• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

You would think they would've inducted James "Toot" Mondt, who helped Jess and Vince Sr. create the WWF, as well as basically creating many staples of professional wrestling like a boxing ring, freestyle wrestling, and time limits

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You should think about all the major historical figures in wrestling history that aren't in the WWE Hall of Fame in place of celebrities because 'they did more for the WWE' rather than the whole of wrestling, the fact that they barely pay the legends anything and then realize the HoF means nothing and feel a lot better about it.

PNWE8hy.gif

Ultratech

Watching Lucha Underground...

-Looks like we might have a Buried Alive match???
-Konnan turned his cane into a literal weapon. Fun times.

16BitNova

So apparently they are showing the Ohio show of NXT next week. Prerecorded right? Weird cause story wise they are saying Alex Riley will face Kevin Owens next week. So did he already face him in Columbus?

Also that Alex Riley promo was pretty good. Lets rage.

kiguel182

Can't hate on them inducting kids like Conner into it though. That's a classy move.

Connor being there is amazing and really heart-warming but the fact that they distorted Warrior's final wish to make it happen still doesn't sit right with me.

Still, it's a beautiful homage and it's hard to fault them that much.

somedevil

So apparently they are showing the Ohio show of NXT next week. Prerecorded right? Weird cause story wise they are saying Alex Riley will face Kevin Owens next week. So did he already face him in Columbus?

Also that Alex Riley promo was pretty good. Lets rage.

Yep, they taped these matches for Next week:

Alexa Bliss vs Sasha Banks
Tyler Breeze vs Kalisto
Alex Riley vs Owens

Plus Cesaro vs Neville for the best of NXT dvd

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It became obvious very early on in the NWO in the WWE storyline that Vince only did it so he could have his true golden boy Hogan back. They could have done a lot more with Hall/Austin, and they even had an enjoyable Rock/Hall match.

The idea of Hall as WWE champion in 2002 didn't seem that farfetched. If he could have kept clean and they would have used him right, I think it would have been the perfect place for Hall to finally get a main event run. Give him wins over Austin and Rock and have him win the title for a little while.

The slowed down NWO entrance was always super cool.

I've been watching matches with Punk since I missed his entire run in WWE. I really enjoyed his match with Bork at SS. Bork came off as a good monster, but Punk was able to show that he was a smaller, but still tough guy. They had a good back and forth dynamic, although I do think that less of Heyman in this match would have made it better.

Also watched his match against Jericho at Extreme Rules 2012, also a good match with both opponents complementing each others style.

I love a cocky Jericho, and I don't understand the hate he gets on Wrasslegaf, he was always one of my favorites in the early aughts, and every match I've seen of him during the time I stopped following wrestling, I've enjoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN30Tj5u-yM that video led to this.

jred2k

I've been watching matches with Punk since I missed his entire run in WWE. I really enjoyed his match with Bork at SS. Bork came off as a good monster, but Punk was able to show that he was a smaller, but still tough guy. They had a good back and forth dynamic, although I do think that less of Heyman in this match would have made it better.

Also watched his match against Jericho at Extreme Rules 2012, also a good match with both opponents complementing each others style.

I love a cocky Jericho, and I don't understand the hate he gets on Wrasslegaf, he was always one of my favorites in the early aughts, and every match I've seen of him during the time I stopped following wrestling, I've enjoyed.
His comeback runs the past couple years have been completely unremarkable. Jericho losing his feuds has become a forgone conclusion and because of that thry end up doing nothing for his opponent. The matches haven't been any good either. Same problem that RVD has had.

Jericho coming back at the tail end of 2007 was a bright spot in a rather dark year for professional wrestling, and his heel run was fantastic. Also the last meaningful IC AND tag belt holder.

That's about it.

Kaladin

Until he actually opened his mouth that return was phenomenal.

They could have done a feud where some heel mocked him for being a mute, till he finally does say something and it's while kicking the guy's ass.

Or

They could have carried it further and had it end in an I Quit match, with the announcers selling the fact that Jericho is mute and thus can't quit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watching David Von Erich vs Kabuki now. David looks so confident in that ring, he never looks confused or out of place. Guy's so natural. Nothing but potential which makes his death all the greater loss for professional wrestling. I can take or leave Kevin and the others, but Kerry and David are both two guys I could have seen as legends had they not had their problems.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They could have done a feud where some heel mocked him for being a mute, till he finally does say something and it's while kicking the guy's ass.

Or

They could have carried it further and had it end in an I Quit match, with the announcers selling the fact that Jericho is mute and thus can't quit.

I'd really enjoy the second one.

His first words would be, of course, ASK HIM!

Lucha Underground never feels like it's an hour long, the show absolutely flies by rather than crawls. Also, they manage to make me give a shit about Konnan, a wrestler I've entirely despised. I think it's called 'writing', WWE should give it a go sometime.

Great main event, that finish. Hot damn.

Watching David Von Erich vs Kabuki now. David looks so confident in that ring, he never looks confused or out of place. Guy's so natural. Nothing but potential which makes his death all the greater loss for professional wrestling. I can take or leave Kevin and the others, but Kerry and David are both two guys I could have seen as legends had they not had their problems.

Absolutely agree. I watched a lot of WCCW in my childhood and Kerry was over EVERYWHERE and the claw was wrestling fricking death. David didn't have the look of Kerry physically but that guy was smooth as hell in the ring.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really like 1994 HBK and Diesel. HBK was still in the backseat most of the year, preening and acting like a douche nozzle despite being in great matches while hiding behind Big Sexy as much as possible. Really helps to put the big guy over.

Lucha Underground never feels like it's an hour long, the show absolutely flies by rather than crawls. Also, they manage to make me give a shit about Konnan, a wrestler I've entirely despised. I think it's called 'writing', WWE should give it a go sometime.

They're filming next week. Hoping I can get some tickets.

somedevil

Here is the attendance for NXT in Ohio:

* March 5th in Columbus, OH drew 1,000 fans
* March 6th in Cleveland for NXT drew a sellout of 1,110 fans

Very Good and already beating what TNA house shows use to do.

Plus more NXT news:

WWE officials are looking at adding several talents from Ring of Honor. WWE officials are reportedly waiting for the contracts of key talents to expire so they can begin negotiations.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that the idea behind NXT has changed a lot lately as Triple H loves all the praise he gets for NXT on social media. WWE originally was looking to train new talents from the bottom to the main roster but it appears they are recruiting top talents for the NXT brand itself. The idea is to replace some of the top indie stars who can already work good matches with more indie stars.

Regarding call-ups, there's no word on NXT Champion Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn getting brought to the main roster but there has been a lot of talk about NXT Women's Champion Sasha Banks, Adrian Neville and possibly Charlotte getting called up. With how WWE likes to introduce new talents after WrestleMania, it's possible we see new main roster talents in April.

Basically Ring of Honor is kinda of screwed if this goes through. WWE is probably counting the days until Adam Cole's contract is up.

I see Charlotte and Neville but not so much for Banks. WWE need so do give out some contracts to top Women Indie stars to fill the void if they call up those two.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Absolutely agree. I watched a lot of WCCW in my childhood and Kerry was over EVERYWHERE and the claw was wrestling fricking death. David didn't have the look of Kerry physically but that guy was smooth as hell in the ring.

The way I always see it is Kerry looks like he could have been a WWF champion and David looks like he could have been a NWA/WCW champion.

So just going by who has had tryout matches from ROH who do we think is NXT bound?

Briscoes
Adam Cole

also could see

Ciampa get a look as he has the look and skills the E likes.

Kaladin

I'm liking Triple H as the go-to guy for talent recruiting. He seems to have his ear to the ground on who is hot and who would work well within WWE.

I would eat my hat if he ever signs Jay Briscoe though.

The way I always see it is Kerry looks like he could have been a WWF champion and David looks like he could have been a NWA/WCW champion.

That's about as accurate a description as I've ever heard in comparing the two. The NWA was where guys looked like they would gouge your eye out and grapple you to death. WWF was where comic books came to life and you never existed until you got there.

Ithil

Here is the attendance for NXT in Ohio:

Very Good and already beating what TNA house shows use to do.

Plus more NXT news:

Basically Ring of Honor is kinda of screwed if this goes through. WWE is probably counting the days until Adam Cole's contract is up.

I see Charlotte and Neville but not so much for Banks. WWE need so do give out some contracts to top Women Indie stars to fill the void if they call up those two.
As was a bit inevitable given his ego and the amount of praise NXT gets now, HHH is losing sight of the whole "developmental for training for the main roster" view in favour of NXT borderline turning into its own promotion inside WWE. Once you start hiring indie talent specifically to be the top stars of your NXT shows you've forgotten the purpose.

Not that anyone minds, as this mini-promotion is a lot better than regular WWE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NXT and the developmental campus in Florida is still doing the job of raising talent, it's just that most of them have sucked or worse, are women who only get time to wrestle while in NXT anyways and immediately start to lose their talent on the main roster.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yessir. But WWE has a lot more content to make...

I really like LU's base, the story that all characters are a part of as opposed to everything being spinoff feuds.

Top Bottom