• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
AgcJiGR.png

strobogo

Banned
Congrats to Laser.

On a different note, how did the guys still under contract to Time Warner after the WCW buy out get around that to work for various indies? Like most of the WWA tours or Dusty's promotion?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Weird Virgil story from 2001:

Jones loves his dam job

Special to Figure Four Weekly

Mike Jones loves his dam job.

Jones, a 38-year-old former pro-wrestler, has been working for $8.50 an hour at the Aventura Resort Dam in Charleston, WV for the past six months.

“Every day I thank God for my dam job,” Jones said.

Jones has wrestled under various names, including Virgil and Vincent, for both World Championship Wrestling and the World Wrestling Federation. Last year he was released from his WCW contract and decided it was time to leave the wrestling business for good.

“I filled out the resume for Aventura the week after I got my termination notice,” Jones said. “I was worried at first, because I didn’t think they’d hire a 38-year-old man with no dam experience.”

Jones says working for Aventura is great because, unlike in the wrestling business, people aren’t trying to constantly stab you in the back.

“I get along great with all my dam co-workers,” Jones said. “We hang out in the dam cafeteria during our lunch breaks and I tell them about my days as a valet for ‘The Million Dollar Man’ Ted DiBiase. That was definitely the high point of my career. Outside this dam business, of course.”

Jones also likes the fact that his paychecks always arrive on time.

“Many times in wrestling I was screwed on a payoff,” Jones said. “But my dam manager, Russell Walters, has never screwed me. Not once. Every two weeks, there’s a dam paycheck in the mailbox.”

DiBiase, now a preacher with Heart of David Ministries in Clinton, Miss., fondly remembers Jones.

“He was a good guy,” DiBiase said. “I’m so happy he managed to land that dam job.”

Congrats Laser! Enjoyed the Colonial Marines video :)

Working my way through AAW's 'Durty Deeds', just watched Sami Callihan vs Davey Richards - this was another awesome match, both guys are so smooth in the ring and they put on an awesome, fast-paced opening stretch, followed by some excellent trading of holds as they worked over each other's legs. Sami eventually forced the advantage, but his knee gave out when he went for the lariat out of the corner and Davey goes to work, hitting some nasty kicks on the outside, one of which nearly makes Sami puke. However, Davey goes for the kick off the apron one too many times and Sami drills him head first before hitting a bottom rope suicide dive taking them both into the crowd. Sami hits Davey with a chair before bringing things back inside and scoring a near-fall with a big jackknife powerbomb. Sami hits a big shoulder breaker before going up top, but takes to long allowing Richards to try for a superplex. Sami ducks out underneath and shoots out Davey's leg before hitting a sit-out powerbomb and locking in the stretch muffler! Richards counters into the ankle lock, but as Sami rolls through Richards goes flying into the ref! Sami locks in the stretch muffler once more and Richards taps, but the ref's still out! Shane Hollister runs to the ring and hits a huge superkick right to Sami's skull. Richards covers him and the ref slowly makes the count, but Sami kicks out! Callihan spits at Richards, screams "Fuck you Davey!" as Richards kicks him in the skull with a thrust kick and two roundhouses for the 3-count. Real fun match, even with the ref bump shenanigans. The opening 5 or so minutes were really great too, both guys work very well together and watching them counter each other's holds was awesome. Looking forward to the next show and the Sami vs Hollister match, plus ACH vs Samuray Del Sol in the Heritage Title Tournament finals!

ibxoZ2tyCFm3BR.gif
iAm7FYK9eiX0N.gif
ibi0vTGfoV0VX6.gif

Kaladin

Good week this week, two good shows coming through the local bar, one of them being one of my favorite underground country singers and Friday night I'm going to an NXT house show and Saturday I'm going to see my first Chikara show live.

I also just read that Hank3 is releasing 2 albums soon and returning to the road.

Good week indeed.

Johnz

Neo Member
Good week this week, two good shows coming through the local bar, one of them being one of my favorite underground country singers and Friday night I'm going to an NXT house show and Saturday I'm going to see my first Chikara show live.

I also just read that Hank3 is releasing 2 albums soon and returning to the road.

Good week indeed.

So very jealous. Have a great time. If you spot generico take some pics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GWF's return tonight will be higher impact than Taker's old ass.

A NEW DIMENSION

Tonight!

American Males is one of the greatest themes in the history of our sport.

EDIT: And so is Ass Man.

EDIT 2: And Buff Daddy.

EDIT 3: What the hell!? There's so many great themes in this list. THEY HAVE AMAZING LYRICS. WTF!?

The moment I saw 619 I was thinking he better not be using “Watcha’ gonna do when you’re on your back from my mean body slam? Aww damn, you’re whack.”, but he did! that's like the best part even if Rey can't body slam people for shit, or maybe that's why I love it.

I think Kaitlyn's theme wins this one for me, those lyrics slayed me with sheer awfulness.
Thought the comments reminded me of X Factor, that entire track was pure concentrated suckage.
Oh and I forgot that Kung-Funaki was even a thing that happened.

Penguin

In preparation of WrestleMania, I started playing WrestleMania XIX on the Cube.

Does anyone remember the batshit insane story mode in this game?

Everyone needs to read the comments for that lyric article, it's a fantastic and hilarious reminder of how awful most wrasslin' lyrics are.

Nothing like slamming dock workers with oddly accomplished wrestling skills through scaffolding and into the ocean, it's amazing in its absurdity. The chain swinging platforming has some of the worst mechanics known to gaming.

I liked beating up nameless mooks as The Hurricane because it felt like what I'd imagine a 60's Batman game to feel like.

Watched the New Japan 41st Anniversary Show - glad this one wasn't an iPPV, as it wasn't top quality. Fun show though. I really enjoyed the opening Young Lions match - I much prefer the Japanese system of bringing up rookies with no gimmicks and no unique ring gear until they've gotten over on their wrestling alone, even if it makes it difficult to tell who's who. All four lads kicked the crap out of each other though and got good reactions from the crowd. The CHAOS vs Suzuki-gun elimination match was a lot of fun, Davey Boy Smith Jr. looked like an absolute beast here - amazing how much better he is away from a WWE ring, and we also got another round of Suzuki vs Okada. The Nakamura vs Lance Archer IC Title match was fine, but a bit awkward in places. Nakamura remains awesome.

The main event of Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt was super fun and, because of Devitt's popularity, brought out the boos for Tanahashi. However, unlike that smirking ass Cena, Tanahashi revels in the boos, mocking Devitt's signature pose, infuriating his haters with his air guitaring and, generally, just being a massive dick to Devitt, who responded by kicking Tanahashi's ass. The IWGP Heavyweight Champ gave a lot to his Jr. Heavyweight opponent here and had the crowd believing that there could be an upset in the works and, though Devitt ultimately came up short, there seems to be good potential for a rivalry here if Devitt makes the jump from Jr. to Heavyweight.

Nakamura - hater's gonna hate;

i4WOXa9aLXuA.gif

BOMA-YE!!

ibuTL5aeiNKxxi.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Davey Boy Jr is amazing outside of WWE, he's been fantastic. So, you're not too enthused about a program with Nakamura vs Archer?

Davey Boy Jr is amazing outside of WWE, he's been fantastic. So, you're not too enthused about a program with Nakamura vs Archer?

Not particularly, one match was enough for me - I think Archer definitely works better as a tag wrestler, none of his singles matches in New Japan have been anything more than just acceptable, but he is a big guy and has that monster gaijin look that the Japanese fans like. I'm expecting Davey Boy Jr's match with Nakamura in the NJ Cup to be a lot better.

Here's the Tanahashi vs Devitt match, well worth a watch;

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt - (NJPW 03/03/13)

Top Bottom