• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hadn't actually thought about that, but Vince's right hand man (Pat Patterson) has been openly gay for like 40 years and it had never really been a problem. JBL may have had a thing for soaping up guy's assholes in the showers and he got a title run.

Patterson would be the exception. He's been around forever, you can't tell that guy 'no you can't.' An it's not always a case of Vince even knowing what's going on with the boys or the writers. Patterson also isn't in the ring and locker room with other guys, and the guy isn't exactly an activist in his sport.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, but EVERYONE respected Patterson. He did the lay out for most major matches for 20 years. He worked directly with everyone and I've never heard of a single issue come up.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Patterson would be the exception. He's been around forever, you can't tell that guy 'no you can't.' An it's not always a case of Vince even knowing what's going on with the boys or the writers. Patterson also isn't in the ring and locker room with other guys, and the guy isn't exactly an activist in his sport.

Yeah, but EVERYONE respected Patterson. He did the lay out for most major matches for 20 years. He worked directly with everyone and I've never heard of a single issue come up.

Patterson almost brought down the WWF because he was accused of jerking off little kids. It was all over the media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPTCRnBEUJM

look at all the names on this show!

DAVE!

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, but besides that. I'm talking about conflicts with guys in the locker room over Patterson being gay. Even when he was a wrestler it wasn't an issue.

I got a gift last month. Wrestlemania XX DVD. I just watched it today and I find it quite interesting compared to today's WWE scene

-It opens up with New York marking out for John Cena. Hard
-It has real divas fighting (Molly Holly vs Victoria)
-It has divas non fighting in bra and panties
-It has Trish Stratus
-There was blood!
-Michael Cole is not annoying
-The winner of that years Royal Rumble did go to the main event at WM
-Main event was for the WHC

Also, Undertaker with Paul Bearer ;_;

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Being gay in wrestling isn't a bad thing as long as you're not flamboyant with it like Orlando Jordan.

Aiii

So not worth it
There have to be a bunch of closet gay wrestlers in WWE and TNA though. Statistically speaking it's impossible that none of the wrestlers are gay.

strobogo

Banned
He was pretty stupid about it, he thought the money would come and it didn't.

What is this thing about JBL?

It's long been rumored that JBL would soap younger guys up in the showers and maybe try to put something like a shampoo bottle in their asses. Specifically, Brian Christopher, Paul London, and Spanky have all alluded to it.

Supposedly it's why Palmer Canon suddenly left

Hmmm...

On April 20, 2006, Mailhot abruptly flew himself home from a WWE tour in Italy and gave his notice to WWE officials, citing harassment from Chris Benoit, John "Bradshaw" Layfield and his "Wrestler's Court" as the reason for his resignation. He was granted his release on April 27, 2006.

Wrestler's Court only happens when someone fucks up in the locker room...

strobogo

Banned
That time period was so wacky with the backstage stuff.

JBL: Butthole Soaper
Benoit and Hardcore Holly: The Road Warriors of Squats
Undertaker: Judge Harry Stone of Wrestler Court
Various suicide watches

Aiii

So not worth it
Okay, so I am watching the documentary Card Subject To Change on Netflix right now and out comes Kamala with Percy Pringle and then it has a interview bit with Percy... I'm actually crying a little bit right now.

Last time I shed tears for a wrestling death was Benoit in '07. I'm getting way to sentimental in my old age I've noticed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been slacking
tumblr_ljfbq92PST1qhi8uno1_500.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so I am watching the documentary Card Subject To Change on Netflix right now and out comes Kamala with Percy Pringle and then it has a interview bit with Percy... I'm actually crying a little bit right now.

Last time I shed tears for a wrestling death was Benoit in '07. I'm getting way to sentimental in my old age I've noticed.

How was that whole documentary? Worth watching?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else playing the Trackmania 2 stadium beta? It's so good.

I got bored with the older ones. Is it a big jump in quality? I honestly get my racing fix on consoles.

I just dropped an almond and I can't find it. Fuck.

yE5EfIV.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wrestler's Court???

It's this stupid thing where you're tried in front of a group of your peers, and I'm sure someone here has a greeeeat story about it. There was one about Evan Bourne eating vajingas.

Laserfrog

Go get the "demo" on steam which is just the beta. Find a server with crazy tracks and you'll have fun. And then talk about it on your podcast Sunny side up with Sunny, I'm pretty sure that's the name of the podcast.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It's this stupid thing where you're tried in front of a group of your peers, and I'm sure someone here has a greeeeat story about it. There was one about Evan Bourne eating vajingas.

Yeah I just googled it and am reading some stories... the fuck.

Aiii

So not worth it
How was that whole documentary? Worth watching?

Mweh, it was interesting just to see some of the inner workings, but it didn't go very in-depth at all. Think Beyond The Mat for indie wrestling, just alot less deep. It's okay to pass the time, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still bummed about Tanahashi victorious and not vacating the title. I think Archer is going to go over Okada in the first round, too - if they want to start building a series with Archer and Nakamura, but if they want to SAVE it, then Okada might just go the distance. :3

EDIT

OR they could do an Archer/Davey Boy faceoff if they're ok with Nakamura getting out in the first round. So many possibilities - which is what a tournament SHOULD be.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Monday Nitro 2/26/2001

This is how Nitro started. I think. I guess the first part was cut off. Kronik were apparently laid out and taken away.

TO THE BACK. The Magnificent 7 were looking for DDP. Steiner attacked a stage hand who didn't know where DDP was. DDP was out in the crowd. SWERVE!

Steiner comes to the ring. Finding DDP is like finding a needle in a haystack because all he sees is WHITE TRASH! One of the guys Steiner took out will be returning tonight.

Dustin Rhodes vs Jeff Jarrett tonight with Ric Flair as the ref! The Cruiserweight tag tournament starts tonight. Some new guys are involved. Air Raid, Johnny Swinger/Jason Lee, Scotty O, and a mystery partner for Prime Time.

Johnny Swinger/Jason Lee vs Filthy Animals

I don't know who Jason Lee is. I never saw him before or after this. Rey came out wearing half of his mask and it was covered in spikes. It was weird, but there were no clear shots of it. This is Swinger's return to WCW. I never liked Swinger. He also clearly was too big to be a cruiser. Anyone else remember Swinger's push on Heat as Johnny Parisi? Because people definitely remembered the name of a 70s NY jobber. Kidman hits a SSP to the floor, probably to show up AJ Styles or something. Kidman pins Jason Lee with the Kid Krusher. The Animals advance to the next round.

qnit.gif

TO THE BACK. Cat heads to the ring. He looks serious. I guess he's got a huge announcement that will rock WCW to the core tonight. It's probably something like "Bischoff's deal fell through and we don't know what the fuck we're going to do now".

Cat comes to the ring. He's not even dancing, because this is srs bidness. He hates Kanyon. How can you hate Kanyon? Kanyon's awesome. He says he's going to do everything it takes to get to Kanyon. He's the commissioner. Can't he just book himself in a match with Kanyon? Oh, he's stepping down due to his heat with Kanyon. "When I get my hands on you I'm gonna eat yo ass like a bowl of collard greens, baby!" Weird choice of wording. Ric Flair comes out. This seems like a terrible time for Cat to step down. Why didn't he step down when he was feuding with Sanders or Lance? Cat will now be known as Citizen Cat. Flair will allow Kanyon vs Cat for Greed. I don't get why Cat would step down. What makes him think that Flair wouldn't just book him against all his guys over and over? Or never book him against Kanyon? Cat willingly gave up his power when Flair was trying to consolidate everything to run wild, and now he can. Flair and Cat get into it. Beating up the CEO probably isn't the best idea, but Kevin Nash wasn't punished for beating up Ric or David. Cat vs Rick Steiner tonight.

TO THE BACK. Konnan has some words to say. I don't know why these guys ask for the camera men, like Konnan just did, but then don't look at the camera when they cut their promo. Konnan is going to get a group together and take it to the Magnificent 7.

Palumbo/O'Haire vs Team Canada

I guess Team Canada were the ones to take out Kronik earlier in the show and the champs called them out for it. After a break, it's on. I still don't know why Awesome joined Team Canada. Still hasn't been explained at all. Especially after the heated feud he and Lance had over the Summer. I don't have a problem with it and it is much better for Awesome than that 70s Fat Chick Thriller Guy, I just would like to know the rational for it. The match goes on for a few minutes with Lex's music hits. Everyone stops and looks to the ramp. On the other side of the ring, Kanyon pops out of nowhere and hits a Flatliner on the floor to O'Haire. No Kanyon Cutter? BULLSHIT. Lance makes Chuck tap out to the Maple Leaf! I hope they get a title shot for this. This is a pairing that could have a really good PPV match. Konnan attacks Team Canada as they walk to the back.

MOMENTS AGO. O'Haire wanted Kanyon.

TO THE BACK. Flair tells Kanyon to end O'Haire for good tonight.

EARLIER TODAY. DDP talked about how none of the guys Steiner put out are gone for good and he's going play a lot of mind games with Scotty.

Rick Steiner vs The Cat

Bleh. Cat is too popular for Rick to be stupidly stiff with him, but Cat isn't good enough to get a decent match out of Rick. Rick just straight up bullies guys not on his level, but it seems like he works pretty normal with guys his level or above unless they also want to work super stiff. Cat accidentally hits the ref with a Feliner. This of course brings out Totally Buffed. Hugh ambushes them and then hits Rick with his knee brace. Cat hits a super kick and wins. Scott Steiner immediately pounces after the match. Cat and Hugh are left laying. If Cat hadn't stepped down, he could have made it so any of these guys would get fired or suspended if they did this. DDP runs down for the save, but it also taken out. It's BOOKER T! BOOKER T IS BACK! Booker wants a 6 man tag. Ric comes out and agrees.

DDP/Booker T/Cat vs Scott Steiner/Totally Buffed

Flair joins for color. And here I thought Booker joined us for color. ... Scotty avoids Booker at every chance. DDP and Booker keep trying to get in the ring and it fucks Cat over. You'd think that Booker, the 10 time tag champ, almost all of them as a heel, would understand how tag matches work against faces and not fall for those traps. The crowd was SUPER hot when Booker came out and this started, but then it settled into Cat getting dominated again, which they just saw for the past 15 minutes, and the excitement wore off. Cat makes the hot tag to DDP. Booker gets tagged in and is on defense right away. This is weirdly booked. Booker should have been the one to get the hot tag and he shouldn't have come in and immediately been put down by Buff. Scott is now in with Book. "Into a brick wall he comes!" Kind of a weird fetish, but whatever. Missile dropkick! Steiner kicked out. Flapjack. SPINAROONI! Lex sends Book out, Cat sends Lex out, and Buff/Steiner attack Cat. Scott puts Cat in the Recliner, Booker gives him a hot shot on the ropes, and DDP hits the Kanyon Cutter! BANG!

qnj8.gif

He turns around and eats a Blockbuster. Buff turns around and eats a Book End. Ax kick on Steiner. Booker pins the champ! The faces leave through the crowd. No one needed a half hour of the Cat wrestling.

TO THE BACK. Steiner is throwing shit around in the back, including a giant ladder that hit the camera man. The faces celebrate.

qnjn.gif

A video package of the Rhodes and Flair airs. It's set to a JHV of INXS's I Need You Tonight, a JHV of Something I Can Never Have, and random 80s rock.

TO THE BACK. Dustin asks if anyone knows who Jeff Jarrett's dad is. Tonight, it will be Dustin and he's going to TAP TAP TAP that ass. More odd phrasing.

TO THE NITRO PARTI GRAS.
Who really wants to see wrestlers throwing beads if there are no boobs? Also, Vertical Horizon will be playing at the Spring Breakout show. Gross.

Shannon Moore vs Shane Helms

Shannon is back with Evan, so 2 Count lives. Shane has a new song. It's him rapping. This is his JT phase I guess. It's so WCW. Kind of like a modern version of the Slam Jam songs in the early 90s that were just bios of wrestlers in song version. Like Sting and the Steiners' classic themes. And Don't Step to Ron. Whisper in the Wind from Shannon. Sugar Smack from Shane. Evan gets involved and gets crushed on a Shannon dive on accident.

qnk3.gif

Vertebreaker for the win. Chavo attacks Shane after the match.

Kid Romeo video airs. His music is going to be a JHV of Livin' La Vida Loca. Bank on it.

TO THE NITRO PARTI GRAS. Again. These are just product placement ads for AOL and 1-800 Collect.

Kanyon vs Sean O'Haire

Earlier in the show, Hugh Morris was SHOOT injured and taken away in an ambulance. They did not elaborate as to what the injury was. O'Haire attacked from behind. SWERVE! Kanyon hits a second rope Russian leg sweep.

qnke.gif

He does some more cool moves, but O'Haire no sells that shit to hit a layout reverse DDT. Twisting fisherman's suplex only gets two. Kanyon missed a Superfly Splash. O'Haire did not miss a spinning kick to the face. O'Haire had a nifty kung fu styled clothesline. Sit out Alabama Slam from Kanyon. He gets caught in the Widowmaker. Seanton Bomb for the win.

Jeff Jarrett vs Dustin Rhodes Special Ref: Ric Flair

Jeff wants to put a clubberin on ol' Dustin, fruit of my loins if you weeeel. Flair is calling it right down the middle, not allowing either man to use closed fists. This heads out to the ramp and stage area early on. Gets back into the ring and Dustin his a superplex. Ric makes a very slow count and pushes Dustin. Dustin knocks him on his ass. Flair then low bridges Dustin, sending him to the floor. Dustin's arm clearly dropped for 3 in a sleeper, but Flair didn't call for the bell and he got out. I remember a handful of Steamboat matches where his arm would unquestionably drop for the third time, but the ref would allow it to continue, and the heel announcer would lose his shit over it. Piledriver on Jeff. Ric Flair is an awkward ref. He also takes an awkward ref bump where he just stands there waiting to eat a bulldog.

qnkp.gif

Dustin hits it on Jeff and tries to count with Flair's hand, but Flair stops at 2. Shattered Dreams to Ric! Ric hits a low blow on Dustin and Jeff hits the Stroke. Jeff wins without a guitar!

Man, this "new WCW" feels just like the old WCW, with a big heel group (this time mixed with full on McMahon evil owner) of guys mostly past their primes and holding young guys down. I think Buff was the only guy under 40 in the group. Scott Steiner was like 38 or 39 I think. Things are looking bleak for WCW. At the end of February, they had zero buildings booked in April. Zero. Bischoff wanted to do a shut down for a few weeks, but Time Warner said no, but they still didn't book any venues past March. All the women were released, and no one knew what was up. Brad Siegel said the deal was final and then went on vacation, but he also told everyone that WCW was absolutely not for sale back in December before announcing it was for sale. Bischoff also went on vacation and wasn't answering any calls.

isJmOQX3CSjsU.gif

Fun CHIKARA show so far. I like how Sugar made the hot tag and the whole crowd cheers, until they realise they're now cheering for Icarus, lol. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Still bummed about Tanahashi victorious and not vacating the title. I think Archer is going to go over Okada in the first round, too - if they want to start building a series with Archer and Nakamura, but if they want to SAVE it, then Okada might just go the distance. :3

EDIT

OR they could do an Archer/Davey Boy faceoff if they're ok with Nakamura getting out in the first round. So many possibilities - which is what a tournament SHOULD be.

Apparently Nakamura said he wants a tag title shot, as he's beat Archer - I'm expecting Davey to beat him in the NJ Cup, then he'll get a IC title shot. Nakamura retains the title, then gets a tag title shot (with Okada?) against KES. I can't see Okada going out early in this one, I'm expecting either Okada vs Nagata or Okada vs Suzuki in the quarter-finals.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Nakamura said he wants a tag title shot, as he's beat Archer - I'm expecting Davey to beat him in the NJ Cup, then he'll get a IC title shot. Nakamura retains the title, then gets a tag title shot (with Okada?) against KES. I can't see Okada going out early in this one, I'm expecting either Okada vs Nagata or Okada vs Suzuki in the quarter-finals.

Okada vs Nagata singles would be insane. I want that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Looks like Stephanie finally realised she's not right for this particular job.

WWE is hiring a new VP of Creative Writing. The description reads:

“The VP Creative Writing will be responsible for the creative content strategy and direction for all weekly TV programming. He/She will manage the Head Writer, Show Runners, and the writing team, provide long-term direction in the development of story lines and WWE superstar characters, and be the primary liaison with other partner departments especially including Talent, TV and Digital.”

Responsibilities include:

* Develop and implement creative storylines for broadcast on all WWE programs and platforms in coordination with the writing team and senior creative management (CEO, EVP,SVP)

* Work with Talent Department to develop powerful character back-stories

* Manage the Head Writer, the home-based writers, and the road writing team by providing feedback, training and supervision.

* Use consumer insights and social media to deliver impactful storylines that are consistent with the WWE brand and each talent’s skills and history.

* Identify new writing talent and ensure that current writers’ work is aligned with the network’s brand and programming strategy.

* Supervise Head Writer in creating a comprehensive training program for new writers and remedial training for existing writers.

* Work with senior management to continually improve the process supporting WWE’s creative writing system.

* Provide mature leadership to the writing team, relating to the implementation of the vision of senior management (CEO, EVP, SVP

* Drive professional interaction with other departments of the WWE (Talent Development, TV Production, Marketing, Digital, Sales and HR)

Okada vs Nagata singles would be insane. I want that.

Yeah, same here - I don't think we've had a Okada vs Nagata singles match yet, would be awesome. I could see Suzuki beating Nagata though, then losing to Okada to further the Suzuki-gun/CHAOS feud and give Okada his win back over Suzuki.

What's great about this tournament is that I can see a bunch of guys winning it - Okada (if they're willing to do another Okada/Tanahashi match so soon), Nakamura, Kojima, Nagata, Suzuki, Goto, Makabe...all would be good challengers for Tanahashi's belt.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Stephanie finally realised she's not right for this particular job.

That's exciting. Now, who do they get?

Yeah, same here - I don't think we've had a Okada vs Nagata singles match yet, would be awesome. I could see Suzuki beating Nagata though, then losing to Okada to further the Suzuki-gun/CHAOS feud and give Okada his win back over Suzuki.

What's great about this tournament is that I can see a bunch of guys winning it - Okada (if they're willing to do another Okada/Tanahashi match so soon), Nakamura, Kojima, Nagata, Suzuki, Goto, Makabe...all would be good challengers for Tanahashi's belt.

That's really the best thing about CORRECTLY booked tournaments. Everyone is a potential winner, nobody's really a wash (except, oh, I'd say Makabe definitely isn't going all the way but that's in no way guaranteed) - and those make for easy and exciting ways to develop new feuds. The Royal Rumble used to be a good launching point for feuds too!

Russo should be the reset button of wrestling - he should never be hired as a long-term booker, but people should bring him in and say "here, go crazy for a month". I'd like to see RAW a month after Russo took control.

That's really the best thing about CORRECTLY booked tournaments. Everyone is a potential winner, nobody's really a wash (except, oh, I'd say Makabe definitely isn't going all the way but that's in no way guaranteed) - and those make for easy and exciting ways to develop new feuds. The Royal Rumble used to be a good launching point for feuds too!

Yeah, what exactly did they launch from the Rumble this year? Nothing, other than Cena's going to WrestleMania! In some ways, this is the most exciting time of year for WWE, but in other ways it's kinda dull. There's nothing long term being resolved here (unless we get a Kane vs D-Brine match), it's all a mad, last minute dash to get people excited for WrestleMania. That's why I wish Punk had kept the belt - a year-long storyline resolved in the main event of the biggest show of the year? Better than that shit they pulled on Monday with Cena suddenly remembering how much he SAID losing to The Rock would affect him. Would it kill them for a bit of character development? Not holding the belt for the year, but being the same in every other respect is NOT character development.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Mweh, it was interesting just to see some of the inner workings, but it didn't go very in-depth at all. Think Beyond The Mat for indie wrestling, just alot less deep. It's okay to pass the time, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

I saw this on Netflix, debated watching it - but I'll pass thanks for the review.

I've gone through pretty much every WWE doc that I'm interested in, a lot of great stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I saw this on Netflix, debated watching it - but I'll pass thanks for the review.

I've gone through pretty much every WWE doc that I'm interested in, a lot of great stuff.

I even watched a couple I wasn't interested in and I enjoyed em. Looking at you, official WrassleGAF Mascot Big Show.

HASFIed.jpg

Top Bottom