• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Very much enjoyed Kenny Omega vs HARASHIMA - great title match, both guys were working full force here (although, by the end HARASHIMA may have wished Omega held back just a little bit). They go a bit overboard with the crazy head-drop moves and near-falls towards the end, which is often a side effect of Omega matches, but one you don't get much chance to think about as they speed through 15 minutes without a break in pace.

Unique hurricanrana counter from HARASHIMA;

ipN5PT0833nYZ.gif

Omega's perfect plancha, so good;

ibwahrv2Rq5A3O.gif

Kenny fucked up HARASHIMA big time with this running knee, blood pouring out of his mouth post-match;

iBtRyRow6sIfn.gif

CROYT'S WRATH!

iE13iZoWmLtKj.gif

ONE WINGED ANGEL!!

iH5Bj9vP0UTPk.gif

Jamie OD

I'll be travelling to England this weekend to see Omega and Hayato Fujita wrestle at 4FW. Zack Sabre Jr. will be facing both of them for the two shows. Can't wait!

Ryberg is going to Shell Shock Mark, the splitter is about to become the splitee

If Ryback had diffuculty doing that to Heyman, then I don't like his chances with Henry unless he's assisted by the second turnbuckle.

WCW Saturday Night #7 (1 Hour on F/X)
10,000 @ DC Armoury

Dark Match: Air Raid v The Harris Brothers
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Air Raid defeated Harris Brothers in 7:55 when Air Paris defeated Ron Harris by pinfall with a Diving Leg Drop. (C-)

Dark Match: M.I. Smooth v The Masked Psycho
In an extremely short match, The Masked Psycho defeated M.I. Smooth in 2:42 by stoppage when M.I. Smooth could not continue. (E-)

Dark Match: Shark Boy v Reno Cornell
In an awful match that was completely devoid of heat, Reno Cornell defeated Shark Boy in 4:36 by pinfall with a Roll of the Dice. (F)

Dark Match: Rey Misterio Jr. v Chavo Guererro Jr.
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Rey Misterio Jr. defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr. in 9:46 by pinfall with a Springboard Hurracanrana. (C)

--

Show Start

- The WCW Commentary Team (Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay & Stevie Ray) break the news that Booker T has agreed to face the winner of a #1 Contender's Tournament starting tonight! They put over that Booker T is a fighting champion, and will be joining them later in the program to provide commentary and analysis on his potential opponenant. A graphic displays the brackets: (D)

1. Mike Awesome v Ernest Miller
2. Dustin Rhodes v Road Warrior Animal
3. Lex Luger v Vampiro
4. Scott Steiner v Konnan
5. Bill Goldberg v Lance Storm
6. Rick Steiner v Rey Misterio
7. Kanyon v Hugh Morrus
8. Buff Bagwell v Johnny Swinger

- The familiar drum beat of Bill Goldberg starts to gain momentum as he appears at the top of Entrance way. He has a microphone and is looking towards the announcing table. Goldberg says that just because he's focused on Scott Steiner at the moment, it doesn't mean he has forgotten about the WCW Title. "After Scott Steiner... YOU'RE NEXT!" (B-)

- OUT OF NOWHERE SCOTT STEINER ATTACKS BILL GOLDBERG FROM BEHIND!! Steiner verbally assaults the prone Goldberg. There are a few audio edits as Steiner shouts "You dumb bitch!" at Goldberg. (B)

Match: Jushin Liger v Kaz Hayashi
In a match that had some good action but non-existent crowd heat, Kaz Hayashi defeated Jushin Liger in 8:11 by pinfall after a distraction from The Masked Psycho. (C-)

- Vampiro is in the ring waiting for Lex Luger. He talks about finally being allowed out of the shadows to appear on TV. Lurking and watching, being ignored and over looked, held back due to his lifestyle. He's going to let loose the frustration and fury tonight. (D+)

#1 Contender Match 1: Vampiro v Lex Luger
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Lex Luger defeated Vampiro in 7:57 by pinfall. (D)

- Mike Tenay, Stevie Ray & Booker T discuss the up coming match between Mike Awesome and Ernest Miller. Booker goes over the strengths of Awesome and Miller, but can't decide who'll win. Booker finishes by saying that Awesome lacks a little direction and focus, but this tournament could be just what he needs. (D)

#1 Contender Match 2: Mike Awesome v Ernest Miller
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Mike Awesome defeated Ernest Miller in 8:26 by pinfall with an Awesome Bomb. (D+)

- Kevin Nash (Don Callis' 'Wrestling Consultant') appears at the top of the Entrance Ramp, he's clapping. "Yo Mike!" He congratulates Mike Awesome on the win today. Nash has a business offer for Awesome. (C-)

- Dustin Rhodes makes his way to the ring for his match. "Finally it's time to leave behind a life of bizzare, a life of regret, a life of pretending to be somebody. Finally it's time to wrestle." Dustin Rhodes goes on to say that tonight will mark a new beginning for Dustin Rhodes. No more make up. No more glamour. Just hard work and a tough attitude. (C-)

#1 Contender Match 3: Dustin Rhodes v Road Warrior Animal
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Dustin Rhodes defeated Road Warrior Animal in 8:14 by pinfall with a Flying Lariat. (D-)

Show End (D+)
TV Rating: 0.21 (down from 0.25 last week)

The Masked Psycho dark match against M.I. Smooth bought the mood of the crowd down.
Reno debuted a new gimmick during his dark match, changing from 'Full Blooded Italian' to a Street Fighter. The crowd didn't seem to care. The dark match against Sharkboy also managed to bring the crowd's mood down. They didn't enjoy watching two jobbers fight.
The overall show was slower paced, and show cased a heavy wrestling product. Over the last few weeks WCW has shifted from a Mainstream Product, with little wrestling, to a more wrestling focused product.
This show has seen a decrease in popularity over the last few months, as some fans don't like the change. However, it's hoped in the long run (if WCW can manage to stay in business) it will help seperate WCW from WWF.
However, WCW are still finding it difficult to get any hot storylines going. The feud between Goldberg and Steiner is the only hot storyline at the moment, followed by the US Title feud between Kidman and Rey Misterio (which has not seen TV time for a number of weeks now).

- Who will win the #1 Contender's Tournament?
- Will Bill Goldberg follow through with his promise to win the Tournament or will be distracted by his personal hatred of Scott Steiner?
- Who is The Masked Psycho and why did he distract Jushin Liger?
- What does Kevin Nash want with Mike Awesome?

I'll be travelling to England this weekend to see Omega and Hayato Fujita wrestle at 4FW. Zack Sabre Jr. will be facing both of them for the two shows. Can't wait!

Oh, wow - Zack is awesome and both those matches sound absolutely incredible! Especially Zack vs Fujita, goddamn. What promotion is that for? *edit, derp, 4FW.

I really, really wish Zack would get booked again by some US promotions - EVOLVE, ROH, PWG, anyone, please?

Jamie OD

Oh, wow - Zack is awesome and both those matches sound absolutely incredible! Especially Zack vs Fujita, goddamn. What promotion is that for?

I really, really wish Zack would get booked again by some US promotions - EVOLVE, ROH, PWG, anyone, please?

4FW in Bristol and Swindon. One of those promotions that always brings in big name talent so it wouldn't surprise me if they no longer exist in a year's time but whatever. I'm going to see that with a friend who just came back from Germany for the 16 Carat weekend (which he loved) and we'll also be part of a gang heading to Mania afterwards. Very busy month of live wrestling for us to look forward to.

I had a look on an a forum I used to go on a fair bit, which was the 'mainstay' for British Wrestling, just to see how things were over here. It seems like British Wrestling scene is dead outside of London.

JamieOD said:
4FW in Bristol and Swindon. One of those promotions that always brings in big name talent so it wouldn't surprise me if they no longer exist in a year's time but whatever. I'm going to see that with a friend who just came back from Germany for the 16 Carat weekend (which he loved) and we'll also be part of a gang heading to Mania afterwards. Very busy month of live wrestling for us to look forward to.

Very jealous, Mania weekend looks absolutely huge this year and I heard 16 Carat was awesome - Alan4L was raving about the final on twitter.

I get to see Ricochet vs El Ligero at the end of the month, though - first wrestling show I've been to in about 12 years!

Jamie OD

Alan is the friend I'm talking about. He's nuts about wrestling and already has a list of recent Japan shows for the two of us to watch while we're travelling over.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2001.tumblr.com

WCW Thunder 2/14/2001

It's fitting this show was on Valentine's Day, because I'm pretty sure I'm about to get fucked.

TO THE BACK
. Commissioner Storm books Cat vs Awesome. Steiner shows up and wants to break some legs tonight.

vlcsnap-2013-03-05-00h24m30s119_zps930e6a16.png

Air Paris/AJ Styles vs Knoble and Karagias

The winners will advance to the match at Superbrawl. Already in the match are Yang, Kaz, Shannon Moore, and Kidman. AJ's television debut! He's doing more there than he is now. AJ's career bums me out. He should have been in WWE years ago. Air Paris has a HORRIBLE look and gear. It's so indy it hurts. AJ backdrops Paris onto Knoble and Karagias.

q5ol.gif

It's really hard to believe that TNA has dropped the ball with AJ so many times. It all started when he needed Vince Russo to help him win his first NWA Championship. AJ catches Jamie in a stiff powerbomb.

q5ou.gif

Paris does a Burning Hammer. Lol. In a random opener on Thunder. Knoble and Karagias could have won with a Doomsday Device, but they fought over the pin. But both of them go on to Superbrawl no matter who makes the pin. Evan hit a 450, but Paris pulled him out and hit a DDT on the floor. AJ does a springboard SSP to the floor, but wipes out his partner. Knoble and Karagias win with a powerbomb/dropkick combo.

q5pl.gif

TO THE BACK. Sanders meets with Commissioner Storm. Lance wants Sanders to get rid of Kwee Wee for good. Gene is with the Thrillers. They're going to throw out The Leftovers.

Run down of Superbrawl Revenge. Rey Jr vs Chavo Jr WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Cat vs Storm WCW Commissionership, NBT vs The Leftovers WCW Tag Team Championships, Totally Buffed vs Kronik, Jeff Jarrett vs DDP, Kevin Nash vs Scott Steiner WCW Championship. Well, Dustin vs Rick was added to the card on Nitro, but it wasn't part of the package. On top of that, Rey vs Chavo, Cat vs Storm, TB vs Kronik, Jeff vs DDP, Dustin vs Rick, and Nash vs Steiner had all been on TV in the past 2 weeks.

Mark Jindrak vs Sean O'Haire

Sean is back to his regular trunks, which is a good call. These are some hosses, y'all. I think people forget how big Mark Jindrak was since he didn't really do anything in the US besides that short Lex Luger gimmick in 2004 or something. He's a monster. This is a basic brawl. I'm not sure putting all these guys against each other is the best idea when they're all so green. They all have a lot familiarity with each other, but still. It's just asking for trouble. Sean does a Seanton Bomb off the steps, which is pretty stupid. Stasiak comes out to watch. He defiantly seems like the kind of guy that likes to watch. Sean wins with the Widowmaker and Seanton Bomb. Holy shit, I completely forgot that Jindrak made it to some WWE games.

Kwee Wee vs Mike Sanders

Kwee Wee is full on Angry Allen from the start tonight. I don't want to see this shit. Sanders wins with a handful of tights.

TO THE BACK. Chavo and Wall talk about Rey. Wall vs Rey again? Wrath shows up and Lance won't allow him in the building. Crush doesn't like this and Totally Buffed attack him. Lance won't let security intervene. Konnan attacks Buff. Gene is with Awesome. He's going to end Cat's career.

Mike Awesome vs The Cat

I don't think Awesome ever explained why he joined Team Canada. Duggan turned because he was about to get released and he wanted to stay in the business. Awesome just randomly joined and that was that. Lance has booked Buff vs Konnan for later. The fuck? They must really have been hurting to keep putting Cat in the ring. I guess that's the only way he was going to get better, but still. I think he should have just been the counter part to Ric Flair in that whole thing instead of in the ring every Nitro and Thunder. Cat injures his leg accidentally kicking the ring post. Awesome wins with a frog splash.

TO THE BACK.
Lance nodded in approval. Gene is with DDP and Dustin Rhodes. "You will never forget the name of...Dustin Rhodes." Eh. DDP brings up he and Dustin working together in FCW. DDP/Dustin vs Jeff/Rick Steiner in the main event.

Chavo Guerrero Jr/Wall vs Rey Mysterio Jr/Hugh Morris

Tag team matches with guys in singles matches at a PPV always seemed so lazy to me, but it's so easy. This is a lot of Rey getting dicked around as the FIP. I'm actually surprised that Hugh didn't play that role in this match considering how he's been booked for the past 6 months. Hugh allegedly had 6 concussions in 2000 alone. That seems..dangerous. Hugh and Rey do the Andre/Snuka spot, but it doesn't look as impressive when it looks like an uncle letting his baby nephew stand on his shoulders.

q5pv.gif

Hugh also had two knee injuries in 2000, but kept doing his moonsault even after becoming good friends with Muta, a guy who destroyed his knees doing moonsaults. He tried it on Chavo, but Wall moved Chavo out of the way. Wall catches Rey off a springboard and chokeslams him for the win.

TO THE BACK. Gene is with Totally Buffed.

A recap of Nash and Steiner airs. We don't even know if Nash will be able to wrestle at Superbrawl after the leg attack on Nitro.

Buff Bagwell vs Konnan

Nope. Buff won.

TO THE BACK. Steiner busts up catering when Lance tells him "it's time". Vader time? Please tell me it's Vader time. It was not Vader time.

Jeff Jarrett/Rick Steiner vs DDP/Dustin Rhodes

Rick had a lot of trouble getting his jacket off. Starts out as a brawl on the floor. I'm pretty sure Daffney bought a ticket after being fired and is screaming in the crowd. Fuck. Clothesline: The Match. Jeff pins DDP with the Stroke. Scott Steiner comes out as soon as the match ends to break some legs. Hugh and Crush make the save. Oh hey, a giant pull apart brawl to end the show? You don't say.

q5qf.gif

Some random mook gets hit in the leg and it looks like Sid's leg afterwards. It actually looks worse than Sid's leg, but I'm sure it was a dude missing a leg wearing a prosthetic.

vlcsnap-2013-03-05-02h16m19s118_zpsb42e711f.png

Aiii

So not worth it
SO WHO IS THIS PERSON THAT KEEPS LEAVING SHITTY CAMERA'S ON BACKSTAGE FLOORS FOR SHIELD TO FIND?

WHO IS THE MOLE?

CM Punk is my 2nd fav guy and Undertaker is my forever fav old WWE guy.... but I just don't care. :(

Punk is above last second we got nuffin else for you to do so hey go lose to the Undertaker.

It should have been a triple threat.

Wait, f**k off Dwayne it should have just been Punk vs Cena. They could have gone with Cena not being able to beat Punk all leading to WM where yes if he must do 'finally win the big one' etc.

That is the top feud in this 'age' of WWE I feel, those 2 guys. We've seen they can put on an epic match too. Get the blow hard wait lets do a headlock so I can rest guy out and let the proper guys go at it.

Thats what makes me hate WM, its not about current guys creating their own big moments anymore its just about reliving the old shit REMEMBER WHEN YOU LIKED THIS???????? type thing because that = $$$$$$$$$$.

SO WHO IS THIS PERSON THAT KEEPS LEAVING SHITTY CAMERA'S ON BACKSTAGE FLOORS FOR SHIELD TO FIND?

WHO IS THE MOLE?

*shaky*
Ambrose: HA-HA yeeea, you're finished now Sheamus we got your number..... you know, we should get a tripod.

Reigns: Come on guys we gotta get this done so I can get all the post editing finished, Regal wants his laptop back.

Rollins: BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!

Aiii

So not worth it
So WHAT IF, what if, Taker is really ready to hang it up? And he did hand pick Punk to be his opponent. And he really does feel he wants to put over someone on his final match out and he wants that person to be Punk?

What if Taker is like, 20-0 is awesome, I don't need to go out 21-0, forever they will say I went 20-0 and on my way out I can give the ultimate rub to one single person. You're not gonna give it to a newbie of whom you're not sure is gonna be around in five years or is gonna be as big as he can be, that would be a waste. You have only a few choices to pick from. And here's this guy Punk, who is argueably the best talent in the company right now. Maybe he went "okay, I'm gonna pass the torch to this guy" and from now on, Punk wins every Mania match and begins his own streak for the next 10 to 15 years.

Regardless, wether win or lose, Taker will make Punk look like a juggernaught I'm sure.

I get the feeling they wouldn't let Undertaker lose even if he wanted too.

Thats his legacy and he'll go out with it, Vince and co prolly care as much about giving him his props as they do his own feelings.

Like when they all say JR you're the best ever and JR is like nar Solie is and then they're like no shut up JR.

Jamie OD

So WHAT IF, what if, Taker is really ready to hang it up? And he did hand pick Punk to be his opponent. And he really does feel he wants to put over someone on his final match out and he wants that person to be Punk?

What if Taker is like, 20-0 is awesome, I don't need to go out 21-0, forever they will say I went 20-0 and on my way out I can give the ultimate rub to one single person. You're not gonna give it to a newbie of whom you're not sure is gonna be around in five years or is gonna be as big as he can be, that would be a waste. You have only a few choices to pick from. And here's this guy Punk, who is argueably the best talent in the company right now. Maybe he went "okay, I'm gonna pass the torch to this guy" and from now on, Punk wins every Mania match and begins his own streak for the next 10 to 15 years.

Regardless, wether win or lose, Taker will make Punk look like a juggernaught I'm sure.

By the time this match happens, there will be enough people in attendence who will be in this mindset. Therefore the match is going to succeed in what Taker and Punk will set out to do. People can complain about a lack of build all they want but when the actual match reaches its peak, everyone will be buying into Punk having a chance.

FyreWulff

Doesn't matter if the streak is ended, the streak itself will stand for a very long time. No performer is going to have a long enough or over enough career where they could even think of booking someone on a 20 win streak.

Aiii

So not worth it
I get the feeling they wouldn't let Undertaker lose even if he wanted too.

Thats his legacy and he'll go out with it, Vince and co prolly care as much about giving him his props as they do his own feelings.

Like when they all say JR you're the best ever and JR is like nar Solie is and then they're like no shut up JR.

They can always go "Taker has the record going 20-0"

My thinking is that building a new streak is way more profitable in the long run than extending Takers for another few years. Get another 5 years out of Taker (best case scenario) or another 15 years out of someone else?

After all, they already did the streak DVD last year, they're not gonna make much money out of it aside from WM itself.

Lol Punks not breaking the streak because it wont be the Main Event, Undertaker wont lose in the middle of the show. They will just have Cena break the streak next year

Aiii

So not worth it
They are never gonna put Brock vs Taker on the card.

Brock can only work stiff, Taker is already pretty much broken down, they're not gonna have Brock kill Taker for 30 minutes at WrestleMania. I very much doubt that.

strobogo

Banned
Cena beat Punk clean a few times before Punk vs Cena was a thing. I'm pretty sure he beat Punk completely clean in like 5 minutes once. I don't understand where the whole "Cena has never beaten Punk" thing came from. Cena beat Punk during both the SES and New Nexus periods.

Aiii

So not worth it
Cena beat Punk clean a few times before Punk vs Cena was a thing. I'm pretty sure he beat Punk completely clean in like 5 minutes once. I don't understand where the whole "Cena has never beaten Punk" thing came from. Cena beat Punk during both the SES and New Nexus periods.

That was pre-pipebomb Punk, that's a completely different Punk from post-pipebomb Punk.

However, this is the same company that has retconned Cena beating Brock at the first PPV after WrestleMania into "I was distraught and I lost "it" after losing to you Rock". So yeah.

He's beat Punk a bunch of times, but not when Punk held the belt - that's the hook they'll use for any future Cena vs Punk match. Preferably after Punk retires Taker and then goes after Cena to get his belt back, lol.

Kyoufu

He's beat Punk a bunch of times, but not when Punk held the belt - that's the hook they'll use for any future Cena vs Punk match. Preferably after Punk retires Taker and then goes after Cena to get his belt back, lol.

Punk isn't retiring Taker though!

Striker

Wait, f**k off Dwayne it should have just been Punk vs Cena. They could have gone with Cena not being able to beat Punk all leading to WM where yes if he must do 'finally win the big one' etc.
That result would have been as predictable as what's been slated for Rock/Cena.

The triple threat may have been better, but I still beg for any storyline reasoning. There's been zero for any story hype for really any feuds heading into Mania except for Alberto Del Rio facing Jack Swagger.

Reminds me of few years ago when Cody Rhodes and Rey Mysterio had one of the the best story heading into the show, and ended up having a very good match as well. Main event scene has been quite lackluster for these PPV's recently, save for HBK's involvement.

Forkball

Remember when Wrestlemania matches were... you know, built up? Like before the most recent PPV? It's like WWE does month by month booking, which can be fine in the middle of the year, but Wrestlemania should be the big wrap up. Think of each year as a season, and Wrestlemania as the season finale. It should end story lines or set up ones for the next season. I'm not saying two guys should mouth at each other for seven months before finally having a match at Wrestlemania, but damn it should at least make sense in theory. Punk vs. Taker would have been completely believable if Punk still had the belt and had insulted Undertaker periodically in the past like he did Austin. A REAL streak vs. streak. That's really all you need for that match. But instead we are getting kinda streak vs. streak with no prior build up. Even Cena vs. Batista, which was a few years ago, had some prior build up with minimal effort. Cena and Batista's careers mirrored each other, Batista broke Cena's neck their first big match, Batista was jealous that Cena was more successful even though he did everything Cena did etc. Even though they were thrown together a month before WM, they had enough backstory to make it an interesting match. They got nothing for Punk vs. Taker. NOTHING.

BillRiccio and Mechashiva (Max) confirmed to reunite in one month.

Oh, oh, sometimes, I get a good feeling, yeah

edit.

Would anyone be interested in a Wrassle GAF meet up during Mania? I'm thinking before RAW might work best with all of the wrestling action that is going on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Kyoufu

Caught up with Raw.

Punk doesn't even look like he cares about Wrestlemania.

The dancer with Fandango was stunning.

Striker

Why does Cesaro keep jobbing to Rybackman :(
If they're trying doing Cesaro vs. Miz at Mania, I don't think they're doing a good job keeping Cesaro looking strong. Basically weaseled around vs. Ryback and got beat pretty quick. Meanwhile Miz wins again and beats Ziggler (who jobs everytime he shows up unless he's facing Kofi).

Aiii

So not worth it
Why does Cesaro keep jobbing to Rybackman :(

As they said on the LAW, in WWE world it's vital to not hold any secondary title as it's basically an item that makes you job every match that isn't a title match for as long as you have it. Same goes for a MitB briefcase.

strobogo

Banned
I can understand Ryback beating Claudio once since he's clearly above the US Championship level. I don't understand him beating Claudio like 5 times in a month and a half if he isn't going to be feuding or going for the the title. Challenger beats the champ in a non-title match, gets a title shot is as old as can be, but "challenger beats the champ in a non-title match over and over just because and isn't even interested in the belt" is bad booking.

It's obvious they don't know what to do with Ryback. He's in a weird limbo where he can't get back in the WWE Championship picture, he's too over for the the mid card titles, but he also can't be losing to anyone. He's too big of a deal to be squashing the true jobbers like JTG, so the IC/US level guys are the ones he gets to beat, but it is terrible for those guys. A win over Ryback would do a lot to make Claudio feel more legit with the crowd, I think. Even if it is a cheap win. I'm starting to think they should have just hot shot the title on Ryback back at Hell in a Cell. I think it would have been better for him and wouldn't really change anything that's gone on with Punk since.

Top Bottom