• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
CEAWs3e.png

Nice.

DM Let's play Madden

Eh, not terribly enthused by the New Japan Cup Round 2 results;

Davey Boy Smith Jr. defeated Yujiro Takahashi
Hirooki Goto defeated Tomohiro Ishii
Toru Yano defeated Minoru Suzuki
Kazuchika Okada defeated Karl Anderson

The semi-final matches at the March 23rd iPPV will be;

Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs Hirooki Goto
Kazuchika Okada vs Toru Yano

Fucking Yano! WTF? I really hope Hirooki doesn't win again this year. Yano vs Okada is interesting because of their CHAOS connections, but I'm not looking forward to the match. Smith vs Goto should be great, but I'm hoping Smith beats Goto to set up an CHAOS vs Suzuki-gun final

Classic Match of the Day:

Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Nobuhiko Takada - IWGP Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 10/09/95)

Real classic match here and one of the greatest New Japan main events of all time, right in the midsts of the red-hot NJ vs UWFi feud, as Keiji Mutoh defends the grandest prize in wrestling against Nobuhiko Takada, a former NJ trainee and expert shoot-fighter leading up the UWFi invasion of New Japan. 67,000 people came to see this match, breaking the national attendance record for pro-wrestling in Japan.

Here's the playlist of classic matches posted so far;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j4f3

• Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Nobuhiko Takada - IWGP Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 10/09/95)
  • Aja Kong (c) vs Dynamite Kansai - WWWA Title Match - (AJW 08/25/93)
  • Naoki Sano vs Masakatsu Funaki - (SWS 04/01/91)
  • Koji Kanemoto (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 01/04/96)[/url]
  • Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta (c) - AWA Heavyweight Title & NWA United International Title - (AJPW 02/23/84)
  • Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen - (AJPW 04/14/83)
  • Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs El Samurai - Top of the Super Jr's III FINAL - (NJPW 04/30/92)
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (WAR 11/27/97)

Penguin

The funny thing about the Bret/Austin feud is that Austin lost pretty much all of their major battles, but got insanely over in the process.

So you can get over via losses... but WWE seems to have lost the art for it.

Probably because they don't space it out over 5 months.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Classic Match of the Day:

Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Nobuhiko Takada - IWGP Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 10/09/95)

Real classic match here and one of the greatest New Japan main events of all time, right in the midsts of the red-hot NJ vs UWFi feud, as Keiji Mutoh defends the grandest prize in wrestling against Nobuhiko Takada, a former NJ trainee and expert shoot-fighter leading up the UWFi invasion of New Japan. 67,000 people came to see this match, breaking the national attendance record for pro-wrestling in Japan.

Here's the playlist of classic matches posted so far;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j4f3

• Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Nobuhiko Takada - IWGP Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 10/09/95)
  • Aja Kong (c) vs Dynamite Kansai - WWWA Title Match - (AJW 08/25/93)
  • Naoki Sano vs Masakatsu Funaki - (SWS 04/01/91)
  • Koji Kanemoto (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 01/04/96)[/url]
  • Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta (c) - AWA Heavyweight Title & NWA United International Title - (AJPW 02/23/84)
  • Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen - (AJPW 04/14/83)
  • Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs El Samurai - Top of the Super Jr's III FINAL - (NJPW 04/30/92)
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (WAR 11/27/97)

FUCKKKKKK, Training Montage from Rocky IV as the intro. <3 <3 <3 <3 #<<FWM{@MOPMF@!{M@R!RM!OERM!#OM#R WATCHING NOW

Kaladin

I have no hype for any Wrestlemania weekend event this year. Zero. Was it this way for people not attending the last couple of years?

The funny thing about the Bret/Austin feud is that Austin lost pretty much all of their major battles, but got insanely over in the process.

So you can get over via losses... but WWE seems to have lost the art for it.

Probably because they don't space it out over 5 months.

Well that's it! It's how you lose, and the connection with the crowd you make. There's very little crowd connection now beyond catchphrase repetition.

Raw64life

This is the least hyped I've been for a WrestleMania in I don't know how long, maybe ever, and of course it happens to be the first one that I'm going to.

I have no hype for any Wrestlemania weekend event this year. Zero. Was it this way for people not attending the last couple of years?

Pretty much. I was excited at the prospect of some individual matches at the various indy shows, but while for WWE Mania weekend in the culmination of their year, for the indies it's just a means of gaining more exposure, so there's very little storyline reason to be excited for those shows (except for SHIMMER) and, storyline wise, I couldn't give a crap about WWE's Mania this year. Odds will be overcome and it'll suck.

The show I'm most hyped for is SHIMMER;

. Saraya Knight (c) vs Cheerleader Melissa - Cage Match
. Ayako Hamada vs Athena
. Madison Eagles vs Jessie McKay
. Amazing Kong vs Mia Yim

Plus, The Canadian Ninjas, Evie, Made in Sin, Rhia O'Reilly, Christina Von Eerie, Serena Deeb, Mercedes Martinez, Kana, Regeneration-X, Kellie Skater, Veda Scott & Shazza McKenzie

Knight vs Melissa should be an awesome, hate-filled match that's been brewing for over a year now. The rest of the matches announced look great also, really looking forward to the return of Aussie's Madison Eagles & Jessie McKay.

Really great match, just finished - the end was so good! I think the detail of having so much staff checking out Takada's knee is a nice touch and goes a long way.

Yeah, that finishing stretch was excellent - Takada sold it perfectly, a proper wrestling masterclass. I'll see if I can find the rematch from the Tokyo Dome show the following year, as it's just as great a match.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. I was excited at the prospect of some individual matches at the various indy shows, but while for WWE Mania weekend in the culmination of their year, for the indies it's just a means of gaining more exposure, so there's very little storyline reason to be excited for those shows (except for SHIMMER) and, storyline wise, I couldn't give a crap about WWE's Mania this year. Odds will be overcome and it'll suck.

The show I'm most hyped for is SHIMMER;

. Saraya Knight (c) vs Cheerleader Melissa - Cage Match
. Ayako Hamada vs Athena
. Madison Eagles vs Jessie McKay
. Amazing Kong vs Mia Yim

Plus, The Canadian Ninjas, Evie, Made in Sin, Rhia O'Reilly, Christina Von Eerie, Serena Deeb, Mercedes Martinez, Kana, Regeneration-X, Kellie Skater, Veda Scott & Shazza McKenzie

Knight vs Melissa should be an awesome, hate-filled match that's been brewing for over a year now. The rest of the matches announced look great also, really looking forward to the return of Aussie's Madison Eagles & Jessie McKay.

SHIMMER has pretty much the dream card going on. So many great wrestlers in one spot. Really excited for it too, hope to see it live. I mean, I hope to see it from my internet lair...as it happens. Not the same as being there.

Kaladin

I think the only things I might watch live are Kaiju Big Battel and Shimmer. I've never seen Kaiju Big Battel so it should be interesting.

Is there an easy way to find out who has been in the most PPV Main Events over the last 10 years? Other than just assuming John Cena, obviously.

I think the only things I might watch live are Kaiju Big Battel and Shimmer. I've never seen Kaiju Big Battel so it should be interesting.

Kaiju are a bit too late for me to stay up and watch (same with $5 wrestling, but I'll get the replay free with my highspots.tv membership anyways), but even if I'm not hyped for the other shows, I'll still be watching.

ROH usually pull something good out of the bag and Steen vs Jay Briscoe should make for a fun title match. EVOLVE has the title tournament to look forward to and DGUSA has a good few matches that look great on paper;

. Gargano (c) vs Shingo
. Tozawa vs Ricochet
. Callihan vs Uhaa Nation
. Davis vs Del Sol

Etc.

Carnby

My friend is convinced Cena is turning heel to beat Rock, like Austin did at WM 17. Help me convince him that it ain't happening.

KissVibes

Banned
My friend is convinced Cena is turning heel to beat Rock, like Austin did at WM 17. Help me convince him that it ain't happening.

That's not going to happen because The Rock is the heel. This all started when he attacked him and helped Miz win the title. He ruined John Cena's wrestling life and personal life. JOHN CENA'S WIFE LEFT HIM BECAUSE OF HIS LOSS AT WM28!

Carnby

Behold! A picture of the In Your Face Wrestling event I went to last night. This is their ring. It was the WrestleMania of In Your Face events. The Boogie Man, Bobby Fish, Sheldon Benjamin, and Nunzio were there.

inyourface_zpsc3bcfa88.jpg

I'm watching the ROH 11th Anniversary show right now, and I don't know. I just can't get into ROH like I used to. It feels so bland.

I don't know if it's just because I wasn't expecting anything from the show, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, namely;

. The opening 6-man mayhem. This totally felt like a 6-man from classic ROH, circa 03-05, with a bunch of up and comers going all out to make a fun opening match.
. Whitmer vs Haas - Charlie works a lot better on his own and Whitmer should've fucking DIED at least twice in this one. Fun match with a lot of intensity. People hate Haas.
. Elgin vs Strong - the finale to this feud should've happened months ago, but this match was no less awesome because of it.
. TV Title Match - unexpected, Taven impressed.
. Steen vs Lethal - a good match and the post-match stuff was well delivered.

Probably the most I've enjoyed an ROH iPPV since the Showdown in the Sun events from last Mania weekend.

Who's the guy running the ropes?

Michael McGillibillibuddycutty, or however it's spelt.

kbWtq.png

Who cares. Cena is Cena is Cena. There's nothing he can do to get people who actually don't like him (as opposed to people booing because others boo) to like him. Dude's a bum.

I don't know if it's just because I wasn't expecting anything from the show, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, namely;

. The opening 6-man mayhem. This totally felt like a 6-man from classic ROH, circa 03-05, with a bunch of up and comers going all out to make a fun opening match.
. Whitmer vs Haas - Charlie works a lot better on his own and Whitmer should've fucking DIED at least twice in this one. Fun match with a lot of intensity. People hate Haas.
. Elgin vs Strong - the finale to this feud should've happened months ago, but this match was no less awesome because of it.
. TV Title Match - unexpected, Taven impressed.
. Steen vs Lethal - a good match and the post-match stuff was well delivered.

Probably the most I've enjoyed an ROH iPPV since the Showdown in the Sun events from last Mania weekend.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the bolded, but I attribute my disappointment in just being burnt out with the company. I'm sure a few months away from the product will rekindle my interest in it, like I have to do with most wrestling companies.

Who cares. Cena is Cena is Cena. There's nothing he can do to get people who actually don't like him (as opposed to people booing because others boo) to like him. Dude's a bum.

I would actually be interested if he turned heel.

Imagine, he hits the Rock Bottom on the Rock, goes for the pin and puts his feet up on the middle rope! 1-2-3!! In that split-second, the crowd go livid, but it's nothing compared to their hatred when Cena gets to his feet and shoots that shit-eating smirk to the hard camera before stomping on the Rock, screaming "I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU I'D TAKE MY WIN BACK! GET YOUR BITCH-ASS BACK TO HOLLYWOOD!".

Frustrated Grunt said:
Yeah, I really enjoyed the bolded, but I attribute my disappointment in just being burnt out with the company. I'm sure a few months away from the product will rekindle my interest in it, like I have to do with most wrestling companies.

I get that - it's not been terribly easy as an ROH fan for the past few years and although I think that the product's now starting to look somewhat more healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see it again slip below expectations.

Top Bottom