• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Slapping Aja Kong generally isn't a good idea;

i0tY6ArsghMts.gif

Really enjoyed this match - told a good story with Kyoko pissing Kong off early and getting absolutely destroyed, yet still getting back up and pissing Kong off all over again. Despite never really buying that Kyoko could cause an upset, the crowd were well behind her and this match did a lot to prove she could hang with the top tier in AJW.

dream

What it shows is that Ryback vs. Punk was a match people wanted to see as much as any "B" show PPV main event, except Lesnar vs. Cena, in a couple of years. It's a feather in the cap of both. But Punk has never come close to this level except once, which was under unusual circumstances. The fact is, this was not even the main event the company wanted. The originally scheduled main event was Punk vs. Cena in a Hell in a Cell match, and Ryback only got a main event because Cena hadn't recovered from elbow surgery that was more serious than expected.

This seems to indicate that fresh match-ups, or new guys in main events, can do better business, or at least did in this one instance, than bigger names in the same spot would. Again, this is not just Ryback doing a number above normal, but doing it on a show with no Cena.

I think Ryback/Punk drew just because people wanted to see how they booked their way out of it rather than because of a great desire to see Ryback and Punk in a match. A guy with a winning streak vs a guy people knew was holding the belt till Rock showed up.

somedevil

Anyone have a comparison to UFC PPV numbers? And is it true Vince challenged Dana White?

Dana said it was true, but it seems more like it be some kind of work to get a buy rate. UFC Pay view numbers:

Avg Buys:

2010: 579,375(16 shows)
2011: 421,875(16 shows)
2012: 402,00(13 shows)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That was one of my favortie 1995-97 Austin spots. Even as Ringmaster, early Austin was just vicious. It was so fun to watch him beat the crap out of jobbers on Raw.
I mean, I sometimes wondered how safe he was because he was one of the guys back in the day that you were like 'no no no wrestlings real. ringmaster beats the crap out of people!'
ringmaster4vj4j.gif

Kaladin

Dana said it was true, but it seems more like it be some kind of work to get a buy rate. UFC Pay view numbers:

Avg Buys:

2010: 579,375(16 shows)
2011: 421,875(16 shows)
2012: 402,00(13 shows)

When you take away Mania WWE's business sucks in comparison. Also, loosing Brock Lesnar really hurt UFC's buys.

Did Vader and Aja Kong ever team in a mixed tag?

Not to my knowledge, but that would have been pretty damn awesome, especially in the early 90's.

She did team with Yuki Ishikawa at one point in BattlArts for their intergender tag tournament. I distinctly remember being entertained by her beating the crap out of Mohammed Yone.

Ithil

That was one of my favortie 1995-97 Austin spots. Even as Ringmaster, early Austin was just vicious. It was so fun to watch him beat the crap out of jobbers on Raw.
I mean, I sometimes wondered how safe he was because he was one of the guys back in the day that you were like 'no no no wrestlings real. ringmaster beats the crap out of people!'
ringmaster4vj4j.gif

Still wearing his Hollywood Blondes boots. Austin says Vince wanted to put him in a green singlet, which he said hell no to and haggled down to the green trunks, but Vince just said wear your old boots and pads. The Ringmaster was definitely not one of Vince's most thought about gimmicks.

So, a kid asked The Miz "What's your best attribute." and Miz responded with "Most people would say that I'm the best on the Microphone."

I wonder, who would you guys say are the best on the Mic right now in WWE?

I'd say:

1. CM Punk
2. Chris Jericho
3. Maybe Miz?

If non-wrestlers count, then Paul Heyman in second.

Also, Miz is going to be in their new K-Mart commercial. Yay no more "I'M WWE SUPERSTAR SHEAMUS." Wonder if that Miz push is coming soon,

Alucard

Banned
Hey guys,

If you want to feel totally proud to be a wrestling fan, take 8 minutes out of your evening and watch this tear-jerking promo from Johnny Gargano from Prime Wrestling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tnt2j0SZJY

Shit got me choked up. Respect +100 for Gargano. Get this man into the E asap, and have him take over Cena's good guy persona.

291.jpg

He's got the look. He's got the mic skills. He can go in the ring. He's the total package, and he's an awesome human being.

strobogo

Banned
Better mic guys than Miz in WWE:

Punk
Cena
Rock
HHH
Heyman
Kane
D-Bryne
Booker
Regal
Sheamus
Big Shoe
Bear Rot Garrage
Ricardo
Jericho
Christian
Cody Rhodes
Damien Sandow
Zeb
Sometimes Dolph
AJ
Mark Henry

Alucard

Banned
For those who haven't watched the recent Bret Hart shoot interview, it's a must-see. Here he is talking about HHH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xSNJX1aBDSw&feature=endscreen

"I don't think he's ever had a great match."
"What has he ever done?"
"I thought it was mediocre, at best. 4 out of 10, maybe 3 out of 10." (talking about Taker/HHH match)
"I think Paul is a little overrated."

So bitter. I really hope Bret can move past this stuff and deal with his past with grace.

For those who haven't watched the recent Bret Hart shoot interview, it's a must-see. Here he is talking about HHH:

"What has he ever done?"
"I thought it was mediocre, at best. 4 out of 10, maybe 3 out of 10." (talking about Taker/HHH match)

So bitter. I really hope Bret can move past this stuff and deal with his past with grace.

I tend to agree. Triple H is horrible, I've always hated the dude. He mostly got over because of help from Shawn, and he'll never, ever, be in the same league as Shawn.

Razorskin

----- ------

"What has he ever done?"

zvj7TaR.jpg

When you have a t shirt saying you're over, you're not over.

Ithil

So, a kid asked The Miz "What's your best attribute." and Miz responded with "Most people would say that I'm the best on the Microphone."

I wonder, who would you guys say are the best on the Mic right now in WWE?

I'd say:

1. CM Punk
2. Chris Jericho
3. Maybe Miz?

If non-wrestlers count, then Paul Heyman in second.

Also, Miz is going to be in their new K-Mart commercial. Yay no more "I'M WWE SUPERSTAR SHEAMUS." Wonder if that Miz push is coming soon,

People on the current active roster better on the mic than the Miz, in alphabetical order:

AJ Lee
Antonio Cesaro
Big E Langston
Big Show
Chris Jericho
Christian
CM Punk
Cody Rhodes
Damien Sandow
Daniel Bryan
Dean Ambrose
Dolph Ziggler
Heath Slater
John Cena
Kane
Mark Henry
Ricardo Rodriguez
Sheamus
Tensai
Titus O Neil
Triple H
Undertaker
Wade Barrett

Tough luck, Miz. That's not even considering non-wrestlers like Heyman or Vince.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't think Bret seems bitter. He pretty much nailed HHH, IMO.

All HHH has done over the last 10+ years specifically is try desperately hard to convince everyone he's up there with Rock and Austin. He will never be up there. It just comes across as sad at this point.

Like these recent Taker/Brock matches. He's trying so hard to convince everyone, and sometimes I think even himself, that he's up there with HBK. He isn't.

strobogo

Banned
Not a lot of Ringmaster material to work with, honestly. That gimmick was pretty short.
austinsaviobpxd0.gif

But boy did he sure beat up Savio a lot throughout his career

Truth. It only lasted like 3 months. He came in as the Ringmaster, which was basically Stunning Steve with a different name. Then he became The Ringmaster Steve Austin, then Steve Austin, then Stone Cold Steve Austin with in a couple of weeks.

Also, I watched a HHH vs HBK match that was probably as good as their best stuff post HBK come back.

Alucard

Banned
I don't think Bret seems bitter. He pretty much nailed HHH, IMO.

All HHH has done over the last 10+ years specifically is try desperately hard to convince everyone he's up there with Rock and Austin. He will never be up there. It just comes across as sad at this point.

Like these current Taker/Brock matches. He's trying so hard to convince everyone, and sometimes I think even himself, that he's up there with HBK. He isn't.

Why would you say these things when you're still being treated kindly by the company, though? It's just stupid.

Omega

Banned
I have to agree with Bret.

especially reading how his feud with Booker ended. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now we find out HHH forced Shawn into retirement because he was tired of being #2

he tried so hard to be loved and still does. its sad. that's what a decade of burying everyone gets you.

Why would you say these things when you're still being treated kindly by the company, though? It's just stupid.

Cause he doesn't need them. There is also another interview where they ask him the same questions and he repeats the answers basically he doesn't care if WWE calls him tomorrow he's got enough money. Also i always like how HHH needs to be in gimmick matches

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, looks like Veetle is STILL shitting the bed. I think I should give up for tonight.

Razorskin

----- ------
Cause he doesn't need them. There is also another interview where they ask him the same questions and he repeats the answers basically he doesn't care if WWE calls him tomorrow he's got enough money. Also i always like how HHH needs to be in gimmick matches

I remember his last match with Nash at TLC 2011 with the sledgehammer over the ring :lol

Alucard

Banned

Fair enough about not needing more money. I appreciate the candid honesty, but I still think he doesn't need to slag on his ex co-workers as much as he has been since the screw job. Of course, I've never walked in his shoes, but I think at some point a guy has to look to the future with positivity and deal with his past disappointments and resentment with grace. If you listen to him talk about Hogan and Bischoff, it doesn't sound like he fully has. Of course, I have absolute sympathy for a guy who has dealt with so many setback and so much adversity in his life.

Watched Onita vs Akebono in their 'Big Fireworks' confrontation. The match was complete trash, but you've got to love an electrified, exploding barbedwire baseball bat;

ibaboaLATug0Yw.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, who has endured the most abuse in a wrestling ring?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Foley and Funk have to be up there.

I meant more from a deathmatch perspective - though both Foley and Funk have taken a beating out there, they didn't spend their whole career doing it.

Alucard

Banned
In the past 15 years or so, Jun Kasai - dude's a mess of scar tissue;

Necro Butcher deserves a mention too.

Do you actually find Necro Butcher matches entertaining? I don't think I've ever liked a single match he's been in. Feel like he's an adrenaline junkie who gets off on being put through chairs and tables.

Fair enough about not needing more money. I appreciate the candid honesty, but I still think he doesn't need to slag on his ex co-workers as much as he has been since the screw job. Of course, I've never walked in his shoes, but I think at some point a guy has to look to the future with positivity and deal with his past disappointments and resentment with grace. If you listen to him talk about Hogan and Bischoff, it doesn't sound like he fully has. Of course, I have absolute sympathy for a guy who has dealt with so many setback and so much adversity in his life.

for the most part Bret is being nice even though he's speaking ill of them he doesn't really go into details or personal attacks

Hogan
Nash
Bischoff
HBK(before his rebirth thing)
HHH
Russo

can't blame him for saying anything bad about any of these angels

Kaladin

Do you actually find Necro Butcher matches entertaining? I don't think I've ever liked a single match he's been in. Feel like he's an adrenaline junkie who gets off on being put through chairs and tables.

I used to be/still am a big fan of Necro Butcher. He's just dropped out of the main indies so I don't get to see him as often. His look was part of his appeal. If WWE still hired death match guys he could have been the next Mick Foley.

Special mention for Kintaro Kanemura's forehead;

http://i.minus.com/ibovPVLv0CBbMQ.jpg

Ever see Samoa Joe vs Necro or Low Ki vs Necro from IWA-MS? I loved those matches because it was just two dudes beating the living shit out of each other, but they aren't amazing wrestling matches. Necro's done some real fun stuff in Japan - I particularly liked a match of his against Masato Tanaka from a few years back. Necro always comes across really well as the crazy gaijin in Japan.

He's an above average deathmatch worker, but all that means is that he's not entirely shitty in the ring and can make his deathmatches seem more than dudes taking it in turns to hurt each other - if you're asking why I find deathmatches entertaining, I'm not entirely sure myself.

Joe vs Necro highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsrcwCkkE-s

Top Bottom