• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Crap, I keep forgetting to tell you guys: So I listened to a recent Colt Cabana podcast the other day because his guest was Dennis Stamp from Beyond the Mat. Dude was dumb. Anyway, he says he wrote a book, so I of course immediately looked that up with the ol' Kindle and BAM! there it is -- The Stamp Collection -- free to download with Kindle Unlimited. Well, alright. I download the thing and my god... I am two chapters in and it is so poorly written. I feel awkward and dumb while reading it. It's painful. Seriously. It puts me in such a dark place. I can't recommend it enough.

So Stamp did get booked...for the Colt Cabana podcast.

OR

So, Stamp did get book'd, but he had to write it himself.

dennis_stamp.jpg

Watching the third part of the New Japan Cup. Funky Weapon is greatness.

As false as the notion that the crowd is hot for Roman Reigns.

Alucard

Banned
Lucha Underground sounds awesome tonight. That cage match...

From prowrestling.net:

The following matches will air on tonight's Lucha Underground television show.

-Argenis vs. Pentagon Jr.
-Angelico vs. Ivelisse with Son of Havoc as special referee
-Johnny Mundo vs. King Cuerno in a cage match

Powell's POV: Lucha Underground airs on El Rey Network tonight at 7:00 p.m. CT. The Spanish feed can be found on Saturdays on UniMas at 3:00 p.m. CT. Join me for live coverage as the show airs tonight.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was watching the intergender six man tag from Kana Pro with Dynamite Kansai, HUB, Taka and some people I don't recognize, and it got me thinking about why this works a little bit better than when a lot of american indys have tried to do it lately. And I think I've figured it out for me personally from what I've seen. In this match, it's obvious there's a size difference, and they play it up. They play up it's heelish for TAKA to beat up Yuu, but it's not like 'OMG SO DARK' and most of the heat is actually from TAKA and Kuuga cheating and letting Kansai get hits in as well. Not just 'oh man this guy is beating up that girl that's a dick thing to do.' It's more, 'this guy is beating up this girl and he's not letting her get a chance because he keeps cheating. what a dick.' which is a much better message in wrestling, in my opinion. Because Yuu got offense on TAKA and Taka is accomplished enough that he can be taken as a threat to this smaller competitor(Yuu) but he's not THAT much bigger than her so it's believable that she can fire back on him. She nails him with several chops, but he gets her back by a poke to the eyes. It puts heat on him, and it makes her look like she could stand a chance. She looks like the underdog instead of the Kimber Lee/Rayna Von Tosh(or Scarlett? I can't remember. Those two are interchangeable) where it's like LOOK AT ME THROW THIS GIRL AROUND ISNT IT CRAZY HOW SICK THESE BUMPS SHES TAKING ARE FOR NO REASON BECAUSE SHES NOT GOING TO GET HER HEAT BACK AND THIS IS CLOSER TO THE FETISHIZATION OF YOKOZUNA SQUASHES ON YOUTUBE THAN INTERGENDER WRESTLING?

That groping shit I saw in AAA(I think?) with Pentagon and Jennifer Blake was just fucking gross though.

Japanese promotions have it too though with shit like POLICE in Oz Academy. But Ozaki can't book for shit, so that's why it's that way.

Good stuff, man. Congrats and enjoy being able to attend NXT events on the regular...unless they become a super indie that starts traveling around regularly.

Thanks. I figure they'd probably still do most of the TV from Full Sail because it has all the setups and such, but even if they don't, I'll be fine. As fun as NXT will be, I'm not going for that.

Kaladin

Thanks. I figure they'd probably still do most of the TV from Full Sail because it has all the setups and such, but even if they don't, I'll be fine. As fun as NXT will be, I'm not going for that.

Good thing, because I'd imagine being in the program is the only way you're going to get into NXT at Full Sail. Those tapings sell out lightning fast, and it's usually people already there that buy them.

I guess you could go to the box office on a day you don't have a ticket for and get one for the next one, but good luck with that.

Good thing, because I'd imagine being in the program is the only way you're going to get into NXT at Full Sail. Those tapings sell out lightning fast, and it's usually people already there that buy them.

I guess you could go to the box office on a day you don't have a ticket for and get one for the next one, but good luck with that.

They sell them online IIRC. Also, according to people who have went to a few, only about half the crowd is people who buy tickets every time.

Currently back on my Attitude era rewatch. Farooq is shooting on no black wwe champions.

EDIT: And Savio Vega has a match with current wwf champ, The Undertaker

I've started to put an opening post together for a 'WWE Network Roundtable' thread in OT, loosely based on the Netflix Club idea where we nominate an event/program each from the Network's library, choose one of the nominations at random and all watch it that week. We share our thoughts and opinions on the show, and generally discuss the crap we've watched. Screenshots and gifs welcome.

Not sure if there should be a 'theme' for each week, so for example

Week 1 - WWE
Week 2 - WCW
Week 3 - ECW
Week 4 - Vault
Week 5 - Documentary

Or it's just a general free-for-all on nominations from anything across the entire library. I'd like to see PPVs and Weekly content available for nomination, maybe documentaries too.

Kaladin

They sell them online IIRC. Also, according to people who have went to a few, only about half the crowd is people who buy tickets every time.

They do sell them online, but once they go online, they're usually gone in short order....and forget about the live event specials.

I went to a taping the day after NXT Arrival. I bought a GA ticket, but because I arrived late (place is hard to find if you're not from there, GPS took me to the wrong spot) I wasn't allowed in until they found seating for me....they oversold. I don't know if that is still an issue.

notworksafe

I've started to put an opening post together for a 'WWE Network Roundtable' thread in OT, loosely based on the Netflix Club idea where we nominate an event/program each from the Network's library, choose one of the nominations at random and all watch it that week. We share our thoughts and opinions on the show, and generally discuss the crap we've watched. Screenshots and gifs welcome.

Not sure if there should be a 'theme' for each week, so for example

Week 1 - WWE
Week 2 - WCW
Week 3 - ECW
Week 4 - Vault
Week 5 - Documentary

Or it's just a general free-for-all on nominations from anything across the entire library. I'd like to see PPVs and Weekly content available for nomination, maybe documentaries too.

For Vault stuff, Legends of Wrestling is easily my favorite show there. Good guests, good conversations, and a damn good first hand account of a lot of wrestling history.

Plus it's cool to see all those guys just kicking it, drinking, and smoking cigars while shooting the shit about the "good old days".

Just finished watching the first MitB match, it was alright. Benoit was the highlight, he sold his injury and did some spectacular moves. I started to tear up when he did the headbutt of the ladder and busted up his stitches, knowing what we know now. Shelton was the second best, what happened with him man?

For Vault stuff, Legends of Wrestling is easily my favorite show there. Good guests, good conversations, and a damn good first hand account of a lot of wrestling history.

Plus it's cool to see all those guys just kicking it, drinking, and smoking cigars while shooting the shit about the "good old days".

I haven't seen any of that stuff yet, and I can imagine there would be a ton to discuss about after watching it too.

Kaladin

Funny thing occurred to me lately....

Wrestlemania 24 Money In The Bank Ladder Match

CM Punk vs Shelton Benjamin vs Chris Jericho vs Carlito vs Montel Vontavious Porter vs Mr. Kennedy vs John Morrison

Only one guy is still in the company, and he's a part timer.

They do sell them online, but once they go online, they're usually gone in short order....and forget about the live event specials.

I went to a taping the day after NXT Arrival. I bought a GA ticket, but because I arrived late (place is hard to find if you're not from there, GPS took me to the wrong spot) I wasn't allowed in until they found seating for me....they oversold. I don't know if that is still an issue.

They put tickets for the next taping on sale at the box office as soon as that night's taping is over. That's why it seems impossible to get a ringside seat if you're trying to buy online.

Funny thing occurred to me lately....

Wrestlemania 24 Money In The Bank Ladder Match

CM Punk vs Shelton Benjamin vs Chris Jericho vs Carlito vs Montel Vontavious Porter vs Mr. Kennedy vs John Morrison

Only one guy is still in the company, and he's a part timer.

It's also a nice lineup of those who came close but fell short of breaking through the midcard ceiling of that time period aside from Punk and Jericho of course.

Why do I get the grim feeling that will apply to a lot of this years ladder match contenders?

Looking back at WMX8 right now as another WM i've not looked back at since it first aired, putting aside Rock vs Hogan this really feels like a standard PPV card of rather generic matches, being sandwiched between the likes of X-7 and 19 makes it stick out like an overly sore thumb.
But on the other hand I just watched a Rock berating Coach promo and I loved it so maybe I'll check this out for a bit longer....oh Maven has a match, at Wrestlemania, what is this?!

Kaladin

Looking back at WMX8 right now as another WM i've not looked back at since it first aired, putting aside Rock vs Hogan this really feels like a standard PPV card of rather generic matches, being sandwiched between the likes of X-7 and 19 makes it stick out like an overly sore thumb.
But on the other hand I just watched a Rock berating Coach promo and I loved it so maybe I'll check this out for a bit longer....oh Maven has a match, at Wrestlemania, what is this?!

Ah Wrestlemania 18....the year Jericho got shafted by having to go on after Rock / Hogan.

klonere

Banned
Currently back on my Attitude era rewatch. Farooq is shooting on no black wwe champions.

EDIT: And Savio Vega has a match with current wwf champ, The Undertaker

Where aree you finding these Raws? There's nothing past late 1996 on the network which has put my dive into the transition to the attitude era to a stop. Been going through ECdub PPVs instead.

notworksafe

Where aree you finding these Raws? There's nothing past late 1996 on the network which has put my dive into the transition to the attitude era to a stop. Been going through ECdub PPVs instead.

There are...places. On the internet. They have wrestling videos. I'd use adblock on them for your own sanity though.

Top Bottom