• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

You love them.
We the people love them

Edit: New page!!!

825333FD-538E-4BA6-8493-F6D52AB354C0-1573-000000E3E2818A1F_zpsfbe94d54.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Was Generico still maskless? That makes me so sad. Why would you hire Generico and take his mask off? Why wouldn't you bring him straight up and sell those fucking masks?

Kyoufu

Was Generico still maskless? That makes me so sad. Why would you hire Generico and take his mask off? Why wouldn't you bring him straight up and sell those fucking masks?

WWE.

Maybe Sin Cara feels insulted by some American dude wearing a Luchador mask for comedy?

Ithil

You can always give him the mask back later. It's the kind of gimmick you can jump into and still make sense with. Have him get hit in the head, wake up and the first thing he sees is Sin Cara, so he starts believing he's a luchador.

strobogo

Banned
That'd be awesome, but I think if there is one dude on the indies that needs zero changing to fit in perfectly in WWE, it's Generico. Maybe tone down some head droppy stuff and he's absolutely perfect and TV ready exactly how he is. There is no way he wouldn't be over after two appearances if he did exactly what he did in PWG on Raw. It's particularly weird since Claudio, Hero, and PAC have been exactly the same just with different names.

Aiii

So not worth it

Maybe Generico didn't want to sell them the rights to his mask?

Aiii

So not worth it
Ugh, Smackdown starts with MizTV.

If AJ wasn't on this show I'd turn it right off. Time to FF.

-on the plus side, JBL is back, and Cole is still there along with Matthews. JBL and Cole on commentary are gold.

strobogo

Banned
Then use a different, even more generic mask. The mask is such an important part of him. The same WWE that not only made Rey put his mask back on (EXCELLENT call, though), but also blurred out footage of Rey in the last 2 years of WCW for years would sign a guy who is great for kids and has built in merchandise, but removes the merch opportunity from the start?

I guess it worked out for ADR, though.

jmdajr

I disagree to an extent

I like what Ryder did
But in the entire time.. and even now.. I don't feel he has improved in the ring at all

His matches.. sans with Ziggler do very little for me. He has the broski boot, the Rough Ryder.. and the double knees in the corner.. that's about it

I would say in a way Ryder has overachieved really. Considering his gimmick and ring skills, he went pretty far.

Aiii

So not worth it
y ya'll hate Rocky, I don't get it? He's about the only reason to watch WWE, along with Punk.

We don't hate The Rock.

I do hate current era "haha, I bought a car and there was a crachhead on the backseat haha" while King and Cole go *snicker*snort* on commentary - Rock.

Also, the fact they put the title on him when he wasn't able to commit to every Raw between the Rumble and WrestleMania was a catastrophic mistake on WWE's part.

Guzim

One thing that wasn't mentioned was this dude int he crowd had an Emma sign that was a huge cutout of her, and he had strings attached to it so he could move the arms on a pulley system and make the sign do her dance. It was cracking me up all night! I hope it gets on the show, because it was genius!

I really hope that makes it.

rvy

Banned
What? No, I love Rock, I meant AJ was the people's diva, not Rock. He's well past his prime, but he shit on most of the roster still.

Ah, lol. My mistake. I'm just surprised at how much shit people throw at him in this thread or the Internet in general. The comments section in SEScoops will give you a headache, for example.

Also, the fact they put the title on him when he wasn't able to commit to every Raw between the Rumble and WrestleMania was a catastrophic mistake on WWE's part.

So, you think they should have kept it on Punk or go with Cena? Because we all know those are the other realistic choices.

strobogo

Banned
I wish Robbie E had been in Zack Ryder's spot, which says a lot because the idea of Robbie E as a Ryder knock off was embarrassing, especially since they only hired him because he was a lot cheaper than an ROH guy. As it turns out, Robbie E has been one of the most enjoyable dudes in TNA after his first month or so.

Robbie E is way funnier, douchier in the best way possible, and is at least on par if not slightly better than Ryder in the ring. But he's so much more into his character and stooging off that it's always awesome.

We don't hate The Rock.

I do hate current era "haha, I bought a car and there was a crachhead on the backseat haha" while King and Cole go *snicker*snort* on commentary - Rock.

Does anyone really think that Rock being on every Raw would be making anyone want to see Twice in a Lifetime any more? Or that the WWE Championship would really matter more? I mean, the WWE Championship really didn't mean a whole lot since last Spring. Is Rock not even being on the show any worse than Punk's reign not meaning anything until AFTER he lost it?

F**k it man NXT sounds so much more interesting than Raw. >_>

We use to get it here on TV and I really enjoyed it, ended at the start of the year though and now we have Main Event showing in its place. :| :| :| :| :|

Main Event which is just Smackdown-shitty-light (if you can believe that) and I get to see the same dumb matches a thousand times. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I would seriously rather watch Saturday Morning Slam than Main Event. F**king Miz piss off.

Dead Man

Ah, lol. My mistake. I'm just surprised at how much shit people throw at him in this thread or the Internet in general. The comments section in SEScoops will give you a headache, for example.
No worries. I've not been keeping up with wrestling for the last year or so outside a couple ppv's, so I've missed all the fun by the sounds of it.

Rock is one of those "IN 2013!?" type characters. his shtick is boring as fuck, his in-ring work passable and he didn't even bother to show up to put someone new over.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, you think they should have kept it on Punk or go with Cena? Because we all know those are the other realistic choices.

Yes, they should've put it on Cena. The story wouldn't have been that different and at least the champion would've been on the show.

rvy

Banned
Rock is one of those "IN 2013!?" type characters. his shtick is boring as fuck, his in-ring work passable and he didn't even bother to show up to put someone new over.

His shtick is boring because he can't get away with the stuff he did back in 2001.
And if he changed his shtick, people would all be whining that he changed it and should have kept the old one.

His fine, I really don't mind it. Still entertaining. I'll take Rock's old shtick over almost everyone on the roster.

Yes, they should've put it on Cena. The story wouldn't have been that different and at least the champion would've been on the show.

john-cena-1.gif

I would agree with you if they turned him heel, but not with this shit he's been doing since 2004.

So why don't you just download NXT than?

Cause then I'd have nothing to complain about. :(

Dwayne is terrible, everything about him is fake, I don't believe he's there 'for the love of the fans' and all that BS yet we have to hear about it all the time. His terrible stories blabbing on about nothing are worst than ever and all his promos in general are just word jumble fillers that make the morons on commentary snicker at its 'hilarity'.

His whole act is so boring and tired, he achieved the impossible in making me want Cena..... the king of tired wrestling shit to win. That is a pretty good accomplishment. :|

The fact that he is the WWE champion and in the main event AGAIN instead of Cena vs Punk (the feud that should have been the top thing in the company) and can't even commit to showing up to promote the biggest PPV of the year for a few weeks is a disgrace. They've even been hiding Cena mostly because it looks bad him being there and Dwayne not.

Now instead of having an awesome match we'll have zzzzzzzzzzzzzz head lock cause Hollywood Dwayne needs a breather.

Stuff that guy.

Oh look I found something else to complain about. :p

y ya'll hate Rocky, I don't get it? He's about the only reason to watch WWE, along with Punk.

I love Rock, and will always consider his "Hollywood" phase some of the most entertaining wrestling stuff I have ever seen. The problem is that current day Rock does absolutely nothing for me. His promos are stale and boring (his car with a crackhead in it promo was Cena quality), he's hardly ever there, and he has zero stamina which results in his matches being a series of rest holds

Aiii

So not worth it
AJ on commentary is awesome!

AJ: I'm going to have that man's baby's.
Cole: Who? Kofi's?
AJ: Ziggler! And they are going to have glorious hair and abs of a greek god.

I need more of this WWE.

Aiii

So not worth it
No respect for the people who built this industry from the ground up. The Rock made Hollywood what it is today, dammit. You youngbloods.

Pft, I've been watching wrestling since I was seven or so. If Rock wants to piss on his own legacy by giving bad promo's, that's on him!

strobogo

Banned

You know what's awesome? Bork is basically exactly the same character he was when he debuted in 2002, yet is taken more seriously than the entire roster, with Mark Henry being the only dude even close to his level of "shit is about to get real" when he arrives. Big bad ass who fucks people up never goes out of style.

Well, yeah, Hollywood Rock is legendary. And he could absolutely pull it off these days, kind of a waste.

It'd be even BETTER today, since he's actually a movie star now and really can't be bothered to show up to the wrestling shows. 2003 was a "uuuhh, Vince, I'm not sure this movie thing is working out like we thought, can I come back for a bit?".

rvy

Banned
I love Rock, and will always consider his "Hollywood" phase some of the most entertaining wrestling stuff I have ever seen. The problem is that current day Rock does absolutely nothing for me. His promos are stale and boring, he's hardly ever there, and he has zero stamina which results in his matches being a series of rest holds

Well, yeah, Hollywood Rock is legendary. And he could absolutely pull it off these days, kind of a waste.

Ithil

He really isn't. He hasn't even been seen in two weeks, and when he's there, he just has lame segments with Cena.

Yes we all loved him a decade ago, but he's not getting a free pass now, he's not done anything interesting since about January. Even then he's lost all his character he once had, he's basically Rocky Maivia, with more jokes (all that nonstop praising of the "people").

Jamie OD

NXT taping was seriously good last night! All the spoilers have already been posted, but there were no pure "jobber matches" like there have been in the past, and well worth the money.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was this dude int he crowd had an Emma sign that was a huge cutout of her, and he had strings attached to it so he could move the arms on a pulley system and make the sign do her dance. It was cracking me up all night! I hope it gets on the show, because it was genius!

BF6S8R3CEAAKC25.jpg

rvy

Banned
He really isn't. He hasn't even been seen in two weeks, and when he's there, he just has lame segments with Cena.

Yes we all loved him a decade ago, but he's not getting a free pass now, he's not done anything interesting since about January.

We're still in March. Cena hasn't done anything interesting since 2006.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just because you hate Cena, shouldn't automatically mean you are for whoever he is going up against.

They can both be bad characters.

It certainly doesn't do Rock any favors, but his feud with Punk wasn't that amazing either.

Rock should get "You have lost it" chants during his promo's.

You know what's awesome? Bork is basically exactly the same character he was when he debuted in 2002, yet is taken more seriously than the entire roster, with Mark Henry being the only dude even close to his level of "shit is about to get real" when he arrives. Big bad ass who fucks people up never goes out of style.

bingo.

guys who got over on in-ring work, either due to the brutality or high level technique of it, are always over.

look at Vader, he never got boring cause he didn't base his work around forced promos, repeating ad-nauseam stupid puns till they became chants with the live crowds. he got over because he destroyed guys in the ring and that never gets old.

Rock isn't the problem, it's WWE. They need Rock because they have no one else to draw that mainstream appeal - now, considering their inability to create stars that have a true cultural impact as guys like Austin, Hogan & The Rock did, you'd think that they'd perhaps alter their business model to something aimed at pleasing the core audience year round and making sure as many of those regular viewers buy Mania as possible, rather than pandering to a group of hardly-fans who are only ever going to buy Mania and only Mania. It's all well and good doing that when you've got these part-timers to draw mainstream interest for the biggest show of the year, but what happens when Rock's gone, Brock's gone, Cena's retired, etc? What happens when you're left with a bunch of guys who are only famous to wrestling fans? Start pandering to them, I guess, but perhaps by then it'll be too late.

Aiii

So not worth it
Rock isn't the problem, it's WWE. They need Rock because they have no one else to draw that mainstream appeal - now, considering their inability to create stars that have a true cultural impact as guys like Austin, Hogan & The Rock did, you'd think that they'd perhaps alter their business model to something aimed at pleasing the core audience year round and making sure as many of those regular viewers buy Mania as possible, rather than pandering to a group of hardly-fans who are only ever going to buy Mania and only Mania. It's all well and good doing that when you've got these part-timers to draw mainstream interest for the biggest show of the year, but what happens when Rock's gone, Brock's gone, Cena's retired, etc? What happens when you're left with a bunch of guys who are only famous to wrestling fans? Start pandering to them, I guess, but perhaps by then it'll be too late.

IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!

23516.jpg

Ithil

Vince is all about instant gratification and thinking about the immediate payoff. No long term thinking in any aspect of the company.

strobogo

Banned
Does Rock really draw in people who aren't wrestling fans, or just lapsed fans who tune into see him return, and then tune out when they find the 3 1/2 hour show every Monday is fucking awful? I don't think people who never watch wrestling and only know him from Fast 5 or Disney movies is going to throw down $70 to see him wrestle on PPV.

Top Bottom