so nasty;

ibelR6AW3WFvJ6.gif

*edit, Jinsei Shinzaki/Hakushi was so awesome, other than the small feud with Bret how on earth did WWE fail to do anything of interest with the guy?

FyreWulff

The only difference between boxing, mma, and wrestling is the booking and the amount of fixing.

They all share promos, managers, and booking. And various degrees of fixing. MMA and boxing even have their own term for jobbers. MMA and boxing competitors will often cooperate with other and make outlandish comments that they don't really mean to drive up the buys from the marks.

If the WWE can't sell a match to a people, it's because of their booking sucking and hype machine being terrible, not because the competitors are not trying to actually harm each other (in theory)

strobogo

Banned
A lot of MMA competitors wear pretty much the same as wrestling tights. If anything it's even more form fitting.

And there's not a lot of sustained ground grappling in WWE and announcers screaming about getting the mount, the rear mount, the rape choke, numerous submissions that feature balls right in someone's face for an extended amount of time, guys pawing balls on accident, dudes literally just resting on each other in the missionary position. WWE has just been completely lame and uncool for about a decade. If it gets hot again, teenagers will watch it again. When it's been super uncool shit for babies and people who watch out of habit, teenagers don't care about it. It's definitely not because sweaty dudes in tights fake fighting is much gayer than sweaty dudes in tights for real fighting.

jmdajr

According to the most recent reports by Box Office Mojo, "The Call" featuring WWE Superstar David Otunga is off to an unexpected start this weekend following its debut.

While "Oz the Great and Powerful" kept its strong lead, "The Call" beat out "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" featuring the likes of Steve Carell, Jim Carrey, Olivia Wilde, and Steve Buscemi. The film debuted with $6.2 million over 2,507 locations, and is expected to gross between $13 and $16 million for the weekend, surpassing its budget in the first three days.

hmmmf. Not bad.

somedevil

The only difference between boxing, mma, and wrestling is the booking and the amount of fixing.

They all share promos, managers, and booking. And various degrees of fixing. MMA and boxing even have their own term for jobbers. MMA and boxing competitors will often cooperate with other and make outlandish comments that they don't really mean to drive up the buys from the marks.

If the WWE can't sell a match to a people, it's because of their booking sucking and hype machine being terrible, not because the competitors are not trying to actually harm each other (in theory)

This is true but the hardcore fans of both sides hate the other side and never will admit they are very similiar.

Also, the breakdown of age groups that watch wwe are this:

23 % of our audience is under 18 years old
24 % of our audience is 18-34 years old
21 % of our audience is 35-49 years old
32 % of our audience is 50+ years old

Don Frye talks about Takayama breaking his shoulder & back in their infamous encounter and tells us about the time he choked a steer to death;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-RdkKQE7c

This is ahead of AJPW's huge Sumo Hall show in a few hours, featuring Masakatsu Funaki vs Suwama for the Triple Crown, Mutoh & Frye vs Takayama & Kono, Omori & Soya vs Akiyama & Shiozaki and a whole load more. Really can't wait to see this one, Frye & Takayama going at it again should be real fun.

strobogo

Banned
AJ really lucked out in his hood flopping up perfectly when he SWERVED James Storm on Impact. I also liked him taking off on the Batpod in the video package before the match. It's too bad they're ruining what has been a pretty awesome thing with Joe Park by getting Matt Morgan involved. How gross. That beard is pretty awesome, though. Too bad everything else about Morgan sucks.

Jamie OD

One of the channels I follow on Twitch.tv played Wrestlemania 21 on the Xbox during the week and realised that Triple H's character portrait resembled Grumpy Cat.

grumpyhhh_zpsc951182b.png

Top Bottom