• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Classic Match of the Day:

Tatsumi Fujinami (c) vs Tony Rocco - (NJPW 09/11/80)

Working my way through a New Japan 80's collection I found this match with Tatsumi Fujinami defending the WWF Light Heavyweight Title against a guy called Tony Rocco. I initially confused him with British wrestler Mark Rocco (who was the original Black Tiger), so was surprised to find that Fujinami's opponent here was someone entirely different. From what I can gather, this guy's an Italian wrestler who worked in the Los Angeles area in the 70's, as well as for the AWA and WWWF. He toured with New Japan from '78-'81 and this is the first match of his I've encountered and I'm not really sure why, because this is a really enjoyable match. They start off with some excellent mat work, Rocco has some nasty looking holds and really wrenches in on Fujinami, who gets to show off his versatility in coping with the European wrestling style. Rocco looks every bit the seasoned veteran here as he takes control, but inevitably Fujinami hits some explosive offence, livening things up in spectacular fashion. Rocco shows a mean streak as he tries to ground Fujinami with some big power moves of his own, before they really kick it up a gear with an excellent finishing stretch. The pin lets it down somewhat, but Rocco's reaction more than makes up for it. If you're a fan of proper wrasslin', check this match out because Rocco's just great at what he does and he helps make Fujinami look great in the process. Real fun light heavyweight bout with a good contrast of styles and some excellent mat work and selling from both guys.

Here's the playlist of other classic matches so far;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j4f3

• Takako Inoue vs Kyoko Inoue - (AJW 01/24/93)
  • Tiger Mask (c) vs Bret Hart - WWF Light Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 02/05/82)
  • Stan Hansen vs Andre the Giant - (NJPW 09/23/81)
  • Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - Real World Tag League FINAL - (AJPW 12/03/93)
  • Jumbo Tsuruta & Tiger Mask II (c) vs Stan Hansen & Ted DiBiase - PWF World Tag Team Championship - (AJPW 11/07/87)
  • Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Nobuhiko Takada - IWGP Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 10/09/95)
  • Aja Kong (c) vs Dynamite Kansai - WWWA Title Match - (AJW 08/25/93)
  • Naoki Sano vs Masakatsu Funaki - (SWS 04/01/91)
  • Koji Kanemoto (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 01/04/96)
  • Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta (c) - AWA Heavyweight Title & NWA United International Title - (AJPW 02/23/84)
  • Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen - (AJPW 04/14/83)
  • Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs El Samurai - Top of the Super Jr's III FINAL - (NJPW 04/30/92)
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (WAR 11/27/97)

tm24

8 man tag now and did Tama Tonga enter wearing his CMLL tag belt? Didn't he quit CMLL?
Tama didnt quit. He was just on tour with them for a bit. NJPW sends a lot of their rookies to CMLL to get experience. Giving him the title was just a way to tell fans he was coming back, since the fans enjoyed him. Also, titles dont mean that much in lucha anyways, so its no big deal that it doesnt get defended til Tama comes back for another tour probably this summer

Also. Drake/sami was amazing

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alright! Tonight is the NJPW ippv! I'm excited and ready, just about 12 hours to go?

Alright! Tonight is the NJPW ippv! I'm excited and ready, just about 12 hours to go?

Uh...the iPPV was on about 9 and a half hours ago, lol. The replay is up now though, and it's SHINE 8 tonight at 7:30 EST!

SHINE 8 - 03/23/13

ib0MQYT3Xk3W99.jpg

http://wwnlive.com/event-shine-03-23-13.html - $9.99 - 23:30 GMT | 19:30 EDT | 16:30 PDT

. SHINE vs Valkyrie: Amazing Kong, Angelina Love, Mia Yim & Christina Von Eerie vs Rain, Ivelisse, Taylor Made & Allysin Kay
. Career vs Respect: Reby Sky vs Jessicka Havoc
. Pick Your Poison - I Quit/Fans Bring the Weapons: Leva Bates vs Kimberly
. Mercedes Martinez vs Nikki Roxx
. Santana vs Sojo Bolt
. Brandi Wine vs Jayme Jameson
. Su Yung vs Brittney Savage
. Nikki St. John vs Luscious Latasha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
...shit. So which should I do? I can't do both, too much sitting on my ass for one day. Wait for SHINE or get a surely solid njpw ippv?

...shit. So which should I do? I can't do both, too much sitting on my ass for one day. Wait for SHINE or get a surely solid njpw ippv?

Hard to say, SHINE should be a fun show, especially the top two matches, but the NJPW iPPV was pretty damn awesome - all the NJ Cup matches delivered, especially the main event, and the CHAOS vs Suzuki-gun 6-man tag and Devitt vs Tanahashi 8-man tag matches were a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to say, SHINE should be a fun show, especially the top two matches, but the NJPW iPPV was pretty damn awesome - all the NJ Cup matches delivered, especially the main event, and the CHAOS vs Suzuki-gun 6-man tag and Devitt vs Tanahashi 8-man tag matches were a lot of fun.

I think I'm gonna wait and watch SHINE tonight, then NJPW later. Might as well hit one of em live, and I like to support women's wrestling whenever I can.

Watching Raw's 100 top moments.

Holy shit. When did I miss Koslov dressed as one of the Avengers (UK)!?

16232806.jpg

Man, he really became funny before he left.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Same here, watched the first 20 or so yesterday. It's ok.

I think I'm gonna wait and watch SHINE tonight, then NJPW later. Might as well hit one of em live, and I like to support women's wrestling whenever I can.

Good call, should be a great show - I'm really looking forward to Reby Sky vs Jessicka Havoc. I wasn't that sold on Reby at first, but Havoc has really brought the best out in her. Kimberly vs Leva should be fun too, I've been quite impressed with Kimberly in SHINE so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good call, should be a great show - I'm really looking forward to Reby Sky vs Jessicka Havoc. I wasn't that sold on Reby at first, but Havoc has really brought the best out in her. Kimberly vs Leva should be fun too, I've been quite impressed with Kimberly in SHINE so far.

I grudgingly watch Reby Sky and I hate to admit it. I'm still cold on her, but Havoc is SO GOOOOOOOOOOOD. That's who I'm paying for! But yeah Kimberly is so good too. Ugh it's gonna be good.

Omega

Banned
Im watching the KOTR DVD on Netflix, I think it was the 97 KOTR - Stone Cold vs HBK. Tim White takes a bump so since Austin couldn't get his 3 count, he waits for Tim White to get back up and stunners him

i laughed for a good 5-10 minutes. i don't think Austin was even in his "stunner everything that moves" phase yet.

Wow. Even Sky in the UK are charging £18 for WM. All PPVs they charge for are normally £15.

Ridiculous.

The line has been crossed!
It should be £3 less for the shitty build so far, not £3 more.
I also use wild prediction powers to guess that the build will remain shitty all the way to WM itself.

tm24

Toru Yano's such a great troll, really enjoyed his match with Okada;

ibgdO3HayWX9pX.gif

Ill watch this on Sunday for three days of amazing wrestling. Tonight. Night 2!

World Championship Title Match
Adam Cole (Champion) vs. Winner of Sami Callihan & Drake Younger on Night One

World Tag Team Championship Title Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Champions) vs. DojoBros (Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong - Challengers)

Singles Match
AR Fox vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen

Tag Team Match
Inner City Machine Guns (Rich Swann & Ricochet) vs. Unbreakable F'N Machines (Brian Cage & Michael Elgin)

Singles Match
Kyle O'Reilly vs. Loser of Sami Callihan & Drake Younger on Night One

Singles Match
"Intrepid Traveler" Paul London vs. Trent?

Tag Team Match
RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) vs. Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor

Singles Match
TJ Perkins vs. Samuray Del Sol

Singles Match
Jay Lethal vs. Willie Mack

ICMG versus UFNM is going to be amaaaaaaaaazing

Oh my, Steen is going to murder AR Fox (assuming he doesn't do it himself with some super reckless flippy-do shit). Hoping the Bucks get their asses kicked by DojoBros!

*edit, scratch that, seems Dragon's changed things up;

"Hey friends.There will be a small change to the show tonight. I feel like 9 matches on the second night of a back to back would be overkill."

"I don't want a tired crowd by the main event. I was also really upset I couldn't make that Six-Man on N1 happen."

"So tonight you still get that Face Melting Six-Man Tag when The Unbreakable Fucking Steen Machines take on Inner City Machine Guns/AR Fox!"

Should be a great match, nonetheless.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
don't forget the NCAA wrestling championship is on ESPN tonight at 8

expect ppv quality matches!

See future nXt stars before they ruin their life

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
If Undertaker plans on losing, Undertaker/Punk will end the show.

Remember a few months ago the writers were told to plan Wrestlemania with Punk ending the show.

Then you point out what Punks said this week on tv....Undertaker can lose by DQ and count out....

How do you raise Punk's heel status? Do a similar ending that happened at the Breaking Point ppv a few years ago....Punk wins by a screw job and in the record books, Punk beat Undertaker by submission.

If Punk wins by DQ or count out to end the streak, people will hate him forever

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I miss the faux-RATM Jack Swagger music, but his current one is still decent.
You are crazy. Jack Swagger's current music and Zeb are the only good things about Jack Swagger. IE, they could put just about any big guy in that role.

Could you imagine an in his prime Mike Awesome with Zeb doing that gimmick? Fucking powerbombing immigrants and liberals for America

strobogo

Banned
The streak ending by count out or DQ would be awful. I don't think it would give Punk any heat. It'd all go on WWE and people would probably be super pissed and tune out.

Champ is front and center

Thats a nice cover makes it seem like these mania feuds have been great and building up for months.

Remember a few months ago the writers were told to plan Wrestlemania with Punk ending the show.

Then you point out what Punks said this week on tv....Undertaker can lose by DQ and count out....

How do you raise Punk's heel status? Do a similar ending that happened at the Breaking Point ppv a few years ago....Punk wins by a screw job and in the record books, Punk beat Undertaker by submission.

A $70 PPV ending in a DQ finish. Do it Vince

The streak ending with a DQ would not only be incredibly anticlimactic, but would also cause white hot rage heat. Not typical "boo, you're a heel" heat but "BOO THAT SUCKED AND I LEGITIMATELY HATE WHAT JUST HAPPENED AND WON'T FORGET ABOUT IT FOR A LONG TIME" heat. That's not good heat.

Top Bottom