• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

I'm going to Indiana to meet my partners family, look at apartments and compare schools, and
see about throwing myself into the wild world of wrestling. Probably will be looking at wrestling programs in Illinois though.

Wrestling programs like you want to go to a pro wrestling school? If so I can recommend a few in Illinois that I've heard good things about.

chunk3rvd

ROH's TV production isn't great, but thanks to TNA's getting so much worse, they're actually better-looking than TNA now - still far below Lucha Underground though. Live, ROH is a fucking blast. I went to their final Manassas show with a friend who wasn't even a wrestling fan and he had so much fun there. I wish I'd gone in '09 though when they had Flair - oh well.

I travelled to the UK for that show in the land of man-asses. Well, not just for that show - I came over with about 15 other Europeans and we met about 30 more U.S. friends over there to do the Manassas/NYC double shot and have a little holiday either side

Don't be gutted about missing Flair that night. The guy who arranged the trip paid $50 each for us all to meet Flair that night and the miserable sack of skin could barely break into a smile as he signed each autograph. He also cut a terrible/weird promo about how ROH had loads of sexy young guys in the back. The next night he was meant to ref the main event in the Hammerstein but instead he just cut a promo in the first half and ran out of the back door at intermission. I was a massive fan of Flair, especially after being at his retirement match at Mania 24, but I've been sour on him ever since

The rest of that show in Manassas was crazy fun though - the night of SNAPMARE! The crowd just chanted for snapmares the whole night and the wrestlers were happy to oblige. Was also great t to see Danielson in his last few months as he wound down on the indies (so much so that I couldn't resist and also came back over to Chicago 3 months later to see 2 of his very last indie matches in AAW and DG:USA)

Guzim

Does anyone know what the deal is with Summerslam tickets going on sale?

According to Ticketmaster, there's a presale tonight at 10:30 PM EST, but I haven't seen anything regarding a password or even ticket prices.

4vQlQWu.png

There's a house show at Barclays tonight. Would tickets go on sale at the Barclays box office after the house show?

Please elaborate.

I stupidly let myself get sucked into that women artists redesign female characters' costumes thread. One poster posits that Morrigan from Dragon Age, who was raised in a swamp, couldn't have access to materials to make the redesigned dress. I responded that it was a failure of imagination if you can't see how someone could get some cloth in a quasi-medieval fantasy setting where there are dragons, demons, golems, and were-beings. A different poster responds that the new design doesn't make any sense because it's not a dress that could survive in a swamp. Who said anything about the character wearing that redesigned gown and staying in the swamp forever? Failure of reading comprehension and drawing inferences that no one is making.

TLDR: Motherfuckers in Gaming can't read.

Please elaborate.

I stupidly let myself get sucked into that women artists redesign female characters' costumes thread. One poster posits that Morrigan from Dragon Age, who was raised in a swamp, couldn't have access to materials to make the redesigned dress. I responded that it was a failure of imagination if you can't see how someone could get some cloth in a quasi-medieval fantasy setting where there are dragons, demons, golems, and were-beings. A different poster responds that the new design doesn't make any sense because it's not a dress that could survive in a swamp. Who said anything about the character wearing that redesigned gown and staying in the swamp forever? Failure of reading comprehension and drawing inferences that no one is asserting.

Alucard

Banned
I stupidly let myself get sucked into that women artists redesign female characters' costumes thread. One poster posits that Morrigan from Dragon Age, who was raised in a swamp, couldn't have access to materials to make the redesigned dress. I responded that it was a failure of imagination if you can't see how someone could get some cloth in a quasi-medieval fantasy setting where there are dragons, demons, golems, and were-beings. A different poster responds that the new design doesn't make any sense because it's not a dress that could survive in a swamp. Who said anything about the character wearing that redesigned gown and staying in the swamp forever? Failure of reading comprehension and drawing inferences that no one is making.

You've stepped into the danger zone of arguing over shit that doesn't matter at all.

Carnby

There's a house show at Barclays tonight. Would tickets go on sale at the Barclays box office after the house show?

Most likely, yes. At the last WWE event I went to, they announced a special presale for the audience after the show.

I'm sure the passcode will be available online as soon as it is announced.

somedevil

Does anyone know what the deal is with Summerslam tickets going on sale?

According to Ticketmaster, there's a presale tonight at 10:30 PM EST, but I haven't seen anything regarding a password or even ticket prices.

Yeah it seems tickets go on sale the 14th and for the presale it seems to be for those who go to the house show tonight. They will get the code.

WWE will announce the SummerSlam pre-sale code at Sunday's live event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

MC Safety

So wrestling's embrace of the carny code has enabled some truly disgusting behavior.

At its best, the carny code has guys like Ric Flair giving back to the sport by "putting over" up-and-coming wrestlers like Shawn Michaels. I always thought that part of the code was idiotic, but at least it's not hurting anyone save for perhaps the guys who are truly in need of promotion.

The code has enabled sadists like Stu Hart, Bob Holly, and Bill DeMott. There's no reason why children who want to learn pro wrestling need to be beaten up, abused, and tortured in a basement dungeon, but the code says new wrestlers have to pay their dues. And not only do these people have to take abuse from guys who just like hurting people, they also have to keep quiet about it. Because you suffer, but you also take it like a man.

Carnby

Yeah it seems tickets go on sale the 14th and for the presale it seems to be for those who go to the house show tonight. They will get the code.

The presale ends March 13th. There will be plenty of opportunity for us to purchase tickets.

Also, the house show at Barclays is tonight. Who ever you are quoting is wrong.

You've stepped into the danger zone of arguing over shit that doesn't matter at all.

Yeah, I accepted some people just don't know how to read and punched out.

Now, back to arguing about really serious stuff like Michael Bennett's booking in New Japan and Daniel Bryan.

bjork

So wrestling's embrace of the carny code has enabled some truly disgusting behavior.

At its best, the carny code has guys like Ric Flair giving back to the sport by "putting over" up-and-coming wrestlers like Shawn Michaels. I always thought that part of the code was idiotic, but at least it's not hurting anyone save for perhaps the guys who are truly in need of promotion.

The code has enabled sadists like Stu Hart, Bob Holly, and Bill DeMott. There's no reason why children who want to learn pro wrestling need to be beaten up, abused, and tortured in a basement dungeon, but the code says new wrestlers have to pay their dues. And not only do these people have to take abuse from guys who just like hurting people, they also have to keep quiet about it. Because you suffer, but you also take it like a man.

Not that it excuses anything, but Stu was in the era where they protected the business, he wasn't on MTV teaching baristas how to take backdrops or whatever.

I'm going to Indiana to meet my partners family, look at apartments and compare schools, and
see about throwing myself into the wild world of wrestling. Probably will be looking at wrestling programs in Illinois though.

I was going to suggest something but then I realized it looks like you're going to be in North West Indiana and I don't know shit about that part of Indiana though to be honest I don't know shit about most of Indiana since I only lived there for six months.

Carnby

Not that it excuses anything, but Stu was in the era where they protected the business, he wasn't on MTV teaching baristas how to take backdrops or whatever.

Exactly. "So you want to learn of to pretend to fight? I'll teach you after I legitimately kick you ass, for six months."

MC Safety

He's certainly from a different time.

But I don't understand the philosophy or the code enabling it. There's no reason why the first stop in becoming a pro wrestler is some creepy sadist's basement where the teacher's sole intent is to make children scream in pain. It's aberrant behavior supported by a code that shouldn't exist for a real sport, let alone a choreographed exhibition.

And then you follow the code past Hart, and Bob Holly is beating the crap out of a kid because, I have no earthly idea why. Bill DeMott, who's supposed to be mentoring these young wrestlers, can't explain why the beating occurred but congratulates the kid for accepting it. The code makes it business as usual, and DeMott is empowered to hurt his students or treat them like garbage.

RP912

Banned
I predict the next wrestling promotion will step out in 2015 and leave the carny bullshit in the late 80s....and that company will be a huge threat to the industry because it's not doing the same shit for them dollars.

Maybe Jarrett will see the light if we ever know if GFW going to be a wrestling promotion or a stepping stool for NJPW to make an impact towards the US.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I predict the next wrestling promotion will step out in 2015 and leave the carny bullshit in the late 80s....and that company will be a huge threat to the industry because it's not doing the same shit for them dollars.

Maybe Jarrett will see the light if we ever know if GFW going to be a wrestling promotion or a stepping stool for NJPW to make an impact towards the US.
Inferring njpw isn't a Japanese version of pure carnyness

Carnby

He's certainly from a different time.

But I don't understand the philosophy or the code enabling it. There's no reason why the first stop in becoming a pro wrestler is some creepy sadist's basement where the teacher's sole intent is to make children scream in pain. It's aberrant behavior supported by a code that shouldn't exist for a real sport, let alone a choreographed exhibition.

And then you follow the code past Hart, and Bob Holly is beating the crap out of a kid because, I have no earthly idea why. Bill DeMott, who's supposed to be mentoring these young wrestlers, can't explain why the beating occurred but congratulates the kid for accepting it. The code makes it business as usual, and DeMott is empowered to hurt his students or treat them like garbage.

Every profession makes the newbies pay their dues. I see nothing wrong with putting someone on the torture rack before teaching them the trade. But putting your asshole in someone's face isn't acceptable.

Carny bullshit is at pro wrestling's heart, to try to remove it would be like moving a body without a skeleton.

On a related notes, I remember in Mick Foley's first book where he talked about hearing story's about pro wrestling trainers mutilating their students. One particular example was reading about a trainer knocking out a student's eyeball and stepping on it.

Carnby

Carny bullshit is at pro wrestling's heart, to try to remove it would be like moving a body without a skeleton.

On a related notes, I remember in Mick Foley's first book where he talked about hearing story's about pro wrestling trainers mutilating their students. One particular example was reading about a trainer knocking out a student's eyeball and stepping on it.

I don't believe that. What page was it on?

I would legitimately murder the trainer if that happened to me. Im talking about having them suck on a barrel for ten minutes before covering them in gasoline and starting the fire.

bjork

Every profession makes the newbies pay their dues. I see nothing wrong with putting someone on the torture rack before teaching them the trade. But putting your asshole in someone's face isn't acceptable.

But there's a guy going into the HOF who had that for a gimmick.

Paying dues is one thing, but even if you look at something low-level like freshman football. Those coaches will make kids run in dead-ass summer heat and every so often you hear about dudes dropping dead because they were denied water or whatever. For what? So some bored never-was can flex his power, I guess. That's what this whole thing sounds like to me, too. Hugh Morrus is best known for being the first streak victim for Goldberg, and that's it. Not the new talent's fault. They were kids back then.

Carnby

But there's a guy going into the HOF who had that for a gimmick.

Paying dues is one thing, but even if you look at something low-level like freshman football. Those coaches will make kids run in dead-ass summer heat and every so often you hear about dudes dropping dead because they were denied water or whatever. For what? So some bored never-was can flex his power, I guess. That's what this whole thing sounds like to me, too. Hugh Morrus is best known for being the first streak victim for Goldberg, and that's it. Not the new talent's fault. They were kids back then.

I'm definitely not saying it's okay to mutilate or endanger a life. But shoot matches and stiff shots during training is fine. I'm not completely disagreeing with you.

I don't believe that. What page was it on?

I would legitimately murder the trainer if that happened to me. Im talking about having them suck on a barrel for ten minutes before covering them in gasoline and starting the fire.

I don't remember the page number, but it's right after his college wrestling story, where he's looking for a trainer and decides to go with Dominic DeNucci

Heroman

Banned
No body should be *paying your dues" in a multi million dollar company like wwe , it is fucking dumb and make everyone look fucking dumb

bjork

I'm definitely not saying it's okay to mutilate or endanger a life. But shoot matches and stiff shots during training is fine. I'm not completely disagreeing with you.

Oh, definitely. I think a dude like Stu slapping holds on a guy maybe hurt, but also teaches a guy how far an arm will stretch or how it feels if you go too far. Upside there being that it might make a dude work safer as a result. Aside from the Austin/Owen mishap, you didn't really hear about a Dungeon trainee hurting someone in the ring. So it comes with the territory, I'm sure.

Alucard

Banned
This paying dues by physical damage thing is bullshit. There are other ways to do it...make them carry bags, get last choice at meals, whatever. Physical humiliation is a bullshit way to do things.

Carnby

This paying dues by physical damage thing is bullshit. There are other ways to do it...make them carry bags, get last choice at meals, whatever. Physical humiliation is a bullshit way to do things.

Because they're trying to make a wrestler, not a butler.

Alucard

Banned
Because they're trying to make a wrestler, not a butler.

Then make them train longer after the vets have left. Have them start earlier. Set up the ring. Etc. There are other ways than breaking limbs and being humiliated.

Curtis Axel
came out to Real American at the house show. So expect some trolling of the fans on Monday.

They're going all in. I love it. Can't wait to see this.

Alucard

Banned
From prowrestling.net:

The following matches are advertised for tonight's Ring of Honor television taping in Baltimore, Maryland at William J. Myers Pavilion.

-Samoa Joe vs. Kyle O'Reilly
-A.J. Styles vs. Mark Briscoe
-Michael Bennett and Matt Taven vs. The Young Bucks
-ACH and Matt Sydal vs. Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian
-Moose vs. Caprice Coleman
-Jay Lethal vs. Top Prospect Winner

Powell's POV: ROH is also advertising the return of Raymond Rowe and Hanson as the War Machine tag team. Plus, Jay Briscoe will address the fallout from the pay-per-view. Tommaso Ciampa was originally scheduled to face Styles, but he is out of the show due to an injury suffered on Sunday. We are looking for correspondents for the event. If you are going and want to help, email me at dotnetjason@gmail.com.

Top Bottom