• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Paracelsus

Cena reaction is fantastic

Remember this?

vlcsnap-2012-01-25-22ssujh.png

That gif in comparison looks more natural, as if he's legit pissed, so basically the only way to turn Cena a heel is to bury him for real.

Alucard

Banned
If I'm supposed to care about Axel doing rip off Hogan promos, Curtis Axel is going to have to stop looking like such a bland goober

That's part of the appeal and the comedy. He obviously lacks the size and popularity of Hogan. I like how this has evolved over the past 2 weeks. He's doing the best work of his WWE main roster career right now.

Fox Mulder

This paying dues by physical damage thing is bullshit. There are other ways to do it...make them carry bags, get last choice at meals, whatever. Physical humiliation is a bullshit way to do things.

it happens in other sports, like junior high school football.

Alucard

Banned
it happens in other sports, like junior high school football.

I'm well aware of that, and it's never sat well with me. Same with initiation at high schools. It's a power game for machbros who need to pick on people smaller than themselves, or people they deem as "nerds" or whatever. It's dumb and serves zero purpose outside of making the guys causing the humiliation to feel superior. "Hurr Hurr, I'm in a higher position than you because I'm older." fuck off.

notworksafe

That's part of the appeal and the comedy. He obviously lacks the size and popularity of Hogan. I like how this has evolved over the past 2 weeks. He's doing the best work of his WWE main roster career right now.

It's sad but true. It proves that he can do good work, he just has to have something to work with.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
It's sad but true. It proves that he can do good work, he just has to have something to work with.
Did You Know:

99% of professional wrestlers are entirely capable of doing great and entertaining segments and matches, provided they're given the time to actually do so.

Alucard

Banned
I don't think Carnby is saying the more extreme incidents are cool, guys.

I don't think so either, but he seems to agree that hazing or breaking in the new guy is okay to an extent. I'm saying that using humiliation as a way of making sure the guy knows his place is unnecessary in 2015, especially in a publicly traded company.

Alucard

Banned
Did You Know:

99% of professional wrestlers are entirely capable of doing great and entertaining segments and matches, provided they're given the time to actually do so.

99 percent is way too high, friend. Some people just don't have it regardless of how much time they're given. They need to be given a direction as well, or have the creativity to get that direction themselves. Then they have to be able to make it believable and run with it for a while.

notworksafe

Speaking of meh work...I watched part of WM25 last night. Jesus what a mess.

Jericho vs old ass men and then Mickey Rourke
JBL vs Rey match that lasted like 20 seconds
Santino in drag winning a diva battle royale

pls no more D:

MITB, Hardys, and Taker/HBK were pretty good though. Gonna go for a jog, grab some lunch, and finish this up and move on to (hopefully) something better with 26.

Speaking of meh work...I watched part of WM25 last night. Jesus what a mess.

Jericho vs old ass men and then Mickey Rourke
JBL vs Rey match that lasted like 20 seconds
Santino in drag winning a diva battle royale

pls no more D:

MITB, Hardys, and Taker/HBK were pretty good though. Gonna go for a jog, grab some lunch, and finish this up and move on to (hopefully) something better with 26.

Disagree. Ricky steamboat wrestled his ass of in that Match

One of NOAH's few trainees quit to do MMA, leaving them with just Kumano & Kitamiya. NOAH have had a far more difficult time training guys than even New Japan in the past few years - at least New Japan have a few more in their ranks with 2 on excursion (Watanabe & Takahashi), 2 waiting to go on excursion (Tanaka & Komatsu), 2 gaijin trainees (Jay White & Cody Hall) and a few amateur wrestlers.

somedevil

One of NOAH's few trainees quit to do MMA, leaving them with just Kumano & Kitamiya. NOAH have had a far more difficult time training guys than even New Japan in the past few years - at least New Japan have a few more in their ranks with 2 on excursion (Watanabe & Takahashi), 2 waiting to go on excursion (Tanaka & Komatsu), 2 gaijin trainees (Jay White & Cody Hall) and a few amateur wrestlers.

Is it me or is it harder to find younger talent in Japan to get into wrestling? If true why is that when in America and abroad there is tons of new talent available?

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Uhh I'm going to disagree with that
OK, maybe I'm exaggerating quite a bit, but when you're the bigger wrestling company in the world, why would you ever hire people who can't get the job done in some capacity.

That being said, this is the WWE, half the stuff they do makes no business sense.

kiguel182

Abusing and humiliating someone should never be accepted anywhere. There's no reason or rime to it.

Make new people work hard and teach them how things work without abuse. It's not that hard of a concept.

Is it me or is it harder to find younger talent in Japan to get into wrestling? If true why is that when in America and abroad there is tons of new talent available?

It's difficult to overstate just how hard of a hit wrestling took in Japan in the early 2000's, the business just isn't seen in the same light as it once was - you've got amateur wrestlers who see themselves achieving better success as amateurs, rather than if they went pro, and guys who could work out as wrestlers deciding to go into MMA instead. Then you've got guys who look at promotions like Dragon Gate and DDT and feel that they have a better chance of making it there than they do in the New Japan/NOAH/AJPW dojos, which follow old-style dojo systems and are notoriously challenging experiences. Promotions, on the whole, aren't as keen on bringing in talent trained elsewhere, but at the same time guys trained at smaller promotions aren't willing to lose stature by joining a bigger promotion's dojo even if they would be accepted. A good example of that was Daichi Hashimoto, who had a place waiting for him in New Japan if he'd been willing to go through the dojo as a young lion, but instead chose to sign for Inoki's IGF.

It's different overseas - there's a lot of promotions training guys and, if they've got the right stuff and the desire to succeed, any one of them could get a try-out with WWE. Wrestlers signed to NXT already feel like they've made it half-way there and get to excite crowds on a weekly basis with matches that rival the quality of the main product, whereas in Japan they spend years as ring attendants and losing preliminary matches. It's a tried and tested system that's been in place for as long as pro-wrestling has existed in Japan, but it's not one that encourages a fast turnover of talent.

Top Bottom