• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rapping idiot Cena is only marginally better than grinning schmuck Cena. It's like two different shades of shit.

Also, I liked how the 'Rise Above Hate' shirt wearing kids appeared to have little to no recollection of 'Thuganomics' Cena, which just shows you how long he's been doing his 'Marine' shit.

Vicki...would.

Fucking skybox bullshit, don't cut away from the match you goddamn morons!

Dat Ziggler selling.

Loooool, Big Johnny falling over his chair.

"Fukasaurus is too green! Put him up against that well-known ring veteran Jinder Mahal!"

I don't care how beat up he is, I don't care how sick I am of the Deadman gimmick, that entrance is still awesome.

You know who's just awful in every conceivable way? The Miz.

Jericho's promo and Punk's reaction to it were both excellent, Punk looked rattled.

Otunga advert! Holy shit, that was awesome, lol.

Why are Orton and Kane feuding again? And what revenge did Orton ever get for D-Brine concussing him with the World Title?

WrassleGAF sign super visible during The Rock concert.

Does Rock have nothing on Cena other than his appearance? Be a Star, Rock.

OK, Rock's song was pretty cool.

Aaaaaaaand, butchering Queen to close the show. Should have ended it straight after Jailhouse Rock.

TheCrow

Sting vs Nash:

I haven't seen stretches to grap the rope in a long time.
Or fake pass-outs where they see if the hand stays up.
The cruiserweights/luchadors is why I got into wrestling and it's still great. Except for when they started unmasking Juvi, Rey, Phycosis, etc.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The cruiserweights/luchadors is why I got into wrestling and it's still great. Except for when they started unmasking Juvi, Rey, Phycosis, etc.
Yeah me and my sister were first attracted to them. I can remember the first few episodes we watched. I think it was Thunder. We would laugh cause they looked like they were dancing bouncing off the ropes a lot. Then the storylines came and I witnessed some great 98-2001 WcW. She never cared about WWF, and I think we had to go to bed during the last hour of Raw anyway. I watched it some when I finally got a TV in my room. So, yeah, this WWF episode on right now. Never seen it.

Yeah me and my sister were first attracted to them. I can remember the first few episodes we watched. I think it was Thunder. We would laugh cause they looked like they were dancing bouncing off the ropes a lot. Then the storylines came and I witnessed some great 98-2001 WcW. She never cared about WWF, and I think we had to go to bed during the last hour of Raw anyway. I watched it some when I finally got a TV in my room. So, yeah, this WWF episode on right now. Never seen it.

That's like the worst era of WCW you can watch.

TheCrow

Yeah me and my sister were first attracted to them. I can remember the first few episodes we watched. I think it was Thunder. We would laugh cause they looked like they were dancing bouncing off the roped a lot. Then the storylines came and I witnessed some great 98-2001 WcW. She never cared about WWF, and I think we had to go to bed during the last hour of Raw anyway. I watched it some when I finally got a TV in my room. So, yeah, this WWF episode on right now. Never seen it.
Being Mexican I would sometimes catch AAA or CMLL on galavisoin or telemundo every now and then. So as soon as I saw the cruiserweights I was hooked.

And yeah I don't remember this either. Guess I stopped watching by then. The oldest thing I can remember is Sumerslam 98 because of Austin vs Undertaker plus the song. Loved getting free ppv through that black box/filters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
That's like the worst era of WCW you can watch.
Not really, I was 10 years old in 98 and the storylines and wrestlers were good. I don't care about hindsight analysis.

Being Mexican I would sometimes catch AAA or CMLL on galavisoin or telemundo every now and then. So as soon as I saw the cruiserweights I was hooked.

And yeah I don't remember this either. Guess I stopped watching by then. The oldest thing I can remember is Sumerslam 98 because of Austin vs Undertaker plus the song. Loved getting free ppv through that black box/filters.
The mexican wrestlers have impressed me the most to this day. Do they still do a lot of high flying trick moves in the Lucha Libre promotions?

Ugh, I watched them scrambled.

TheCrow

The mexican wrestlers have impressed me the most to this day. Do they still do a lot of high flying trick moves in the Lucha Libre promotions?

Ugh, I watched them scrambled.
Don't really know but I would assume they still do. But I did start watching wwe again once I learned about sin cara/mistico. Unfortunately that didn't work out so well. :(

Anyone got any caps of the WrassleGAF sign? I missed it somehow.

WrassleGAF.jpg

UberTag

WrassleGAF has made it to the big time. Yay us!

Here's my perspective on Y2J's alcohol promo on CM Punk. Because I ultimately agree with what a lot of you have said about it.

First off, was it necessary territory for this feud "right now"? I actually think it's a great area for Brooks and Irvine to explore and it was executed FLAWLESSLY tonight. It gives their feud an edge and if Punk can tap into the deep-seated personal emotion that resides in the back of his mind and deliver promos on the level of the ones he cut against Raven in ROH that will only result in good things.

However, despite all of those good things I ultimately agree with the people in here who question the timing of it. Fighting over "best in the world" and the WWE title on the grandest stage of them all should be "enough" for a main event match at WrestleMania provided that the match delivers in the ring.

Now they're fighting over a third thing because Y2J "made it personal" and there was no real signs in prior weeks that it would transition in this direction. It's too busy. Most WWE angles don't even bother with delving into why two opponents in the ring are motivated to kick each other's asses apart from them being faces or heels. This feud has now transitioned into the opposite extreme of having TOO MANY reasons for these guys to fight one another... all of these reasons dilute and take away from one another so ultimately you're not really invested in seeing the payoff for any one of them.

They haven't even had a formal one-on-one confrontation in a match yet. Chris doesn't need to introduce this element into the feud "to get inside Punk's head" because he's already been shown one-upping Punk in various segments by beating him down and putting him in submission holds. It makes no sense to do this in the organic flow of how the feud has been built. It makes MORE sense to use the alcohol angle as a way to get Punk to offer Chris a rematch after a successful title defense at Mania to land another match at Backlash.

In short, this screams of a feud that's being rushed through all of its cycles because Creative couldn't think of a way to fill an additional four weeks of build with what they had.

In summary, fresh territory to explore? GOOD
Executed to perfection tonight? GOOD
Pacing of the feud as a whole? TERRIBLE

If Jericho is truly the best in the world at what he does, he shouldn't need to unnecessarily tap into the personal demons of his opponents in order to prove it.

In short, this screams of a feud that's being rushed through all of its cycles because Creative couldn't think of a way to fill an additional four weeks of build with what they had.

This. I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't have Jericho instigate the feud with this angle was because they hadn't thought to use it yet.

We've gone from "Everyone copies me", to "I'm the best in the world, not you", to "I'm going to drive you to alcoholism" in a month or so. Ideally, Jericho would have jumped straight into the alcoholic/straight edge stuff right after he attacked Punk for the first time.

Valravn

CM Punk's father being an alcoholic was a secret? He spoke clearly about that in various interviews. I understand why they used it for the feud though.
It makes the feud now more personal from Punk's side. The feud now goes further then the not so very creative reason that started this feud; 'you're a Jericho wannabe, so im gonna kick your ass', and that's a good thing.

Wrestlemania feud building is all over the place
- The non physical rivalry of who can tell more dick jokes between Rock and Cena, this time musically!
- Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania match.....wait it's supposed to be Taker/HHH?
- Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of Punk's problems, i'm getting a rise above hate vibe here, as in the actual idea isn't too bad but the execution could be shaky, Sad Punk on Raw was reminiscent of Sad Cena on the last raw of last year, Jericho's drink theory=Kane's psychology lesson
- Speaking of the hate, Kane and Orton just because
- One of the few feuds with a clear direction (Cody/Show) wasn't addressed on Raw
- Sheamus/Bryan is barely a feud, can we get some actual heat here?

Ehhh, it was an okay Raw I guess, Rock keeps pandering, Cena goes through the usual stuff, ideally i'd say they both have crappy moments but also have some highlights as well but it seems this place is really getting into Stephanie McMahon's Twilight Team scheme, you must pick one side and verbally desecrate the other! By the time WM rolls around there's going to be Team Cenation and Team Bring it labels on people's avatars.

Striker

Will catch some of RAW, if not skim most of it, on Youtube soon. Didn't watch at all. People marking out over Cena's rapper gimmick, lulz. It was shit then and it'll be shit now.

Every build for the PPV has been a gigantic failure. Only Punk-Jericho has seemingly been directed in its proper direction. Everything else is completely flat. Orton-Kane continues to mean no sense at all, but what else is new.

So Raw was.....idk, meh? Thug Cena was okay, Rocky's singing was okay before it turn a turn for the horrible, Jericho/Punk was alright, and everything else was just....there? Two weeks from WM and ultra apathy is kicking in like never before.

I know I'm usually more opinionated and type epic posts that people just respond to with dumb one liners to belittle me, but man, I'm just not feeling it toda.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

UberTag

- Sheamus/Bryan is barely a feud, can we get some actual heat here?
"Nah, heat isn't necessary here.
Instead of worrying about that, let's feed the entire midcard of both brands to Sheamus while the Creative aspect of the feud can focus on whether Daniel Bryan is an abusive boyfriend to AJ."

Even Bryan can't save this mess. Makes me miss the Big Show feud. Ugh...

"Nah, heat isn't necessary here.
Instead of worrying about that, let's feed the entire midcard of both brands to Sheamus while the Creative aspect of the feud can focus on whether Daniel Bryan is an abusive boyfriend to AJ."

Even Bryan can't save this mess. Makes me miss the Big Show feud. Ugh...

Not only was Big Show's feud with Bryan better but he's also got the most well handled feud for Wrestlemania so far, I look forward to which moment Cody will spring on him next and the way Big Show reacts by kicking his opponents ass further actually adds to it.
I'm hoping that maybe Cody will mention how Big Show's only WM victories come from tag matches where his partner was the one who actually got the pinfall (I think) which raises the point that Show can't win without help but I guess that's too much to hope for or takes away from the full on loser show dynamic they have going.

Now if only he hadn't unintentionally mauled Barrett's arm, he is still a bastard and a git!

Back to the wafer thin Sheamus/Bryan feud, maybe I can at least hope for AJ to grow a spine during the WM match and screw Bryan up for his inevitable loss to the "Great White", it wont be quite as awesome as when Linda kicked Vince in the nads at WMX7 but it will do.

Just saw The Rock's song ;D
AWESOME!
John Cena = Crap as always

Completely backways. Rock, for the past 3 weeks, is repeating everything - he is basically a stuck record. Cena, is trying to be different. He us still reusing stuff, but much less obvious.

Cena is easily coming of the best in these promos

Striker

The better Rock things are all coming when it's not in the ring, or posting it on Twitter.

Cena's rap was... ok? Just like his stuff from ten years ago, only slipping in the balls in your face line once. Usually he would be saying that in every other line.

Was the audio for Raw messed up for anyone else?

Kept switching between L and R audio all the damn time.

Sheamus tired to killthe table, and water was apparently spilled onto equipment by Cole during that spot. I think that screwed up the audio from that point forward.

watching the rock sing along.

yeah its pretty lame but damn it if the crowd doesn't love it.

Also the Y2J/CM punk stuff.... that feud doesn't need that. That kind of stuff hits a bit close to home for a lot of people... plus this really isnt a feud that needs a edgy angle to it. Best in the world vs Best in the world.. yadda yadda. Its not hard.

UberTag

WrassleGAF needs to stop talking about John vs. Dwayne.
Why won't you be apathetic about it like me?
The only way Cena goes away is by not talking about him and pretending he doesn't exist.
Like those 50-foot giant mascots from that Treehouse of Horror episode of The Simpsons. :(

Ithil

Not only was Big Show's feud with Bryan better but he's also got the most well handled feud for Wrestlemania so far, I look forward to which moment Cody will spring on him next and the way Big Show reacts by kicking his opponents ass further actually adds to it.
I'm hoping that maybe Cody will mention how Big Show's only WM victories come from tag matches where his partner was the one who actually got the pinfall (I think) which raises the point that Show can't win without help but I guess that's too much to hope for or takes away from the full on loser show dynamic they have going.

Now if only he hadn't unintentionally mauled Barrett's arm, he is still a bastard and a git!

Back to the wafer thin Sheamus/Bryan feud, maybe I can at least hope for AJ to grow a spine during the WM match and screw Bryan up for his inevitable loss to the "Great White", it wont be quite as awesome as when Linda kicked Vince in the nads at WMX7 but it will do.

I'm starting to think they're planning for Sheamus/Bryan to go past WM (no matter who wins), hence why it's slow and thin now. They seem to be setting up AJ to take a larger role, or maybe it's just heat for Bryan.

Once again, the match ought to be a great one, but there's still no reason for it other than Sheamus won the Rumble.

Ultratech

I'm starting to think they're planning for Sheamus/Bryan to go past WM (no matter who wins), hence why it's slow and thin now. They seem to be setting up AJ to take a larger role, or maybe it's just heat for Bryan.

Once again, the match ought to be a great one, but there's still no reason for it other than Sheamus won the Rumble.

It's likely. Just curious on where they can go with it.

No doubt they're setting up for AJ to betray Byran eventually. That or she continues being a battered loyal GF despite Sheamus trying to reason with her.

If anything, I expect worse.

The ppv following Wrestlemania does tend to repeat the WM match line up most years (and usually with better matches) so this is certainly plausible, I expect good things from the match as well though I fear it may end up too short.
But the feud really needs a kick in the arse soon, dare I say that it's actually being overshadowed by all the other SD related matches.

Ydahs

Loved The Rock Concert. It really brought the crowd into it and was entertaining from beginning to end. Don't really get all the hate up in here.
Let us not mention the Queen sing along.

Cena's rap? It was good and it was fresh, but it certainly wasn't memorable. Actually, even though it was nostalgic, I don't think this Cena will be much better than current Cena (especially with censorship and all). With that said, this is how serious Cena should be, actually taking shots at his opponent, not this "RESPEK" and "RISE ABOVE HATE" bullshit we've been getting.

Rock wins this round.

Since everybody is doing this, my thoughts on RAW:

Rock - Cena
It was entertaining, but for a feud between two guys who apparently have legitimate heat between them, lady part, penis, tooth fairy, etc. jokes can't cut it every week. We didn't hear anything new yesterday, it was the same things we heard last year before WM build up. Why can't these two have a serious feud build up (anyone remember HBK-Y2J? a few years back)...is beyond me.

Punk - Y2J
Two people, great on the mic, great in the ring, shitty WWE writing. Not sure where this is going, maybe it gets better next week. This is another one that could have easily used a Y2J-HBK level of build up. Here is really how I saw this one going (high level fantasy booking alert):

1. Both talk about best in the world stuff
2. Punk works the crowd, asks them who they think is best in the world
3. Jericho comes back with how the crowd is sheep. How at one point they changed Y2J and Punk is doing nothing else but following his footsteps. How the crowd booed the same guy when he was in SES and now he says a few things to management they are behind him. But one day, Punk will leave too and nobody will care. Just like they didn't care when Jericho was gone.
4. Punk counters back, says he knows what this is all about. This is about him leaving WWE as a Champion while Jericho left as a loser.

I don't know, sounds good in my head and sounds better than Alcohol loving dad story line.

HHH - Taker
Why didn't Taker go the Bret route and talk about how HBK has screwed people in the past? The fuck with this pure BS. Also, I remember HBK screwing Rock when he was Special Ref. with HHH as the other guy. There is a whole history of the Clique screwing people over, bring that shit up. Build some fucking heat.

And I still can't believe instead of MITB we get a 6 man tag team match.

Kaladin

Rapping idiot Cena is only marginally better than grinning schmuck Cena. It's like two different shades of shit.

Also, I liked how the 'Rise Above Hate' shirt wearing kids appeared to have little to no recollection of 'Thuganomics' Cena, which just shows you how long he's been doing his 'Marine' shit.

Vicki...would.

Fucking skybox bullshit, don't cut away from the match you goddamn morons!

Dat Ziggler selling.

Loooool, Big Johnny falling over his chair.

"Fukasaurus is too green! Put him up against that well-known ring veteran Jinder Mahal!"

I don't care how beat up he is, I don't care how sick I am of the Deadman gimmick, that entrance is still awesome.

You know who's just awful in every conceivable way? The Miz.

Jericho's promo and Punk's reaction to it were both excellent, Punk looked rattled.

Otunga advert! Holy shit, that was awesome, lol.

Why are Orton and Kane feuding again? And what revenge did Orton ever get for D-Brine concussing him with the World Title?

WrassleGAF sign super visible during The Rock concert.

Does Rock have nothing on Cena other than his appearance? Be a Star, Rock.

OK, Rock's song was pretty cool.

Aaaaaaaand, butchering Queen to close the show. Should have ended it straight after Jailhouse Rock.

You and me, we think alike. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

It's likely. Just curious on where they can go with it.

No doubt they're setting up for AJ to betray Byran eventually. That or she continues being a battered loyal GF despite Sheamus trying to reason with her.

If anything, I expect worse.

AJ will cost Bryan the WHC at WM. Mark my words.

Bowser

Loved The Rock Concert. It really brought the crowd into it and was entertaining from beginning to end. Don't really get all the hate up in here.
Let us not mention the Queen sing along.

Cena's rap? It was good and it was fresh, but it certainly wasn't memorable. Actually, even though it was nostalgic, I don't think this Cena will be much better than current Cena (especially with censorship and all). With that said, this is how serious Cena should be, actually taking shots at his opponent, not this "RESPEK" and "RISE ABOVE HATE" bullshit we've been getting.

Rock wins this round.

@JohnCena Desperate times call for desperate measures. I take nothing personal. Truly glad to see @therock back! He needed that tonight #WM28

smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom