• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Ithil

I think they got KENTA because of his experience in Ring of Honor and around the US. I would seriously doubt if Triple H even watches New Japan or NOAH on a regular basis. KENTA also came highly recommended from Daniel Bryan.

That's what his scouts are for. Regal scours all the indies and other promotions for him to bring promising names to his attention. Regal was in attendance at PWG's BOLA at least once.
Gerald Brisco follows the amateur wrestling scene, especially NCAA, he brings in all the Olympic names.

Ithil

It's tempting to just get him a manager, but I feel like that's the wrong way to go. If he is ever going to have any chance of breaking that ceiling Asians have had in WWE, he needs to be able to do his own promos, in English.

Kaladin

That's what his scouts are for. Regal scours all the indies and other promotions for him to bring promising names to his attention. Regal was in attendance at PWG's BOLA at least once.

That's pretty much what I mean, Triple H or his scouts. They're going to go after the guys who make trips to the US for them to scout easily. They're not going to go out of their way to get a big Japanese name that only a handful of US fans know.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Really? I did not know that. I always heard of KENTA before Shibata. That was due to ROH tho.

Only in America because Shibata never toured overseas. They even had Shibata there for KENTA's title win for a cheap pop because KENTA was Shibata's 'little buddy.'

And it's been 10 years since KENTA was 'big in America.' His buzz died quickly after the 2005 tour and matches with Low-Ki because nothing ever came of it in America. KENTA and Marufuji both have just been kind of idling since Misawa's death. You can blame that on the state of NOAH or not, but neither had a breakout year since then despite being two of the biggest prospects in Japan.

Keep in mind there was a large, large amount of rumors around Okada in 2013 signing with the WWE. WWE is not blind to NJPW. The Kliq thing should make that much obvious.

Hoping to go Hoodslam and NXT during WrestleMania weekend. Going to the post-'Mania Raw. They're much more exciting than WrestleMania itself.

Ithil

That's pretty much what I mean, Triple H or his scouts. They're going to go after the guys who make trips to the US for them to scout easily. They're not going to go out of their way to get a big Japanese name that only a handful of US fans know.

And in Japan you aren't guaranteed to have everyone dreaming of WWE, unlike how 99% of North American wrestlers have the pipe dream of WWE. Yeah some guys are WWE fans, like Tanahashi who idolized Shawn Michaels, but a guy like Nakamura grew up as a puro nerd, not a WWF fan, so his bread and butter is Japanese wrestling.

KENTA seemed like he'd dreamed of going to WWE, and one thing WWE really loves, is when a prospective wrestler acts in "awe" of WWE. They hate when someone doesn't really care about whether WWE signs them or not. See how bitter they are at the Young Bucks for turning down a WWE offer.

iMax

Itami is probably turning heel. What if he got a manager?

ZFDyeGx.jpg

Oh, you mean Lana after she turned face while begging for Rusev's life at that bastard John Cena's hands.

Nah, we mean Lana after Cena triumphs over Russia and effortlessly coaxes Lana back over to the winning team with his sheer patriotic American goodness and chiselled oblong noggin.
She now understands The American Dream Maggle!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Reposting because it's a really fantastic match. Especially if you like watching arguably two of the best women wrestlers in the world. (Hamada is the best, period, as far as I'm concerned. In the world.)
Ryuji Ito & Ayako Hamada vs. Jun Kasai & Arisa Nakajima
3kLsPtI.gif

8rEhAB6.gif

NjOfpk7.gif

8seHAOo.gif

Arisa takes so much god damn abuse in this match. It's ridiculous. Thrown into barbwire. Bodyslammed onto barbwire. Receiving some Rock vs Mankind level chair shots from Hamada. At some point, it's a little hard to watch. She was the bloodiest at the end of the match. Keep in mind, she was in a match with fucking Jun Kasai and Ryuji Ito, and SHE was the bloodiest.

Ithil

Nice, hopefully it's a Network special. I could easily see this being the place where we get Owens/Sami 2 and Dubstep Duo vs. SAWFT.

In two weeks? Not at all. It's just a live event, but they'll no doubt tape some matches from it.
I think their next live special is in May.

Kaladin

Guys, when NXT starts touring, I highly recommend going to see it. It's a great live product and so much better than what you expect when you go to a main roster house show.

I think Hideo's struggles have been kind of overblown. The progress is definitely there.

I recently watched his debut match with Justin Gabriel, and man, he looked lost. Soft kicks, hesitation, awkward slip ups, etc.

His first three months (September-December) were really lackluster: hiding in Balor's shadow, getting his ass kicked by the Ascension, etc.

Ever since 2015 started, he's been very solid and on the rise in terms of his in-ring work. He's developed a good moveset (sans an impactful finisher) and stiffened up his strikes quite a bit as well. Look at how he was throwing kicks at Gabriel/The Ascension and compare it to his Takeover: Rival match vs. Tyler. Whenever he gets time to work, he puts on a good match. He's more substance than style, so I think it'll take a while for a lot of people to fully appreciate what he brings to the table.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think Hideo's struggles have been kind of overblown. The progress is definitely there.

I recently watched his debut match with Justin Gabriel, and man, he looked lost. Soft kicks, hesitation, awkward slip ups, etc.

His first three months (September-December) were really lackluster: hiding in Balor's shadow, getting his ass kicked by the Ascension, etc.

Ever since 2015 started, he's been very solid and on the rise in terms of his in-ring work. He's developed a good moveset (sans an impactful finisher) and stiffened up his strikes quite a bit as well. Look at how he was throwing kicks at Gabriel/The Ascension and compare it to his Takeover: Rival match vs. Tyler. Whenever he gets time to work, he puts on a good match. He's more substance than style, so I think it'll take a while for a lot of people to fully appreciate what he brings to the table.

I haven't gone back to his debut time but I get the feeling I'll feel the same. He's gon' be a megastar.

I remember the last time everyone thought Brock would lose at Wrestlemania

Also, Itami needs more work but is clearly making his way. Balor was clearly just ready from jump street

Sephzilla

There's no way in hell I'd bet anything from now until SummerSlam on a match involving Lesnar vs Reigns. The avatar bets last year for Bryan vs HHH were fun because there was actual emotional investment in the match.

Top Bottom