• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

For new page:

WrassleGAF... there is no wrassling on right now, so lets watch Summerslam 98 together! This thread could use a little attitude injection.

z2c9Wsh.jpg

Hair vs Hair!?
Falls Count Anywhere!?
Lions Den Match!?
Ladder Match!?
This show has more stips than a 2000 WCW PPV, but the matches are good! It's been a long time since I've watched this, lets see if it holds up.

Summerslam 1998 is happening live on WrestleJamTV starting at midnight in a few mins! Relive history with smarky gaffers!

Val Venis vs D-Lo, this is a hot opener for 98 Kappa

Ozone

So I was talking to my friend tonight about the 6-man tag at Mania. What if Orton turns on Sheamus and forms a team with Big Show? And then they call the team RKShow.

Penguin

A lot of creative changes went down within WWE around the time of this year's Royal Rumble pay-per-view. Vince McMahon hasn't been happy with the booking of WWE's undercard for a while now, which is the main reason why Eric Pankowski got fired two weeks ago.

- As noted before, the current plan is for Triple H to defeat Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 29. The big issue is that WWE officials want Lesnar to headline WrestleMania 30 against The Rock so he shouldn't be doing any jobs now. Regarding Rock vs. Brock, the plan is to do a subtle tease with the two on the RAW the night after WrestleMania this year. The idea is to only do a tease and not push it too hard so fans won't expect it's happening at SummerSlam.

I love that these two news pieces were together

"We have a problem with the mid-card.. ok we're gonna build to two part timers for next year!"

Kaladin

I love that these two news pieces were together

"We have a problem with the mid-card.. ok we're gonna build to two part timers for next year!"

The problem with the mid-card is The Rock and Brock can go away for a year, and I'd still want to see that match more than anything else they will put together for Mania 30.

strobogo

Banned
Didn't Claudio beat the shit out of Miz over and over with ease just like a month ago? Now he gets squashed by Miz? Why did they feud for two months before WM only for Miz to jump into an IC feud with Bear Rot 3 weeks before the big show? What the fuck? The booking that makes sense is for Claudio/Miz to have a blow off at WM, have Miz win, and have Claudio go on to bigger things. Instead, that feud is just completely dropped so Wade and Miz can promote their movies against each other.

Penguin

The problem with the mid-card is The Rock and Brock can go away for a year, and I'd still want to see that match more than anything else they will put together for Mania 30.

That falls on the WWE.. and talent to some degree

Watching old Manias on Sunflower's stream this weekend

Austin went from a throwaway match at Mania 12 with Savio Vega.. to the 2nd most high-profile.. and most famous match at Mania 13 in a year

The WWE can do a LOT to make you care about a character in a year.. if they wanted to

Kaladin

That falls on the WWE.. and talent to some degree

Watching old Manias on Sunflower's stream this weekend

Austin went from a throwaway match at Mania 12 with Savio Vega.. to the 2nd most high-profile.. and most famous match at Mania 13 in a year

The WWE can do a LOT to make you care about a character in a year.. if they wanted to

Thing is they won't. I'd like to FF five years and see the WWE then, because that's how long it will probably take anyone from the current mid card (except maybe Bryan or Cesaro or Ryback) to be permanent main event level.

Didn't Claudio beat the shit out of Miz over and over with ease just like a month ago? Now he gets squashed by Miz? Why did they feud for two months before WM only for Miz to jump into an IC feud with Bear Rot 3 weeks before the big show? What the fuck? The booking that makes sense is for Claudio/Miz to have a blow off at WM, have Miz win, and have Claudio go on to bigger things. Instead, that feud is just completely dropped so Wade and Miz can promote their movies against each other.

Seriously, the booking makes no damn sense. Did Cesaro steep on Triple H's foot or something? Why is he, the champion, being buried so hard.

Nebula

WWE wasting talent? Nothing new here.

I normally like to catch Smackdown, but if my man Cesaro is being used to job for The Miz, I'll just avoid watching it.

Wrestlemania is looking crap, and I would be the one paying for it. Hopefully the crowd is great, because they're the only way I can see this WM being saved.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
is this the highway to hell Summerslam or is that 99?

Reads boxart.

Cool. I saw this one for free somehow back in the day. I think my friend had a descrambler. It's a great PPV.

Penguin

is this the highway to hell Summerslam or is that 99?

Reads boxart.

Cool. I saw this one for free somehow back in the day. I think my friend had a descrambler. It's a great PPV.

I remember back in the day we when we didn't get PPVs.. we would stay up late.. for the HSN post-show which would always tell you the results and show some clips from the show haha

jred2k

I remember back in the day we when we didn't get PPVs.. we would stay up late.. for the HSN post-show which would always tell you the results and show some clips from the show haha

I had a 10ft satellite dish that got signal from the States and could descramble PPVs. Except the English feed would get constantly hit and taken off, so I ended up watching most of the PPvs with the Spanish announce team. Every main event went completely silent.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Shamrock was a good wrestler. Everything he does looks so damn vicious(because it was)! Complete crap on the mic though.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
http://i.imgur.com/C9jS2zL.jpg[IMG]

vs.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CoEMF6f.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Shamrock's suplexes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Swagger's anything. And I like Swagger in the ring.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This always bothered me.. especially with Angle

Who went from applying it like Shamrock to the standing one.. which I always thought was silly because it seems to hurt less

At least, he added the amazing grapevine to make you know it was over

Angle's was the best because he popped that shit out of nowhere.
How many other submissions can come 'outtanowhere!' it's like the anti-SCM/RKO
kurtlockhcpgg.gif

Anth0ny

I just watched No Way Out 2001.

Main event Rock vs. Kurt Angle.

Angle got the ankle lock, and as the ringside camera zoomed in on Angle's face, he yells "ROCK I WILL SNAP YOUR FUCKING ANKLE"

clear as crystal

gotta love Angle

strobogo

Banned
I have the PPV recording of SS98 at my mom's house somewhere. D'Lo vs Val was the match of the night, but X-Pac vs JJ was pretty awesome. Always hated the ladder match.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think Austin and Taker really ever had the match people hoped and expected out of them. This one had Austin knocked loopy early on, their ones in 1996/1997 were more about making Austin look competitive instead of having an all out match, and the ones in 2001 were right in the middle of Taker being a fat lazy fuck.

Slizeezyc

I don't think Austin and Taker really ever had the match people hoped and expected out of them. This one had Austin knocked loopy early on, their ones in 1996/1997 were more about making Austin look competitive instead of having an all out match, and the ones in 2001 were right in the middle of Taker being a fat lazy fuck.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I remember having huge expectations for this match, and while it wasn't bad, it was certainly overshadowed by Trips/Rock. Undertaker was a weird guy to mix with Austin though from a character perspective -- not that it should have taken away from their matches, but it left them lacking something.

strobogo

Banned
They should have worked best in 2001, but Taker was so lazy and out of shape for a lot of that period. Did they have one in 2002 with heel Biker Taker?

EDIT:

Wiki says they had a half hour number one contenders match. I don't remember it at all. All I remember from that show was Hogan ending HHH's month long title reign (lol) and Brock killing Jeff Hardy.

EDIT 2:

I don't think Rock and Taker really ever had a great match together, either. They did with Kurt Angle involved, but I don't remember a stand out singles match from them. To be fair, I don't remember many stand out Taker matches that didn't involve Bret, Shawn, or Foley before 2001/2002.

Slizeezyc

They should have worked best in 2001, but Taker was so lazy and out of shape for a lot of that period. Did they have one in 2002 with heel Biker Taker?

EDIT:

Wiki says they had a half hour number one contenders match. I don't remember it at all. All I remember from that show was Hogan ending HHH's month long title reign (lol) and Brock killing Jeff Hardy.

Yeah Flair was the Special Guest Ref -- coming off Taker slapping around Flair.

I do remember the promo for their Judgment Day match with a classic Austin line:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x98q0b_stone-cold-vs-undertaker-promo-judg_sport#.UUlcNxxwrwE

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think Rock and Taker really ever had a great match together, either. They did with Kurt Angle involved, but I don't remember a stand out singles match from them. To be fair, I don't remember many stand out Taker matches that didn't involve Bret, Shawn, or Foley before 2001/2002.

Undertaker vs Diesel was pretty awesome at the time. Just seeing two huge, over dudes beat the crap out of each other.
takernashl0k68.gif

Man, I mark so hard for Diesel music.

strobogo

Banned
I'm way more excited for the HOF than WM. Bruno, Mr. Backlund, Trish, Booker which hopefully means Stevie Ray...way more interesting than anything that's going to happen at WM. I would guess Goldust will probably induct Book, but I really hope for Stevie Ray. Suckas gotsa know!

strobogo

Banned
Fuck, I forgot about the PERFECT SWERVE! Mr. Perfect had been stealing HHH's women folk from ringside for about two months. Huner finally challenges Perfect to a match. Perfect accepts. On the night it was supposed to happen, HHH attacked Perfect. Gorilla wouldn't let him wrestle, so Marc Mero wrestles for him and puts the IC Championship on the line. Perfect waffles Mero with a chair at the end of the match and celebrates with HHH! THE PERFECT (SWERVE) HOAX! That's some WCW level shit right there. It made no sense. Particularly since Mero wasn't even the champion when the angle started. It started at least a full month if not longer before Mero even won the title. So was the plan to keep the charade up until he won the title, then fake an injury so Mero would fight for Perfect, and then SWERVE him? So silly, and I'm sure people were pissed that they were hyping up Mr. Perfect's in ring return when they had no plans to actually have him wrestle. Him saying he was in the best shape of his life when he clearly had a gut and looked like he hadn't worked out in 6 months was awesome, though.

via Imgflip GIF Generator

EDIT:

Stone Cold in the run up to the first match with Bret is pretty much the best thing ever. Jesus. So awesome. The show where he is at Standford and Bret is at his house is so great. Just Austin at HQ fucking with EVERYONE. Interrupts PS doing ad work, is all over Vince, makes hilarious faces while Bret is talking. It's so good. They've made Austin seem like the biggest deal in wrestling in just a few months. It's pretty incredible, actually. Bret coming back to face Austin because Austin is the best wrestler in the world and he wants to prove to himself that he can still hang with the best is putting a dude over to godly levels. At this point, Austin hadn't even been an IC Champ. So Bret Hart, basically the face of the company and most respected guy for the past 5 years comes back to face a mid card guy because he knows this guy is the best in the world. That'd be like Rock coming back and facing Antonio Cesaro because he thinks he's the greatest wrestler in the world. Not a dude who is already firmly established, but a new, young guy who is now seen as the real fucking deal immediately. It's amazing that it took another year and a half before he actually won the title.

strobogo

Banned
My god, PILLMAN'S GOT A GUN!!! This is awesome. I really forgot how amazing early Stone Cold was. This is an angle that would have been fucking crazy in 1999, let alone on the same show as shit like The Sultan. Vince was basically breaking character after it saying there is a difference between reality and what the WWF portrays as reality.

I can't imagine an angle like that today. Randy Orton should have had a gun when HHH broke into his house. Or a snake gun!

This is like a full proto Attitude Era show. Pillman has a gun, Vince breaking character, HBK and Sid having a press conference where Sid is saying things are bullshit if people really think he was in a nut house and walked into the WWF. And softball references! And HBK making Ric Flair references! And those two facing off at Survivor Series, but first having a tag title match but not being able to get along! And JR SHOOTING on Vince and being pissed he only got to do color on a jobber match! I'd be stunned if Russo didn't book this show.

EDIT: This is awesome. JR does this silly interview segment with HBK and Sid and wasn't informed of what was going on with Austin and Pillman. He gets to the booth after the break and tells Vince that he's going to be responsible if something happens to anyone out there. Vince gets pissed. "Hey...don't get smart. Don't get smart right now. DON'T GET WISE." King is trying to call the match and get them focused and tries to drown them out by actually calling it. JR basically telling Vince that it will be his fault if someone dies is awesome. Then they get a phone call from one of the producers on the phone from Pillman's house, which ends abruptly when people start yelling. "Sorry if we're not enthused for this match." The match was fake Razor vs Mero, so it's funny on a few levels. "LET HIM GO, I'M GOING TO KILL THAT SON OF A BITCH! LET HIM GO! LET HIM GO! LET HIM GO!" "SOMEBODY CALL THE POLICE!" Soo good.

Omega

Banned
Fuck, I forgot about the PERFECT SWERVE! Mr. Perfect had been stealing HHH's women folk from ringside for about two months. Huner finally challenges Perfect to a match. Perfect accepts. On the night it was supposed to happen, HHH attacked Perfect. Gorilla wouldn't let him wrestle, so Marc Mero wrestles for him and puts the IC Championship on the line. Perfect waffles Mero with a chair at the end of the match and celebrates with HHH! THE PERFECT (SWERVE) HOAX! That's some WCW level shit right there. It made no sense. Particularly since Mero wasn't even the champion when the angle started. It started at least a full month if not longer before Mero even won the title. So was the plan to keep the charade up until he won the title, then fake an injury so Mero would fight for Perfect, and then SWERVE him? So silly, and I'm sure people were pissed that they were hyping up Mr. Perfect's in ring return when they had no plans to actually have him wrestle. Him saying he was in the best shape of his life when he clearly had a gut and looked like he hadn't worked out in 6 months was awesome, though.

EDIT:

Stone Cold in the run up to the first match with Bret is pretty much the best thing ever. Jesus. So awesome. The show where he is at Standford and Bret is at his house is so great. Just Austin at HQ fucking with EVERYONE. Interrupts PS doing ad work, is all over Vince, makes hilarious faces while Bret is talking. It's so good. They've made Austin seem like the biggest deal in wrestling in just a few months. It's pretty incredible, actually. Bret coming back to face Austin because Austin is the best wrestler in the world and he wants to prove to himself that he can still hang with the best is putting a dude over to godly levels. At this point, Austin hadn't even been an IC Champ. So Bret Hart, basically the face of the company and most respected guy for the past 5 years comes back to face a mid card guy because he knows this guy is the best in the world. That'd be like Rock coming back and facing Antonio Cesaro because he thinks he's the greatest wrestler in the world. Not a dude who is already firmly established, but a new, young guy who is now seen as the real fucking deal immediately. It's amazing that it took another year and a half before he actually won the title.

yeah, Bret was instrumental to Stone Cold's success. watching one of SC's DVDs and WWE wasn't doing shit with him. it wasn't until Bret hand picked him to have a feud that SC got the chance he needed

he would have been forever stuck in midcard had it not been for Bret. and according to the DVD HHH was supposed to be the next big push but The Kliq had that moment at MSG and apparently Vince didn't care for it very much

strobogo

Banned
I don't believe any of that, though. Austin was getting a big push well before the feud with Bret. He was all over TV every week, being hyped as the incredible wrestler, being put in competitive matches with HBK and Taker and being protected in the finishes (dq and count out with Taker, dq with HBK). THEN came the Bret stuff. The revisionist history on how Austin was pushed is clearly bullshit if you actually watch the shows. He was being built up as the next big thing before the Bret feud. That just cemented it.

And as for HHH being punished for the Curtain Call, I'm not sure I really buy that, either. He wasn't doing anything before that happened. I don't think he was jobbing any more after it and won the IC Championship 5 months later. Actually, he hadn't done anything all year. Until the Perfect angle, he hadn't had anything except for a brief 2 week feud with Mero. He actually got an angle after the Curtain Call. It's not like HHH was some world beater before that. He got squashed at WM, lost his woman, and then lost the feud with Mero. That's pretty much all he had done all year until the angle with Perfect started, which was a few months after Curtain Call. So, if you call actually getting TV time, an angle, and a championship being punished, then I guess he was punished.

Omega

Banned
I don't believe any of that, though. Austin was getting a big push well before the feud with Bret. He was all over TV every week, being hyped as the incredible wrestler, being put in competitive matches with HBK and Taker and being protected in the finishes (dq and count out with Taker, dq with HBK). THEN came the Bret stuff. The revisionist history on how Austin was pushed is clearly bullshit if you actually watch the shows. He was being built up as the next big thing before the Bret feud. That just cemented it.

And as for HHH being punished for the Curtain Call, I'm not sure I really buy that, either. He wasn't doing anything before that happened. I don't think he was jobbing any more after it and won the IC Championship 5 months later. Actually, he hadn't done anything all year. Until the Perfect angle, he hadn't had anything except for a brief 2 week feud with Mero. He actually got an angle after the Curtain Call. It's not like HHH was some world beater before that. He got squashed at WM, lost his woman, and then lost the feud with Mero. That's pretty much all he had done all year until the angle with Perfect started, which was a few months after Curtain Call. So, if you call actually getting TV time, an angle, and a championship being punished, then I guess he was punished.

lol WWE. purposely making themselves look incompetent

i'll take your word since you're actually watching the shows

Top Bottom