• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Dead Man

Does Rock really draw in people who aren't wrestling fans, or just lapsed fans who tune into see him return, and then tune out when they find the 3 1/2 hour show every Monday is fucking awful? I don't think people who never watch wrestling and only know him from Fast 5 or Disney movies is going to throw down $70 to see him wrestle on PPV.

Probably the bold, but if the product was good, that would be enough.

Omega

Banned
the reason I hate the Rock is because he came back to do nothing. Older superstars should help put over the younger/unproven talent. him being back is pointless.

the kids that know him from shitty movies don't have $70 to spend on PPVs. i would hope no parent spends $70 for 30 minutes of "enertainment" either. after he bails on WWE again why would these part time fans stay? they don't make anyone likeable. Bryan is the only one and he got over by accident

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So someone had to remind me Del Rio was champion the other day. After seeing him appear on Superstars and not on Smackdown for one week, then everything treated as a person feud rather than anything about the title, I just forgot. I'm used to the U.S. title not mattering outside of letting my favourite Swiss Death Machine show up sooner on the WWE.com roster list, and IC is just bundled around for a fill in spot for guys who have nothing better to do, but I wish they would at least pretend their second biggest title mattered at all.

I get Rock isn't on with the WWE championship, but that doesn't mean they have to downplay the second belt.

Does anyone know of any bars or pubs in London showing wrestlemania?

Belushis over in Shepherds Bush will be doing a showing. Not a bad place for it.

Yeah, real shame TWC went under, they did a great job sourcing old World of Sport shows - often you'll find WOS sets that have just been recorded from TWC, as those broadcasts were better quality than the VHS tapes floating around the scene, which were usually 3rd generation or higher.

Thank god for them too. I had so many matches no longer playable due to all the years since they've been recorded and some I had never seen before. Been great for Youtube and other video sites since guys like Regal and Brookside can now just show what they are talking about instead of just saying "take my word for it".

Imagine if Ultimate Warrior and Macho man had script writers?

For real, we need a little bit of unpredictability back. I want to see some stuff that's just way out there, and I don't mean just shooting.

Being able to understand and follow his promo would ruin it wouldn't it?

Everyone else though, yeah bullet points and guide lines are needed to make it feel more natural to be sure. Except Ryder below, if he still has a job when this goes into effect.

*Bonus: Hornswoggle: How the hell does this guy manage to stay employed?

The kids love him and who else is going to ride with Khali in the car?

I disagree to an extent

I like what Ryder did
But in the entire time.. and even now.. I don't feel he has improved in the ring at all

His matches.. sans with Ziggler do very little for me. He has the broski boot, the Rough Ryder.. and the double knees in the corner.. that's about it

Which is exactly the real problem. I like Zack for his Youtube show, I wanted him to do well, it's just that once given the time and chance to do something with he always falls flat with promos or matches. Even without that Cena, Kane, Eve storyline he was buried under, he would have ended up in the same position.

The only reason the Youtube show worked is because he had to work so hard at it and could script it and refilm it when needed. Also Scott Stanford.

Not sure how Kofi would work as a heel, but would be curious to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbQcXE59eDk

Also, I'm sad that no one cared about the Kanyon Cutter video. I put...so little work into it.

I have a firm no wub wub acceptance policy. Not for you, not for WWE, not for anything.

NXT Spoilers:
Emma b. Bayley via submission. Kyle says the crowd is as hot for her as they are with Paige.

Muta Lock
I'm told it was. I love that she's in NXT, hilariously bad dancing and all. She was wonderful to get to know in ECCW, and she deserves all the fan support she can get in NXT.

Isn't her gimmick essentially being goofy as hell?

The gimmick is actually supposed to be a horrible dancer and so-so wrestler so full of herself she simply has no idea how bad it actually is and simply can't accept any criticism. It's just that she couldn't do it without being goofy and thanks to NXT's freedom (Regal, Dusty, Mercury, HHH), they went with it.

As addictive as Emma goes. That gimmick will get ruined the second she shows up on the main roster with King and Michael Cole doing their fake laughter and "what a goof" bullshit they do to bury talent/segments.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BTW like BillRiccio said, the Hillbilly Jim episode of Art of Wrestling was really good and worth listening to. What a cool dude.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ryder should be a heel, he's playing a douchebag, he should act like a douchebag.

Really, we should love a Just Bieber loving Jersey boy?

That's why Robbie E works better, because he's doing the same character as a heel.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I do like Hillbilly Jim, but I find it hard to listen to Cabana these days. Just how bad is he at laughing at his own jokes and mangling of words these days?

Ryder should be a heel, he's playing a douchebag, he should act like a douchebag.

That's why Robbie E works better, because he's doing the same character as a heel.

It couldn't hurt to try, but I don't really see any improvement from his time as one in WWE's ECW. Of course it was against old-man Tommy Dreamer and with guys like Abraham Washington to dull it out.

As addictive as Emma goes. That gimmick will get ruined the second she shows up on the main roster with King and Michael Cole doing their fake laughter and "what a goof" bullshit they do to bury talent/segments.

From how people in here respond, every gimmick is ruined by those two these days. Would even Undertaker make if announcers acted like that back then?

Penguin

Yeah, I think it's a much more relateable heel than it is hero.

The underdog thing works for a bit.. but you get tired of seeing a dude get beat up and then score a fluke win

jred2k

Those NXT spoilers look great, the next month of viewing should be fun.

I guess going by the dates of the night of champions we should expect Cesaro and Barrett to retain at WM and going forward?

These guys seem to be running out of viable challengers at their current place in the card, so I wonder if we can expect some heel/face changes after WM. The R-Truth/Kofi/Miz cycle is starting to become stale. Maybe we'll see some of the talent from NXT get called up and start going for those belts?

Probably a stupid question, but does that mean that they tape several weeks worth of NXT on one night, and just split them up into portions? Huh.

Aiii

So not worth it
Probably a stupid question, but does that mean that they tape several weeks worth of NXT on one night, and just split them up into portions? Huh.

Sorry to shatter the illusion, but yeah, that's what they've been doing from the start.

strobogo

Banned
I don't understand why WWE doesn't have all of their WWE Classic stuff on Youtube. They have their giant YT portal that they plug constantly, but they put their full matches on their own site where they shoulder all the costs and upload everything in shitty, jerky quality. They used to have most of that stuff on YT. I think it would make a lot of sense to just have the player on their own site just be embedded YT. What the fuck? What's the point of putting 700 matches online when they're pretty much unwatchable?

Kaladin

TNA's new X-Division rules.....lol....

The X-Division is evolving! New Rules Announced! 230lb Weight Limit!

All X-Division championship matches will now be held under triple threat rules. The champion will have two challengers at the same time and has a thirty-three percent chance of retaining the title and runs the risk of losing the title without being pinned. The high-stakes title match has consequences for the challengers as well. The wrestler pinned in the X-Division championship match is eliminated from a future title match while the wrestler who isn’t involved in the decision gets to compete in the next X-Division title match.

So where will the next contender come from?

New contenders will be also decided via a Triple Threat match. Fresh faces, former champions or recently eliminated contenders all will battle with one winner advancing into the next X-Division title match.

So I guess all x-division matches are triple threat matches going forward?

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't understand why WWE doesn't have all of their WWE Classic stuff on Youtube. They have their giant YT portal that they plug constantly, but they put their full matches on their own site where they shoulder all the costs and upload everything in shitty, jerky quality. They used to have most of that stuff on YT. I think it would make a lot of sense to just have the player on their own site just be embedded YT. What the fuck? What's the point of putting 700 matches online when they're pretty much unwatchable?

The problem is that their contract with YT was for one year and has expired. I don't think they renewed it, it's either too costly for YT or they have forsaken that model for now (similar projects YT funded like MyMusic by TheFineBros also ended recently). Also, you have to consider that putting this stuff on YT requires alot of effort and you're essentially handing over the content to a third party. What if YT decides to end it services next month? WWE would have all their content removed in one fell swoop with no alternatives. I can understand them wanting to keep it under their own management.

So I guess all x-division matches are triple threat matches going forward?

That's the idea.

jmdajr

shake2gif_zps78dcce68.gif

strobogo

Banned
The problem is that their contract with YT was for one year and has expired. I don't think they renewed it, it's either too costly for YT or they have forsaken that model for now (similar projects YT funded like MyMusic by TheFineBros also ended recently). Also, you have to consider that putting this stuff on YT requires alot of effort and you're essentially handing over the content to a third party. What if YT decides to end it services next month? WWE would have all their content removed in one fell swoop with no alternatives. I can understand them wanting to keep it under their own management.

That's the idea.

If that's the case, they really need to work on the quality so it doesn't glitch like a Real Player video from 1998.

Night One – March 22nd 2013
* Guerrilla Warfare: Drake Younger vs. Sami Callihan
* AR Fox & Samuray Del Sol vs. The Inner City Machine Guns (Ricochet & Rich Swann)
* Trent? (formerly Trent Barretta of WWE) vs. Roderick Strong
* The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) vs. Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano
* Kevin Steen vs. Paul London
* Jay Lethal vs. Eddie Edwards
* Future Shock (Kyle O'Reilly & Adam Cole) vs. The Unbreakable Fucking Machines (Brian Cage & Michael Elgin)

Night Two – March 23rd 2013
* PWG World Championship: Adam Cole (Champion) vs. Winner of Younger vs. Callihan from Night One
* PWG World Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) (Champions) vs. The Dojo Bros (Roderick Strong & Eddie Edwards)
* Kevin Steen vs. AR Fox
* RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) vs. Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor
* TJ Perkins vs. Samuray Del Sol
* The Inner City Machine Guns (Ricochet & Rich Swann) vs. The Unbreakable Fucking Machines (Brian Cage & Michael Elgin)
* Trent? (formerly Trent Barretta of WWE) vs. Paul London
* Jay Lethal vs. Willie Mack
* Kyle O'Reilly vs. Loser of Sami Callihan vs. Drake Younger from Night One

Anyone going?

rofl her flying is the best one

strobogo

Banned
When I see something like Trent? that always has "former WWE superstar ___" attached, it makes me want some dude to always be announced as "Former WWE Superstar ____". Could someone do that without getting sued?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vince must be pissed as hell!

Also guys, the Ducktales game sucked when it was on the NES. The only thing it had going for it was the music. IT IS NOT A GOOD GAME. Why get excited for it? Aaaagh

gurudyne

Rock's gonna have to suck up extra hard to the crowd on Monday to make up for abandoning them like this.

And I'm glad to see this whole thing isn't a huge waste of time and money better spent elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry guys, Ducktales sucked as a game.

8SZ2UR5.gif

I played it recently too. So bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Although his matches with Taker and Cena were pretty awesome.

His last run with Cena was pretty great, not as technical masterpieces but because he was able to let his douchetista character permeate his ringwork. That's how I feel at least.

"I hate you Batista!" "I HATE YOU TOO" wonderful moment.

Top Bottom