• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

He probably did in the late eighties. Lots of DQs, no contests, fuck finishes.

Fucking lol at this

Most people in the eighties had maybe 19 matches total a year. No 2 house shows every week, no 2 PPVs a month, and no 12 PPVs. The schedules then vs now are ridiculously incomparable

I'm beginning to think Taker/Shane is just going to be a spot fest and people will love it despite it covering up poor wrestling. People seem to love Taker/HHH from WM17 despite that god awful choke slam to foam padding.

That's exactly what Taker/Mankind Hell in a Cell was. Taker had a broken foot and couldn't do much, so they just did spots everywhere.

I feel bad for Dave. The dude can't possibly get more than 4 hours of sleep on a normal day, and then you have years like this that get off to such a busy start that that's absolutely shortened

It's almost April and there have been at least 3 major stories or injuries a month both in wrestling and MMA

DMczaf

I feel bad for Dave. The dude can't possibly get more than 4 hours of sleep on a normal day, and then you have years like this that get off to such a busy start that that's absolutely shortened

It's almost April and there have been at least 3 major stories or injuries a month both in wrestling and MMA

Apparently business is really up for those guys. I swear I heard on a podcast that their subscriber numbers were at a record high recently

Guzim

Apparently business is really up for those guys. I swear I heard on a podcast that their subscriber numbers were at a record high recently
Which is strange because I remember Alvarez saying how when the product is bad, their subscriptions are lower.

RBH

CdJ8bhpW0AAXx0s.jpg

Which is strange because I remember Alvarez saying how when the product is bad, their subscriptions are lower.

It depends. If they do well informed and/or funny rants, subs definitely go up from the word of mouth and Youtube audio someone inevitably uploads of it. Never thought I'd see a time when they eclipsed the Golden Age of Bryan and Vinny TNA rants, but turns out 3 shit years in a row of Mania build does the trick.

Which reminds me, the last time we actually had a year where people looked forward to both the Rumble and Mania, and both were good, was officially four years ago :[

Fucking lol at this

Most people in the eighties had maybe 19 matches total a year. No 2 house shows every week, no 2 PPVs a month, and no 12 PPVs. The schedules then vs now are ridiculously incomparable

I'm sincerely hoping you're joking, otherwise this is the most retarded post ever.
The schedules during the eighties are notorious; people could go months without a day off.

Working twice a day was a frequent thing, and on some occasions people would work on the east coast, hop a plane and then work on the west coast the same day.

Vestal

I'm sincerely hoping you're joking, otherwise this is the most retarded post ever.
The schedules during the eighties are notorious; people could go months without a day off.

Working twice a day was a frequent thing, and on some occasions people would work on the east coast, hop a plane and then work on the west coast the same day.

Absolutely...

However the work style of the 80s and early mid 90s was a lot safer, and less high risk.

Flair never went 1-18 in a single month. Seth is a mess. Seth is a big fat mess.

I'll never claim that Rollins was booked well, but people throw 1-18 around consistently and it was never as bad as that. He was going ok until Summerslam.

Not that a feud with Cena helps, he's not likely to lose at a house show.

Colocho

Banned
Don't count house shows when talking about someone's win-loss record. The babyfaces win 90% of the time and they have the same matches with the same outcome with the same people like 4-6 times in a row which would hurt the loser's record quite a lot, plus they're not even "canon".

As far as TV matches go, Seth rarely won or lost cleanly, which is what a chickenshit heel does. He was booked just fine IMO.

Never heard of Joe Lanza. Is he a reliable source?

Voices of Wrestling has been pretty reliable and good about a lot of news (I highly recommend their podcasts, very informative stuff), but they mostly focus on New Japan or LU. That he's not touching it means it's either pretty bad, about WWE, or both.

Still on a 96-97 WWF nostalgia kick and it's reconfirmed that this is the best period in the company IMO.

I'm mid 1997 right now, and the evolution of Stone Cold, Bret, and HBK weaved between the world title and any other wrestler that happens to be in their path (The Undertaker prior to this, now the Legion of Doom because HBK and Austin are being forced to team up) is really good stuff. Like holy crap what a difference in the way the show is plotted out compared to now. And the energy in the promos, backstage segments, matches, etc. is so different. It's not even about being crass and violent, hell there's barely been any swearing or blood since Wrestlemania 13, but the booking and intensity of the main guys is really strong. Sure Bret rambles and Shawn's occasionally drunk/high out of his mind, but brehs this stuff is great.

EDIT: I mean besides all the gay slurs because gotdayum

EDIT 2: Also, jesus christ, King spittin that hot fire at Goldust's daughter:

"And what'd you name that brat? Dakota? You should’ve named her Target, because I heard everybody in Atlanta had a shot at it! Hahaha!"

Dakota's like 4 years old.

Striker

^ 96-97 for WWF, ECW and WCW is amazing for all fans of wrestling.

Absolutely...

However the work style of the 80s and early mid 90s was a lot safer, and less high risk.
Do less suicide dives for one. There are so many guys who do those week in and week out. Gettheirshitin.jpg

Still on a 96-97 WWF nostalgia kick and it's reconfirmed that this is the best period in the company IMO.

I'm mid 1997 right now, and the evolution of Stone Cold, Bret, and HBK weaved between the world title and any other wrestler that happens to be in their path (The Undertaker prior to this, now the Legion of Doom because HBK and Austin are being forced to team up) is really good stuff. Like holy crap what a difference in the way the show is plotted out compared to now. And the energy in the promos, backstage segments, matches, etc. is so different. It's not even about being crass and violent, hell there's barely been any swearing or blood since Wrestlemania 13, but the booking and intensity of the main guys is really strong. Sure Bret rambles and Shawn's occasionally drunk/high out of his mind, but brehs this stuff is great.

EDIT: I mean besides all the gay slurs because gotdayum

EDIT 2: Also, jesus christ, King spittin that hot fire at Goldust's daughter:

"And what'd you name that brat? Dakota? You should’ve named her Target, because I heard everybody in Atlanta had a shot at it! Hahaha!"

Dakota's like 4 years old.
Told you all, 96 is the greatest. King was killing everyone on commentary, no one was safe.

Told you all, 96 is the greatest. King was killing everyone on commentary, no one was safe.

I think Lawler would have been my favorite commentator if he had just stopped in like...'05 or '06. The last decade has been rough, and the Heel Cole Era was honestly the only time I've had the TV on and muted for a whole 2 hours regularly

It's amazing. Everyone's a heel, everyone hates each other, everyone's pissed off, everyone's moving at top speed, and Austin is cutting top notch promos and throwing out great one liners like every other week.

I think Lawler would have been my favorite commentator if he had just stopped in like...'05 or '06. The last decade has been rough, and the Heel Cole Era was honestly the only time I've had the TV on and muted for a whole 2 hours regularly
You didn't like heel Cole? Man he was something else lol

It's amazing. Everyone's a heel, everyone hates each other, everyone's pissed off, everyone's moving at top speed, and Austin is cutting top notch promos and throwing out great one liners like every other week.
If only guys got back to promos like that and just saying whatever they thought. That's the problem, stop sucking up to Vince and be your own man.

Al Snow actually won, he could win the title tonight lol

Lmfao Mike Chioda said ring the damn bell

Someone from WON tweeted, they're building a shelter when that news breaks. I'm scared.

Top Bottom