• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 and 2003 was some like some crazy fantasy booking out of those old wrestling magazines 'what if' sections where they ranked wrestlers and what would happen if they actually feuded. Too bad hardly any were good.
Because they all ended in Triple H burying everyone. Steiner. Booker. Nash. Goldberg. All squashed.

Raw was really bad at that time. Worse than now. Good thing Smackdown was ace.

DMczaf

It kinda freaks me out that the crowd didn't really react to Cena's Word Life theme. Damn kids really only know about Superman Cena? WTF.

RBH

areyouserious.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
It kinda freaks me out that the crowd didn't really react to Cena's Word Life theme. Damn kids really only know about Superman Cena? WTF.

No one knows about anything anymore. Weird to think Cena used to do semi-racist raps on Eddie Guerrero back in the day. Whenever one of these "legends" like Dusty or Slaughter show up on TV in some comedy segment I always think to myself "half this crowd is cheering and laughing because they see an old man talk funny in a costume" or something.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I like how he signals to Bill to walk around the ring.
He doesn't. He's warming up his arm, and does it a bit later in the ring and like he does in general. If that was a legit signal motion, based on how unsubtle it is, it would only happen in a dangerous moment. Not before Goldberg gets on the mic.

Some people reach so far when they don't like a wrestler.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I hope people realise Punk has mentioned several times on various interviews posted on youtube that his father was an alcoholic.

Not sure why Jericho thinks it's a secret lol

Because it hasn't really been a WWE plot point before.

Therefore it's NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

Lothar

Banned
Fantastic Raw tonight, particularly the Rock concert and Jericho getting vicious with Punk.

The only letdown was the Undertaker/Shawn segment. That went on forever and was kind of boring. That didn't make me want to see another UT/HHH match at all.

What happened with the Jericho/Punk feud tonight? I must've skipped that segment.

Jericho talked shit about CM Punk's Dad being an alcoholic and that at WM, he was going to beat Punk so bad, it's going to drive him to becoming the same broken-down, alcoholic trash his Dad is.

TheNatural

My Member!
Jericho talked shit about CM Punk's Dad being an alcoholic and that at WM, he was going to beat Punk so bad, it's going to drive him to becoming the same broken-down, alcoholic trash his Dad is.

Also, through some weird unscientific reason, he said Punk actually craves alcohol and it's in his blood. Didn't know you could crave something you never had.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also, through some weird unscientific reason, he said Punk actually craves alcohol and it's in his blood. Didn't know you could crave something you never had.

You're really simplifying alcoholism. It's a interrelated combination of both genetic and environmental components, growing up in a household with two alcoholic parents would meet both criterion and create a predisposition for CM Punk to grow up to be an alcoholic. There is a scientific component to it along with the social components.

Zertez

Some doctors believe alcohol addiction is genetic, so it does have some scientific merit. Not sure if I buy it or not, but doctors have been arguing nature vs nurture and alcoholism for decades.

steveovig

Zack Ryder is doing the right thing by banging Eve. Sure, he's a loser but he at least he's getting in some good tail.

Dolph was great in his match and he made Sheamus look like a million bucks. HBK/Taker was good, mostly for HBK. I was entertained by The Rock and Cena but none of it really matters in the long haul. How did either of those segments influence anyone to want to see those two fight in 2012?

http://stevegraps.blogspot.com

Just got back from RAW gotta catch up on the thread. The Rock was amazing!!! My bro said the Wrassle GAF sign got on tv a couple of time, yay us!

TheNatural

My Member!
You're really simplifying alcoholism. It's a interrelated combination of both genetic and environmental components, growing up in a household with two alcoholic parents would meet both criterion and create a predisposition for CM Punk to grow up to be an alcoholic. There is a scientific component to it along with the social components.

Some doctors believe alcohol addiction is genetic, so it does have some scientific merit. Not sure if I buy it or not, but doctors have been arguing nature vs nurture and alcoholism for decades.

I'm not simplifying anything, I'm just saying him "craving" alcohol is stupid when he's never had it. This from someone who's grew up with plenty of people in my family with alcohol problems, and drinking off and on myself. I think it's stupid they're playing up this whole "you crave alcohol and by me beating you I'm going to break you and give in to those cravings." It's stupid.

TheNatural

My Member!
Aren't we overanalyzing the whole alcohol storyline here?

No, it's dumb by any metric, but it just really doesn't even have any basis in reality saying Jericho is going to break him and drive him to drink, because he really craves it. If Jericho were saying this to Jeff Hardy or some rehabbed wrestler it would be one thing, it's another to say it to a guy who's straight edge and obviously doesn't care for the stuff.It would at least make a little sense if it was an ex-addict of some kind.

steveovig

No, it's dumb by any metric, but it just really doesn't even have any basis in reality saying Jericho is going to break him and drive him to drink, because he really craves it. If Jericho were saying this to Jeff Hardy or some rehabbed wrestler it would be one thing, it's another to say it to a guy who's straight edge and obviously doesn't care for the stuff.It would at least make a little sense if it was an ex-addict of some kind.

But it's wrestling, not real life. Jericho is trying to get under Punk's skin and it's worked, end of story. Punk will be upset and will want to kill Jericho at Mania or he will lose his winning confidence and lose the match. It makes sense in this world.

Jericho is trolling Punk. Trolling doesn't need to make sense.

TheNatural

My Member!
But it's wrestling, not real life. Jericho is trying to get under Punk's skin and it's worked, end of story. Punk will be upset and will want to kill Jericho at Mania or he will lose his winning confidence and lose the match. It makes sense in this world.

I thought it was going well with the whole 'best in the world' stuff without that being brought up. They should have kept with the whole Jericho getting the better of Punk in some way in the ring and stuff.

Lothar

Banned
I'm not simplifying anything, I'm just saying him "craving" alcohol is stupid when he's never had it. This from someone who's grew up with plenty of people in my family with alcohol problems, and drinking off and on myself. I think it's stupid they're playing up this whole "you crave alcohol and by me beating you I'm going to break you and give in to those cravings." It's stupid.

It's not stupid. He's saying that his blood craves it because there's evidence that alcoholism is genetically inherited. If your family has a long history of being alcoholic, it's probably a good idea to stay away from the stuff. Just having one drink may set off his addiction. His blood wants the drink. I thought it was a brilliantly evil line.

I like the alcoholic stuff. Adds something to the fued and makes it personal. The best in the world stuff was kind of boring, especially since we all know Daniel Bryan is best in the world anyway. Plus the alcoholic stuff adds another dimension to the Punk character and will help him get even more over with the crowd and make him more sympathetic if done right.

Jericho/Punk didn't need the alcoholism stuff.

I actually like that plot and all, but it's a good story to keep in the bag for someone like Ambrose or Cody to use on Punk later down the road. "Best in the World" had enough interesting elements (which they didn't begin to touch) to explore on it's own without dissecting straight edge.

EDIT: Hopefully Punk will bring up Jericho's DUI and writing about how fun drinking and driving in his book is next week.

How was the crowd during the we will rock you sing along? It looked dead like noone was singing during that.

The crowd was into anything The Rock did the entire time he was out there. I think it was more like here's a fast song you don't know the words to, sing it now! The crowd was chanting "Cena sucks" during the song to make up for not being able to sing along.

steveovig

And seeing if Punk becomes an alcoholic .. does?

I don't think this added anything to any sort of draw. It just seemed weird and needless.

At least the program has more depth than just a couple guys coming out and saying they're the best every week. Sure, do it once but everything after that has been old and boring. This brings something new to the program. It makes perfect wrestling sense.

mooooose

Man if we saw the John Cena we did tonight, even a little more toned down from the rap gimmick, this would've been a much more fun feud. Thuganomics Cena actually seems somewhat intense while still being a clown, because he's doing it with style. Instead we get standup comedian Cena and laugh in the face of danger Cena and it fucking sucks.

One thing I HATE is that wrestlers have to wear their merch. It's so fucking lame. Michaels looks 100x more natural in a vneck. Cena looks 100x more natural in a Jersey. Punk looks 100x more natural in band hoodies and shirts (but the best in the world shirt was awesome so that one gets a pass). It's not even a problem that the shirts suck, because they do, it's because it makes them into impersonal cartoon characters, wearing the same thing week in and week out. Just such a stupid thing to try and sell merchandise and not let the characters naturally get over by being REAL PEOPLE.

Written characters in wrestling should be dead. Creative should be a small team booking job of asking people what they think and what feud they should be in and if its a good idea put them together if no one has ideas see what sticks in the undercard and let people be them fucking selves from the bottom up, and if they can't then they can't. Creative is such a limiting stupid shit. Merchandising is such a stupid limiting shit.

Cole spilled water all over the announce desk during the show. They were unplugging and re plugging everything. Might explain the audio problems some of you were having.

TheNatural

My Member!
At least the program has more depth than just a couple guys coming out and saying they're the best every week. Sure, do it once but everything after that has been old and boring. This brings something new to the program. It makes perfect wrestling sense.

Well it just needs to be physical, I liked the way they were going with Jericho getting the upperhand with a rollup last week, and putting him in the lion tamer the week before that. I think the whole storyline was being the best and a build up of gamesmanship, and now they throw in this odd crap about his dad being an alcoholic.

Goddamn that Cena rap was fire. Such a breath of fresh air. He needs to go back to that gimmick 24/7.

He made Rock's singalong bullshit look completely terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom