• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Pau-Gasol-Mad-GIF.gif

Fox318

WCW knew how to book Paul white so much better.

My god watching him in 96 he looks so much better than anything in the WWE aside from his 2002 Brock feud.

RIC FLAIR BLADED FOR HIS 30 for 30

If you noticed a fresh gash of the left side of Ric Flair’s forehead on Raw on 3/21 as he was coming down the aisle, apparently when he was filming a segment for an upcoming ESPN 30 for 30 show on his life, one of the things he did on the subject of all his bloody matches was he gigged himself to show how it was done. Most of the 30 for 30 pieces have been fascinating and I was told that all facets of Flair’s life will be gone into

Must watch

Observer stuff

Brand split maybe?

I don’t know what this means. It may mean split crews. It may mean absolutely nothing. But the marketing department has produced new graphics for Raw and Smackdown for the USA Network. The Raw graphic features Cena, Owens, Nikki Bella, Wyatt, Del Rio and Charlotte as the top stars. The Smackdown graphic features Reigns, Ambrose, Ziggler, Paige and New Day.

Jericho vs. Nakamura?

Jericho has been on Twitter building for a match with Nakamura at Sumo Hall in July

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brand split is the obvious outcome of the Shane Taker match stipulation. Signs have been there for the past year. Moving Smackdown to USA, getting a new announcer, some of their hires for NXT.

I'm barely watch Lucha right now but just watching the 15 minutes the episode should of been at least 2 hours correct? Or am I jumping the gun?

Brand split is the obvious outcome of the Shane Taker match stipulation. Signs have been there for the past year. Moving Smackdown to USA, getting a new announcer, some of their hires for NXT.

Also Ryan Ward (the writer for NXT) was recently moved from NXT to Smackdown, so read into that what you will.

RBH

But is there enough depth for a brand split right now?

You could certainly call up people from NXT, but to what extent without adversely affecting NXT?

Mahonay

Banned
So Meltz reported that there is some kind of story behind D Bry being taken off Daniel Bryan Appreciation Night at MSG. The source Dave knows that definitely knows why has told him that he'd rather not say, in a way that it implied that it might be something bad.

I really hope it ends up being something completely minor.

Striker

Good luck filling those 3 hours with a split roster. And 'star power' between them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But is there enough depth for a brand split right now?

You could certainly call up people from NXT, but to what extent without adversely affecting NXT?

NXT is the one that they don't make money on, so...I'd expect it to turn back into a developmental first territory instead of being the super indie. On the plus side, Smackdown might turn into that same super indie.

So Meltz reported that there is some kind of story behind D Bry being taken off Daniel Bryan Appreciation Night at MSG. The source Dave knows that definitely knows why has told him that he'd rather not say, in a way that it implied that it might be something bad.

He noted in the Observer that the relationship between Bryan and the company hasn't changed in any way, so it's not anything like that in terms of one side being unhappy with the other.

Good luck filling those 3 hours with a split roster. And 'star power' between them.

I can remember one of the best Raws of the past few years was a New Year's Raw that they only had half the roster for. It was great because it forced them to tell stories with all the guys they had and promote interesting stuff all show as opposed to just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what stuck.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
can we trade reigns for owens

make smackdown the workrate show with mauro and king killing it on commentary

That's what happened before. I mean even when Smackdown was undeniably better than RAW it was still the brand where people went to get over and become a big deal so they could move on to RAW.

Mailbag

Alvarez "Are there any plans to introduce Sami Zayn's character to the Raw audience via a video package or a promo, or is this it? And he's now a new random character who half the viewers have no reason to care about?"

Dave "This. Is. It. And it... has been disappointing."

Yep

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mailbag

Alvarez "Are there any plans to introduce Sami Zayn's character to the Raw audience via a video package or a promo, or is this it? And he's now a new random character who half the viewers have no reason to care about?"

Yep

You know what the worst part about this is? They were doing video packages and promos up to and including the first round of NXT call ups; the Wyatts were the only one that worked. Funkasaurus, Emma, Adam Rose, they didn't go anywhere so obviously we don't need any of these anymore now that they're starting to call up some real bonafides.

Same thing some were thinking yesterday if he called it all so sudden

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mailbag

Yep

I remember people on this forum talking about how he was their next big babyface and they wouldn't fuck him up

and now he's in a match with dolph ziggler and the miz

I remember people on this forum talking about how he was their next big babyface and they wouldn't fuck him up

I wonder what they'll do with Finn

I'll be optimistic and say 4 month feud with Bray to start

We all know they'll fuck up Bayley, but it's time to be serious about just how they'll fuck up Finn. And they will.

That's not inherently a bad thing. It's more about the way that he just hasn't gotten any mic time to flesh out his character. If being in matches with Ziggler was in and of itself a killer, then Owens wouldn't be over, which he is.

I wonder what they'll do with Finn

I'll be optimistic and say 4 month feud with Bray to start

We all know they'll fuck up Bayley, but it's time to be serious about just how they'll fuck up Finn. And they will.

I'm actually more optimistic with any female performer at this point than a male performer, because they seem to at least be being booked logically. The whole Sasha/Becky/Charlotte stuff has been the most coherent and logical storytelling since about the end of December.

Anth0ny

This monday's raw had about 26 wrestlers either work a match or stay involved at ringside. Last week's smackdown, for comparison, had 14 wrestlers.

So if they did a split, I can see it looking like this:

*Part timers are undrafted, can show up wherever is convenient for them to be booked (Taker, Brock, HHH)

Raw:

Roman Reigns (WWE Title)
Randy Orton
Jericho
Finn Balor
Bray Wyatt
Luke Harper
Erick Harper
Strongman
Kalisto (US Title)
Kofi
Big E
Xavier (Tag Titles)
Uso 1
Uso 2
Big Show
Sheamus
Del Rio
Rusev
Kane
Miz
Ryback
Charlotte
Becky
Paige
Star Dust
Sin Cara
Social Outcasts

Smackdown:

John Cena
Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins
AJ Styles
Kevin Owens (IC Title)
Sami Zayn
Samoa Joe
Shinsuke Nakamura
Dolph Ziggler
D Von Dudley
Bubba Ray Dudley
Neville
Cesaro
Sasha Banks (Womens Title)
Bayley

And then the less important people would be split evenly and appropriately between each show. I don't really know what you'd do with the titles. Raw get three titles because it has three hours to fill. Bryan mentioned going to Smackdown and treating the IC title like the most important title for that show, I think that would be a cool idea.

There is NOT a depth problem in the WWE. The roster is arguably more stacked and talented than ever before. It's all in the booking and writing of the show. The 50/50 booking. The god awful scripted promos. No one goes over besides Roman Reigns.

The potential reason that Jericho has been going at it with Nakamura on Twitter is to build up for a match between the two at Sumo Hall in July.
According to Meltzer

Holy shit that's awesome. I was hoping Hideo would be fine by then.

They caught Daniel Bryan on tape eating glutens?

This monday's raw had about 26 wrestlers either work a match or stay involved at ringside. Last week's smackdown, for comparison, had 14 wrestlers.

So if they did a split, I can see it looking like this:

*Part timers are undrafted, can show up wherever is convenient for them to be booked (Taker, Brock, HHH)

Raw:

Roman Reigns (WWE Title)
Randy Orton
Jericho
Finn Balor
Bray Wyatt
Luke Harper
Erick Harper
Strongman
Kalisto (US Title)
Kofi
Big E
Xavier (Tag Titles)
Uso 1
Uso 2
Big Show
Sheamus
Del Rio
Rusev
Kane
Miz
Ryback
Charlotte
Becky
Paige
Star Dust
Sin Cara
Social Outcasts

Smackdown:

John Cena
Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins
AJ Styles
Kevin Owens (IC Title)
Sami Zayn
Samoa Joe
Shinsuke Nakamura
Dolph Ziggler
D Von Dudley
Bubba Ray Dudley
Neville
Cesaro
Sasha Banks (Womens Title)
Bayley

And then the less important people would be split evenly and appropriately between each show. I don't really know what you'd do with the titles. Raw get three titles because it has three hours to fill. Bryan mentioned going to Smackdown and treating the IC title like the most important title for that show, I think that would be a cool idea.

There is NOT a depth problem in the WWE. The roster is arguably more stacked and talented than ever before. It's all in the booking and writing of the show. The 50/50 booking. The god awful scripted promos. No one goes over besides Roman Reigns.

Not a bad split, the only different I would make if have Tag Teams and Divas exuded from the split and let them cross shows just because either division isn't strong enough for 2 shows. Maybe let their be a GM for Divas (lol Steph) and a GM for Tag Teams (I dunno Edge or something) and let them oversee wrestlers in those divisions or something.

Otherwise I can see Tag Teams getting a really raw deal out of a brand split.

I hated Shamrock for that. He was being too soft
Pretty much Shamrock should kill everyone he goes against. I'm sure most were legit terrified that he'd snap and kill them. But that's what makes it so fun, you'd never know until it's happening.

There's also a great story about Harley Race who was either in Mexico or Puerto Rico, I can't remember now, but he was in a strap match. Marty Janetty was also on the card and came back to the dressing room to hear the sound of someone being whipped. Janetty said he approached sheepishly and saw Harley whipping himself with a belt. Apparently, he did this as his opponent hadn't hit him hard enough to leave a mark and he wouldn't be able to go home to his family without injuries of some kind as they'd know wrestling was a work

Damn this is too funny.

Anth0ny

Not a bad split, the only different I would make if have Tag Teams and Divas exuded from the split and let them cross shows just because either division isn't strong enough for 2 shows. Maybe let their be a GM for Divas (lol Steph) and a GM for Tag Teams (I dunno Edge or something) and let them oversee wrestlers in those divisions or something.

Otherwise I can see Tag Teams getting a really raw deal out of a brand split.

yeah that could definitely work. both of those divisions are weak but it could lead to some wacky tag teams being formed as a result!

as for the women, obviously eva marie would get called up to Raw and become the star female of that show. they'd be more than fine.

Top Bottom